HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 3:37 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Decided to play around with the weather, to make it similar to what NY weather has been like lately. It needs a distance haze effect...but pretty good considering the results I got when first playing around with it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 3:39 AM

This building is turning out to be a beast, and monstrosity which isn't a bad thing.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 9:15 AM
Because I'm Clever!

There we go...much more dreary and hazy.

Just for you LeCom

Last edited by STR; Jan 10, 2011 at 9:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 11:46 AM

STR , you have enriched our thread no end, more amazing stuff, thank you

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 2:22 PM

STR, those renderings are a work of art and so is 1 WTC. As it goes up and I can see it take shape, I'm liking it more and more. I love the geometry of this buidling and the glass and stainless steel cladding really bring it out.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 2:56 PM

Fun stuff!

I live in Greenwood Heights with a view of downtown and have bought a pair of binoculars for the express purpose of watching WTC1 rise. Can't see it quite yet...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 3:01 PM

From the above photo and angle from my apartment I am guessing it will rise somewhere between Trump and Chase, anyone have a clue?

Bonus shot of DT Brooklyn and the ESB

Last edited by Inkoumori; Jan 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 3:35 PM

[QUOTE=ivymike;5120284]From the above photo and angle from my apartment I am guessing it will rise somewhere between Trump and Chase, anyone have a clue?QUOTE]

I'm going to put it more to the left, as you can see where the WFC is located. I'd say it rises behind 55 Water Street in your pic.

Actually you can see a sliver of 1WTC between 55 Water street and 20 exchange place right now in your pic.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 4:00 PM

^Wow, well done. I see it!

Thanks JSsocal

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 4:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Beautiful cam shot from today...

Extra pic from dasjabadas

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Has West Street been straightened over the the future pedestrian underpass that links the WFC to the WTC site and beyond? I thought I remember seeing a very exaggerated curve in the road there, or perhaps it's still there and not visible within the photo...

EDIT: Wait, the curve is just barely outside of this picture, right?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 5:24 PM

Yes, the curve is obscured by the pedestrian bridge, and is then behind us in the shot. It'll be a while before west st gets straightened out.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 5:47 PM
Back to Basics

^^Those pics are at least a week old... This is a screen capture from just a minute ago...

(Screen shot from Discovery webcam found here: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-risi...-pictures.html )

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 5:56 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Ahh, thought there was something wrong. Still, a day just as beautiful (also Discovery cam btw).

baldeaglebluff

hrvojep

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 6:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
Yes, the curve is obscured by the pedestrian bridge, and is then behind us in the shot.
Cool, thought so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
It'll be a while before west st gets straightened out.
Probably not until the pavillion AND the museum are completed as it seems they're using that staging area to deliver materials to the museum underneath, correct?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymike View Post
^Wow, well done. I see it!

Thanks JSsocal
from your viewpoint, you need a skyscraper on either side of the Woolworth Building to be built to fill that space in. .....boy is the Beekman Tower a great addition down there

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 8:09 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

1. Is the spire design fully settled and publicized in detail, or is there still a fudge factor? All the renderings I've seen make it look really flimsy and cheap, like just a trusswork covered in some thin material.

3. The base of the spire - is that design fully settled, and if so what are those circular, radially-facing elements going to be? Transmission dishes? Windows? Mirrors? Plain white surfaces?

2. I'm sure this question has been answered, but I don't much feel like combing through the pages looking for it - why are they only cladding half the building? Are they planning to clad that half all the way up and then do the other half, or will they start doing the other half when the thoroughfare-facing side reaches a certain point?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 8:13 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
1. Is the spire design fully settled and publicized in detail, or is there still a fudge factor? All the renderings I've seen make it look really flimsy and cheap, like just a trusswork covered in some thin material.
Well...yeah. It's an antenna, so you can't exactly cover it in 3" sheets of steel.

Quote:
3. The base of the spire - is that design fully settled, and if so what are those circular, radially-facing elements going to be? Transmission dishes? Windows? Mirrors? Plain white surfaces?
Directional antenna dishes.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 8:56 PM
No grabbing my banana!

STR,

IMO, the "hazy" views of WTC1.v2 make it look more realistic than ever, although I can't quite say why. Perhaps it's the fact that there are precious few times that the sky is actually that shade of blue shown in your other renders, if ever (it looks like a morning winter sky more than anything). Or, perhaps, we encounter that "hazy" sky that you show in your render more frequently, and for longer periods on a cloudy day, than we encounter that shade of clear blue sky. Or maybe, it's a variation of the uncanny valley effect, in which the sharp, crystal-clear details look less realistic and more prone to nit-picking (relatively speaking), while the vaguer details shrouded in the mist more or less still look like their real-life counterpart (I know that's not the uncanny valley effect is actually about, but bear with me).

Well, whatever the reasons are, your "hazy" renders have brought WTC1.v2 and vicinity to life like never before. And we'll just see how lifelike the renders are in a few years, during a day with a similarly cloudy sky.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 11:31 PM
Because I'm Clever!

I'm not sure the uncanny valley applies to non-human objects. However, there's no mistake that the newer renders look better, I tweak the settings and materials all the time. I think I'm really getting close now, and have even started thinking about emulating the reflections, but I'll let you guys be the judge (time of day, framing and color balance are approximate)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive