HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 6:43 PM

That would be disappointing, if they put parking on the ground floor. That block has great potential to connect Forest Park and Highland Park, if the developers are sensitive to the area. The block needs to have structures at street level that encourage pedeistrian flow along Clairmont. Either the residenes should open directly out on to the street or they should have retail at street level ... restaurants with sidewalk tables or shops with an engage the street. I'd hate to see condos blocked from the street by a parking lot or raised one level above the street, robbing the development of any potential to add vibrancy to the street.

I'd love to see Clairmont, from Lakeview to Forest Park, evolve into a strand of restaurants, shops, etc., that open onto the street. I'd love to see it evolve into something like Newberry Street in Boston. Or, if that isn't feasible here, then at least something like Atlanta's Highland Avenue.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 1:56 PM

Here's an update on the Melaver development downtown. The name of the the development is apparently going to be The Federal Reseve Building & Tower. The first phase will be a complete restoration of the 1926 Federal Reserve building by the end of 2007, which will house a restaurant and bar. The existing Federal Reserve Annex building on 5th Avenue North will be renovated for office and retail space. They have already started demolition of the interior. The roof of the building is slated to become a "green roof" with low growing foliage. The final stage will be the construction of a 17-story building on the surface parking lot at the corner of 18th Street and 4th Avenue North which will not start for a couple of years. The first floor will be for retail space and a hotel lobby. Eight floors will be office space and the remaining eight floors will be for a 4-star hotel with approximately 200 rooms. Other amenities will include high-tech conference facilities, fitness center and long term apartments for business travelers.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmixon001
Here's an update on the Melaver development downtown. The name of the the development is apparently going to be The Federal Reseve Building & Tower. The first phase will be a complete restoration of the 1926 Federal Reserve building by the end of 2007, which will house a restaurant and bar. The existing Federal Reserve Annex building on 5th Avenue North will be renovated for office and retail space. They have already started demolition of the interior. The roof of the building is slated to become a "green roof" with low growing foliage. The final stage will be the construction of a 17-story building on the surface parking lot at the corner of 18th Street and 4th Avenue North which will not start for a couple of years. The first floor will be for retail space and a hotel lobby. Eight floors will be office space and the remaining eight floors will be for a 4-star hotel with approximately 200 rooms. Other amenities will include high-tech conference facilities, fitness center and long term apartments for business travelers.
Wow... that's actually quite an upgrade. Originally the new Melaver building was slated to be just 14 stories and now apparently 17 stories. That will definitely be the tallest new addition to the city in quite some time. Of course it does say that's a few years off, so the proposal could change significantly in that time, but let's hope they don't scale it back.

BTW, also read in the Bham News today that deep in Metro Bham (out around Jasper near Smith Lake), there are going to be several midrise/highrise buildings constructed. One is planned to be 10-stories... another to be 14-stories.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 5:18 PM
I concede

Great news on the Melaver project. Link by any chance?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 6:12 PM

No link that I know of. The company's website has a very general blurb without any specifics. As for the timetable of the tower -- my guess is that the delay in construction is so that they can line up tenants. There haven't been any announcements about anyone signing on to be a lead tenant -- and I'm guessing that will be a precondition to the commencement of any construction.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 3:47 PM

The sign atop the Amsouth Center has supposedly been changed to a Regions sign. Anyone have a picture of this? I heard about it on the news the other day.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 9:32 PM

I don't have a picture, but they have put the new sign up --- and then covered it up with black plastic sheeting. Presumably they are going to unveil it at some point.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2006, 5:47 AM

Wow

Quote:
$35 million resort planned for lake

ED HOWELL
The Daily Mountain Eagle
Published October 22, 2006 12:53 AM CDT

CURRY — Developers will turn the old Camp Jimmy Goodwin near at Smith Lake into a 14-story, 100-unit condominium resort that should be open by early 2009 at a projected cost of at least $35 million. “This will be the tallest high-rise on a lake in the state of Alabama,” said broker Charlotte Pugh of White Pepper Real Estate on Friday, adding that B. L. Harbert International of Birmingham will construct the facility and Goodwin, Mills and Claywood of Montgomery will design it. “This is designated to be a resort destination.”
The link for more..

I just thought that this was sort of interesting.. Not exactly in Birmingham, but in the metro atleast.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2006, 10:46 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmixon001
I don't have a picture, but they have put the new sign up --- and then covered it up with black plastic sheeting. Presumably they are going to unveil it at some point.
I saw the unveiled sign for the first time this morning.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 1:36 AM
Trendy.

pics!!!

Or do I have to come down to Birmingham?

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 3:03 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley
pics!!!

Or do I have to come down to Birmingham?
I found this pic at flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...1380469&size=l

In that same album, I found these pics of a hybrid articulated bus that was demonstrated in Birmingham this past Friday as well as a link to a blog article about the demonstration:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acnatta/tags/bus/

http://dresramblings.wordpress.com/2...ion-yesterday/

Also found these interior shots of the Lyric Theatre. I've never seen the interior before and didn't realize it was so grand. I hope it undergoes restoration soon!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acnatta/tags/lyric/

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 3:48 PM
Trendy.

YAY! Remember when I talked about this almost TWO years ago? Well, they're finally doing it!

No more green carpet, purple drapes, and blue chairs in the rooms

Renovation slated to last 18 months
Saturday, November 11, 2006
ROY L. WILLIAMS
News staff writer
The Sheraton Birmingham Hotel recently launched a $16 million renovation project that is its largest since the hotel completed a major expansion in 1991.

The project, slated for completion in 18 months, includes the complete makeover of the lobby and atrium areas and all 757 guest rooms. Additions officials say can't be found at any other Alabama Sheraton are planned.

Sheraton Birmingham General Manager Mark Noyes said the project is not simply about updating the look of the hotel. "We want guests to feel connected with us and to be as comfortable here as they would be at home," Noyes said. "Our renovations are focused on creating a sense of warmth and connection with our guests."

In the lobby, personal check-in stations will replace the traditional long front desk. Two automated check-in kiosks will allow guests the option of self-service processing. New marble columns, granite floors, carpeting and seating areas also are being added in the lobby and the atrium.

The lobby will also feature a "Sheraton Link" Yahoo media center, where guests will be able to use computers to connect with colleagues and family during their stay. There also will be 42-inch plasma screens for viewing, and snack and beverage service areas.

Each of the 757 guest rooms is getting new furniture, drapes and bathroom fixtures featuring the newest designs available at Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, said Harry Traylor, the hotel's director of sales and marketing.

Noyes said the renovations will help Sheraton Birmingham better serve the adjacent Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex.

"Hundreds of thousands of Birmingham visitors stay at our hotel every year," Noyes said. "Our renovations will position Sheraton Birmingham as one of the best convention hotels in the Southeast."

BJCC Board Chairman Clyde Echols said the Sheraton upgrade is critical as the complex seeks to attract more conventions to Birmingham. The hotel was originally built as a Hyatt in 1968.

"Having the hotel is a great selling tool for the BJCC since many meeting planners consider a good hotel stay an important part of their decision," he said. "By stepping up accommodations and upgrading the Sheraton brand, we remain competitive."

In addition to the physical renovations, Noyes said hotel employees are in the midst of Sheraton training as part of the brand's efforts to better serve customers. Over the past year, the hotel has renovated 13 meeting suites and two formal board rooms. By Dec. 6 it will have completely upgraded its four large presidential suites.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 12:47 AM

When I drove through DT a week or two ago I saw the covered up AmSouth sign, and squeeled with glee... lol.

Also, recently on the radio, I heard that the JeffCo Commission is changing... hopefully a good thing for progress!

I haven't been around here lately, but I see hardly anything's changed and/or new...

Hmmm... just had an idea... I'll be back to show fruits of that idea...

Whee!

"All these other cities are getting buildings taller than 15 stories, and all I'm getting is a spiral beltway!" - Birmingham

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 1:48 AM

Neither the merger of AmSouth and Regions, nor the change in the Commission, is particularly hopeful in terms of progress... At least in the next 10 years or so.

The new commission, specifically, has already started pulling out of commitments made to developers and to the Freshwater Land Trust and promises to review commitments made to the RR Park, Red Mtn Park, BJCC and other projects. The priority of the new president will be reducing the county's ridiculous debts and using funds only for those projects which can show a short-term return.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopos
Neither the merger of AmSouth and Regions, nor the change in the Commission, is particularly hopeful in terms of progress... At least in the next 10 years or so.

The new commission, specifically, has already started pulling out of commitments made to developers and to the Freshwater Land Trust and promises to review commitments made to the RR Park, Red Mtn Park, BJCC and other projects. The priority of the new president will be reducing the county's ridiculous debts and using funds only for those projects which can show a short-term return.
It's tough to do, but I give credit for Collins to do so.

This whole mess started with previous commissioners like McNair, Germany, and so on. I hope they all rot in hell for the untold damage they've caused to the Jefferson County Gov't, SuperSewer and all.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopos

Well... progress will be made on reducing the debts, then...

I guess I won't really question the short-term goals... but I'm just sitting here wondering why not use the fuel from short-terms to fuel the long-terms, adding more short-term goals with returns... and/or breaking up long-term plans into shorter reachable goals? Yes, overall goals are good... break them into smaller goals makes it seemingly easier to reach...

Or would they have to hire someone to come up with the goals, and then someone else to check when those goals are reached that they are where they need to be? Oh man.. ugh.

"All these other cities are getting buildings taller than 15 stories, and all I'm getting is a spiral beltway!" - Birmingham

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 8:42 PM
Red October standing by

Pittsburgh developer considers Trinity Steel site for mixed-use project
Birmingham Business Journal - 12:42 PM CST Tuesday
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
Representatives of the Soffer Organization will make a second trip to Birmingham today to assess the former site of Trinity Steel near downtown Birmingham, Jefferson County officials said. The Pittsburgh development firm is considering the site for a possible mixed-use project.

According to a county news release, Soffer is considering the 27-acre site for a project similar to one it is currently developing in Pittsburgh called SouthSide Works.

The Trinity Steel site is located in the Titusville community and was purchased last year by Jefferson County and the city of Birmingham, which demolished the old plant.

R. Damian Soffer, owner and chairman of the development firm, is scheduled to look over the property Tuesday afternoon before meeting with representatives of Operation New Birmingham.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

-

-fflint

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 8:43 PM
Red October standing by

an older article on the site...

Cleaning up after businesses
Trinity site is a 'jewel,' deserves better future
Birmingham Business Journal - February 17, 2006by Kaija WilkinsonStaff
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
A prominent Birmingham brownfield is undergoing a multimillion-dollar cleanup in preparation for a new life.

After Jefferson County and the city of Birmingham chipped in $1.3 million each in spring 2005 to buy and clean up a portion of the former Trinity Industries Inc. steel site on Sixth Avenue South in western Birmingham, the Jefferson County Economic and Industrial Development Authority in the fall appointed an advisory committee to determine the best uses for the site. Their first meeting was in early December.

Consisting of 14 individuals from the architectural, engineering and construction professions, the three teams are scheduled in April 2006 to present their ideas to the city and county in three categories: industrial, mixed-used and "outside the box."

Shelia Smoot, county commissioner of roads, transportation and community development, says she hopes the Trinity site will set an example about the potential of brownfields. And though the original intention was to make way for another industrial user, Smoot says she feels a better use can be determined, perhaps including offices, parks or housing.

"I absolutely do not want another industrial user," says Smoot. "The site is better than that."

Contamination less than feared
Situated along Interstate 65 in the Titusville neighborhood, the site is about a quarter-mile west of the University of Alabama at Birmingham near UAB Medical Center. Plus, notes Smoot, with demolition of most existing structures more than 75 percent complete, the site boasts a stunning view of the Birmingham skyline. "By tearing down the buildings, we were able to see that we had a jewel on our hands," Smoot says. A pair of office buildings built between 1910 and 1920 remain and will be part of the site's new use.

Totaling about 60,000 square feet, the office buildings have an Art Deco look and features like an engraved ship and train to represent a couple of the industries that fueled the steel industry that thrived there for nearly a century. Although the interiors are in poor condition, inlaid wood and marble await refurbishing.

"We ought to be utilizing that site better than the traditional, easy use," Smoot says. "It's easy to run 18-wheelers through that site, but I don't want that. We want something that ties in with the university or the hospitals at UAB or St. Vincent's, which means biomedical, biotech, pharmaceutical -- those kinds of industries and/or recreational."

From shortly after the turn of the century to the early 1980s, Ingram Ironworks operated at the site, manufacturing steel used in railroads, planes, ships and submarines. Ingram sold the site to Trinity in the early 1980s, and Trinity operated there until 2001, when the company pulled out of the Birmingham market.

Doug Bullock, who oversaw the environmental work performed by Gallet & Associates Inc. of Birmingham for the city and county, says the site wasn't as environmentally contaminated as initially feared, so the project came in within budget. Gallet analyzed the area for multiple volatile compounds in the soil, groundwater and adjacent stream on the property.

"What we found is a localized condition that is quite manageable and works in conjunction with the deal," Bullock says. "Our main concern was making the math work."

Bullock says that Gallet is about to present its pre-approved cleanup plan to ADEM (Alabama Department of Environmental Management.)

A wealth of expert advice
Other than somewhat limited access to I-65, the site is a prime redevelopment opportunity. Allen Pate, chairman of the board of the development authority and executive director of the city of Hoover, says those involved will keep an open mind in considering potential buyers.

"We are looking for tenants, and we will be considering whoever comes forward with an offer on the site," Pate says.

Bob Wilkerson, senior planner for the Birmingham Regional Planning Commission and coordinator of the Greater Birmingham Brownfield Redevelopment Task Force, praises the intergovernmental cooperation involved in the Trinity plan. Wilkerson says, although the site has appeal as an industrial site simply because of its history and proximity to other industrial tenants such as Golden Flake Snack Foods Inc., a fresh use would be welcomed.

Says Wilkerson: "I wouldn't say there aren't opinions that disagree, but by and large, it's been a very cooperative group. We've brought to the table not just the public sector people, which you see very often in these types of projects, but individuals from the private sector. We have environmental engineering firms, architectural firms, law firms that have environmental divisions, citizens, property owners and developers. It takes this range of people to do a brownfields project right."

Wilkerson is heading up development of a brownfields database to market sites to potential users. Launched last year using a $60,000 grant from the Environmental Protection Agency, the database is nearing completion. It currently includes properties such as Trinity that have received public funds, but Wilkerson is working on a format that will allow any property owners to add their properties to the database, regardless of whether they have received public funds.

As for the future of Trinity, Smoot says "the sky's the limit." She anticipates a flood of interest from developers and future tenants, especially once the teams present ideas.

kwilkinson@bizjournals.com • (205) 443-5637

-

-fflint

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 8:50 PM
EchoBoomer

So which one of these areas is the actual site:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=16...20084&t=h&om=1

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 1:05 AM
Red October standing by

^ my guess is the area just to the west of I-65...i'm basing that on the article talking about the art deco buildings, which i remember seeing to the west of 65 from 8th Ave.

-

-fflint

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast