HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 7:54 AM

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 9:15 AM

Columbus is at 48, which is terrible for May 9th.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/2017050...n-north-linden

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 4:26 PM

watching crime spikes in other growing midwest cities, I feel as if Chicago crime is filtering down to other cities in the midwest. as people leave, some of the shady elements are following too, looking to expand their market. maybe we're seeing a reinvigoration of more organized elements.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Where have you seen that? I haven't seen any cases lately. I was thinking it was unusually quiet.

"Multiple people" were stabbed this afternoon on the UT Campus. The suspect is in custody. At least one person died and three others were sent the hospital.

1 dead - EMS: 1 dead, 3 injured in stabbing at UT campus; suspect in custody - 5/1

1 dead - EMS: Body found in West Campus apartment Monday night - 5/1

1 dead - Two bodies found at South Austin home ruled murder/suicide - 5/3

1 dead - Man charged with murder in father’s death
- 5/7

Pending

Cedar Park woman missing under suspicious circumstances, police say - 5/7
I think I posted about the 7 recent homicides in the metro somewhere in early or mid April. Possibly my information was not correct. What was the Austin metro count from mid March through mid April. How many homicides. I thought there was a multiple up in Williamson, at least one in Bastrop County, and three or four more in Austin during that period.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
watching crime spikes in other growing midwest cities, I feel as if Chicago crime is filtering down to other cities in the midwest. as people leave, some of the shady elements are following too, looking to expand their market. maybe we're seeing a reinvigoration of more organized elements.
I doubt it. Chicago's gang leadership splintered, and that's believed to be part of the reason why violence has increased in Chicago. The narrative can't be that Chicago's gangs have more control over the rest of the Midwest and less control over Chicago at the same time. What seems more likely is that other Midwestern cities are probably trying to shift the blame onto someone else.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:00 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Not at all clear how being splintered would preclude Chicago gangs from infecting other parts of the Midwest. Seems pretty reasonable, actually, that factions in E. St. Louis, for example, might answer to their parent gangs in Chicago. Also not clear how pdxtex's observation relates to "other Midwestern cities ... trying to shift the blame onto someone else." Fact is, though, that Chicago's spawned a whole shit-load of organized crime.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emprise du Lion View Post
I doubt it. Chicago's gang leadership splintered, and that's believed to be part of the reason why violence has increased in Chicago. The narrative can't be that Chicago's gangs have more control over the rest of the Midwest and less control over Chicago at the same time. What seems more likely is that other Midwestern cities are probably trying to shift the blame onto someone else.
well where has the south side diaspora spread? probably indy for sure. they also saw their largest homicide rate ever in 2016. these are only theories but why couldn't gangs reorganize out of state. they would be the bigger fish in a smaller pond. thats what the mafia used to do.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 8:06 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I think I posted about the 7 recent homicides in the metro somewhere in early or mid April. Possibly my information was not correct. What was the Austin metro count from mid March through mid April. How many homicides. I thought there was a multiple up in Williamson, at least one in Bastrop County, and three or four more in Austin during that period.
I'm not sure what the total is at the moment. I've got maybe two posts a few pages back where I posted a few recent cases, but I need to add those to the main list so that it's current. There was another gunshot murder up in Pflugerville today, which I think is their first murder of the year.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 10:07 PM

SF is at 22, after two fatal shootings last week, in the tenderloin and bayview districts.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 3:35 AM

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 2:34 PM
Burming Hammer

Birmingham at 37

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 5:47 PM

SF is at 23 now, after a shooting on Treasure Island

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 10:44 PM

Portland has another homicide after a police officer shot a man with a knife near a train station on the east side of town:

Police: Man displayed knife before he was shot and killed by officer

That would make 7 homicides total, of which 4 are currently classified as murders. The other 3 are 2 police shootings (including this one), and one shooting at an insurance agency which was ruled justified.

Vancouver had a deadly fight between residents of a nursing home which left one man dead, but it hasn't been classified as a murder yet.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 11:41 PM

a homicide is an unlawful and deliberate killing. police shooting somebody brandishing a weapon is called police work. the guy was high and tried to elude police. its a no win for the cops anyway. he was probably a transient living in one of the camps nearby. thank charlie hales for letting drug addicts take over portland open space. I don't have an answer to changing police protocol though. lack of compliance will get you killed, being high, lacking compliance and a weapon? bad news for all parties involved.....we need some kind of less lethal spiderman web.

Last edited by pdxtex; May 12, 2017 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
What about Milwaukee? A very similar city to Chicago and in close proximity. I don't see a 2017 number but a quick Google search turned up an article that there were 141 homicides in 2016, and 145 in 2015. For a city of 600,000 that's pretty high but per capita not as bad as St Louis or Detroit, maybe similar to Indianapolis though.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
What about Milwaukee? A very similar city to Chicago and in close proximity. I don't see a 2017 number but a quick Google search turned up an article that there were 141 homicides in 2016, and 145 in 2015. For a city of 600,000 that's pretty high but per capita not as bad as St Louis or Detroit, maybe similar to Indianapolis though.
yeah i dont know what to say about milwaukee. its basically doubled its murder rate between 2014 and 2015 and white flight there is in full effect. it was kind of the last stop on the great migration and by the time black southerners arrived the industrial bottom had already split town. i think were just seeing a crime wave of decay, not because of a population boom. some black folks from chicago might be moving there but the big winners are columbus, twin cities and indianapolis. my theory is shady elements are leaving town along with good chicagoans but i dont think milwaukee is a lucrative "expansion market". i think that just homegrown crime and fergusson effect policing. the popular narrative is wisconsin is the worst state in the union for black upward mobility. to actually get ahead, the need to leave the great lakes it appears.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 3:23 PM

Montreal had its 4th last night.

This time last year we had 5.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Montreal had its 4th last night.

This time last year we had 5.
Almost 2 months without a homicide until last night, crazy. Although it's the 4th in the city, I still find it annoying that the media/SPVM say it's the 7th because they count open files/police homicides, I know they adjust it at the end of the year but it skews perception IMO.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 6:42 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

nyc
thru 5/7/17

murders

2017: 86
2016: 101
% chg: -14.9%

we've had some real consistently crappy weather though -- it's supposed to heat up to summer temps/80s from here out, so...

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 8:43 PM
Posh

Gun Violence Hits African Americans Most — And It’s Getting Worse
Quote:
But the stark totals don’t tell the entire story.

The percentage of black victims brought to the medical examiner’s office has been trending upward for more than 30 years. In 1985, African Americans accounted for 66 percent of the city’s homicides. By 2016, African Americans accounted for almost 79 percent.

And the number continues to rise: During the first four months of 2017, almost 82 percent of homicide victims were black.

That rise has come as Chicago’s black population has been decreasing. In 1985, African Americans made up about 40 percent of the city’s population; by 2015 the number was around 31 percent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions