HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 4:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I noticed there is some new Saint John Threads. I'm going to make some threads for KV and the West side/Lancaster/Grand Bay?
There already is a "Saint John Suburbs" thread. It may have just fallen off the bottom of the page.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There already is a "Saint John Suburbs" thread. It may have just fallen off the bottom of the page.
My bad, I never relized it was there! A MOD can delete my threads than if that is possible.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 8:06 PM

I'd normally be critical of new threads being created diluting content of existing ones, but this is such a Monty Pythonesque bing that I can only say "hear hear" and hope for more.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:16 PM

I heard Seaspan was looking into the Saint John Drydock.

Im pretty sure part of the agreement when Irving shut it down was that no ships could be built there for 20 years. Almost up.

Anyone know about this?

Last edited by saintjohnirish☘; May 8, 2017 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 10:47 PM

A significant update on "The Crossing", the proposed Northrup development in the section of land between highway 1 and Ashburn Road - access road proposed for this spring.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ring-1.4110630

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 7:25 PM

In other Courtenay Bay related things, Marsh Creek Clean up was another success. I was looking through ACAP's reports on the bay..

Was wondering what the removal of the causeway with a bridge built instead would do to restore the waterway? It must had been considered at one point in time, no?

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 9:33 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The Central Peninsula Neighbourhood Plan has launched an online map-based tool where you can share your thoughts about the future of the area.

https://courbanize.com/projects/cent...plan/comaps/41

Additionally, there's a public launch event for the project on May 24th at 4:30 at the Interaction Performing Arts School.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjohnirish☘ View Post
In other Courtenay Bay related things, Marsh Creek Clean up was another success. I was looking through ACAP's reports on the bay..
Yes.. hats off to kwajo

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...anup-1.4110072

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 10:25 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The City has released an RFP for the redevelopment of the parking garage at Canterbury and Grannan Streets. Below is a conceptual massing model from the proposal call based on the constraints of the Zoning/Heritage Bylaws.

Source

The RFP also cites the concurrent development opportunity on the parking lot at Canterbury and Princess and is encouraging proposals that incorporate both sites.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 1:33 PM

As much as I like parking there, I wouldn't lament its loss in favour of a nice new development.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 3:13 PM

Some new jobs coming to the city, most likely locating in the core.

https://onbcanada.ca/marketing-analy...bs-saint-john/

and Historica has purchased two addresses on King and transforming them into 20 High end apartments…keep packin' 'em Keith!!

http://huddle.today/keith-brideau-uptown-apartments/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 3:23 PM

Also the last of the jelly bean houses on Union where taken down over the weekend, I wonder when we will see any renderings of the new housing complex, more people living uptown.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...tion-1.4144194

A little side note, I have seen on FB in the last few weeks two different couples listing their East SJ and Quispam houses for sale looking to move uptown. A trend maybe??? who knows but interesting never the less!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 11:05 PM

That parking garage seriously needs to be made to infill. It's in the heart of the bar district now, exciting times

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:48 AM
ハルウララ

Pleased to see that parking garage opened up to proposals. Good to see that as we're adding parking garages we're also actively remediating our current parking structures to attempt to make up the difference. Even better that this parking structure is more central than the ones currently being built. It's a negligible loss of parking spaces at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
A little side note, I have seen on FB in the last few weeks two different couples listing their East SJ and Quispam houses for sale looking to move uptown. A trend maybe??? who knows but interesting never the less!
This isn't simply a Saint John trend. Boomers with grown children are moving from high-maintenance suburban properties to lower-maintanance urban settings in many areas across North America. It's simply easier to be within walking distance of amenities without having to maintain an entire detached home.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 1:34 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Another map tool to share from the City that shows the location of building permits throughout SJ: https://saintjohn.maps.arcgis.com/ap...8f57c9880216a4

Lots of info to be had by clicking on the individual points including the permit date, estimated value and a short description of the work. So far I've found renovations for 2 new pizza places in the works Uptown, among other things.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
This isn't simply a Saint John trend. Boomers with grown children are moving from high-maintenance suburban properties to lower-maintanance urban settings in many areas across North America. It's simply easier to be within walking distance of amenities without having to maintain an entire detached home.
Well neither of these two couples are boomers but the lure of more maintenance free living was mentioned as the reason for one of the couples. I suspect its because they have a trailer in the Narrows where they like to spend as much time as possible, I would too..beautiful area.

Harbour Passage is continuing to grow, this year will see Broad Street to Sydney Street completed and work scheduled for next year to link it to Tin Can Beach. The Eco Hub extension at Long Wharf is set to open soon too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kfuE6U0Sy0

Also great work done by volunteers to the Tin Can Beach area a few weeks back….community spirit alive and well!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...john-1.4132105

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
Well neither of these two couples are boomers but the lure of more maintenance free living was mentioned as the reason for one of the couples. I suspect its because they have a trailer in the Narrows where they like to spend as much time as possible, I would too..beautiful area.

Harbour Passage is continuing to grow, this year will see Broad Street to Sydney Street completed and work scheduled for next year to link it to Tin Can Beach. The Eco Hub extension at Long Wharf is set to open soon too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kfuE6U0Sy0

Also great work done by volunteers to the Tin Can Beach area a few weeks back….community spirit alive and well!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...john-1.4132105
I just wonder if or when Harbour Passage will connect Market Place on the West Side to the gazebo kiosk on the corner of Chesley and Bentley.

To me, the Passage would really be complete until then, sadly.

=P

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 10:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
I just wonder if or when Harbour Passage will connect Market Place on the West Side to the gazebo kiosk on the corner of Chesley and Bentley.

To me, the Passage would really be complete until then, sadly.

=P
There are plans you can find that had Harbour Passage looping around the west side of Reversing Falls. You should be able to google them or find them in archives somewhere. It was pretty ambitious.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 1:18 AM

Fingers crossed hoping they get rid of Loyalist Man.

Cred: https://www.instagram.com/touchakisphotography506/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 1:28 PM

How dare you! Loyalist Man is an institution!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces