HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 7:07 PM

Besides the new Delux 2-Go, opening up next the original location at 32nd St/ Camelback, Delux has already moved on from Southbridge for it's 2nd full location, and will be opening it, instead, elsewhere in downtown Scottsdale. The exact location though, I haven't heard yet (???).

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 8:22 PM

I applaud them for wanting to go with all independent businesses, but exceptions could be made. There's a big difference between a local business with a couple locations and a nationwide (or even multistate) chain.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkfromaz View Post
He turned down Delux?!?!? Tag this one "walking failure..." Can't wait for it to get bought out and a REAL developer to get in there. I'm pretty sure that A. Delux is not going to be duplicated and B. even if it were, it would be successful and attract the kind of people they're looking for.
wow, quick to be negative. With the exception of Tempe, Scottsdale is really the only other city in Phoenix making an effort to drasticaly transform the downtown area and make it that much more pedestrian friendly. One year from now, downtown Scottsdale will be very different. Southbridge, The Mix, Plazas at Main Street, Third Avenue Lofts, Safari Drive, Safari Drive retail development, Camelview Village, Portales Place, the W Hotel, Fashion Square Redevelopment, the parcel south of Nordstrom (forget the name). With many of these developments bringing in prominent national retailers like Barneys, Sprinkles (cupcake place from Beverly Hills), and Taste Lounge (club from San Jose), Southbridge is making an effort to be independent.

Look at whats to come before you judge. Moreover, why would you want a Delux, when the original is less than 5 miles west of this location?

www.southbridgescottsdale.com
www.themixshops.com

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 2:25 AM
Desert Urbanite

I find this independent retail concept interesting, since I work for Scottsdale. Better for me to take lunch and head on over to the shops along downtown. I support mom-and-pop businesses. I recommend trying the Downtown Deli, on Goldwater just south of Indian School, next to the Poisoned Pen Bookstore. The folks are nice, and the sandwiches are delicious. They don't even sell Coke or Pepsi, but RC Cola instead!

Ever since I started my job as a Planner with the City in May (a huge jump from urban-happy Tempe), it has been an eye-opening experience. Never have I seen a city so strict on signage (which is what I do, I review all signage in the city), and so particular on open space. It's awesome to see why Scottsdale is well-designed and beautiful (and visually pleasing). Now if only the Mayor and Council would support light rail. Sigh.

-Andrew

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 4:51 AM

More Residential Units and Fashion Square Update

Quote:
Old Town Lofts latest addition to downtown boomPeter Corbett
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 12, 2007 11:19 AM

A developer who drew criticism a year ago over its modern design for a building renovation is going ahead with construction of 21 lofts above retail shops.

Red Mountain Retail Group Inc. is planning the 4020 Scottsdale Old Town Lofts, southwest of Scottsdale and Indian School roads. The three-story building formerly housed medical offices.

The lofts, kitty corner from the landmark Sugar Bowl Ice Cream Parlor, will have views of Camelback Mountain to the northwest.

"We're excited about this mixed-use project and delighted to have found this unbelievable location in Old Town Scottsdale," said Michael Mugel, Red Mountain chief executive.

The company, based in Santa Ana, Calif., controls about 4 million square feet of shopping centers in seven states.

Merchants fought modern look
Last summer, some Old Town merchants were less than thrilled with Red Mountain's plan for Scottsdale.

The merchants and Scottsdale City Council member Betty Drake complained that the lofts building would be out of character with Old Town's Western look.

Red Mountain added red brick to the façade and other elements to gain City Council approval of its plans.

The developer has gutted the building and plans to complete the project by December.

The first floor will include about 7,200 square feet of shops. Residents will park in an underground garage.

Prices for the lofts range from about $465,000 to $675,000 for units of 900 to 1,300 square feet. That's about $515 per square foot.

To put that into perspective, the office building sold in 1994 for $700,000, roughly the cost of one loft today.

1,400 condos in pipeline
The Old Town Lofts are among the most recent new entries into downtown's residential building boom. Construction continues on a half-dozen condo projects of close to 1,400 units. That includes the Residences on Main, Scottsdale Waterfront, Optima Camelview Village, X Lofts, W Hotel Scottsdale, and Safari Drive.

Developer Chris Camberlango of Vanguard City Home said Safari Drive is completing its first phase and should move in its first residents in September. About half of the initial 97 units have been sold.

"I think that people are just barely beginning to realize how amazing downtown Scottsdale is going to be," he said, adding that a planned new Barneys New York store and renovated Scottsdale Fashion Square will be a big plus for the area.

Safari Drive, northeast of Scottsdale and Camelback roads, is starting work on its landscaping on other improvements along the Arizona Canal, at the edge of its property.

Canal banks get landscaping
Canal-bank improvements are also underway to the southwest at Scottsdale Waterfront and SouthBridge.

"It's really going to start to blossom," Camberlango said of downtown.

Realtor Laura Rightenberg said she is seeing more traffic from serious buyers for downtown condos and few, if any, quick-flip investors.

"For a while, people were sitting around, waiting for the bottom of the market to hit," she said.

Rightenberg, who recently moved into Optima Camelview Village, can now walk to her Realty Executives office at Fashion Square.

"That is one of the joys of being down here," she added.
Quote:
Ferragamo coming to Scottsdale
Angelique Soenarie
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 12, 2007 02:41 PM

SCOTTSDALE - Valley shoppers with deep pockets can get a taste of Italy and add Salvatore Ferragamo to their list of high-end boutiques.

The Florence, Italy-based luxury retailer plans to open a 2,800-square-foot boutique in late July at Scottsdale Fashion Square.

This is just one of several luxury brands Westcor, one of the Valley's largest mall developers, is luring to Scottsdale Fashion Square. A Barneys New York store is slated to open in the mall's east wing in 2009.

The Ferragamo boutique, slated to neighbor Kate Spade in the mall's west wing. will be the firm's first valley store and sixth in the nation. Besides its high-fashion women's and men's apparel, the brand is known for its shoes and leather and silk accessories.

"The Scottsdale clientele has a built-in appreciation for the qualities that define the Ferragamo House - quality, style, craftsmanship and innovation," said Vincent Ottomanelli, president of New York-based Ferragamo USA. "We know that many of our most loyal Ferragamo clients live around, or travel to, the Scottsdale area, making Fashion Square the perfect forum for a new Ferragamo boutique."

In the Valley, the high-end label is sold at Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom.

Ferragamo USA Inc. is a subsidiary of the family-operated Salvatore Ferragamo Italia, which internationally has more than 234 boutiques.
A lot is happening downtown!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek05 View Post
A lot is happening downtown!
now if they would only build a bloomindales and a diesel store in scottsdale i would then be satisfied.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 5:13 AM

My sister was recently at Scottsdale Fashion Square and said she saw a sign for a Diesel and G Star Raw store opening soon. I havn't been able to find any info on this and havn't had a chance to see for myself, but it would be awesome to have both.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 5:21 AM

^^ I think she saw the HUB store expansion. They are like tripling their store and moving to the third floor. I believe their space is being taken by Judith Leiber.

But HUB is essentially a denim store, stocking Diesel, AG, Energie/Miss Sixty, G Star Raw, Rock and Republic, Replay, etc.

Westcor is trying to get Bloomingdale's to come to Fashion Square, but I think they are in talks with One Scottsdale and City North as well. Guess they are looking for the ideal location

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 5:50 AM

Hmm, maybe that is what she saw...since I can't seem to find any news online about it and I assume it would make news.

Good to hear that HUB is expanding and hopefully bringing in more designers which you mentioned. I know they sell a lot of Diesel and some G Star Raw, but last time I was there they said they stopped stocking Energie and I've never seen Replay sold there.

Armani Exchange has also recently signed a lease to open a store at Scottsdale Fashion Square in spring 2008.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 10:35 PM

One other store I forgot to mention...Puma is also opening in 2008 at Scottsdale Fashion Square.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek05 View Post
wow, quick to be negative. With the exception of Tempe, Scottsdale is really the only other city in Phoenix making an effort to drasticaly transform the downtown area and make it that much more pedestrian friendly. One year from now, downtown Scottsdale will be very different. Southbridge, The Mix, Plazas at Main Street, Third Avenue Lofts, Safari Drive, Safari Drive retail development, Camelview Village, Portales Place, the W Hotel, Fashion Square Redevelopment, the parcel south of Nordstrom (forget the name). With many of these developments bringing in prominent national retailers like Barneys, Sprinkles (cupcake place from Beverly Hills), and Taste Lounge (club from San Jose), Southbridge is making an effort to be independent.

Look at whats to come before you judge. Moreover, why would you want a Delux, when the original is less than 5 miles west of this location?

www.southbridgescottsdale.com
www.themixshops.com
Sorry for the delayed response. I think there is great reason to be excited about downtown Scottsdale's future, my objection was more specific towards this Unger fellow and his "selectiveness." Delux is a proven successful restaurant, with highly-rated food and a great atmosphere. Compare with some of the other new concept restaurants that have gone in in this area: (these aren't really comparable, but as examples they work) Taneko Japanese Tavern and Olive&Ivy. Both are brand new, never-before-been-tried in Phoenix restaurants, and both are generally considered failures by the Valley's most stringent food-critics (check Chowderhound.com forums and look for the Seftel review in AZ Republic for confirmation).
My argument is simply that Unger is not showing good business sense by turning down Delux. The next Delux location is not going to be like a McDelux copy of the original, the ambiance may be subtly different than the 32nd St. location but it won't be totally a carbon-copy, either. I'm not saying that no one should ever try anything new, but get real. Whereas Delux could be a proven tenant with widely-acclaimed food and more or less Valley-wide brand recognition, Unger is going to court someone who will create buzz about a new restaurant for the sake of buzz. Unfortunately, the restaurants in Southbridge will be wildly successful (at least for a while) just because of their novelty and "newness" factor, (see Olive&Ivy) but the overall quality of the Phoenix metro restaurant scene will be degraded until they go out of business and eventually something GOOD that doesn't require an insane marketing budget to be successful comes in.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 12:54 AM

I didn't realize the restaurants had been selected for Southbridge. I think Sea Saw will be great at this location, but I think he's showing a double standard with the same chef opening a sister restaurant (Shell Shock). How is that different from allowing Delux to open its second location there?
Obviously, looking over the list of restaurants, he objected to Delux more on the grounds that it didn't fit the mix of restaurants he thought would be best (there is no burger/bar replacing Delux), which shows a lot of chutzpah but isn't necessarily so dumb as saying it's part of a chain or not original enough for the development. We'll see how long some of these places stay in business after the shine wears off, though.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkfromaz View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. I think there is great reason to be excited about downtown Scottsdale's future, my objection was more specific towards this Unger fellow and his "selectiveness." Delux is a proven successful restaurant, with highly-rated food and a great atmosphere. Compare with some of the other new concept restaurants that have gone in in this area: (these aren't really comparable, but as examples they work) Taneko Japanese Tavern and Olive&Ivy. Both are brand new, never-before-been-tried in Phoenix restaurants, and both are generally considered failures by the Valley's most stringent food-critics (check Chowderhound.com forums and look for the Seftel review in AZ Republic for confirmation).
My argument is simply that Unger is not showing good business sense by turning down Delux. The next Delux location is not going to be like a McDelux copy of the original, the ambiance may be subtly different than the 32nd St. location but it won't be totally a carbon-copy, either. I'm not saying that no one should ever try anything new, but get real. Whereas Delux could be a proven tenant with widely-acclaimed food and more or less Valley-wide brand recognition, Unger is going to court someone who will create buzz about a new restaurant for the sake of buzz. Unfortunately, the restaurants in Southbridge will be wildly successful (at least for a while) just because of their novelty and "newness" factor, (see Olive&Ivy) but the overall quality of the Phoenix metro restaurant scene will be degraded until they go out of business and eventually something GOOD that doesn't require an insane marketing budget to be successful comes in.
actually i think that its good that he turned down delux. he said he wants one of a kind places and hes sticking to his word. people already come to scottsdale for one of a kind places. and like unger says, if people want their chain stores, fashion square is right across the street. i believe the whole concept of southbridge, the whole center will be a destination in itself, and people will want to go there. and taneko tavern is a few miles north of dt scottsdale, and i actually like it ive been there a few times and it looked like their business was great.

in other news, fashion square keeps getting more high class. and im also excited about the east end renovation, where barneys will be. demolition to rebuild the east side starts in august it says

Fashion Square lures another luxury retailer
Angelique Soenarie
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 19, 2007 03:09 PM

SCOTTSDALE - Designer Carolina Herrera, who is known for her stunning gowns at the Oscars, will open her sixth U.S. lifestyle boutique at Scottsdale Fashion Square.

The 3,900-square-foot-store opens this winter next to Tiffany & Co. in the mall's south wing near Nordstrom.

Meantime, the former Robinsons-May store and the mall's east side garage will be torn down beginning in August.

The 270,000-square-foot remodeling of the mall's east wing will include 100,000 square feet of retail space for about 25 to 30 stores, a two-level underground parking area, an anchor store on the northeast corner and a Barneys New York store anchoring the southeast corner.

Other renovations at the mall, Camelback and Scottsdale roads, includes new paint and marble tile. Two handicap ramps on the second level of Neiman Marcus will be available soon.

The Spain-based CH Carolina Herrera line, launched in 2001, offers lifestyle wear for men and women as well as a baby collection. Herrera's store also features leather goods and accessories, including a horseback riding collection of helmets and custom saddles.

Scottsdale Fashion Square continues to be a hub for luxury retailers as the Valley continues to attract companies and new residents to the area.

"It gives retailers a confidence and determination to be a part of this entity," said Anita Walker, a spokeswoman for Westcor, one of the Valley's major mall managers.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 2:24 AM

Same news from EVT

Fashion Square mall to get high-end retailer
David Woodfill, Tribune
Scottsdale Fashion Square will get Arizona’s first CH Carolina Herrera, a high end clothing and apparel store operating in only six markets in the nation.

The store, named after the designer who started the company, will sell men’s and women’s formal and casual clothing as well as accessories like jewelry, belts and handbags.

“We’re really excited,” said Steven Helm, the mall’s senior property manager. “That was a big, big announcement.”

The retailer describes its target customer as refined, feminine women who live active lifestyles, and urban and modern men.

Company spokesmen said the store’s design will feature mahogany and ebony wood and a sharp focus on a creating a warm, appealing environment to customers.

“It’s a warm, sensual place,” CH spokeswoman Alana Kulig said.

Although CH is hoping to attract customers with lower prices than those found in its flagship brand stores — simply called Carolina Herrera — the cost for a cocktail dress can run as high $900 and $1,200 for a man’s suits. CH will sell every day casual wear as well like jeans and polos.

“It’s a very versatile collection,” Kulig said.

Westcor officials said the company was tailor fitting the store to fit customers’ lifestyles in the Valley by offering things such as golf and horseback riding apparel.

The store, which officials hope to open sometime in the winter, is named after the popular Venezuelan designer Carolina Herrera. It will be located in the mall’s southern wing near Nordstrom.

“Mrs. Herrera is pretty much the icon,” Kulig said. “She’s the face of the brand.”

The store is the most recent in a spate of new luxury retailers attracted to the mall. Just last week, mall officials announced the signing of a Salvatore Ferragamo store, an upscale retailer of footwear and accessories, as well as Bottega Veneta, a New York-based seller of high-end leather apparel. Barneys New York is also planning to open at the east end of the mall formerly occupied by Robinsons-May department store.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 4:34 PM

any new news on Citro?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 7:18 AM

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/sto...dest=STY-93876

July 25, 2007
Dial site redevelopment could rival French Quarter
Ari Cohn, Tribune
New Orleans may have its French Quarter, but if redevelopment plans for the existing Dial Corp. headquarters are approved, Scottsdale may get its own “Scottsdale Quarter.”

It’s the latest concept for the project that previously had been called Scottsdale Crossing. The city’s Development Review Board is expected this week to get is first look at the proposal to turn Dial’s 200,000-square-foot Airpark office building on a 29-acre parcel on Scottsdale Road into a 1.2 million-square-foot commercial, entertainment and residential district.

“We’re hoping the idea of a Scottsdale Quarter will catch on,” said George Melara, of the architectural firm Nelsen Partners, which designed the Kierland Commons project immediately across Scottsdale Road from the proposed project.

The Scottsdale Quarter is intended to be a pedestrian-friendly entertainment area centered around a palm tree-lined park. Although Kierland is owned by Westcor and the Scottsdale Quarter is a joint venture involving Vanguard City Home and the Wolff Co., Melara said the idea is to connect the projects in the minds of shoppers and revelers.

“We’re trying to create a district where people will go back and forth between the two,” he said.

It’s expected to take up to five years to finish the project’s three anticipated phases, which ultimately could include 365,000 square-feet of retail, 246,000 square-feet of offices, 408,000 square-feet of residential space, a boutique hotel and a movie theater.

The first phase, which the board will review on Thursday in advance of a public hearing scheduled for Aug. 23, would involve four commercial buildings along Scottsdale Road. Melara said the plan is to have the buildings built and occupied before Dial moves its offices next year to a new building under construction on the northwest corner of the Scottsdale Road and Loop 101, in the $1.5 billion One Scottsdale development.

Where Scottsdale Road intersects Butherus Drive and the Greenway-Hayden Loop, developers plan to build onestory buildings to house a restaurant and a boutique grocery, Melara said.

Two additional buildings intended to house shops and offices are planned to face Scottsdale Road, as well, he said. The rooflines of the two structures would rise from about 36 feet along the road and up to 60 feet further back, he said.

Also, two garages — one 60-feet tall and one 50 feet — with a total of more than 2,500 parking spots are planned on the northern and southern boundaries of the Scottsdale Quarter.

Melara said developers are in talks with local artists to design artwork for several square, 20-foot panels on the garages. The art would change periodically, he said.

“They’re not going to look at all like parking garages,” Melara said. “We’re kind of in the middle of that dialogue right now with certain artists. They’ll be pretty large pieces.”

Hank Epstein, project coordinator for the city, said such large murals are uncommon in north Scottsdale.

“Both would have large, oversize graphics to screen the parking structures,” Epstein said.

The Development Review Board’s Thursday study session is intended to identify any problems that need to be corrected before the Scottsdale Quarter has a public hearing, he said.

“They’re looking at whether or not the project makes sense from a design standpoint, and whether there are any issues that need to be resolved,” Epstein said.

Dave Roderique, Scottsdale economic vitality director, said the Airpark is one of the few areas left in the city where such a major commercial development can occur.

“I think it’s probably a reflection of the growth we’ve seen up there and a demand for a variety of services,” he said. “There aren’t many locations where you can put a major development of this sort. The Airpark is one where you can develop to a greater intensity level.”

As for the building density of the project being about six times greater than the current Dial offices, it may be necessary from a financial perspective, he said.

“Whenever you redevelop property, inherently it’s more expensive,” Roderique said. “Typically, you’re going to need to develop to a higher intensity level.”

Melara said the second phase of building would happen after Dial moves out. It’s offices would then be redeveloped into an entertainmentoriented area with restaurants, shops, and some offices. The first two phases are expected to cost about $100 million to build, he said.

The third phase is more conjectural at this point, he said, but it’s expected to include condominiums and a hotel on the eastern side of the complex.

By the numbers

Scottsdale Quarter amenities (in square feet):

• Existing Dial Corp. offices (to be replaced): 200,000

• Retail and restaurant: 365,000

• Office: 246,000

• Residential: 408,000

• Boutique hotel: 170,000

• Movie theater: 38,000

• Total: more than 1.2 million

Learn more

What: Development Review Board
When: 12:15 p.m. Thursday
Where: City Hall Kiva, 3939 N. Drinkwater Blvd

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 8:32 AM

Oh yeah, sure, that totally rivals the French Quarter.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 7:24 PM

More density in this area would be great. I'm just curious to see how they'll make it easy for pedestrians (or, for that matter, auto traffic) to cross over Scottsdale Road to get to the other side. Sounds like a great opportunity for Phoenix (in whose jurisdiction for sales-tax purposes Kierland lies) and Scottsdale to work together to improve mobility of both Phoenix and Scottsdale area residents, office workers, and shoppers/visitors. Phoenix and Scottsdale are in competition for tax dollars all along Scottsdale Rd, and it's as intense as it gets just north of this site, at the 101. People get short-changed where it's really hard to cross Scottsdale Rd, even if you have a car and you're willing to move it and find another parking spot. Phoenix and Scottsdale need to work together to make it easier to get across the road, especially with an increasing number of residents, both at the 101 and at Greenway. It's a win for Scottsdale, as well, as they get access to the established Westin Kierland tourists on the Phoenix side.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 7:36 PM

It will probably be similar to the Biltmore Fashion Square and the Esplanade across Camelback Rd, maybe they will do a tunnel or a bridge to link the two.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 8:05 PM
Skyriser

http://eservices.scottsdaleaz.gov/ca...x?caseid=33077

has more information on the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest