HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 8:33 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Interesting, indeed. There was a proposal for a hotel at James M. Wood and Georgia, which is the lot immediately west, but I don't recall any proposals for James M. Wood and Francisco. Searching the LADBS website for permitting activity, there's nothing past 2014 for that address or the addresses along Francisco.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Interesting, indeed. There was a proposal for a hotel at James M. Wood and Georgia, which is the lot immediately west, but I don't recall any proposals for James M. Wood and Francisco. Searching the LADBS website for permitting activity, there's nothing past 2014 for that address or the addresses along Francisco.
Strange. Could it be something lame like a parking lot?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Strange. Could it be something lame like a parking lot?
There would still be a permit. Maybe there is something else/somewhere else we have no clue to look or investigate.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 9:05 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ I couldn't even find a demo permit, which should be on the site.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I agree, but I don't know who that would be. Tech/entertainment/media makes the most sense to me, especially with two new studios happening just across the river and another just south at the current LA Times printing facility. With Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Sony, Discovery, Google and Disney all established in other areas...what else is left? Maybe Comcast or Charter?
Don’t underestimate Google and Apples bottomless real-state appetite for grabbing up thousands more of square footage in the next neighborhood over. Either way, it’s too far off in the future to even speculate. We’ll likely be waiting at least 10 years for this project to finish (or even start) IF it even happens. Just a reminder that 6 years is passing and they’re still tinkering with designs.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Don’t underestimate Google and Apples bottomless real-state appetite for grabbing up thousands more of square footage in the next neighborhood over. Either way, it’s too far off in the future to even speculate. We’ll likely be waiting at least 10 years for this project to finish (or even start) IF it even happens. Just a reminder that 6 years is passing and they’re still tinkering with designs.
The draft and final EIR's came in quick succession which to me indicates that the situation has recent urgency. The fact that the tinkering resulted in even more office space (that almost always goes down when recently proposed projects change) indicates that they expect there to be demand. Yeah, that could be speculation for years out, but the recent rapid movement along with the comment responses makes me optimistic that they have someone attached.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 9:06 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ I couldn't even find a demo permit, which should be on the site.
someone a few wks ago posted a link to the city permitting pg where one of the demo projs was listed. I did some additional searching & found 1 or 2 other smaller properties around the main bldg of the Salvation Army on 9th St (which is remaining) that have permits for demolition. I don't believe what looks like excavation is much beyond the contractor just removing the foundation of this bldg, the one closest in this youtube screen shot of a window in the indigo hotel across the street.....

Video Link

Equity Residential based in chicago had a demo permit around 2020 for the taco house #1 food stand at the ne corner of 4th St & Hill, but they never acted upon it. So even the presence of such permits apparently may not mean too much.

btw, there's talk that crypto.com, the company that paid for naming rights for Staples ctr, may be on shaky ground. So if the Lakers arena is no longer known as staples, it may also not be called Crypto Arena much longer either.

buckle up, ppl, we may be in for a bumpy ride.

Incidentally, a lot more taxes are now supposed to go into dealing with homelessness in hoods like dtla...but the city of SF for yrs has allocated a huge amt of money per yr...way more than LA has done....for fighting homelessness. Yet I don't believe their sidewalks are too much better than those of dtla's skid row, etc.

I recall watching a vid awhile ago of certain sidewalks in the city of Paris that at the time made that city look desperate & chaotic. It gave me a poor impression of what many ppl rank as the world's most picturesque city. If such scenes can do that to a powerhouse like Paris, dtla is even more vulnerable.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Transferring from the Expo Line to the Crenshaw Line seems to be fairly easy. Less of a hike than the schlep one would take transferring from the Gold Line to the Red/Purple Line at Union Station.
although true, at least the Union transfer is all under one climate controlled roof and no need to dodge vehicles other than security barreling through on their gokarts. a better design would have been for the expo crenshaw station to dip under Crenshaw which would have allowed for a direct connection between the lines. either that or elevated above Crenshaw with elevators/stairs that'll take you below ground.

the current layout absolutely sucks for transfers, especially if you're going towards downtown. I guess the mindset is that in the future people who want to go downtown will ride to the Purple Line and take that instead. even going west, though having to cross the light rail tracks (both directions at that) still isn't ideal.

The Expo line was too rushed IMO. a subway under USC (from Jefferson station to western station) and fixing this Crenshaw station would have made the line 10x better.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 7:35 PM

L.A. City Council rejects appeal of Arts District office tower at 655 Mesquit
More offices for the Arts District, more neighbors for the Sixth Street Viaduct

NOVEMBER 14, 2022, 9:30AM | STEVEN SHARP | URBANIZELA

Aerial view of 655 Mesquit looking northeast toward the Sixth Street Viaduct, EYRC Architects

In a unanimous vote taken earlier this month, the Los Angeles City Council has rejected an appeal which sought to block the construction of a proposed mid-rise office tower just south of the Sixth Street Viaduct in the Arts District.

For two years, Continuum Partners and Platinum Equity have sought entitlements for a property at 640-657 Mesquit Street, where the developer and private equity firm hope to construct a 14-story building featuring approximately 190,000 square feet of offices, 4,325 square feet of ground-floor commercial space, and podium parking for nearly 400 vehicles.

Designed by EYRC Architects, the proposed building would rise approximately 195 feet in height and feature an exterior of corrugated metal, concrete, and glass. Besides the proposed commercial uses and associated parking, the project would also include an L-shaped pedestrian paseo at street level, allowing pedestrians to cut through the property between Mesquit Street and Jesse Street.

The tower, which was approved earlier this year by the City Planning Commission, is expected to be built over an approximately two-year period, with completion set to occur as early as 2025.

As with its prior Planning Commission hearing, Continuum and Platinum Equity once again an appeal CREED LA, an alliance of multiple building trade unions, which once again insisted that the 655 Mesquit should be the subject of a full environmental impact report, citing deficiencies in the mitigated negative declaration compiled for the project.

Whether or not market conditions are conducive to the construction of new office buildings, developers are nonetheless proceeding with a number of similar projects in the Arts District - mostly in the industrial area adjacent to the Sixth Street Viaduct. Los Angeles-based Lowe recently completed work on a project a few blocks south on Violet Street, and other firms such as Onni Group, Jade Enterprises, Skanska, Tishman Speyer, and Hines are pursuing their own developments. Likewise, the proposed 670 Mesquit complex across the street would also include a large block of office space.

The 655 Mesquit development is something of an encore for Continuum, Platinum Equity, and EYRC, which previously worked on the Produce LA complex next door on Santa Fe Avenue. The proposed mid-rise tower is set to replace a parking lot which serves Produce LA.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 7:44 PM

I saw this…this is awesome!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I saw this…this is awesome!
But first we get the obligatory CEQA lawsuit, so the building trades can coerce the developer to get their Project Labor Agreement

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
although true, at least the Union transfer is all under one climate controlled roof and no need to dodge vehicles other than security barreling through on their gokarts. a better design would have been for the expo crenshaw station to dip under Crenshaw which would have allowed for a direct connection between the lines. either that or elevated above Crenshaw with elevators/stairs that'll take you below ground.

the current layout absolutely sucks for transfers, especially if you're going towards downtown. I guess the mindset is that in the future people who want to go downtown will ride to the Purple Line and take that instead. even going west, though having to cross the light rail tracks (both directions at that) still isn't ideal.

The Expo line was too rushed IMO. a subway under USC (from Jefferson station to western station) and fixing this Crenshaw station would have made the line 10x better.
I have to agree. I've only made the transfer a couple of times and both times I missed the light to cross Crenshaw and had to wait. I can't recall riding any other transit system where a connection between lines required crossing such a wide street or any street really. London does have connections that require that you go outside and are even longer, but you don't have to cross the street. Even those are between different modes though (tube to docklands light railway, etc) so not quite the same.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 5:11 AM
SUSPENDED

Two important new highrise apt projs & a major dt shopping ctr are in the middle of all this....

https://youtu.be/Zx1ttI12o6A

I recall when a similar fatal incident occurred in the front of Grand Central Mkt earlier this yr, that put a damper on the vibe & business volume of that landmark property.

I realize that new devlpt is rising in or being proposed for the very gritty arts dist, & that things like Skid row & all its crime issues are between that part of dt & the area where 7th & Fig is located. But when the economics of an oceanwide proj are already putting a damper on dt....elsewhere too...I really don't want other bad PR events to be affecting it. Also, I'm not sure how the politics of LA city hall & the city's new mayor will help, not help or even worsen ongoing trends.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst....this is at least some hope....

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 10:45 PM
SUSPENDED

I hope projs like this one offset the delays or cancellations of other ones & that such cultural amenities...the lucas museum too....offset LA's social, political, economic problems...

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 4:00 PM

The remainder of the Onni crane is being installed this morning at Olympic/Hill. Last Saturday was concreting the base and the initial crane piece.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 8:40 PM

This will be fun to see going up. It’s going to be amazing if the tower in front of Whole Foods breaks ground.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 8:52 PM

Caught this of the crane being set up for Hill & Olympic

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDTLA View Post
Caught this of the crane being set up for Hill & Olympic

People who don’t live or visit DTLA will not understand how huge and not just in size, but the impact visually from afar and interior/urban perspective.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 12:11 AM

I'm really looking forward to watching Olympic/Hill rise on the skyline. It's going to continue the southward march of the downtown skyline.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 1:02 AM

Onni should definitely put a live camera perched atop the USC Tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations