HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
In principle, it would be economically practical to reconstruct some of these buildings. And this has been done a lot in Europe in poorer countries like Poland. In NS this can happen in Louisbourg or Lunenburg but not Halifax due to political and philosophical reasons. For example the purpose of historic reconstruction is to evoke characters and events from bygone eras and create quaintness for tourists, and the ideal environment is rural or small town, so why would you spend extra money on a city?
I don't know why reconstructing an old building that was demolished is still such a faux-pas in this era where we atone so much for past mistakes.

Even when a building burns down accidentally, the best you get is a glass frit facade on its modern replacement that evokes what was there before, but only when the sun is shining in the right way, and then only in a heavily-pixellated grayscale.

Luckily, this development in Toronto - if it gets approved and built - might signal a change in this thinking.

The ornate centre block was destroyed in a fire in the sixties, but the flanks remain, albeit with missing cornices and detailing:

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 9:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I don't know why reconstructing an old building that was demolished is still such a faux-pas in this era where we atone so much for past mistakes.
Hopefully that will be rebuilt in Toronto.

Looking at the setup in Halifax (I don't know what it is in most cities), it's hard to see who would fund or implement the reconstruction. In Halifax it's basically always private developers but their goals vary and their resources are limited. The municipality operates under a sense of continual crisis mode (except for building hockey rinks) despite having modest tax rates and a low debt. NS has some weird "have-not" politics that are increasingly disconnected from reality. Halifax transitioned relatively quickly from many people arguing that there should be no standards because developers can't build anything otherwise to arguing that there should be no standards because of high prices and the housing crisis. There are also just a lot of mediocre councillors who waste a lot of time on minor stuff.

Unfortunately, heritage advocacy was somewhat blended with NIMBYism and very strange economic theory. Instead of just arguing for heritage preservation the heritage people spent a lot of time fighting density. And a lot of younger people seem to be YIMBYs now.

NS had some of the weakest heritage rules around. For example, heritage building registration used to come with no benefits other than a plaque and a 1 year period before municipalities would issue a demolition permit. If you want to change these laws in NS you have to convince a bunch of old guys living in McMansions in rural areas why it matters to a city they have a certain disdain for.

I do think the quality is going up but it's because of more $$$ and more sophisticated developers often working against municipal and provincial politics. Cogswell is led by the municipality so for now it won't have a heritage component. In theory it could happen when developers propose buildings, but by then there will be more constraints.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 9:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Big Dig comparison is interesting because while the spirit of the mediocre public space is similar they're radically different projects. The Big Dig was way over budget, ran at something like $24B in 2000's dollars, and was primarily designed to move volumes of car traffic underground, with the public space on top being considered a generous public benefit. Cogswell has no underground infrastructure and little specific infrastructure aim. It's supposed to be revenue neutral.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 7:49 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Will the city at least allow something to be built on that right (west?) side?

Otherwise, what was the point of all this? It looks better, but if it doesn't function better then an opportunity will have been missed.

Seems that Cogswell was built in an era before planners started to understand the importance of the and between Transportation and Land Use. And if this example doesn't change in time, it would seem they still don't understand that!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Or stone buildings like this:

Source

Getting back a bit of the feel of what this area used to be like was not on the planning radar at all. The process seemed to be based around traffic planning and later some consultants implementing modern planning theory and people grappling with accounting and public finance questions, with major points reported by the media being cost recovery and maximum permitted height and density. "Will this new area be appealing" was farther down the list or maybe that question was implicitly deemed to be about density limits and greenspace percentages. What do you mean you don't like it? We exceeded the tree planting quota by 34%.

Honestly, I was a little pessimistic about Cogswell in the past, but I’ve actually lately become more optimistic. To be clear, I don't credit council with this--the planning process and public conversation around it was as rudimentary and uninspiring and technocratic as Someone describes. But there have been recent developments that make it seem much more likely that we're backing by happenstance into a better situation.

First, city council recently kicked off a process to implement more controls around building design, seeming to belatedly recognize that we were risking a situation in which we basically just built a dozen podium towers flanking overly wide roads (a problem which lots of people were talking about years ago, and which was mostly fobbed off dismissively at the time). City council is now looking at selling off development blocks in smaller parcels, and creating additional guidance around design and frontages to create a better pedestrian experience. This is belated—but better late than never.

Second, council also jacked the density to about 200 people per acre, which is around Jericho Lands levels, and hopefully means not just a livelier area but more money to work with.

Third, while quality of local development still lags the showpieces in larger cities, it also continues to improve—the projects at Queen’s Marque, Richmond Yards (not the tower design but the street-level space), and the new phase at King’s Wharf all show a marked improvement over even the recent past. And this will be seen as a place to show off.

Finally, I’m also not too bothered by that one suburban office-park looking grassy area; it’s basically just a glorified traffic island with a pedestrian/cycling cut-through, next to the real public space, Granville Square, which is unbuilt. A depiction of that area is around 4:30 here. The renderings of the district basically show what’s currently being built there, and the rest of it looks much better. (Even in that little pocket park, the quality of finishings are quite nice in person.)

A lot remains to be seen, but I think I think there’s a very strong chance this comes together with a high quality of public space and a reasonably good architectural level as well. What’s regrettable is that there wasn't a better planning process from the beginning, that really might have been more ambitious from the get-go. I certainly don't expect any historic reconstruction. And the street network is still oversized. Though I suppose the upside is lots of space for cycling lanes and dedicated transit right of ways. Still, it'll be more boulevards than intimate urban streets.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 5:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Third, while quality of local development still lags the showpieces in larger cities, it also continues to improve—the projects at Queen’s Marque, Richmond Yards (not the tower design but the street-level space), and the new phase at King’s Wharf all show a marked improvement over even the recent past. And this will be seen as a place to show off.
Queen's Marque is interesting in that it's modern looking but also incorporates local materials and some traditional design motifs. It has solidity and massing that complement that area and isn't just another airy condo podium development that could have been built in 100 different cities. If there's some of that around Cogswell it will help a lot. It would be better still if there were more historically-aware quality "placemaking" with some oomph (not just plaques or decorative art pieces) but we are talking about the difference between B+ and A there, not D and A.

I think the added density and activity around there is likely to improve adjacent areas and tie in with them well. Scotia Square is likely to be busier for example and this area is going to end up with a full complement of amenities for residents while today it's a dead zone for basics like groceries since it's an office district.

Another big issue in Halifax is there isn't much long-term transit planning. This may change in the next year or two since the province created a regional transportation authority. They should have a sense of what could be built in the next 10 or 20 years so they can take advantage of funding opportunities and cheaper opportunities to build cut-and-cover underground infrastructure. IMO Halifax is going to have a lot of demand for some underground transit eventually, sooner rather than later if several high density infill blobs with 3-5k units each are built. In transit planning terms, the stuff on the drawing board today is already 10 years out.

Another complaint I have is that council has the dubious ramparts bylaw that restricts heights on all of these parcels. Somebody needs to go to council meetings and ask them if they really want to waste millions of dollars on that, selling these parcels for less than they'd be worth without this height limit. Policies like that aren't free even though they don't get a budget line item.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 5:06 PM

Two new neighbourhoods popping up in Quebec City on what used to be industrial/commercial land. The architecture of the individual buildings isn't particularly memorable but I must give props to the city planners because these new dense neighbourhoods accomodate a great mixity of housing options, have very few surface parking lots, include parks, are very pedestrian friendly, etc.

First, Pointe-aux-Lièvres, a piece of land situated next to the St-Charles River which used to be a heavily industrial area.

5min away from downtown, in d'Estimauville, a vast piece of commercial land (old Canadian Tire) saw virtually no developement for several decades. When the Federal governement decided to relocate most of its employees in one single location, it initially planned to build a new office building downtown. The municipal governement eventually convinced the Federal to build its new offices (320 000 s.f.) in d'Estimauville instead, thinking it would help revitalized that part of town. You can see that building in the lower left of the first pic.

That decision had its intended effect has it spurred additional investments, both private and public. A second office building soon followed so that now, there is about 800 000 s.f. of brand new office space with 3500 new jobs. Again, one of the things I like is the diversity of housing options: rentals, condos, low income housing and townhouses, all centered around a park and a public garden.

The large parking lot in the center of the second pic is/was supposed to be a main transit hub of the tramway.

As a side note, the new d'Estimauville cluster examplifies why Quebec City doesn't have a typical North American skyline. Instead of encouraging the construction of new office space downtown, which would have had an impact on the skyline, it instead choose to form another employment cluster close to existing services and an under used highway (over built 1970's highway would be more accurate). For a relatively small agglomaration, Quebec has several of these nodes: downtown, Ste-Foy, Lebourgneuf, D'Estimauville, Lévis, etc.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 11:25 PM

Edit

Last edited by davidivivid; Jan 11, 2024 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 11:41 AM

Is there a sprawl thread? If there is I'm blind and couldnt find it. Interesting drone shot of a new urbanist development in Cobourg.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 2:21 PM

What do you find interesting in that ???

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 2:40 PM

I as much as anything wanted to know if there is a sprawl thread. I swear there used to be? Obviously it would be better placed there. Other than that though, I don't know what to think of the concept. From the street these neighborhoods look a lot better, but I'd perhaps rather a driveway in the front and a larger backyard. That said, the way things are going these days, you get a driveway in the front yard and next to no backyard anyway.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 4:51 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I as much as anything wanted to know if there is a sprawl thread. I swear there used to be? Obviously it would be better placed there. Other than that though, I don't know what to think of the concept. From the street these neighborhoods look a lot better, but I'd perhaps rather a driveway in the front and a larger backyard. That said, the way things are going these days, you get a driveway in the front yard and next to no backyard anyway.
Here, it took some sleuthing, but this is the best I could find.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=215287&page=6

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Here, it took some sleuthing, but this is the best I could find.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=215287&page=6
Thanks! Looks like I was the last person to post in that thread, and about the same development

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 7:26 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Is there a sprawl thread? If there is I'm blind and couldnt find it. Interesting drone shot of a new urbanist development in Cobourg.

There's nothing terribly wrong with these types of neighbourhoods, except would it kill them to put a corner store here and there? Or a small corner grocery, a bakery or fruit store, or something?
You know like something you can casually walk to in case you need milk or bread or something? Instead these types of neighbourhoods force everyone to have to drive to do or get anything. Nightmare.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 8:16 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
There's nothing terribly wrong with these types of neighbourhoods, except would it kill them to put a corner store here and there? Or a small corner grocery, a bakery or fruit store, or something?
You know like something you can casually walk to in case you need milk or bread or something? Instead these types of neighbourhoods force everyone to have to drive to do or get anything. Nightmare.
Yeah that's the main issue along with a lack of diversity in housing options sometimes leading to segregation by class and income with block upon block of the same structure type and/or ownership model. Also, while it's tough to tell in this case, the street layout can make a place less appealing for active transportation and less efficient for transit by having dead ends, culs-de-sac, etc. making trips longer than necessary.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 8:56 PM

In an ideal world, yes, but I'm not sure what kind of store a standalone community of 500 people, all of whom own cars and have existing options, can support.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 11:07 PM
Ham-burgher

I wonder if there is snow clearance in those "alleys" -- if there is it's probably at homeowner's expense.

I lived in an older neighbourhood where there was a narrow alley in back and many homes had separate garages and parking spaces back there (many also had front driveways too, which was excessive but more common where newer houses had replaced the original ones over the years). The alley could get treacherous in winter and while the snow would pack down, deep ruts would often develop. Unlike many alleyways here it was paved but not maintained by the city, so it was rough in summer too where the surface was poor.

I also wonder how many people make use of those porches. Some do appear to have furniture. For a few years I lived east of Toronto and one odd behaviour I rarely see since moving back to this area years ago was people sitting in their garages during warmer months -- I only really saw it in Ajax and Pickering, but perhaps it's more common than it seemed?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 2:57 PM
Riki beach

Nouvelle murale ''Jusqu'au bout'' sur la Place Saint-Laurent de Rimouski

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
A little seasonal cafe in the park would be nice too.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 3:55 PM

There is actually retail planned on a boulevard once the development is built out.

Those buildings circled on the right have already been built but don't have a retail component.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada