HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Even longer ago than that when WestJet first moved east and made Hamilton their eastern hub. I remember the grand plans YHM unveiled with this massive new terminal and jet bridges and how many millions of passengers they would handle. I don't even recall the timeframe of when WS made the move to Pearson but it seemed to happen fast. I suppose the jury could be out on whether the timing was good or not depending on how much of that expansion could have been built, as I'm sure most users would like a newer building there but the expense of that might have bankrupted the place too.
In 2004 they made there announcement. They tripled the flights out of Pearson at that time to go after business (Montreal/Ottawa). Basically when Canada 3000 went bust.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
WS announces expanded codeshare with VS, including points in India and Africa.

Destinations include: DEL, BOM, BLR, JNB, CPT, LOS, DXB and VIA (The Maldives).

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...xpansion-of-co

Article also mentions VS is launching YYZ-LHR in S25. VS already code-shares on WS YYC-LHR.
Never thought I would see them back at YYZ, but VS are indeed returning with daily flights, effective March 30, 2025.

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...ce-to-toronto/

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
Mexicana considering YOW, YVR, and YUL from Tijuana.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mexicana-a...sion-1.6920603
Tijuana? Really. Lol

That's what happens when the Mexican National defense - i.e the military - tries to run a commercial airline business.

Mexicana died in 2010. It should have stayed dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
What an odd list. Did they forget about Pearson?
It's not the lack of YYZ that makes it odd. All of it is odd, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Never thought I would see them back at YYZ, but VS are indeed returning with daily flights, effective March 30, 2025.
VS could never make Canada work. Their most recent endeavour was to YVR back in 2012, and it lasted only 2 years.

Here's hoping their YYZ endeavour lasts longer. The WS codeshare will certainly help. If this flight is well timed with their Indian flights out of LHR, it could work.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
Mexicana considering YOW, YVR, and YUL from Tijuana.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mexicana-a...sion-1.6920603
Linking to the new MEX airport would make vastly more sense and that's what the Ishrion alluded to in their X feed. The TIJ connection would be to PDX according to them: https://x.com/IshrionA/status/179965...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The YOW Airport Authority are certainly taking a wait-and-see approach:

Quote:
"Public statements like this one are often intended to generate interest and encourage the offering of competitive incentive packages," Kealey said.

"While Mexicana Airlines has not contacted the Authority directly, we recognize that the final decision for air service rests with the carrier."

Last edited by Dominion301; Jun 11, 2024 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
Linking to the new MEX airport would make more sense.
Yeah and by same logic it's better to fly to Toronto from Tijuana. The plan seems to be to be back door to San Diego combined with some good connections to Latin America. To Peru and Bogota this might be the easiest and fastest connection available so could even be priced strongly.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yeah and by same logic it's better to fly to Toronto from Tijuana. The plan seems to be to be back door to San Diego combined with some good connections to Latin America. To Peru and Bogota this might be the easiest and fastest connection available so could even be priced strongly.
Mexicana currently has 5 planes. TIJ has one international location (Phoenix).
People need to take this with a grain of salt. This is a coming out of bankruptcy airline now owned by the military who has never run an airline before.

But going from anywhere in Canada to TIJ so people can go to San Diego is as dumb as Flair trying to make Tuscan work.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
It's not the lack of YYZ that makes it odd. All of it is odd, period.
Agreed the whole venture seems odd, but missing Pearson in your announcement of strange routes just seems even stranger than the rest of it.

Maybe they got confused between Ottawa and Toronto? (no offence YOWetal)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 12:13 AM

Touched on this last night on the Ottawa thread when it was suggested YOW-TIJ would be good for connections to other places in Mexico and points south. I pointed out you can't get any further away in Mexico than Tijuana (Vancouver is closer to Ottawa). GC Mapper shows 2363 miles to TIJ. From there, if you want to go to a few Mexican resort areas, Puerta Vallarta is 1050 miles, Acapulco is 1530 miles, and Cancun is 2012 miles. By comparison, those 3 from Ottawa would be 2390, 2412 and 1791 respectively. A connecting flight to those areas would have to be pretty cheap to make that much extra butt in seat miles worthwhile. I'm all for saving bucks but not to fly 1000+ extra miles. You couldn't give me YOW-TIJ for free to connect to somewhere else opposed to connecting in Toronto for the same destination.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Mexicana currently has 5 planes. TIJ has one international location (Phoenix).
People need to take this with a grain of salt. This is a coming out of bankruptcy airline now owned by the military who has never run an airline before.

But going from anywhere in Canada to TIJ so people can go to San Diego is as dumb as Flair trying to make Tuscan work.
Having been to TIJ less than two months ago, this is actually not as bad of an idea as it may sound at first. TIJ has the Cross Border Express which allows passengers to land in TIJ but exit the airport in the US (and vice versa). SAN is a single runway airport and can’t expand its runway capacity, and it also has a nighttime curfew due to its proximity to downtown San Diego. TIJ is basically San Diego’s second airport.

The down side is that Canadians would have to pass through Mexican immigration and then immediately proceed to US immigration, so you’re going through immigration for two different countries.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 12:46 AM

From my understanding, Tijuana has become a gigantic crime-riddled shithole due to the huge presence of Mexican gangs. One of the worst in Mexico. Supposedly the US govt doesn't advise crossing the border by foot due to the threat of being robbed, and worse. Given the recent trends in Mexico and specifically places like Tijuana, I would never consider flying to Tijuana and then crossing the border into the US. Why put your life at risk?

Last edited by Justanothermember; Jun 13, 2024 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
From my understanding, Tijuana has become a gigantic crime-riddled shithole due to the huge presence of Mexican gangs. One of the worst in Mexico. Supposedly the US govt doesn't advise crossing the border by foot due to the threat of being robbed, and worse. Given the recent trends in Mexico and specifically places like Tijuana, I would never consider flying to Tijuana and then crossing the border into the US. Why put your life at risk?
Well, you walk directly into US even without leaving the airport. There's a bridge that let you walk directly from inside the terminal building into US and clear custom there. So it should be fine...?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Well, you walk directly into US even without leaving the airport. There's a bridge that let you walk directly from inside the terminal building into US and clear custom there. So it should be fine...?
And the Cross Border Xpress crossing is only available to ticketed passengers. Arriving passengers in TIJ have two hours after arrival to use the crossing. Access to the crossing from TIJ is located in a secure area of the airport.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 5:53 PM

^ it also isn’t free. $24 one way, or $46 round trip. They do have a group rate as well for families of 4 or more, but everyone needs to cross together.

This being said, flight prices are usually cheaper from TIJ, so even with added customs charge, it’s usually cheaper to fly out of TIJ compared to SAN.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 1:42 PM

BermudAir are already increasing YHZ-BDA from 1x to 2x weekly eff 10JUL24: https://halifax.citynews.ca/2024/06/...strong-demand/

Ops days 36.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
^ it also isn’t free. $24 one way, or $46 round trip. They do have a group rate as well for families of 4 or more, but everyone needs to cross together.

This being said, flight prices are usually cheaper from TIJ, so even with added customs charge, it’s usually cheaper to fly out of TIJ compared to SAN.
The Cross Border Xpress seems to be a very well used service. Read that around 4.3 million TIJ passengers use the service; which is around 1/3 of total TIJ passengers.

If a Canadian was flying into TIJ to access SAN rather than flying directly, they would save on all the customs and security fees the US adds to the cost of a ticket; as US CBP does not charge fees at the land border.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:33 PM

Lynx may be gone but the bickering lives on:

Airports demand millions in unpaid fees from defunct Lynx Air
CALGARY — Airports are knocking on Lynx Air's door to demand $4.1 million in unpaid fees from the defunct discount carrier.
Canadian Press
about an hour ago

CALGARY — Airports are knocking on Lynx Air's door to demand $4.1 million in unpaid fees from the defunct discount carrier.

In court filings, authorities for the Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Halifax and Winnipeg airports are asking for an order instructing Lynx to hand over airport improvement fees that the Alberta-based airline held in reserve.

The documents show that Calgary is owed the most, with the airport claiming to be out of pocket $2 million after the carrier shut down in February.

The unpaid airport improvement fees appear to come on top of the $186 million Lynx owed when it first sought creditor protection nearly four months ago....

https://www.biv.com/news/transportat...nx-air-9085145

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones! Obviously, you don't practice what you preach with this comment.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 7:23 PM

Just a couple comments on the tidbits from the last couple weeks, I haven't been able to do my usual forum participation.

The YYC-LHR-DEL is definitely multi-purposed. Yes there is a lot of YYC-India pax, but they are doing this to bolster their LHR flight just as much. I think WS is eating away at them to Europe (LHR especially) and this was a win-win since India is definitely AC territory (so far at least), plus it ensure full flights to LHR at least. As others have said, the market is massive and yet has only recently resulted in a decent # of flights from cities like YVR and YUL, the market is still wayyyy larger than the level of service we have, but it's a start. The layover in LHR is really long; if you search YYC-DEL on Google Flights and sort by "Duration", the shortest routing is YYC-YVR-DEL, by 2 hours and 25 minutes, so significant. Of course some people want to only fly with AC (the YVR routing is Air India YVR-DEL), and some might like the longer break in London to split the trip up, so just because it's longer doesn't mean it's bad. But it is indeed an unexpected add. Like I said, if you need to add this onto a route like LHR, it might show AC is struggling against WS, and therefore going for something completely unexpected, which WS probably hasn't considered.

I never knew YYC-DEL non-stop was impossible due to high altitude? I can't imagine distance and altitude restrictions will be an issue in the future, aircraft just keep getting better and previous limitations are solved. The difference between now and even the 90s is huge, so many more route pairings are possible. So if the altitude thing is the main issue, do you think that would be remedied with better aircraft (or even new engine variants of existing planes).

I flew Virgin to YVR-LHR in the summer of both 2013 and 2014. Very nice airline, even in economy, but nothing too different than any other decent airline (I feel like business class and up is where you start seeing airlines separate from each other, in economy it was not that different than AC). Ultimately this YYZ add is replacing what WS used to provide back when it hubbed there, but still nice to see them try it. Toronto-London is a huge market, O&D plus all the connection opportunities, in both directions. But it is also well served by competitors (AC 4x daily in summer with heavy aircraft plus 2x daily BA, and 2x daily TS). So VS will be the underdog, WS partnership or not. And they are trying to market the connection opportunities, but compared to BA, they are very limited. Apparently YVR-LHR was successful, but they were encouraged/pressured to move to SEA because of the Delta buyout of VS (well, 49%). VS also joined Skyteam, so SEA made more sense when DL was building it up around that time. But who knows, as always these are just musings.

Interesting April stats. The most striking thing to me is the decline in domestic pax in both YUL and YYC (down 3.4% and 3.7% respectively). Both airports also recorded similar declines (slightly smaller actually) in March as well. Someone shed some light on this for me again, I think one reason was Lynx folding? What was the other reason (s) people think? I am curious, as YYC and YUL are very different airports in terms of their focus, airline dominance, pax profile, etc. Yet both had similar declines for two months, I feel like there are obvious factors that I am just forgetting, so someone chime in. YVR managed a small gain of 1.5% domestic growth, normally a sad # but better than over 3% shrinkages I guess. But both YUL and YYC saw healthy growth in international and/or transborder (YYC had a huge 16.7% international spike, yet very tepid growth of 1.1% transborder, which is kind of surprising given WS operations there?). It is just one month, not nearly enough to indicate any sort of trend or decline, just interesting to know why. What's notable is just how much the domestic weakness pulls YYC down, compared to YUL and YVR. Even though international spiked big, it's relative weight in the pax totals is so low, hence why YYC ended up actually shrinking April 2023-24 overall, just due to domestic pulling it all down. In April, YYC was 65% domestic, and 35% international (20% transborder + 15% international). YUL was even more uneven, with only 27% domestic and 73% international (25% transborder and 48% international). So domestic weakness barely makes a dent. And then there's YVR, which is almost exactly equal, 49% domestic and 51% international (25% transborder and 26% international). So even the components of international are basically the same, and then international overall is basically the same as domestic. Not sure if April is typical of the pax breakdowns, but I never realized just how evenly split YVR actually is. Will be interesting to see what happens traffic-wise in the summer at the big Canadian airports, lots of big expansion happening. WS is putting a lot into YYC, hopefully for them these numbers are just blips, and not indicative of WS not filling as much as they'd like at YYC.

YYZ as elusive as ever, no stats to speak of, unbelievable. They should at least be able to keep up with basically every other airport in terms of reporting. They all seem to doing it just fine, not sure where the roadblock is for YYZ lol. But if use YYZ's 2019 breakdown from StatsCan (they have 2020-2022 as well but those are not appropriate comparisons since air travel was restricted and didn't follow any norms). But in 2019, YYZ was basically the exact inverse of YYC, with 36% domestic and 64% international instead. Who knows now, I suspect domestic might've shrunk even further relative to international at YYZ; they lost a lot of WS, lost Lynx, even TS moved more to YUL. And Flair spreads the love quite well in Southern Ontario, serving YYZ but also lots of the other airports, so not a major factor. Porter could of course change things, we will start to see soon, they will likely tip the balance slightly by increasing domestic. But they also are also doing transborder, so who knows if it will affect the split overall at YYZ. Likely trending to a more international than domestic airport in the long run me thinks.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 8:49 PM

I suspect there is finally a lessening of pent-up Covid demand couple with tighter household budgets. I wouldn’t be surprised to see flat figures or slight declines across the country.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post

I never knew YYC-DEL non-stop was impossible due to high altitude? I can't imagine distance and altitude restrictions will be an issue in the future, aircraft just keep getting better and previous limitations are solved. The difference between now and even the 90s is huge, so many more route pairings are possible. So if the altitude thing is the main issue, do you think that would be remedied with better aircraft (or even new engine variants of existing planes).
The 77L's performance out of YYC is better than the B789. So newer aircraft aren't necessarily the solution.

It's all about power/weight ratio and, more importantly, single engine climbout performance.

The 77L is better at both. The 77L could do YYC-DEL. The 789, at that range, would struggle to lift a meaningful payload out of YYC at anything except colder temperatures (near freezing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Will be interesting to see what happens traffic-wise in the summer at the big Canadian airports
Q1 started with strong results for all the majors, but percentage increases are on a downward trend as peak summer approaches. I think the YTD increases you see so far are a good indication of which airports will fare better.

YTD Jan-April increases, unless otherwise noted.

YYZ Q1 was +8.7%
YVR +8.4%
YUL +9.9%
YYC +4.9%
YEG +1.1%
YOW +13.6%

As I said, there is a good chance all these numbers will decrease a bit.

However, based on these numbers so far, we can say YYZ/YUL will surely lead the pack. A lot of additions there on the international front. YVR should do well also. YYC will not be able to keep up with the 3 majors, and the numbers we are seeing so far is proof. Domestic demand is clearly soft, and on the international front, the number of WS dreamliners is the same as last year. So all WS can do is shuffle around the schedule of the 787s, to maximize routes and revenue. (Cutting LGW and YYC-YYZ, but adding ICN, increasing freq to other Euro cities, etc). It's a net gain of not much. If anything, in terms of overall passengers carried, the 787s could also fall into negative territory compared to last year, due to lack of domestic 787 runs. Those shorter flights in/out of YYC carried a lot of passengers each day.

YOW will tear it up as well this year, mostly because of PD.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jun 15, 2024 at 9:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada