HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I was born and raised in Texas (now live in CO) but the arrogance of many Texans (especially on this thread) is just too much. While seeing a place prosper economically is great and Texas has a lot to be proud of for creating an atmosphere that enables that growth, it is sad to see it at the expense of another state or a place like Austin getting all of these companies when places like St Louis and Detroit could use some of that. You’ll just create the same situation as California.
In my total arrogance, I disagree with all the comments in your post, except the part about you now living in Colorado. I'm surprised you didn't choose to move to crime ridden St Louis or Detroit. They could use your tax dollars and morality, since many companies choose not to move there. I am saddened that you chose Colorado at their expense.

Last edited by the Genral; Dec 14, 2020 at 12:09 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
In my total arrogance, I disagree with all the comments in your post, except the part about you now living in Colorado. I'm surprised you didn't choose to move to crime ridden St Louis or Detroit. They could use your tax dollars and morality, since many companies choose not to move there. I am saddened that you chose Colorado at their expense.
This comment was completely unnecessary.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
This comment was amusing, yet accurate.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 4:02 PM

The thing that made me laugh about it was the assumption that St Louis and Detroit and Austin are interchangeable to companies like Oracle -- that somehow we're all apples and not oranges, and that we're somehow dishonestly stealing the business.

There was a lot to unpack in just that last sentence.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 4:42 PM

Wow! Very witty repartee by the General.

I'm a fan of capitalism and the free market economy. Places like Detroit and St. Louis can help themselves by becoming more competitive again. Starts with building safe communities and having good education.

I was born in the suburbs of Detroit so this hits close to home.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Will be interested to see how this plays out, and what sort of jobs estimation -- if at all -- there was for the relo. Their CA HQ is huge, so I have to assume that we'll end up with some additional build-out . . . but if they're going all- or mostly-remote, their HQ headcount was probably going to reduce drastically anyway.

Here's the current HQ:

I really don't want us to become known as a billionaire's tax haven. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
in case anybody was wondering what asymmetrical, modern buildings look like 20 years later...

that campus is trash and those buildings will be demo'd after oracle moves out...hopefully housing if redwood city is smart

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 4:56 PM
World Traveler

I won't argue the point that these buildings are unattractive, but to say that they will be torn down upon Oracle leaving is a bit of a stretch. A lot of these could be repurposed for other companies. Most of the office parks in the area around these buildings are the epitome of ugly, suburban complexes - won't argue with that.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Hahaha, I love it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I won't argue the point that these buildings are unattractive, but to say that they will be torn down upon Oracle leaving is a bit of a stretch. A lot of these could be repurposed for other companies. Most of the office parks in the area around these buildings are the epitome of ugly, suburban complexes - won't argue with that.
Well my comment wasn't made with any inside info. It was a prediction. Ugly gets torn down. After it's moved out of. Beauty stays.

I think the scale of that campus will harm its ability to be leased out again. CRE is in for interesting times ahead in south bay. HQ square footage adds up quick, couple that with remote work acceleration...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidberko View Post
Wow! Very witty repartee by the General.

I'm a fan of capitalism and the free market economy. Places like Detroit and St. Louis can help themselves by becoming more competitive again. Starts with building safe communities and having good education.

I was born in the suburbs of Detroit so this hits close to home.
Absolutely no disrespect intended to both those cities. They could be great again. It starts with your comments. To be a city of choice such as Austin is, that's where it starts. It has to be safe and livable. Baltimore seems to be struggling with this concept also. Is it the lack of leadership, lack of funds, both? Austin is doing ok in those metrics, perhaps even better because of our location and climate, and certainly because there are no State taxes. Austin should be commended for the many years of sustained attractiveness to the many businesses that have chosen to be here, not accountable to the cities that have been unable to do so. Bottom line is, Austin is a great place to live, raise a family, bring in and keep businesses, and attract tourists. The rest of Texas is not that far behind. Our Chamber of Commerce has less promoting to do than the majority of the country. We're in a good place right now. There's no shame in relishing in it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 9:12 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Yea, his comments were over the top BS.

This thread emanates arrogance? I don’t mind posting everyones post for the last 1 month and we can determine arrogance is there or not. I haven’t seen it. But maybe he’s talking about me? In which case he’s been told twice now that I’m neither a Texan nor live there. So using my posts to generalize people and places is pretty low. Clearly the guy thinks posting news articles about relocations and people wanting their favorite projects to start construction is arrogant.

We live in a free enterprise and capitalist country where freedom of movement is afforded to people and businesses alike. But this guy wants to guilt trip Austin for getting HQs just because St. Louis or Pittsburgh don’t get many HQs. It’s like bro, why in the hell should that be Austin’s fault? This guy shouldn’t watch any sports, it’s arrogant because LA attracts all the top FAs in basketball, baseball, and soccer. FAs that smaller market teams draft and develop. And he shouldn’t read Twitter, Reddit, YouTube comments, or the news because it’s extremely arrogant of them all to report and actively discuss major relocations of people and businesses. And he shouldn’t ever read on Hollywood’s history of migrating from NYC and Chicago in the early 1900s to LA, which became the film capital of the world at NYC, NJ, and Chicago’s expense. He shouldn’t ever NYC and DC, which took the financial power and nations capital away from Philly. This is a free enterprise system, things have every right to move but some think that it’s arrogant and places should turn major companies down and insist they move to cities that have been down on their luck like STL and PIT.

I’m not gonna feel bad that SF Bay is losing a few company HQs. First of all they’re maintaining all the jobs and employment there, so no ones losing their jobs over these HQ relos. Secondly, they have a $1.1 trillion dollar economy with the worlds greatest companies. No, I’m not gonna be feeling sorry for them when a few HQs move away. That’s hardly anything to be feeling sorry about. It’s a free movement society.

If you wanna lure people and companies then first hold your elected reps responsible for creating the type of environs that attract people and businesses. That means lowering crime, reducing pollution, building out infrastructure, developing a strong sense of community and culture, creating ample housing and office supply, upgrading transit, investing in schools, upgrading roads, and listening to businesses on what they want and being receptive to it.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 9:31 PM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 9:49 PM
ATX USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I lived in Pflugerville during the height of "Keep Austin Weird" t-shirts. For a short time someone really was selling t-shirts that said "Keep Pflugerville Boring."

Ironically, Boring seems poised to become the most interesting thing in P'ville.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlotron View Post
I lived in Pflugerville during the height of "Keep Austin Weird" t-shirts. For a short time someone really was selling t-shirts that said "Keep Pflugerville Boring."

Ironically, Boring seems poised to become the most interesting thing in P'ville.
I hate the boring company with a passion. Looking forward to the opening of their Vegas loop when everyone realizes how useless what they want to do is.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 10:19 PM

Yeah Pflugerville, YEAH!!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlotron View Post

There was also "Between a Rock and a Weird Place"

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I hate the boring company with a passion. Looking forward to the opening of their Vegas loop when everyone realizes how useless what they want to do is.
Your not gonna like what Clarke said about TBC.

From the article by Kathryn Hardison – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal

"Some real estate experts have speculated that Musk may be planning a tunnel from the Tesla site to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, which is about a five-mile trek. Others have wondered if The Boring Co. is positioning itself to place a bid on Capital Metro's recently approved Project Connect transit plan, which includes adding an underground tunnel downtown. In a Nov. 19 interview, Capital Metro President and CEO Randy Clarke said he would welcome The Boring Co. to participate in the future public bidding process."

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post

"Some real estate experts have speculated that Musk may be planning a tunnel from the Tesla site to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, which is about a five-mile trek. Others have wondered if The Boring Co. is positioning itself to place a bid on Capital Metro's recently approved Project Connect transit plan, which includes adding an underground tunnel downtown. In a Nov. 19 interview, Capital Metro President and CEO Randy Clarke said he would welcome The Boring Co. to participate in the future public bidding process."
I read that rather differently. To me that sounds more like a “put your money where your mouth is”.

What was he supposed to say, preemptively (illegally) ban them from a public bidding process?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post

They aren't eligible for project connect because they only build 14' diameter tunnels which can't fit a train. Case closed.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I read that rather differently. To me that sounds more like a “put your money where your mouth is”.

What was he supposed to say, preemptively (illegally) ban them from a public bidding process?
Interesting take. No telling what the future holds when it comes to Musk and TBC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin