HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 6:36 PM

Nice blowout victory for the Bombers.

Last year, the Bombers clinched first with 2 games left and Collaros didn't play the 2nd last game at all, but he did play 1.5 quarters of the final game against the Stamps. Also of note, the Bombers didn't have a late regular season bye after they clinched last year.

Given the Bombers have a bye in the second last week of the season plus the bye for the West Division Semi-Final I'd say it's a certainty that Collaros will play in at least one of the last 2 games. Personally I'd like to see him play a half, maybe a bit more, in the first BC game and 1.5 quarters in the second BC game.

Of course, there is a risk that Collaros or one of the other starters suffers a significant injury in those games and misses the playoffs, but there is a risk of rust if many of your starters, including Collaros, sits for 5 weeks. Rustiness played a major factor in the Bombers disappointing Grey Cup performance in 2001 as Dave Ritchie sat many of his starters in the final 2 games of the regular season. It's kind of a damn if you do, damn if you don't situation.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 8:54 PM

Ya be grateful you're not injured like BC.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 1:40 AM

Canadian Brent Monson deserves to be a CFL head coach candidate
Justin Dunk 3downnation October 7, 2022

Brent Monson deserves to be a head coach candidate in the Canadian Football League and has the ability to lead a team.

Monson has been with the Stampeders for 13 seasons, learning from John Hufnagel and Dave Dickenson in Calgary’s bench boss position. The 37-year-old has gained valuable knowledge from growing up in the CFL’s model franchise since he was 22 years old.

The Hamilton, ON native joined the red and white in 2010. He’s helped Juwan Simpson, Deron Mayon, Alex Singleton, Wynton McManis and Darnell Sankey develop to be among the best linebackers in the league under his tutelage. Monson also spent time on the offensive side of the ball as the Stamps’ running backs coach for three seasons, Jon Cornish’s best years with the team.

For the last three seasons, Monson has designed, implemented and led a Stampeders’ defence that has been the most consistent unit in Calgary, especially the last two years. While Bo Levi Mitchell saw a downturn in production — largely due to injuries — and the offence switched to Jake Maier at quarterback, it was the Stamps’ D that held steady. Various positions on defence have experienced turnover, but Monson’s leadership has kept the unit strong.

There could be multiple head coaching vacancies across the three-down league in the offseason and teams would be smart to interview and consider Monson for that role. The Redblacks already have a vacancy, the Alouettes might look to hire a bench boss if Danny Maciocia doesn’t want dual-role duty anymore and if the Roughriders don’t make the playoffs, Saskatchewan could have an opening.

Ottawa general manager Shawn Burke would be wise to seek out Monson for an interview with the potential for creating an all-Canadian GM and head coach combo. It’s worked out well for the Blue Bombers, as Kyle Walters and Mike O’Shea have guided Winnipeg to two straight Grey Cup championships. Burke is a Guelph native right around the same age as Monson who spent 15 years with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats prior to becoming the GM in the nation’s capital.

Based on conversations with past and present Stampeders players, Monson knows how to lead in a modern way. He understands what is needed to motivate athletes in this day and age, which is critical for success in professional sports. Each player requires unique management and preparation techniques, whether it’s veterans or youngsters. For example, Shawn Lemon is having one of his best seasons under Monson at age 34, while Singleton started as a rookie.

No matter how decision-makers look at it, Monson has the required experience and demeanour to be a successful head coach in the CFL. It’s time for teams to start taking notice.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 3:30 PM
arf

Anemic Riders.

2-2 last week for 45-24 overall.

Another total mess of games to pick this week.

Montreal @ Ottawa: Montreal. Nothing makes sense in any of these games. Montreal loses at home a game they need to win. Maybe they randomly put it together this week or maybe I miss another pick.
Hamilton @ Calgary: Calgary. Calgary can maybe get a home playoff game and they are the better team.
Toronto @ Edmonton: well, they made me look bad last week, but can they play in Edmonton in mid October? Weather should be perfect.
Winnipeg @ BC: nothing to play for for Winnipeg. BC needs to win to try and host a playoff game.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:40 PM
Community Guy

How bad is it in Edmonton?

We have 0/4 takers on the Toronto game and literally cannot give away the tickets.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
How bad is it in Edmonton?

We have 0/4 takers on the Toronto game and literally cannot give away the tickets.
I'm a pretty devoted fan but even I would be having second thoughts if the Bombers were at the point where the Elks are now

(I'd still go, though, hehehe)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 9:46 PM

Rourke was throwing in limited practice for lions today which is promising.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 1:38 PM

Province of Manitoba is going to spend 5.5 million to bid on and try and secure rights to host either 2024 or 2025 Grey Cup.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Province of Manitoba is going to spend 5.5 million to bid on and try and secure rights to host either 2024 or 2025 Grey Cup.
Out of the 4 Grey Cups that Winnipeg has hosted, two coincided with seriously low ebbs in the Bombers' fortunes (1998 and 2015) which made selling tickets a challenge given that the home team was never even in the running to be in the game.

Hopefully the Bombers will still be going strong in 2024 or 2025, although fortunes can turn quickly in the CFL.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 4:06 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Out of the 4 Grey Cups that Winnipeg has hosted, two coincided with seriously low ebbs in the Bombers' fortunes (1998 and 2015) which made selling tickets a challenge given that the home team was never even in the running to be in the game.

Hopefully the Bombers will still be going strong in 2024 or 2025, although fortunes can turn quickly in the CFL.
I believe the Grey Cup is sold out here, but the home team certainly isn't making it. They might not even make the playoffs. We still need to win at least one game, which looks like a pretty big reach.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 9:24 PM

Lions coach Rick Campbell saying there's a reasonable chance Rourke still plays in the regular season finale.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Lions coach Rick Campbell saying there's a reasonable chance Rourke still plays in the regular season finale.
He's their only hope of salvaging their season. Normally it's not a good idea to rush a QB back, but they have to in this case.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 9:34 PM

Quote:
He's their only hope of salvaging their season. Normally it's not a good idea to rush a QB back, but they have to in this case.
He's like Patrick Roy was to the Habs they gotta ride him for all he's worth.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 2:04 PM
arf

Quote:
There's no guarantee BC is winning the home field for the semi-final with or without Rourke. Rest him and have him for the playoff game.

BC plays Winnipeg, @Edmonton, @Winnipeg. Two games against a team that has nothing to play for and will play starters for 40% of the game to keep sharp, but otherwise, those two games are very winnable without Rourke. Edmonton is Edmonton. They are all winnable without Rourke, but Calgary has three games they should win by double digits. Hamilton, @Saskatchewan, and Saskatchewan.

BC owns the tie-breaker right now, but can they win out? Is it worth the home playoff game to risk Rourke? I don't think so, but that's me.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 2:16 PM

^ It's risky to rush Rourke into a regular season game, but it's also risky to give him more recovery time and then throw him into the playoffs cold when he hasn't faced live fire in months. No easy decisions for the Lions here, it seems.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 2:23 PM

2-2 last week to go 46-23 on the season so far... here are this week's picks:

Montreal @ Ottawa - Revenge of the Als. Montreal.

Hamilton @ Calgary - Calgary is chasing a home playoff game while Hamilton is in a dogfight to stay in the race. The Cats will put up a fight but they're no match for the hot Stamps. Calgary.

Toronto @ Edmonton - Should be a walk for the Argos but does this have the makings of a trap game? Toronto.

Winnipeg @ BC - This is a tough call. Bombers are resting Collaros and BC still has something to play for. But the Bombers are the Bombers. Going with my heart here but I'm picking the blue and gold. Winnipeg.

On that note, is anyone a CFL bettor? If so, how are you doing this season? I can't listen to anything sports related without being enticed to bet by a sponsor, but it's just not my jam. I am curious as to how others find it, though.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 6:41 PM

Rod Pedersen reporting the Rock is meeting MLSE head Larry Tannenbaum while he's in Toronto this week and Pedersen then posted # cfl xfl merger. I am doubtful cfl would pursue xfl merger again after the board of governors vote last year on it. However I could see MLSE dropping the Argos and pursuing to join the xfl.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 7:04 PM
arf

Quote:
^ It's risky to rush Rourke into a regular season game, but it's also risky to give him more recovery time and then throw him into the playoffs cold when he hasn't faced live fire in months. No easy decisions for the Lions here, it seems.
Yeah, not really. Calgary may or may not be good weather if that is a concern.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 8:02 PM

Pedersen says its likely just Argos joining xfl not cfl xfl merger. Rock would not have been at leafs game last night doing his shtick for no reason.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 8:43 PM
Community Guy

What an incredible last 2 minutes!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada