HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 2:54 PM

well today the day. I stand firm and will say that I dont want the NDP back in power, but based on the news & poll reporting it appears its going to happen. If I was a Union person I'd be a very happy person with huge increases coming my way (that what i was told recently by a Union person, he also said they are fighting for less hours in a week and higher pay). oh well, 4 more yrs till we try this again.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcsta View Post
Why is every reply from you structured like its something I would read on a facebook debate between two elderly, out of touch geriatric patients?
And another fluffer with no skin in the game of life!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Thanks to increased federal transfer payments! No credit to the MB PCs.

“Total major transfers to Manitoba for 2023-24 will round to $5,881 million—an increase of $733 million from 2022-23.”

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...manitoba.html#
Thank you to BC, AB, SK, ON and NL for supporting MB.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Yeah, except ON also received equalization this year.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Manitobans should thank all Canadian taxpayers, because that is where the revenue comes from.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 7:55 PM

Equalization is basically just resource revenue redistribution. Nothing Alberta or Sask is doing makes a lick of difference as they waste money too or have terrible tax policies that just benefit the wealthy they were just blessed with what was in the ground thats all.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 8:24 PM

Prediction:

NDP 31
PC 24
LIB 2

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Equalization is basically just resource revenue redistribution. Nothing Alberta or Sask is doing makes a lick of difference as they waste money too or have terrible tax policies that just benefit the wealthy they were just blessed with what was in the ground thats all.
Alberta's main complaint. is in the past 60 years, they have a net gain of $600 billion, only second to Ontario- $800 billion, but when we factor per-capita amount, Alberta is far and away Canada's biggest "have" province. Yet, all of that money is sent to prop up provinces running a deficit.

OTOH, 7 of the 10 province have been net losers, and ahve had to rely on equalisation payments. Quebec has taken the most equalisation payment, with Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and PEI all classified as "have-not" provinces.

Alberta's beef is that why they should continue to subsidise other provinces, especially Quebec, as they feel Ottawa favours Ontario and Quebec over the West.

PS....there is less tax in Alberta than anywhere else in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
well today the day. I stand firm and will say that I dont want the NDP back in power, but based on the news & poll reporting it appears its going to happen. If I was a Union person I'd be a very happy person with huge increases coming my way (that what i was told recently by a Union person, he also said they are fighting for less hours in a week and higher pay). oh well, 4 more yrs till we try this again.
I have no problems with Unions. Greater pay for the working class will be beneficial to the province, as it allows more purchasing power. The alternative is to give the richest 5% tons of tax breaks, as well as private companies.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Alberta's main complaint. is in the past 60 years, they have a net gain of $600 billion, only second to Ontario- $800 billion, but when we factor per-capita amount, Alberta is far and away Canada's biggest "have" province. Yet, all of that money is sent to prop up provinces running a deficit.

OTOH, 7 of the 10 province have been net losers, and ahve had to rely on equalisation payments. Quebec has taken the most equalisation payment, with Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and PEI all classified as "have-not" provinces.

Alberta's beef is that why they should continue to subsidise other provinces, especially Quebec, as they feel Ottawa favours Ontario and Quebec over the West.

It is honestly in ALL province's best interest - including Alberta - to have equalization payments that help balance the fiscal needs and wants across the entire country. If there was no equalization program, the state of infrastructure, public transit, and healthcare across most provinces would be abysmal, and Ontario, BC, and Alberta would have burgeoning provincial budgets. This imbalance would force international and internal migration to those provinces in way greater numbers than what we see now, pushing up real estate and other prices in "have" provinces while the "have nots" would be fighting for the breadcrumbs of population and tax base growth.

That's just the nature of living in a country highly reliant on natural resource extraction and energy. The regions with heavy concentrations of energy resources, which have high values in today's global market, will naturally reap all the benefits and have better capacity to build roads and hospitals and transit systems and schools. If the wealth isn't spread around, jobs, population, and economic growth will be concentrated in too few places which isn't good for anyone.

We can throw a pity party all day for being a "have not" province highly reliant on equalization to keep healthcare afloat, but it's not any politician or average person's fault that the geological formations of our province simply doesn't contain easily extractable oil like SK and AB.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 4:30 AM

I just saw Kinew give his speech. He said some important things there. First of all I liked his message to the young natives. He said people have to make changes for themselves and stop making excuses if they want change. I think he is going to be blasted for saying this but he is 100% correct and my respect for him went up for having said that. It's a pretty historical moment having the first Native politician elected as premier. I hope this puts to rest the negative idea that racism will hold you back in this country. Racism exists no doubt about it but it is not a barrier to getting ahead in life. Wab Kinew just proved that, he was just elected to the highest office in the province of Manitoba. Congrats to him.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 8:02 AM

For people who are tired of seeing declining health care, education, and social mobility this change in leadership was sorely needed. I’m hoping that they still plan on using the Houston model to deal with the homeless crisis and starting the path for constructing our provinces first safe injection site. The people who mostly care about cutting taxes and right wing propaganda on gender and social issues will be disappointed, but thankfully they don’t represent the majority of Manitobans.

Also, the optics look pretty good. I wonder if Winnipeg is still the “most racist city in Canada” now that most of cities ridings were responsible for electing the only Indigenous premier in the 10 provinces.

That being said. I need some answers from the NDP on transportation infrastructure. Specifically rewriting of the highway traffic act to make streets safer, to increase AT infrastructure funding, and of course public transportation. At minimum they need to bring the 50/50 funding split plan while picking up the pace on the Transit master plan, and it’s time to reintroduce regional transit to places such as Selkirk, Stonewall, Birds Hill, Winnipeg Beach/Gimli, and maybe even Steinbach, Niverville, and Portage La Prairie. I also need some answers in regards to their public housing strategy, and if they plan to use Bill 37 to combat NIMBYism and streamline the process to eliminate exclusionary zoning.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 1:10 PM

Results closer than pollsters had with popular vote 45 42. Had pcs had a more likeable leader they very well could have won it. To me the health promises by ndp were key. I hope they can get some transit improvements help with homelessness. I don't expect perfection.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
It is honestly in ALL province's best interest - including Alberta - to have equalization payments that help balance the fiscal needs and wants across the entire country. If there was no equalization program, the state of infrastructure, public transit, and healthcare across most provinces would be abysmal, and Ontario, BC, and Alberta would have burgeoning provincial budgets. This imbalance would force international and internal migration to those provinces in way greater numbers than what we see now, pushing up real estate and other prices in "have" provinces while the "have nots" would be fighting for the breadcrumbs of population and tax base growth.

That's just the nature of living in a country highly reliant on natural resource extraction and energy. The regions with heavy concentrations of energy resources, which have high values in today's global market, will naturally reap all the benefits and have better capacity to build roads and hospitals and transit systems and schools. If the wealth isn't spread around, jobs, population, and economic growth will be concentrated in too few places which isn't good for anyone.

We can throw a pity party all day for being a "have not" province highly reliant on equalization to keep healthcare afloat, but it's not any politician or average person's fault that the geological formations of our province simply doesn't contain easily extractable oil like SK and AB.
That’s quite the argument for equalization. And a province’s wealth has to do more than just oil and gas. Given the abundance of resources in MB and its geographical location in Canada, it should be a wealthy province; but it’s not. Why? What happened to the “Chicago of the North”?

Equalization makes a province lazy. Why bother making difficult choices with regards to spending and economic development when you can go cap and hand to Ottawa and receive a nice fat cheque.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post

Newfoundland no longer receives equalization.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 1:31 PM

The PCs election campaign was a disaster in every sense. The only thing it accomplished was pushing lots of moderates to the NDP. I’ve never seen a worse campaign executed.

People tend to want change after a long run with one party in charge. The PCS only have themselves to blame on major issues like healthcare. Yes healthcare is in trouble all over the country, but at least put in a minister who seems to be able to use common sense and will try to make things better. Audrey Gordon rightfully lost her seat. I’ve never seen someone who inspired less confidence in my life. That’s on Stefanson for leaving her in charge for 2 years rather than admit she was in over her head.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 1:41 PM

Looks like pcs only won 3 winnipeg ridings OOF! and Stefanson only won her own seat by about 260 votes for the staunchest pc riding in the city. I would think Obby Khan will likely be the next PC leader as he won Whyte Ridge comfortably and has some charisma.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Yeah, except ON also received equalization this year.
Here's an article which explains why Ontario received a payment of $421M.
https://thehub.ca/2023-01-16/trevor-...-not-province/

Basically, if there's more money in the equalization pot than needed to bring "have-nots" up to the national average to raise revenues, these excess contributions go back to the contributing provinces.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
The PCs election campaign was a disaster in every sense. The only thing it accomplished was pushing lots of moderates to the NDP. I’ve never seen a worse campaign executed.

People tend to want change after a long run with one party in charge. The PCS only have themselves to blame on major issues like healthcare. Yes healthcare is in trouble all over the country, but at least put in a minister who seems to be able to use common sense and will try to make things better. Audrey Gordon rightfully lost her seat. I’ve never seen someone who inspired less confidence in my life. That’s on Stefanson for leaving her in charge for 2 years rather than admit she was in over her head.
I don't think I have ever seen a person so ill suited for politics as Stefanson she's not a strong campaigner and has zero people skills she's not the type who wants to shake hands kiss babies and shoot the breeze. she's much better suited as maybe a minister or campaign manager but not a leader.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post

That is not how Alberta sees things. Alberta has essentially subsidised Quebec for over half a century.

Alberta has never really qualified for any equalisation payments in over 60 years, while provinces like Quebec and some others have been granted billions of dollars. Yet for the past 50 years, Quebec has been whining and threatening to separate from Canada, and have often demanded special status. The powers that be have tried to appease Quebec, and bail Quebec businesses out. Who can forget the CF-18 contract that they awarded to an inferior bid in Montreal over the Winnipeg bid, and bailing out Bombardier, while oil and gas companies in Alberta are given nothing, and some relocated a few years back.

Western alienation is real, and you can't just write it off as irrelevant. Alberta and BC combined now have 1.3 million more people than Quebec. That would ahve been considered impossible in the 80s. Most ALbertan do not want to leave Canada, but have become disillusioned over the preferential treatment that the Federal Government gives to Quebec and Ontario.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan