HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 5:25 PM

For people who post a video, please give us a summary. The screenshot of that video looks like nothing I'm interested in wasting time on.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
... Top speed 420KM/H. Will pass motorbikes.
Why?

Tesla has been blasted about the Model S Plaid in terms of controllability. That kind of power is completely unnecessary, dangerous and a misallocation of resources. How many "normal" EVs could be built with the battery power that goes into those?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Why?

Tesla has been blasted about the Model S Plaid in terms of controllability. That kind of power is completely unnecessary, dangerous and a misallocation of resources. How many "normal" EVs could be built with the battery power that goes into those?
I honestly can't believe there isn't a law that limits maximum vehicles speeds. Should cars be able to go faster than speed limits for purposes of passing and pvertaking? Sure. But I have a hard time understanding why there shouldn't be a hard cap on vehicle speeds at say, 130 km/hr.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I honestly can't believe there isn't a law that limits maximum vehicles speeds. Should cars be able to go faster than speed limits for purposes of passing and pvertaking? Sure. But I have a hard time understanding why there shouldn't be a hard cap on vehicle speeds at say, 130 km/hr.
Yes, I know on the German autobahn some cars can get up to 220km/h + but nobody gets up to 420 km/h, thank God!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:08 PM

Quote:
I purchased the $2700 acceleration boost which is available to all Model 3 LRs. Takes the 0-60mph from 4.2 seconds to 3.7.

The difference is... I can now make my tires squeal every single time If I so choose haha. The speed is certainly addicting. I could never go back to gasoline cars now. That instant rush makes me feel like Im on am airplane ready to take off.
The Model 3 LR is approaching 80k with the "acceleration boost". Thats BMW M3 money - a lot of cars in that price range will accelerate as fast.

As far as the Tesla Roadster - wasn't that supposed to have been released 2 years ago?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
The Model 3 LR is approaching 80k with the "acceleration boost". Thats BMW M3 money - a lot of cars in that price range will accelerate as fast.

As far as the Tesla Roadster - wasn't that supposed to have been released 2 years ago?
I don't think that config really exists anymore but the 3 starts at $59.9k and the M3 starts at $89.5k.

Performance Tesla 3 (as loaded up as you can get) is $82k.

BMW M3 goes well into 6 figures with upgrades. Then everything else that comes with operating a BMW.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 8:38 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I don't think that config really exists anymore but the 3 starts at $59.9k and the M3 starts at $89.5k.

Performance Tesla 3 (as loaded up as you can get) is $82k.

BMW M3 goes well into 6 figures with upgrades. Then everything else that comes with operating a BMW.
Interesting. It looks like the M3LR is no longer available, at least for this year. The M3P starts at $62,990 here, which is a very good deal for the performance.

For M3P type performance, you'd have to step up to the M3 Competition xDrive, which starts at $80,800. The other thing you have to keep in mind is dealer markup. With the M3 Comp there will most certainly be one. With the M3P, the listed price is what you pay.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 8:42 PM
你的媽媽

Teslas, and EVs in general, also get a lot of flak for being heavy pigs, which while true, actually aren't that much heavier than some ICE cars. For example, the M3P weighs in at 4065 lbs, but the M3 Comp xDrive weighs in a 3890.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Teslas, and EVs in general, also get a lot of flak for being heavy pigs, which while true, actually aren't that much heavier than some ICE cars. For example, the M3P weighs in at 4065 lbs, but the M3 Comp xDrive weighs in a 3890.
Vehicle type (sedan vs SUV) is a much bigger deal in terms of weight than what the drivetrain is.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 12:18 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Are you kidding? That's only 80 mph, old granny sedan speeds.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 12:38 AM

Better idea, geolock speeds. If you go visit a track, full capabilities unlocked automatically.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post

I paid 75K all in for the car and boost. Thats including taxes. Prices have went up yes. It's now 89K for the same thing.

The automatic BMW M3 is the same speed yes however the price including tax is $111,700. So to get the same speed one would have to spend an additional 22K. Trust me...I did my research. To get this speed in any car you are spending at least 15-20K more. Then there's the premium gas/oil changes on top of it. So not only does the car cost more, you're stuck with an extra $400 per month filling the damn thing. And insurance is more as well. Im paying the same for my Tesla in insurance as I did with my Honda Civic.

Plus I raced the M3 literally this past summer and I won everytime. Gasoline can't compete with electric under 120KM/H , by the time the gas hits the lines Im already 50m ahead.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:17 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Are you kidding? That's only 80 mph, old granny sedan speeds.
Are there any roads in Canada that have a speed limit higher than that? I get the need to briefly exceed the speed limit when passing, but that's mainly an issue on two lane roads which tend to have lower speed limits than multi-lane highways anyway.

I always thought it was weird how they speed govern things like ebikes and escooters as a criteria for them being legal yet cars which have a far greater potential for danger often have no restrictions at all.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:31 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I saw a FB post a few weeks ago from Village Ford in Dorchester Ontario just outside London, congratulating their customer on being the dealership's first Lightning purchase. As an aside, I love this dealership. A throwback to a small town car lot of decades ago. It's literally one of those old full serve Esso gas stations with attached 2 bay garages, with the dealership in the little office part of the gas station. Look at their staff online and there is the owner (who is the only sales rep), an accountant, 2 mechanics and fuel guy. They have a MACH E on the lot for $92,000 lol
I checked it out. That's one expensive electric Mustang!
Yeah, I can't think of any new car dealer with that setup, it's from another era

per Car & Driver:
Quote:
The 2023 Mustang Mach-E is available with either a standard-range 70.0-kWh battery or an extended-range 91.0-kWh pack. These feed an electric motor mounted on the rear or both axles. That latter combination creates all-wheel drive, and on the sporty GT and GT Performance models, the motors combine to make 480 horsepower and up to 634 pound-feet of torque. Ford claims this will send the Mach-E GT Performance from zero to 60 mph in just 3.5 seconds.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:33 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
I paid 75K all in for the car and boost. Thats including taxes. Prices have went up yes. It's now 89K for the same thing.

The automatic BMW M3 is the same speed yes however the price including tax is $111,700. So to get the same speed one would have to spend an additional 22K. Trust me...I did my research. To get this speed in any car you are spending at least 15-20K more. Then there's the premium gas/oil changes on top of it. So not only does the car cost more, you're stuck with an extra $400 per month filling the damn thing. And insurance is more as well. Im paying the same for my Tesla in insurance as I did with my Honda Civic.

Plus I raced the M3 literally this past summer and I won everytime. Gasoline can't compete with electric under 120KM/H , by the time the gas hits the lines Im already 50m ahead.
nice!
If you're really happy with it, that's what counts. It's funny many guys don't want to lose Internal combustion engines.

In 10 years that will seem very foolish

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:49 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Are there any roads in Canada that have a speed limit higher than that? I get the need to briefly exceed the speed limit when passing, but that's mainly an issue on two lane roads which tend to have lower speed limits than multi-lane highways anyway.

I always thought it was weird how they speed govern things like ebikes and escooters as a criteria for them being legal yet cars which have a far greater potential for danger often have no restrictions at all.
You are in favour of more of a nanny state than we already have? Do we need more restrictive laws? Oh we're Canadians, dull & boring; let's make it even worse. Let's be good little boys, girls, & thems. Many cars do have limiters, but even a Honda Civic (Type R) has a top speed of 169mph (abt. 272 km/hr.) It's just a part of the car's overall performance. No one in this city obeys the speed limit as far as I can see.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:12 AM

Quote:
You are in favour of more of a nanny state than we already have? Do we need more restrictive laws? Oh we're Canadians, dull & boring; let's make it even worse. Let's be good little boys, girls, & thems. Many cars do have limiters, but even a Honda Civic (Type R) has a top speed of 169mph (abt. 272 km/hr.) It's just a part of the car's overall performance. No one in this city obeys the speed limit as far as I can see.
Yes, there are a lot of drivers who regularly exceed the speed limit by 5, 10, 20 km/h or more. However, that's not what the aforementioned top-speed limiter would address. If cars were limited to a maximum speed of 150 km/h on public roads - with no restrictions on other performance factors such as acceleration - how exactly would that limit our "freedom"? There's nowhere in Canada (as best I can tell) where you can legally drive more than 120 km/h so a 150 km/h restriction would still give you 25% room above that limit.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
Yes, there are a lot of drivers who regularly exceed the speed limit by 5, 10, 20 km/h or more. However, that's not what the aforementioned top-speed limiter would address. If cars were limited to a maximum speed of 150 km/h on public roads - with no restrictions on other performance factors such as acceleration - how exactly would that limit our "freedom"? There's nowhere in Canada (as best I can tell) where you can legally drive more than 120 km/h so a 150 km/h restriction would still give you 25% room above that limit.
No restrictions on speed. That's ridiculous. Don't be so boring.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
For people who post a video, please give us a summary. The screenshot of that video looks like nothing I'm interested in wasting time on.
Video is from a guy who made an overly dramatic towing experience video with his Ford Lightning and then made a follow up video about the fallout and how he’s unfortunately featured on infowars lol. Alex Jones has some batshit stupid commentary showing how absolute fuckall the guy knows.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:53 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "more restrictive laws". We already have speed limits on virtually every road in the entire country and it's already illegal to exceed them. Limiting the top speed of vehicles would just be an enforcement mechanism for existing laws. Unless you're arguing that we should eliminate speed limit laws altogether? I fail to see the point of having the freedom to do something that you never have the freedom to do because it's always illegal unless you're blatantly advocating for criminal behaviour. Maybe by "dull & boring" you just mean "not criminals".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada