HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:13 PM

Vancouver City Council Favors I-5 transit route

Tuesday, March 27, 2007
By JEFFREY MIZE Columbian staff writer

Travel times would be only slightly faster than Main Street alignment

When it comes to light rail or bus rapid transit, perception might be more important than numbers.

Several members of the Vancouver City Council prefer a high-capacity transit route that would hug the east side of Interstate 5, instead of following Main Street.

Councilman Dan Tonkovich urged Columbia River Crossing officials to go with an alignment that has fewer stops and faster travel speeds.

"That's one of my criticisms of the current light-rail system in Portland," Tonkovich said. "Too many stops."

"The facts don't bear it out, but the perception is very much reality," Councilman Tim Leavitt said. "When folks see the light-rail cars zipping down the freeway when they are sitting in traffic, it's going to be very enticing."

"I like the express system," Councilman Larry Smith said. "To me, that's what light rail does, move people rapidly out of those congested areas."

The decision over high-capacity transit is one part of the crossing project, which aims to ease worsening congestion on I-5 between Washington and Oregon.

Gregg Snyder, consultant team transit manager, said crossing officials estimate that two-thirds of passengers using the transit route will be what he characterized as urban users. The remainder will be suburban commuters who drive to a Park & Ride lot and take transit to Portland jobs.

Both transit routes assume that either light rail or bus rapid transit would cross the Columbia River on a new bridge and head north on Washington Street through downtown to Mill Plain Boulevard.

One option calls for the transit line to veer east, under Interstate 5 on McLoughlin Boulevard or 16th Street, and serve Clark College before heading north along the east side of the freeway. From there, what is being called the I-5 alignment would cross over state Highway 500 and I-5 before ending at a planned Park & Ride lot just north of Kiggins Bowl.

The second option would continue north on Main Street or Broadway until the two streets merge just north of Fourth Plain Boulevard. From there, the transit line would follow Main Street north to the Kiggins Bowl Park & Ride.

Less effect on properties along route

Early estimates indicate the I-5 alignment would have three stations, instead of the six envisioned for the Main-Broadway route. Trains or buses could move passengers faster along the I-5 route, possibly at 55 mph for a short stretch, and would cover the distance in 5 minutes, instead of the estimated 7 minutes for the Main Street option.

The I-5 alignment also has less potential to affect properties along the route. Officials believe they could squeeze a transit corridor between I-5 and K Street, which lines the east side of the freeway north of Fourth Plain Boulevard.

Although council members generally favored the I-5 route, they said Main Street could be served by a trolley or other form of mass transit.

Council members didn't delve into estimates indicating the Main Street route would be cheaper to build and operate, nor did they discuss the prospects for spurring redevelopment, such as what can be seen along the Interstate Avenue light-rail line in Portland.

Following the discussion, Councilwoman Jeanne Harris said she recognizes those benefits.

"Whether it be light rail or a trolley system, it will help the neighborhood far more than hurt the neighborhood," she said.

Jeffrey Mize covers Vancouver city government. He can be reached at 360-759-8006 or jeff.mize@columbian.com.

Update

* Previously: Columbia River Crossing officials three weeks ago released two tentative routes for light rail or bus rapid transit through Vancouver.

* What's new: City council members discussed the routes Monday and expressed a preference for an alignment that follows the east side of Interstate 5.

* What's next: Both routes are expected to be studied for an environmental impact statement.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:47 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Thank god someone is actually *thinking* god forbid. Max does have a lot of stops, and getting an express line through North Portland is a great idea. If you had to take a train from somewhere like the mall area on SR500 on the existing line, then have to slog through all those stops and lights on interstate, it would kill your travel time and there would be little time savings to use MAX. Running it down the freeway is a great idea, MAX works best running along 84 when the stops are few and the trains can make real progress. Plus all the drivers in traffic see the train moving along, visual reinforcement.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 6:03 PM

from http://www.djc-or.com/viewStory.cfm?...29177&userID=1

Co-chairs give two transport packages $350 million
by Libby Tucker
03/26/2007

Alternative transportation scored big in the Ways and Means co-chairs’ recommended budget released by the Oregon Legislature on Thursday.

“There are two key investments we’re proposing,” Rep. Mary Nolan, D-Portland and co-chair of the joint Ways and Means committee said, “subject to the whole deliberative procedure.”

Included in the $15.3 billion budget for the state’s general fund and lottery fund in 2007 to 2009, was the proposed $100 million ConnectOregon 2 multimodal transportation funding package.

The lottery-bond-backed transportation package comes on the heels of the $100 million ConnectOregon package passed by the 2005 Legislature for aviation, rail, transit, and marine infrastructure.

The $250 million Milwaukie light rail project also received an official nod from the co-chairs for lottery-backed bonds slated for 2009 to 2011.

Portland to Milwaukie light rail “has been on the drawing board for quite a while,” said Olivia Clark, TriMet’s executive director of governmental affairs. “The people in inner Southeast Portland and in Clackamas County have been waiting a long time for this.”

Now ten years in the making, the proposed Milwaukie light rail extension project was recently revived by the regional government Metro. If approved, the 6.5-mile line will be completed in 2014, connecting an estimated 20,000 riders to the existing MAX system.

The state allocation will cover 40 percent of the project cost, with the remaining 60 percent provided by the Federal Transit Administration, according to TriMet.

“We need to take advantage of all the planning and preparation for the Milwaukie line,” Nolan said.

Overall, transportation and economic development received $238.7 million of the ’07 to ’09 co-chairs’ budget. The co-chairs’ budget also recommended the creation of a $50 million fund for county roads to supplement money lost from federal timber harvest receipts.

Missing from the budget, however, was any additional allocation for much-needed road maintenance or repair and capital improvement projects. Neither was the proposed Wilsonville to Salem commuter rail extension included.

The Portland Business Alliance, for example, had lobbied for a $350 million transportation funding package to increase freight mobility and decrease highway congestion.

“There’s probably some additional flexibility (for funding) in the transportation subcommittee,” Nolan said. But “probably nothing that would compare in magnitude to those that have already been proposed.”

To view the full budget online visit: www.leg.state.or.us/comm/ lfo/home.htm.

EDIT: oops, didn't see mark's posting yesterday on a seperate thread

Last edited by NJD; Mar 27, 2007 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 4:00 AM

I know somewhere in this thread we talked about the new LED advertisements on the max that would glow and light up...well i had to do a double take when i saw a bus pass by tonight and the ad on the side was glowing. I thought it was the light reflecting or something but it seemed to be one of those new ad formats trimet is going with. Anyways, not big news but pretty cool its expanding to buses

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 6:12 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Whey does Wasington put all of its transit along the freeway? That just makes absolutely no sense to me. People don't live next to freeway interchanges, do they?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:30 PM

Their light rail, currently being built, has very little presence next to I-5.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman
I know somewhere in this thread we talked about the new LED advertisements on the max that would glow and light up...well i had to do a double take when i saw a bus pass by tonight and the ad on the side was glowing. I thought it was the light reflecting or something but it seemed to be one of those new ad formats trimet is going with. Anyways, not big news but pretty cool its expanding to buses
I asked TriMet and the e-mail they sent me said they were trying LED advertising out, but within two weeks the signs on the trains were unlit, and then gone. I'm glad to see they are trying it again because I thought it was awesome!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 7:40 PM

ClackaMAX: Day 1
After decades, light rail to Clackamas starts construction

By Patrick Sherman

The Clackamas Review, Mar 28, 2007
(news photo)

Poised on an embankment overlooking SE Portland's Harold Street, a pile driver rams home the moorings that will support a bridge for the I-205 light rail line.

patrick sherman / clackamas review

Like the heart of a mighty, mechanical titan springing to life, the rhythmic, reverberating thump of a pile diver at work announced the start of construction on the I-205 light rail line this past week.

“It’s really hard to say that there is one specific date when work started,” said Jeff Goodling, the I-205 Design/Construction Director for Tri-Met. “On Jan. 8, we started putting up our field office, and since then we’ve been doing advance work on utilities all along the proposed alignment.”

Among them, a fiber optic cable belonging to the Oregon Department of Transportation that runs alongside the freeway, transmitting images from its traffic cameras and controlling on-ramp meters.

“We would have impacted that in a number of locations, so we relocated it so that it’s out of the way of the work we’ll be doing,” said Goodling.

Four huge pipes, four and five feet in diameter, that transport water from the Bull Run Watershed to the City of Portland, also had to be addressed.

“We needed to protect them, so they wouldn’t be impacted by our construction or operation, and so any future repairs wouldn’t impact us,” he said.

Preliminary preparations complete, the first work on the line itself began March 21, on a bridge to span Harold Street in southeast Portland.

“That’s the first of seven bridges we will build,” said Goodling.
Groundwork laid in the age of disco

Much of the project is actually being built on a foundation laid almost 30 years ago, when I-205 was extended north of Foster Road, after a break in construction. In the interim, Congress passed the National Environmental Protection Act.

“NEPA required a larger buffer zone between the freeway a nearby neighborhoods, to reduce noise and air pollution – things that weren’t considered in the early 70s, when the southern portion of the highway was built,” Goodling explained. “Most important for us was that they set aside land and graded it for a future busway –here is even an existing undercrossing between SE Market and SE Division.

“The work from Foster on south is as challenging as any we have ever done, but a significant portion of the 6.5-mile alignment is relatively easy, because of that earlier work.”

The line is expected to open for regular service in September 2009, at a total cost of $557.4 million. Although geographically removed from I-205, the project also includes a light rail extension in downtown Portland. The federal government is paying 60 percent of the total cost of the project.
Building new relationships

“The important thing to understand is that Tri-Met doesn’t design or construct anything,” said Gooding. “We manage the overall process.”

As work gets underway, he estimated that the transit agency has 10 members of its staff working full-time on the project, with many more contributing on a part-time basis.

“According to the contractor, at the peak of construction, they will have 150 people working on it, plus they will have lots of subcontractors,” Goodling said. “It’s a very fluid thing.”

He himself is working out of Tri-Met’s temporary field office north of Johnson Creek Boulevard next to the freeway. Consisting of five portable buildings, it gives shelter to his team and the joint venture firm heading up construction.

“Each field office takes on its own unique spirit,” he said. “It has partially to do with the geography, and also the individuals involved in the project. Downtown, they are stationed in an existing office building, and we’re in trailers. We have a nice parking lot, but they are really having to struggle.”

Bringing MAX to Clackamas has meant forging new relationships, both with local governments and with individual citizens.

“I think there was a bit of a learning curve for the Clackamas County staff,” said Goodling. “They didn’t know what to expect from Tri-Met, and we didn’t know what to expect from them.

“It took a while for them to figure out that we weren’t big bullies, and for us to understand how efficient and effective they are, but overall, they have been terrific to work with.”

Goodling also reported a groundswell of support in the local community.

“People are enthusiastic – more so than any other project I’ve worked on,” he said. “I’d say that 95 percent of my contacts with local government and the community are positive. Clearly, some people are upset – especially those impacted directly by the project – but every day I run into people who are excited about the project.”
Being green

A key consideration in the development of the ClackaMAX light rail line is its ecological impact, according to Goodling.

“There are a number of important environmental aspects to this project,” he said. “By the year 2025, there will be 38,000 people per day riding the I-205 segment of this alignment. Obviously, that means a lot less vehicles on the road, and less traffic congestion means less air pollution.”

New sound walls will be built along portions of the freeway, using a material derived from recycled tires, and much of the runoff from the five park-and-ride lots being built as part project will be treated on-site.

“Instead of being discharged into a stormwater system, the rain that falls on our parking lots will flow into bio-swales, which are essentially vegetated swale where the vegetation removes the pollutants that drain off the cars,” said Goodling. “Where possible, that will be discharged into a dry-well on site.”

Flowing underground will cool off the water and provide a steady flow to rivers and streams, benefiting endangered salmon.

“This alignment is also unique in that there will be a significant bicycle and pedestrian route that will run almost its entire length,” he added. “That will provide better access to our stations, and over the next 15 to 20 years, I see that becoming a very heavily used promenade.”

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 7:43 PM

Metro bankrolls Milwaukie projects
Millions to fund roads, trails and work on Lake Kellogg; Oregon City fares less well

By Patrick Sherman

The Clackamas Review, Mar 28, 2007

Milwaukie is set to receive $3.6 million from the Metro Transportation Improvement Program, to pay for local road projects. The city will also benefit from an additional $2 million grant awarded by the regional government to pay for preliminary engineering on a proposed light rail line linking Milwaukie to downtown Portland.

“Metro awards about $50 million to the 25 cities that we represent every two years,” said Metro Councilor Brian Newman. “There are always more requests than we have money available. We awarded $45 million this cycle, and there were a total of $132 million in requests.”

The largest single award, in the amount of $1.5 million, will pay for improvements to Harmony Road between 82nd Avenue and Highway 224.

“The long-term plan has always been to widen Harmony from three lanes to five lanes,” said Newman. “Also, the railroad will be elevated, so that it passes overhead. When a long freight train goes through that intersection, it really ties up traffic.”

The railroad is also contributing money to the project, along with other community partners.

The trolley trail – a pedestrian path linking Milwaukie and Oregon City along the route of disused rail line – will receive $1.1 million to complete construction on the final phase of the project.

“It used to carry passengers and freight back and forth between Oregon City and Portland,” Newman explained. “After it ceased operation, the alignment remained the property of a local utility. Metro purchased it five years ago with money from our greenspace bond, along with Clackamas Parks & Recreation.”

Engineering and design is already complete for the last stretch of the trail, which will run from north of Concord Street to Echo Glen, where it will link up to an existing trail in Gladstone.

In downtown Milwaukie, a $1 million grant will fund preliminary work related to the replacement of the Kellogg Bridge and the removal of the dam below, responsible for the formation of Kellogg Lake.

“Right now, the lake is like a bathtub – it’s way too warm for fish,” said Newman. “The plan has always been to return it to its natural state, which is more like a marsh.

“As to the bridge itself, they want to widen it so they can add full-sized sidewalks and a bicycle lane.”

The overall project is expected to cost $8.7 million, with this infusion of cash from Metro paying for engineering and design.

A planned MAX light rail alignment from downtown Portland to Milwaukie received $2 million in funding, again to pay for advanced design work. The overall project is expected to cost $880 million, with 60 percent of the overall funding flowing from the federal government.

“We’re in the environmental impact phase of the project right now,” Newman said. “When that’s done, we’ll seek approval from the feds to being preliminary engineering, which is what this money will pay for.

“Every step of the way, you have to follow their process. They don’t want a lot of projects moving forward that don’t have a realistic shot of getting funded.”

One local project that did not receive Metro’s support was the second phase of Oregon City’s McLoughlin Boulevard project, which would have beautified and enhanced the roadway between the Clackamas River bridge and the Rivershore Hotel. The city’s proposal would have cost $2.8 million.

“It wasn’t that there were any problems with Oregon City’s project,” said Newman. “There was just a lot of competition in that category. They ended up getting beaten out by a project in Portland and another one in Cornelius.”

Newman expressed his optimism that the project would eventually be funded.

“We’re talking about doing a ballot measure in ’08 for transportation issues, and if we can build a consensus around that, we could see this Oregon City project as a part of that proposal,” said Newman.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 8:06 PM

Quote:
The overall project is expected to cost $880 million, with 60 percent of the overall funding flowing from the federal government.
is this a misprint, or the cost to extend it to Oregon City? I haven't seen this almost a billion $$$ figure before!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 8:28 PM

It must be the new combined eastside streetcar/ Milwaukie MAX /bus rapid transit to Oregon City, plus the new bridge cost. $50-60mil/mile MAX, $20-30mil/mile streetcar, $2-25 mil/mile BRT, + $200-300 mil bridge.

Milwaukie MAX is in consideration for $250 mil from the state, which is roughly 40% of its stand alone cost of $550 mil (minus the streetcar and bus projects). the south corridor project split the expensive add-ons into both phases; the downtown mall revamp ($200+ mil) is being built with 205 MAX, and the new caruthers bridge ($200+ mil) is going with Milwaukie MAX making both projects $550+ mil each instead of $300-350 without the mall and bridge work. The streetcar and bus work adds the rest of the $880 overall price tag for phase 2. so, the overall south corridor projects price tag is actually closer to $1.4 bil, which is about the same as what we should expect from a new columbia river LRT bridge and full Vancouver loop from I-5 to I-205 (as far as distance/scope and add-on costs).

Trimet and Metro are smart to phase in costs like this... Trimet is even putting the cost of adding additional MAX vehicles to their fleet to make a downtown transit mall circulator.. is that needed? probably not, but it's a great way to get the feds to pay for 60% of the cost of these additional *new* type of rail cars for the rest of the system to use... (and maybe retire some of the old high-floor cars...)

Last edited by NJD; Mar 28, 2007 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 10:55 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Their light rail, currently being built, has very little presence next to I-5.
I was actually referring to all the bus pullouts you pass by on the freeways in the Seattle area. Always struck me as odd places to pick up a bus, as walking next to a freeway = suicide. Perhaps why I never say anyone waiting at them?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 11:21 PM

Ah...sorry with the wrong response...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:31 PM

Chalk another one up for MAX. While 26 was closed due to the landslide, MAX kept moving, and traffic backed up like this

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...430.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:55 PM

Planners try to connect dots between I-5, 99W

Planners try to connect dots between I-5, 99W

Traffic - Officials study several ideas for a new highway link to keep the Tualatin area moving
Thursday, March 29, 2007
MY-THUAN TRAN

Planners are trying to solve the puzzle of where to build a connector from Interstate 5 to Oregon 99W, a critical piece in unfolding the maze of traffic that snakes through fast-growing Tualatin, Sherwood and Wilsonville.

More than 600 people attended open house meetings in November and December, marking up maps with colored pens depicting routes for the connector.

Planners are screening the ideas that came out of those meetings, whittling them to a few alternatives by May, said Russell Knoebel, Washington County's representative on the project management team.

Some of the ideas being explored:

A connector between 99W in southern Sherwood and I-5 north of Wilsonville.

A connector between 99W in north Sherwood and I-5 north of Wilsonville.

Extending a leg of Interstate 205 west, which would connect to 99W in north Sherwood.

Creating a "hybrid" of road improvements on Southwest Tualatin-Sherwood Road to turn it into a state highway connecting I-5 and 99W.

Many complications stand in the way of the connector, including a price tag predicted to be in the hundreds of millions and the difficulty of determining a route that could cut through developed sections of Tualatin, Sherwood and Wilsonville.

Tualatin Mayor Lou Ogden stressed the need for a connector. "If you build the connector, when your kids will be living here, the area will be just as congested as today," Ogden said to members of the Tualatin Chamber of Commerce during a presentation by Knoebel last week. "If you do not build it, it will be congested longer, and you will strangle the region. The region won't be able to be viable."

Planners have explored a route from I-5 to 99W for the past few decades, but many homes, stores and industrial companies have popped up in the southwest suburbs, eliminating some potential routes.

The number of cars traveling east and west across Tualatin, Wilsonville and Sherwood is expected to double by 2030, Knoebel said. Traffic on Tualatin-Sherwood Road and Southwest Boones Ferry Road near Wilsonville also is projected to double.

The already-congested area also will see more truck traffic in coming decades as industrial development in the project area swells and as growth continues in Marion and Yamhill counties.

Another hurdle is balancing the competing interests of Tualatin, which thinks the connector will alleviate traffic congestion on Tualatin-Sherwood Road, and Wilsonville, which is concerned that traffic from a connector would spill into the city's interchanges.

After the alternatives are chosen and fleshed out, public hearings will be held in spring 2008, Knoebel said, and planners hope to determine a direct route after that.

http://www.oregonlive.com/swweeklytt...750.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 8:02 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Wait, there was a landslide?! WTF?! Why didn't I ever hear about it?

Too strange...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 9:57 PM

Is ODOT widening i-205 from oregon city to the i-5 interchange? The ODOT website is not very clear on projects so i thought i'd ask here. I drove by today and it looked like they were making room for a third lane--which would be nice. The widening of i-5 south of salem also looks closer to being finished.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel
Wait, there was a landslide?! WTF?! Why didn't I ever hear about it?

Too strange...

yeppers, a pretty substantial landslide that blocked all 4 lanes of 26 for 8 hours. The landslide was actually caught on one of those ODOT camera, almost took out an ambulance had it not been for the quick swerve...the story, pics and video are here

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie..._.c21364c.html

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 11:15 PM

Not much new, but interesting tidbits... possible extension being considered to OC? And perhaps we'll see simultaneous OHSU campus/MAX construction?
I hope to see a ped/bike crossing included in the new bridge. That would be a fantastic connection between SE and South Waterfront, and by extension Lair Hill/SW and SE.

pdf here. Includes new streetcar loop.

Milwaukie leaders, residents warm to light-rail proposal

MAX - With new city leadership, shifting demographics and improved route plans, the once-unpopular idea is now progressing

Sunday, April 01, 2007
JAMES MAYER

After a decade of controversy and rejection, MAX to Milwaukie is back on track.

And this time, officials won't be greeted with "pitchforks at the door," says Metro Councilor Brian Newman.

Southeast Portland residents have long sought light rail, but Clackamas County scuttled the idea twice. In Milwaukie, the mayor and two councilors were recalled for supporting light rail. Opponents focused on the route, or the proposed tax increases, but they also objected to Portland-style urban life, complete with mass transit and high-density housing encroaching on their community.

It's different this time around. New leaders want light rail.

"I feel we are farther along than we've ever been," said Milwaukie Mayor Jim Bernard, who appeared at a recent TriMet board meeting to make sure the Milwaukie MAX line wasn't overlooked in all the buzz over a possible eastside streetcar line.

Opposition has melted because planners came up with a better project that doesn't cut through historic neighborhoods, Bernard said. The community has changed as well.

Bernard, who operates the city's downtown farmers market, sees a demographic shift in his customers each Sunday. "They're younger, they use mass transit, there's more higher income levels, they are interested in natural foods," he said.

Other signs: The trendy Waldorf School moved to town, bringing with it high-income families. And new housing is being built downtown.

Some route issues remain, and the siting of a new MAX-only rail bridge over the Willamette River between OMSI and the South Waterfront area is still up in the air.

But the project could be built as soon as 2011, at a cost of about $850 million.

The next step is a Metro study beginning in April to update an alignment approved in 2003, including analysis of the 6.5-mile project's ridership, economic development opportunities and environmental impact.

The project began life in the mid-1990s as TriMet sought a south to north MAX line connecting Clackamas and Clark counties.

In 1994, TriMet voters approved a bond measure for the Oregon part of the project, but Clark County voters rejected funding for their part. In 1996, Oregon voters turned down lottery-backed bonds for the project. In 1998, TriMet voters turned down yet another funding package.

After the 1998 loss, Metro and TriMet focused on expanding light rail in Portland, where voters supported it, and studying everything but light rail to improve transit in Clackamas County.

But light rail remained alive. In 2001, the Milwaukie Neighborhood Association came up with a plan to support light rail if it avoided damaging neighborhoods and met other conditions.

Officials were skeptical. Metro Councilor Newman said both TriMet General Manager Fred Hansen and Metro Presiding Officer Mike Burton weren't sure they wanted to go through another bruising light-rail fight.

The current proposal was approved by Metro, TriMet and local governments involved in 2003, without the acrimony of past efforts.

The project is not funded, but officials don't expect to seek a tax increase from voters. They are eyeing $250 million in bonding capacity that will become available in 2009 when the lottery bonds for the westside MAX will be paid off. That money could go a long way toward meeting the local match required for federal funding.

The first phase, extending MAX along Interstate 205 to Clackamas Town Center, is under construction.

Milwaukie is next. The plan calls for a line that would begin at Portland State University where the new transit mall line will end, cross the river south of OMSI, and head along Southeast 17th Avenue and McLoughlin Boulevard to Milwaukie. It would then go east from North Main Street to the Tillamook branch railroad tracks, ending at Lake Road. The plan features a large park-and-ride lot and 11 stations.

Opposition from North Main Street industrial leaders has prompted study of an alternative route farther east, with a terminus at Kellogg Lake. But officials dropped the lake site because it was donated to the city 15 years ago for exclusive use as a park. Officials also are studying extending the line beyond Lake Road.

The river crossing is the other big unresolved issue.

A lot has changed in the South Waterfront since the original bridge alignment, and planners want to make sure the bridge makes the right connection with a planned major expansion of Oregon Health & Science University.

Transit advocate Jim Howell says the new bridge is a bad idea. Howell prefers to keep light rail on the east side of Portland, with major stations at the Hawthorne and Morrison bridge heads, and at the Rose Quarter.

He says it would be cheaper and provide faster service than building a new bridge and sending trains into downtown.

But officials argue that forcing commuters to transfer to a bus or MAX at the Rose Quarter to get downtown would discourage ridership. The new bridge also could carry the proposed eastside streetcar, which could help share the cost.

James Mayer: 503-294-4109; jimmayer@news.oregonian.com

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 1:12 AM

Milwaukie MAX and Streetcar Loop Bridge Choice

We do need a second MAX Crossing until we go to subways. I would ask that the Ross Island Bridge be looked at for the Milwaukie MAX line (Powell/Foster/Damascus too). What would be the cost? Could the US 26 traffic be moved to a I-5/US 26 tunnel system?

And what would be the cost for retrofitting the Hawthrone Bridge for the Streetcar Loop? It goes right past OMSI, right?

What I like the best about using the Ross Island for MAX is the easy connection it makes to the Tram and the Streetcar line.

If it pencils out that we save money on the two crossings and can bank the differences toward a tunnel system for I-5/US 26, I would jump at an agreement with the Feds and the State.

People seem so wed to their original wishes/desires (new bridge) that the most cost effective (use the bridges we have) and best system configuration (MAX stop above the Tram/Streetcar Terminus) doesn't see the light of day.

EP

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure