HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 1:07 AM

Development almost complete
Halifax News Net

By Joanie Veitch – The Weekly News
The exterior cladding of Founders Corner is just about complete and the custom-built town clock is ready to be inset on the building. Founders Corner, downtown Dartmouth’s newest development, is almost ready for opening.
While the development group behind the project, Nova New England Group, had hoped to have the grand opening in August — on the 100th anniversary of the former historic Masonic Lodge that stood on the site — due to some unexpected construction delays the opening will now be in September.
“The floors are concrete, refinished and stained, and required a certain humidity level to seal. It’s been a wet summer, so that process took longer than we had anticipated,” said Jim Brennan, vice president of Nova New England Group.
When complete, the building will have 37 condominiums, two office units, a solarium and rooftop garden, along with a main level market area and cafe.
With its prominent location at the Ochterloney and Wentworth intersection — and the site of the former Masonic Lodge building — Founders Corner is a project many locals have been watching with interest.
“This is a very sophisticated building in a beautiful part of town. With the Quaker house across the street and the beautiful post office building behind it, it’s going to be a lovely block,” Brennan said.
As well as dealing with high humidity levels, the construction phase turned up a few surprises too.
Following the demolition of the original building in 2007, a time capsule was found. Although moisture had corroded it to a point where most of the documents were ruined, the idea of creating a new time capsule took hold.
“With the 100th anniversary of the original building coming up, it seemed fitting. We’ll be dedicating the new time capsule in the interior of the lobby,” Brennan said.

joanie.veitch@gmail.com

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 12:35 PM

there was also an article on the same page about the cafe and the croissants and the coffee, but I don't know how to post it. Looks good. JET

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 2:08 PM

I was by the site yesterday. Hopefully I'll get some pics next time. But the railings for the balconies have been added to much of the two front sides of the building and it does make it look much nicer. The one thing I'm still not liking though is the corners of the upper floors. Where the building turns a corner there appears to be a large gap between the material.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 3:20 PM

Some pics from last Friday.
This development is shaping up quite nicely. It's not perfect and not exactly what we had invisioned. But I really like it non the less. It has a great presence on that corner and I think the architecture is fairly unique.

And some bonus pics of the nice church just down the block.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 4:03 PM

I wish the upper portions were a little more distinct from the lower - would help define the different volumes more.... baby steps though, on the whole I think it's positive.

*sigh* It's sad when we have to say "baby steps"

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 5:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The corner is nice. I don't mind the darker brick lower floors, except for the fenestration near the top - it would be better if they were all rectangular windows. That is one example where adding more decorative elements can actually make a building look worse. It reminds me of the McMansion style of architecture.

The upper floors look cheap. There is probably no avoiding that with that sort of cladding. A better approach would be a lighter, more modern looking top clad in glass, or more brick, but that would be more expensive.

Appearance aside, this is exactly the sort of building this part of the city needs. With 10-20 more of these downtown Dartmouth would be able to support things like a real grocery store and would become much more desirable.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 12:05 PM

The photos are excellent, but when you stand on the corner you can really get a sense of the Lodge by itself, without it being overshadowed by what surrounds it. I wasn't sure how it would work, but it's really good. The details are very well done on the Lodge. JET

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
The photos are excellent, but when you stand on the corner you can really get a sense of the Lodge by itself, without it being overshadowed by what surrounds it. I wasn't sure how it would work, but it's really good. The details are very well done on the Lodge. JET
Anyone have a pic of the original Lodge to compare?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Anyone have a pic of the original Lodge to compare?
http://www.nnegroup.com/historic_wings.html
Click on the thumbnails at the bottom

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 7:14 PM

They are finishing up the outside work, sidewalks etc; the clock should soon be up on the Lodge. JET

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 7:18 PM

I saw some moving vans the other day too.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 12:55 AM

I saw on live at 5 that they put the clock up today. Going to take a spin down there tomorrow to have a look.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 3:03 AM

I walked by on the way to work. The clock looked good. Although at that time it was not running. Perhaps they turned it on during Live at 5. There is also a sign up for the new cafe that will be opening on the Ochterloney street frontage. It will be called If Two By Sea.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 11:47 AM

"If Two By Sea."

I thought that it was "Two If By Sea"

They have an unfortunate step-down at the entrance. They went with too many levels fronting on the corner entrance. JET

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 11:54 AM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 4:18 PM

Yah, that's it. Sorry I got it messed up. I didn't understand it until I asked someone. And they told me it was reference to Paul Revere. Which still seems a little odd to me. But whatever. I just hope its a good quality place. We need one badly on this side of the harbour.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 6:58 PM

There is the paul Revere/Boston reference. Two if by sea was also a Dennis Leary movie, filmed in Nova Scotia, Hubbards, Prospect, Chester.
Should be a good cafe, her croissants are excellent. I heard that people from Halifax come to Dartmouth for them. Now ain't that a thing! JET

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 8:55 PM

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 8:59 PM

^Looks okay from that angle. Hopefully the front is a lot better though.

Why is there a Pete's truck out front though?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 9:04 PM

From street level I think it looks pretty good, looks like decent quality construction. The Pete's truck is probably for Nectar, a restaurant a few doors down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth