HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:37 PM

Atlanta BeltLine’s Southside Trail To Break Ground Jan. 22

https://whatnowatlanta.com/atlanta-b...ground-jan-22/
Quote:
Southside Trail-West is a 0.75-mile portion of the overall four-mile southside corridor, stretching from the southern end of the existing Westside Trail, near University and Metropolitan avenues in Adair Park, toward the downtown connector.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:11 PM

Atlanta Business Chronicle’s 2020 Project of the Decade: Atlanta Beltline

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...opularity.html

Quote:
It is one of the largest urban redevelopment projects in the country, and certainly is the most ambitious public works project ever undertaken in the city’s history.

It’s playing a major role in powering the growth of multi-use trails and open space across metro Atlanta. It’s a catalyst for revitalization, new development, and both a connector and a creator of neighborhoods.

Maybe most of all, It has changed the way we think about land use, about connecting people, about alternatives to the car, and about creating places.

For all these and other reasons perhaps not yet evident, the Atlanta Beltline is the Project of the Decade in Atlanta Business Chronicle’s 2020 Best in Atlanta Real Estate Awards.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 2:46 PM

Your Lights Are On

They've been working on it for over a month, but the first stretch of new Beltline lamps are installed from North Ave down. Doesn't look like they had to do serious harm to any of the natives that Trees Atlanta planted along the way.

Looking forward to having these all the way up to Monroe

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:32 PM

Beltline Typologies
Dated I know, but hopefully still relevant.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 9:07 PM

Wow yeah even from 2013, that’s a lovely document.

I’m excited to see how the lights function on the EST. Also it is crazy despite all its use, how much more density is likely to occur to even the hot areas around PCM and Inman Park. Speaking of, they began to set up fencing at GA Power in O4W. Here’s hoping we see some projects break ground soon closer to Irwin St, too.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 12:32 AM

https://beltlineorg-wpengine.netdna-...ion-Update.pdf

Northeast Trail construction update

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 12:39 AM

Switchback by historic fourth ward park and new realm I believe is to begin demo this month. Forget if it said this month or summer for the new city GA Power development, which is progressing.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Switchback by historic fourth ward park and new realm I believe is to begin demo this month. Forget if it said this month or summer for the new city GA Power development, which is progressing.
Does that mean they're gonna build the stairs first? How will people get down to the park from the Beltline? I remember how annoying it was before they finished the switchback.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Does that mean they're gonna build the stairs first? How will people get down to the park from the Beltline? I remember how annoying it was before they finished the switchback.
I’m not expecting the new staircase to be open until the project is complete. I anticipate a year or two of using the stairs on either side of north ave or ralph mcgill. Wish we’d get clarification on whether a trail will exist back to the BeltLine or if we are expected to dismount to get between the two areas.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 8:12 PM

Quote:
I’m not expecting the new staircase to be open until the project is complete. I anticipate a year or two of using the stairs on either side of north ave or ralph mcgill. Wish we’d get clarification on whether a trail will exist back to the BeltLine or if we are expected to dismount to get between the two areas.
I can't find it now, but I saw a rendering of the staircase next to a free-standing bicycle elevator on that site. Can't believe they couldn't figure out a way to do it similar to the existing switch-back path.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
I can't find it now, but I saw a rendering of the staircase next to a free-standing bicycle elevator on that site. Can't believe they couldn't figure out a way to do it similar to the existing switch-back path.
They've been installing pretty substantial construction fencing all along this stretch of the Beltline for the last two days, but there's a gap for the Eastside Trail Gateway. The workers said it would be open for the next few weeks. After that, the best way I know of to get to the park by bike is cut down Willoughby to Ashley Ave from the skate park.

It's been open for almost 6 years! I went to the ground-breaking in Jan. 2014 and it was open by August. I remember it seemed to take forever to open but glad we had it for that long. Hopefully the new connection to the park will turn out good.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
They've been installing pretty substantial construction fencing all along this stretch of the Beltline for the last two days, but there's a gap for the Eastside Trail Gateway. The workers said it would be open for the next few weeks. After that, the best way I know of to get to the park by bike is cut down Willoughby to Ashley Ave from the skate park.

It's been open for almost 6 years! I went to the ground-breaking in Jan. 2014 and it was open by August. I remember it seemed to take forever to open but glad we had it for that long. Hopefully the new connection to the park will turn out good.
It will be a staircase and elevator. Numerous staircases and elevators for the area and -1 ramp for those to the west of the trail.

https://cityofatlantanpu-w.org/2020/...trail-updates/

Potentially even larger news. Murphy’s crossing is rumored by Adair Park of being sold to WRS, the Underground Developer that’s some nothing for years.

Neighbors are upset regarding both.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 1:33 AM

Don’t ask me how the BeltLine is not including these updates during presentations with neighborhoods or quarterly updates.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
It will be a staircase and elevator. Numerous staircases and elevators for the area and -1 ramp for those to the west of the trail.

https://cityofatlantanpu-w.org/2020/...trail-updates/
The lack of a ramp is problematic. So anyone with a stroller/bike/other wheeled device needs to use the elevator or go really far out of their way? Irwin needs to be held to account on this. You cannot leave us with an option worse off than the current available. The elevator is helpful, but access to the largest and most popular park in the neighborhood from the most popular segment of the BL necessitates a ramp of some kind. Irwin can and must do better here.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 6:01 PM

Southwest trail construction update from 05/19
https://beltlineorg-wpengine.netdna-...05.19.20-1.pdf

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
The lack of a ramp is problematic. So anyone with a stroller/bike/other wheeled device needs to use the elevator or go really far out of their way? Irwin needs to be held to account on this. You cannot leave us with an option worse off than the current available. The elevator is helpful, but access to the largest and most popular park in the neighborhood from the most popular segment of the BL necessitates a ramp of some kind. Irwin can and must do better here.
Appears as if he proposed a ramp or two, but for whatever reason it was removed from the proposal. Rumors are about height clearance for trucks or the city pushing back that the base took up too much space from H4WP. Personally I have not seen an official response from the city or BeltLine.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 12:11 AM

^They did say the stairs will have a bike ramp. Will still have to dismount, but better than nothing. And the elevator is better for wheelchairs and mobility scooters than a ramp.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 11:25 PM

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 8:58 PM

Construction is ramping up on the Southside Trail-West near the rail bridge over Metropolitan Pkwy SW.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCB-V-mA7J_/

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jun 29, 2020 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 4:11 PM

Bill Kennedy Way Interim bridge project has started!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta