HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I've never been convinced that the best plan is to have all major business centralized in a downtown area, but also realize that this isn't an opinion that should be expressed on this forum, so that's all I'll say about it.
Oh dear. I never expected you to become a victim of urbanist bullying, Mark.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Oh dear. I never expected you to become a victim of urbanist bullying, Mark.
I don't want to upset anybody. It seems that my comments have been hurting a lot of feelings lately, even though I haven't been participating here all that much. Apparently I've been driving people away from this board with my insensitive posts.

Just call it the kinder, gentler me.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 3:29 AM

Quote:
I don't want to upset anybody. It seems that my comments have been hurting a lot of feelings lately, even though I haven't been participating here all that much. Apparently I've been driving people away from this board with my insensitive posts.

Just call it the kinder, gentler me.
Although I sometimes disagree with your posts I have never seen anything that would drive people away. This site is a place were we can discuss differences in opinions openly and from what I have seen with respect. People need to realize that different opinions are a good thing that can only serve to strengthen society as a whole. With the exceptions of racism, sexism, and a few other revolting opinions we should all be free to share opinions wether someone likes them or not.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman Halifax View Post
Although I sometimes disagree with your posts I have never seen anything that would drive people away. This site is a place were we can discuss differences in opinions openly and from what I have seen with respect. People need to realize that different opinions are a good thing that can only serve to strengthen society as a whole. With the exceptions of racism, sexism, and a few other revolting opinions we should all be free to share opinions wether someone likes them or not.
Thanks for the completely reasonable post. I agree that it’s okay to disagree, and in fact such disagreement can often result in a learning experience, and at the very least a chance to be heard and to likewise understand others’ points of view.

Following the drama in the Cogswell thread, though, I remain unsure where to draw the line between frank honesty of my viewpoint, and adjusting my writings such that I don’t hurt the feelings of some participants who obviously have different thresholds for what constitutes a personal attack. As I wade through this, I have to question whether participation here means enough to me to even bother participating. That’s where I’m at.

As a side note, long ago I came to terms with the fact that the internet is full of people with diverse perspectives and motives. No surprise here, but there will sometimes be people whom a reader might be better served to ignore rather than simply falling into their game and letting them ‘play’ you. It’s easy to fall into, especially if you have other stressful or unhappy situations in your real life that you are dealing with, but in the end it’s always better to step away from the forum and take a deep breath, rather than getting drawn into it. I’m still learning, but am much better than I used to be. Hopefully others will take this into consideration moving forward.

That’s all l’ve got. Hopefully nobody will be offended by it, but regardless it’s complete honesty… so agree or disagree, at least it’s real.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 5:01 PM

Quote:
I've never been convinced that the best plan is to have all major business centralized in a downtown area, but also realize that this isn't an opinion that should be expressed on this forum, so that's all I'll say about it.
I agree - I don't think all major business should be centralized. Why should being able to live close to where you work be reserved only for peninsula-dwellers? That doesn't mean I think that the current approach to suburban business parks is healthy though. I feel like mixed-use buildings and avoiding acres and acres of business-only is much better. "Urban," but on a smaller scale.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Following the drama in the Cogswell thread, though, I remain unsure where to draw the line between frank honesty of my viewpoint, and adjusting my writings such that I don’t hurt the feelings of some participants who obviously have different thresholds for what constitutes a personal attack. As I wade through this, I have to question whether participation here means enough to me to even bother participating. That’s where I’m at.
That entire thing was quite bizarre, between the hit-and-run poster who arrived with guns blazing and was here for a short time before disappearing when not everyone agreed with him, and the cycling activist who seemed unable to grasp why everyone would not fall into lockstep with his views. Not much you can do with certain people and their attitudes. You have done nothing wrong. I would not worry about them.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 11:30 PM

Found on Facebook. Wants someone to buy and move a trashy looking house before it gets torn down for a commercial development. Any ideas what the new building is?

Quote:
House only for sale. You must move it within 3 weeks. 30,000.00 or best offer. Solid house, need gone for commercial development. Located at 802 Main st in Dartmouth. You can use Google maps to view it. Will require 5000.00 deposit if you want it and remainder paid before dismantle or move. Land not included. All moving labor and costs buy purchaser. Need gone asap

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 4:42 PM

Quote:
That entire thing was quite bizarre, between the hit-and-run poster who arrived with guns blazing and was here for a short time before disappearing when not everyone agreed with him, and the cycling activist who seemed unable to grasp why everyone would not fall into lockstep with his views. Not much you can do with certain people and their attitudes. You have done nothing wrong. I would not worry about them.
It was a little bizarre and unexpected for me.

To be clear, I don’t feel I’ve done anything wrong, just reconsidering how I read the room (I think if I had broken SSP rules, the mods would have stepped in). It seems like there’s an underlying anger towards anybody over 50-ish who doesn’t completely buy into today’s flavour of urbanism (or urban planning ideals), and perhaps just being older is enough. I say today’s flavour because most of us over 50 have seen urban planning ideals change many times over the years, and have no reason to believe that today’s ideals are the be all and end all - they too will eventually evolve into something else.

I can’t get into their heads to completely understand where they are coming from, but I can change how I communicate here. Perhaps I need to be more sensitive to their feelings about such topics, and just not state my opinions when they go against popular urban ideas. Or maybe just continue as normal and not worry about it. Perhaps they hate me/us because we represent (in their minds) some general whitewashed version of revisionist history that doesn’t have anything to do with how it really was, but targets “boomers” (and I’m starting to see “gen X” included) as being the cause of all their problems and thus the target of their disdain. I don’t know, and I’m finding myself caring less. I used to be about finding common ground and bringing people together, but now I feel that this very idea is probably distasteful to them.

So… I’m not sure where I go from here. Don’t want to upset people, but at the same time I don’t want to be disingenuous or dishonest. Don’t want to drive our younger, more sensitive members from the board, but then maybe this isn’t something they should participate in - other parts of SSP are much less friendly than here, in my experience. Social media in general brings out the worst in people in many cases.

On a side note, I’ve been considering starting a “Disagreement and argument” thread where people can take their fights rather than clog up the thread in which it starts. Like when halfaxed came out swinging somebody could say “take it to the disagreement thread” and let it play out there. That way, anyone who just wants to read the actual thread topic doesn’t have to wade through the garbage (a complaint of Mr halfwhatever IIRC). Just a thought, but I don’t know if it would work, or what the mods would think about it.

Anyhow… enough about that, now I’m clogging up this thread… lol. Just trying to be a responsible citizen of SSP, and honestly thinking about whether this is even a worthwhile place to spend my time and share my ideas.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 5:35 PM
Closed account

ODM - I have certainly never felt personally attacked or offended by you, and I never said that I did. You seem like a decent fellow (except with your sort of churlish and melodramatic mischaracterizations of the complaint I made here and here after wading through several pages of the usual off-topic squabbling and name-calling.)

I was simply supporting others in saying why several former regulars don’t like to participate here anymore, and I did not name names. Those who took that so very, very, very personally might want to ask themselves why.)

The only thing I had to say to you after you responded was that you have a tendency to go on and on and on debating a topic for several pages, writing lengthy essays in each comment…and then complaining that you don’t like debates that go on and on forever, seemingly with no self-awareness that you are the common denominator in pretty much every one of them in this forum. You just don’t let things go and anyone who wants to catch up with the actual topic at hand, here has the weed through pages of pages of that stuff.

This very thread is a case in point. You two are STILL writing at length about a dustup that happened FIVE DAYS AGO - I guess the truth really does hurt - again with seemingly no awareness that here you are yet again, dragging something out forever.

You gotta let people have their opinions sometimes. You can’t always beat them out of it by wearing them down with more and more explanation and repetition. As you keep saying yourself, not everything has to be a long drawn out debate. Take your own advice.

Or as they say, “be the change you want to see in the world.”

Last edited by Half-Axed; Jun 11, 2024 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 6:54 PM

[QUOTE=Half-Axed;10223277]ODM - I have certainly never felt personally attacked or offended by you, and I never said that I did. You seem like a decent fellow (except with your sort of churlish and melodramatic mischaracterizations of the complaint I made here and here after wading through several pages of the usual off-topic squabbling and name-calling.)

I was simply supporting others in saying why several former regulars don’t like to participate here anymore (and those who took that so very, very, very personally might want to ask themselves why.)

I participate LESS because I don't live in Canada these days but sure enjoy reading posts by Mark and Keith and the rest of the crowd - keeps me up to date on all that is happening in Halifax - need to get to visit someday to see the changes in the city

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 7:01 PM
Closed account

[QUOTE=ILoveHalifax;10223355]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Axed View Post
I was simply supporting others in saying why several former regulars don’t like to participate here anymore (and those who took that so very, very, very personally might want to ask themselves why.)

I participate LESS because I don't live in Canada these days but sure enjoy reading posts by Mark and Keith and the rest of the crowd - keeps me up to date on all that is happening in Halifax - need to get to visit someday to see the changes in the city
That’s great if the negativity doesn’t bother you. Clearly it does bother some people - several of them expressed their annoyance the other day and I made a comment that supported their comments (and I caught hell because apparently I haven’t paid my dues.)

Anyway, I just wanted to respond because I’m being characterized as bizarrely coming out of nowhere for no reason with wildly inappropriate behaviour, and there is a LOT more context than that. I will comment no further. In fact I think I’ll just delete my account.

Last edited by Half-Axed; Jun 11, 2024 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Axed View Post
ODM - I have certainly never felt personally attacked or offended by you, and I never said that I did. You seem like a decent fellow (except with your sort of churlish and melodramatic mischaracterizations of the complaint I made here and here after wading through several pages of the usual off-topic squabbling and name-calling.)

I was simply supporting others in saying why several former regulars don’t like to participate here anymore, and I did not name names. Those who took that so very, very, very personally might want to ask themselves why.)

The only thing I had to say to you after you responded was that you have a tendency to go on and on and on debating a topic for several pages, writing lengthy essays in each comment…and then complaining that you don’t like debates that go on and on forever, seemingly with no self-awareness that you are the common denominator in pretty much every one of them in this forum. You just don’t let things go and anyone who wants to catch up with the actual topic at hand, here has the weed through pages of pages of that stuff.

This very thread is a case in point. You two are STILL writing at length about a dustup that happened FIVE DAYS AGO - I guess the truth really does hurt - again with seemingly no awareness that here you are yet again, dragging something out forever.

You gotta let people have their opinions sometimes. You can’t always beat them out of it by wearing them down with more and more explanation and repetition. As you keep saying yourself, not everything has to be a long drawn out debate. Take your own advice.

Or as they say, “be the change you want to see in the world.”
Thanks for the critique and the explanation. There are others, including one of the posters you follow, who draw things out as well, but that’s fine - it keeps things interesting. I’m glad at least that you were paying attention.

You have convinced me, a little to my surprise, that Keith was completely right in this case, and I have decided to ‘not worry about it’. No changes required. Don’t read my comments if you don’t like them.

I hope you don’t delete your account, as I’m sure you have much to contribute (sorry, I can’t recall any of your posts without doing a search). However just like the others, it’s your decision.

Thanks again for helping me out. I too am done with this.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 12:26 PM

Quote:
It was a little bizarre and unexpected for me.

To be clear, I don’t feel I’ve done anything wrong, just reconsidering how I read the room (I think if I had broken SSP rules, the mods would have stepped in). It seems like there’s an underlying anger towards anybody over 50-ish who doesn’t completely buy into today’s flavour of urbanism (or urban planning ideals), and perhaps just being older is enough. I say today’s flavour because most of us over 50 have seen urban planning ideals change many times over the years, and have no reason to believe that today’s ideals are the be all and end all - they too will eventually evolve into something else.
I think this sums things up quite well. I have seen the ageism rear its ugly head not just here but also elsewhere and it is quite puzzling. There seems to be a great deal of resentment among some that society has unfortunately changed in recent times. The only thing that had to do with the older generation is that some, not all, of the oldsters made the same mistake as the rest of society by voting in certain political leaders who are responsible for a lot of what happened after that. Having never supported such leaders I feel no personal responsibility for it but can appreciate the frustration they now feel that they have been rooked. I do not like using the terms "snowflakes" or "hypersensitive" but those seem to describe the reactions.

Then you have the ever-changing flavors of planning theory. As I have said many times, previous generations of planners gave us the theories and rules that led us to the built form we now have which the current gen tries to discredit and criticize. I have little doubt that future gens will do the same with the built form we are now seeing emerge and will say "what were they thinking?" when that in turn gets discredited and ripped out. This last point really seems to get the young planners worked up, since they seldom make the connection that none of these theories are absolutes.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:44 PM

Well stated, Keith.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 6:57 PM

Quote:
I think this sums things up quite well. I have seen the ageism rear its ugly head not just here but also elsewhere and it is quite puzzling. There seems to be a great deal of resentment among some that society has unfortunately changed in recent times. The only thing that had to do with the older generation is that some, not all, of the oldsters made the same mistake as the rest of society by voting in certain political leaders who are responsible for a lot of what happened after that. Having never supported such leaders I feel no personal responsibility for it but can appreciate the frustration they now feel that they have been rooked. I do not like using the terms "snowflakes" or "hypersensitive" but those seem to describe the reactions.

Then you have the ever-changing flavors of planning theory. As I have said many times, previous generations of planners gave us the theories and rules that led us to the built form we now have which the current gen tries to discredit and criticize. I have little doubt that future gens will do the same with the built form we are now seeing emerge and will say "what were they thinking?" when that in turn gets discredited and ripped out. This last point really seems to get the young planners worked up, since they seldom make the connection that none of these theories are absolutes.
In your first paragraph you complain about ageism against older people and then in your second one complain about "young planners". This kind of double standard is what bugs a lot of people - you're allowed to complain about the discourse on here and get annoyed at people who disagree with you but when someone else says the same thing they're just "snowflakes" or "hypersensitive".

Either way, how many days have you been talking about this? Let's move on guys...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 11:10 PM
Salty Town

Was there this much carnage before the bumpout was insatlled?
https://www.saltwire.com/nova-scotia...alifax-262913/

Saltwire
Safety of curb ‘bump-outs’ a contentious issue in Halifax
An SUV flipped onto its roof when it collided with a van last week at the intersection of Ochterloney and Wentworth streets in Dartmouth. The incident occurred two days after barriers were put in place at the intersection for the curb bump-out pilot.
has been blamed by some for a dangerous two-vehicle crash last week.
“Correlation is not causation,” said Coun. Sam Austin, who represents the Dartmouth area that encompasses the intersection of Ochterloney and Wentworth streets where the collision took place.

“The bump-out we’re doing there is not unsual. They’ve been used all over the world. I talked to the police and I’ve talked to our traffic engineers after that happened because you want to make sure that it is not something that we have caused here. There is no conclusion from either the police nor our traffic engineers that these (cement barriers) have to be taken out. They have one vehicle pulling out when it shouldn’t have.”
A van and a sport utility vehicle collided in the intersection and the SUV ended up on its roof in front of the Two If By Sea cafe on Ochterloney. A few metres northwest along Ochterloney, the van came to rest with its front bumper ripped off. The van was not far from the four cement Jersey barriers that extended onto the streets at the corner of Ochterloney and Wentworth.
“It’s very much the same accident that has occurred several times at King and Ochterloney, just a block down,” Austin said. “Sightlines can be challengiing on that street, very much the sort of things we are looking to address with our projects.”
A Dartmouth woman said the temporary barrier projects are unsafe.
“It’s because it makes it a shorter walk for pedestrians to walk across the street,” she said of a stated objectives for the barriers. “If it is a pedestrian issue, why don’t they put up a (warning) light. All our streets are too narrow to have curb bumps. ... There is so much traffic here. We all think down there that curb bumps are not the answer. We’d like those things removed.”
The woman said she had been walking in the area shortly before Thursday’s collision.
“I don’t know if that caused the accident but they (barriers) are a danger,” she said. “There is no warning sign that those barriers are there. There are no signs. When it gets slippery, and somebody is coming up there, they are going to be hit. I walked on that sidewalk 25 minutes before that accident on that street. Anyone walking on that street, that sidewalk, could have been killed with that car flipping.”
The resident said the municipality seems pretty set on doing things like extending sidewalks at street corners.
“The end goal is to have people slow down but they are going to cause more disaster than not because cars will rush around them anyway.”
Austin, the regional councillor for Dartmouth Centre, said the curb bump-outs serve a couple of purposes.
“The idea of the sidewalk extension is that if the street is narrow, then traffic tends to go slower,” Austin said.
He said the main objective realized by curb bump-outs is to make pedestrians safer.
“It makes them more visible because the place they have to wait (to cross the street) is further out and it shortens the distance that they have to cross. It reduces the time they have to spend exposed to traffic in the streets.”
Austin said the municipality is calling it a pilot but the concept is anything but unusual.
“This isn’t a revolutionary idea. It’s new to us in dowtown Dartmouth on Ochterloney. But it’s a kind of a basic tool of traffic engineers. We are using Jersey barriers. You can test out how a different configuration of the street really works before you actually commit to anything in concrete.”
Austin pointed to similar configurations on Argyle Street where it intersects Sackville and Prince streets, and on Portland Street in Dartmouth, where bricked curb extensions are sporadically adorned with flower boxes. He said there have been no issues on those streets.
Austin said the barriers block off approximately the space of a car on both the Ochterloney and Wentworth sides of the corner.
“It’s an improvement if you consider usually what was sitting in that spot was an illegally parked car,” he said. “Instead of a vehicle sitting there that you can’t see around, you’ve got a shorter Jersey barrier that you can see over top of.”
Austin said the Ochterloney-Wenworth barriers are merely a test. They will probably be extended into the spring because they do not seem to pose much of a snow-removal problem. Similar bump-outs could be added at other Ochterloney intersections, he said.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 11:38 PM

Sam in full deny and deflect mode despite the evidence being right in front of his nose. He deserves to lose the election based upon his incessant use of Dartmouth streets as his personal road engineer sandbox.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:35 PM
Salty Town

Austin said"

“It’s an improvement if you consider usually what was sitting in that spot was an illegally parked car,” he said. “Instead of a vehicle sitting there that you can’t see around, you’ve got a shorter Jersey barrier that you can see over top of.”

I have heard this a number of times and I don't agree with the premise. If a car is parked illegally “too close to the corner” you will see it (5ft. high). The car doesn’t block visibility completely and this would only apply when looking left at an intersection. If there is no parked car there and a bumpout is present (6” high) you may not see it under ideal conditions and the chances of seeing it if visibility is reduced by night, rain, fog or bumper to bumper traffic are greatly diminished. If there is snow cover the chance of seeing a bumpout is zero.

Here is a typical intersection in Copenhagen. Clearly marked crosswalks and bike lanes. Notice how the right turn painted line arcs with the turn of a vehicle and the vehicle is not forced into the oncoming lane. The painted line leads into a curb for the bike lane when it is safe to do so. This design makes a lot of sense to me especially with very narrow streets as we have in HRM.
Copenhagen: Google
https://www.google.ca/maps/@55.67044...5409&entry=ttu

Last edited by Empire; Jun 14, 2024 at 1:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Austin said"

I have heard this a number of times and I don't agree with the premise. If a car is parked illegally “too close to the corner” you will see it (5ft. high). The car doesn’t block visibility completely and this would only apply when looking left at an intersection. If there is no parked car there and a bumpout is present (6” high) you may not see it under ideal conditions and the chances of seeing it if visibility is reduced by night, rain, fog or bumper to bumper traffic are greatly diminished. If there is snow cover the chance of seeing a bumpout is zero.

Here is a typical intersection in Copenhagen. Clearly marked crosswalks and bike lanes. Notice how the right turn painted line arcs with the turn of a vehicle and the vehicle is not forced into the oncoming lane. The painted line leads into a curb for the bike lane when it is safe to do so. This design makes a lot of sense to me especially with very narrow streets as we have in HRM.
Copenhagen: Google
https://www.google.ca/maps/@55.67044...5409&entry=ttu
I think the bump outs are safer. It is where I cross the street.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I think the bump outs are safer. It is where I cross the street.
I've crossed the street there for more than five decades, including about 25 years commuting to work in Halifax by foot and by ferry. The greatest threat to my safety on that walk downtown was the risk I'd be distracted by the smell of fresh-baked croissants at TIBS and walk into another pedestrian.

I find the notion that that intersection is somehow "safer" now to be simply untenable, if not downright amusing.

Different strokes, I guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth