HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 11:49 AM

Like others mentioned, the change that this development will provide that area is going to be pretty significant. Projects like this are great though, as they are providing infill on former vacant lots or brownfields all over the city, and bringing more people into pockets of the city vs outside the greenbelt.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDROttawa View Post
Howdy! I'm a longtime lurker and I figured I'd try to add something to the discussion.

I snapped some photos (apologies for the quality) while walking my dog yesterday. They are moving quickly, particularly with the hotel you see on the left. Note that Claude's chip truck has adapted to its new neighbour, now offering coffee in what I assume is targeted at the workers.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the update!

Anyone know who owns the land Claude's occupies?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
Like others mentioned, the change that this development will provide that area is going to be pretty significant. Projects like this are great though, as they are providing infill on former vacant lots or brownfields all over the city, and bringing more people into pockets of the city vs outside the greenbelt.
Claude looks to be saving up for a move! Their prices are completely insane now, worse than any other chip wagon I have visited this year. I turned around and won't go back.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 12:47 PM

8 story building has topped out and work has shifted back over to the 35 story building.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotajoe View Post
8 story building has topped out and work has shifted back over to the 35 story building.
Should go up fast they have little or no podium here should top out early spring.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the update!

Anyone know who owns the land Claude's occupies?
Claude's is situated in the hydro lines right-of-way. Not sure who owns it, but I doubt anything will ever get built their unless they move the hydro lines.

I just had a look on geoOttawa, and shows the adjacent hydro right-of-way plots as being owned by the Ontario, but not the particular one that Claude's is on.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 11:06 PM

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 1:36 AM

It's cool to see a lot of recent progress on the future second tallest building in Ottawa, third tallest in Ottawa-Gatineau (115m, not 110m). It's still hard for me to imagine a tower of this height in this spot, it's going to be a bit of a sore thumb for a few years.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 7:45 PM

14 and counting!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 1:47 AM

Somehow managed to fit in a big blank wall on the hotel. Bravo.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 6:20 PM

The tower portion of this one seems to be rising pretty fast. It's now visible & peaking through driving east on the 417 around the Riverside/Vanier Parkway exit. Tried to count # of floors it was at but I was the driver so.. that was difficult.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
The tower portion of this one seems to be rising pretty fast. It's now visible & peaking through driving east on the 417 around the Riverside/Vanier Parkway exit. Tried to count # of floors it was at but I was the driver so.. that was difficult.
Do us all a favour; if you want to count floors, be the passenger.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 4:24 AM

Could you walk to Byward Market from here? The Glebe?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
I mean if u wanna walk for 2-3 hours yes.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har13 View Post
I mean if u wanna walk for 2-3 hours yes.
1:20 from Rideau Centre on Google Maps. I typically do 20,000 steps a day, do for me that's highly walkable.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
1:20 from Rideau Centre on Google Maps. I typically do 20,000 steps a day, do for me that's highly walkable.
I don't disagree but I would also say that walking for 1h20min along the ottawa river pathway and walking 1h20min in the vanier/st-laurent/Cyrville area is a different ball game. the latter is not a pedestrian friendly area.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
I don't disagree but I would also say that walking for 1h20min along the ottawa river pathway and walking 1h20min in the vanier/st-laurent/Cyrville area is a different ball game. the latter is not a pedestrian friendly area.
Donald/Somerset isn’t too bad.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I counted 20 floors last week. I think they've added one since. It's moving upwards quickly.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
Absolutely - I wouldn't walk the whole way - but if you take the Confederation line - it's no problem.

It's about a 500m (6 or 7 min) walk to Cyrville station on the Confederation Line.

To get to the Byward Market get off at Rideau Station - at most the whole journey takes 20 to 25 minutes.

To get to the Glebe - get off 2 stops earlier at Lees Avenue - then it's maybe 2.5km walk (30+ minutes) to the middle of the Glebe. Or take the #55 from Lees Ave down Main street - exit a Clegg, walk west across the Flora Footbridge.

Last edited by vtecyo; Dec 7, 2023 at 6:39 PM. Reason: more detail

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 8:30 PM

If I lived in this tower and worked in the Glebe, I'd totally just take my bike on the train.

If you don't own a car and don't want to go downtown from a suburban/urban outlier building. Good luck to you.

When I was without vehicle, I chose my residences based on whether there was a frequent transit route to work, and whether that route also had a grocery store between my office and home. (i.e. I lived at Heron and took the 118 to Centrepointe). I lived on Stewart and took the gold ol' 14 to Gladstone and Bank. Heck, I even lived at South Keys and took the O-Train to Carleton (that commute was by far the best) or the 97 to the bars.

In any event, living on Ogilvie shouldn't be so bad with the vicinity to the train station and St. Laurent. Just depends where you're headed every day for work/school/play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecyo View Post
Absolutely - I wouldn't walk the whole way - but if you take the Confederation line - it's no problem.

It's about a 500m (6 or 7 min) walk to Cyrville station on the Confederation Line.

To get to the Byward Market get off at Rideau Station - at most the whole journey takes 20 to 25 minutes.

To get to the Glebe - get off 2 stops earlier at Lees Avenue - then it's maybe 2.5km walk (30+ minutes) to the middle of the Glebe. Or take the #55 from Lees Ave down Main street - exit a Clegg, walk west across the Flora Footbridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa