HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 6:58 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
Ok regarding the interstate links particularly Atl/Hsv/Mph link:

There is a easy solution to this, it is the natural market based solution..... And is essentially free to the state.

If the state were to allow private infrastructure investors (very big business in practically every nation except US, even Europe) to come in and build their own roads and collect tolls everyone would be better off. Because:

-the can built it cheaper
-they can maintain it better and cheaper
-roads can be built on demand or in anticipation of demand instead of in response to demand which is essentially the problem in all southern states
-Aldot will have resources to concentrate on its existing road system
-its entirely use based
-in many cases different road operators can compete to provide the best road at the best price (for example is it a better use of money to travel on the free state owned roads to from Memphis to Atl, or is the better road worth the fee?) Meaning individual choices in the market, when there are viable alternative choices, can create competition and improve the experience for everyone.

I firmly believe if Alabama set up a private infrastructure development corporation (separate or division of aldot), which uses the states power to buy land for public use, in order to help facilitate investment. We could have all these projects and more completed within a decade:
-Mobile River bridge and bayway expansion
-Mobile outer loop and/or elevated airport expressway
-Montgomery loop
-Jeff Co 280 elevated expressway
-Jeff Co northern beltway
-myriad of need HSV metro projects
-Atl/Memphis via hsv link
-85 to meridian extension

I am 100% serious when I say we could have everyone of these projects completed within 10 years, if private investors were brought in. The world and nation is sooo full of liquidity that is just trying desperately to find a stable home in assets like roads, transit (when viable or subsidized), airports, roads, and everything else of the nature.
good ideas, but first I would like to know what exactly is causing such delays and now huge backlog with ALDOT. They blame funding and there may be some of that but Congress has funded every project that was requested. I mention back to a post where the ALDOT director asked
Mayor Spencer what projects she thought were high priority and that they should focus on. Pure stupidity and waste of time. He doesn't know that already? It has been reported that the director can decide which projects can be delayed or moved up depending on what he wants. That may be the problem. The Mayor should give the Governor a tour of ineptness on HSV's
roads while he is here.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
good ideas, but first I would like to know what exactly is causing such delays and now huge backlog with ALDOT. They blame funding and there may be some of that but Congress has funded every project that was requested.

Oh definitely..... We need to find out what the problems are and find solutions fast. What I was suggesting was in addition to what we already have, especially since I anticipate Alabama's population growth to start to pick up since its GDP has been growing almost 5%.

IMO, Alabama should look to TexasDot to find new leadership. They have somehow been able to manage their massive growth even though they exist in a very large state (which inheritably is very bureaucratic ex. Cali/NY). I personally believe our problems are beyond small and we need a restructuring.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 7:10 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Oh definitely..... We need to find out what the problems are and find solutions fast. What I was suggesting was in addition to what we already have, especially since I anticipate Alabama's population growth to start to pick up since its GDP has been growing almost 5%.

IMO, Alabama should look to TexasDot to find new leadership. They have somehow been able to manage their massive growth even though they exist in a very large state (which inheritably is very bureaucratic ex. Cali/NY). I personally believe our problems are beyond small and we need a restructuring.
I agree with that, Texas is amazing in its road building capability.
You have highlighted the problem, Alabama in relation to it's past way of thinking has grown up, departments like ALDOT need to realize they
are overwhelmed and need help.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 8:32 PM
Huntsville Metro Now!

Monaco Pictures and Providence

Does anyone know any information about the continued development at Providence? I heard that there is supposed to be a 2 screen movie theater and additional offices built on the East Side of Providence Main, but nothing seems to be going on right now.

Also wondering when the loop in CRP will get completed.

This is my first post and I am glad to be here!

BKOTH97

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 9:59 PM
Huntsville Metro Now!

Huntsville Buildings

I am just getting to know this site and I was wondering why Huntsville only has a few buildings listed in the SSP database. Huntsville doesn't have a huge number of skyscrapers, but there are a good number of 3-6 story buildings between downtown and CRP.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
My question is when did they start construction on that portion of the Outer Loop and how long has it been idled for?

First off, because of the amount of interest, I think this discussion would probably be better viewed in another thread--possibly a new one--and the Huntsville thread can return to Huntsville developments.

But to try to answer your question, construction on that portion of the outer loop began sometime before 1996... I remember it being around the time of the completion of the RSA Tower in Montgomery. From 1997-99 construction slowed to a crawl, kicked into high-gear in 2000, then abruptly stopped in 2002.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 10:48 PM
Huntsville the star of AL

Huntsville Buildings

You should check emporis.com they are fairly accurate and have pics of buildings for most cities. Even some of mine.....lol

Metro area ...417,593 and growing..

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 2:21 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
Does anyone know any information about the continued development at Providence? I heard that there is supposed to be a 2 screen movie theater and additional offices built on the East Side of Providence Main, but nothing seems to be going on right now.

Also wondering when the loop in CRP will get completed.

This is my first post and I am glad to be here!

BKOTH97

Welcome to the Forum!
Here is a link to Providence
http://www.villageofprovidence.com/
I'm not familiar with the loop you speak of unless you mean Farrow Lane which
runs by Columbia High School and ties in with Slaughter Rd. should be complete by summer.

Post often

Last edited by HSVTiger; Apr 10, 2007 at 12:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 2:26 AM
America's Mars Rocket

more info on the mega site, a new interchange on I-65 is set to begin construction soon in this area.
Limestone site certified for auto plant
DECATUR – Local leaders announced this afternoon a 2,000-acre “megasite” in Limestone County has been certified as a good place to build an automotive assembly plant.

The site, announced during a press conference at Calhoun Community College, is located east of U.S. 31 and west of I-65 north of Garrett Road. It’s called a “megasite” because it’s been certified by McCallum Sweeney Consulting as meeting all the criteria necessary to build an automotive assembly plant.

There aren’t any specific industries targeting the site yet, but U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer, D-Huntsville, said the megasite puts North Alabama “right where we need to be” in attracting industry.

“I’m so positive that we can now do the hard work you know we’ve got to do to attract industry here,” Cramer told the crowd.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 2:42 AM
Huntsville Metro Now!

HSVTiger,

The "Loop" is Explorer Blvd. I am going to attempt to put the master plan below. I know that Farrow Road will be done in June...I have been following it closely as I live about half a mile from it. That connection between Slaughter and the CRP is going to get very busy, very quickly as Madison Pike is overwhelmed right now.

I heard that the new "Midtowne" development may be the driver to complete the Explorer Blvd loop as seen in the master plan.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Welcome to the Forum!
Here is a link to Providence
http://www.villageofprovidence.com/
I'm not familiar with the loop you speak of unless you mean Farrow Lane which
runs by Columbia High School and ties in with Hughes Rd. should be complete by summer.

Post often
He's talking about Explorer Blvd. and the missing link between the area west of Dynetics Corp. west of Enterprise Blvd. and Farrow Road.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 3:28 AM

Quote:
more info on the mega site, a new interchange on I-65 is set to begin construction soon in this area.
Limestone site certified for auto plant
DECATUR – Local leaders announced this afternoon a 2,000-acre “megasite” in Limestone County has been certified as a good place to build an automotive assembly plant.

The site, announced during a press conference at Calhoun Community College, is located east of U.S. 31 and west of I-65 north of Garrett Road. It’s called a “megasite” because it’s been certified by McCallum Sweeney Consulting as meeting all the criteria necessary to build an automotive assembly plant.

There aren’t any specific industries targeting the site yet, but U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer, D-Huntsville, said the megasite puts North Alabama “right where we need to be” in attracting industry.

“I’m so positive that we can now do the hard work you know we’ve got to do to attract industry here,” Cramer told the crowd.

I hope major incentives are not used to lure a plant to the site. From a economics standpoint it may be in Huntsville's best long term interest to focus on what it has been doing good which is aerospace/defense/etc and not on some plant that could more easily be shut down and moved to Mexico. HSV is already at full employment anyways (though that term is undefinable).

Huntsville metro does not need these "mega industrial projects" as the rest the state does.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 12:08 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
HSVTiger,

The "Loop" is Explorer Blvd. I am going to attempt to put the master plan below. I know that Farrow Road will be done in June...I have been following it closely as I live about half a mile from it. That connection between Slaughter and the CRP is going to get very busy, very quickly as Madison Pike is overwhelmed right now.

I heard that the new "Midtowne" development may be the driver to complete the Explorer Blvd loop as seen in the master plan.

gotcha, that's one of the best layout views of Research Park around.
It does a good job of showing the immense size and diversity it has.
the Biotech Industry will be big in that area of the park thanks to Hudson-Alpha, so that too may spur the completion sooner.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 12:19 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
I hope major incentives are not used to lure a plant to the site. From a economics standpoint it may be in Huntsville's best long term interest to focus on what it has been doing good which is aerospace/defense/etc and not on some plant that could more easily be shut down and moved to Mexico. HSV is already at full employment anyways (though that term is undefinable).

Huntsville metro does not need these "mega industrial projects" as the rest the state does.
well I'm not sure I totally agree, I think if you have a site and an opportunity to get such a plant you do. The more diversity the better, and this site would pull in a 100 mile radius. There are a lot of people who need jobs within 100 miles. When Verizon had their job fair last week over 1200 people showed up, so full employment doesn't mean there are no unemployed people. The major incentives would come from the state/TVA. If Toyota were to set up shop no one would complain. Toyota's engine plant in Huntsville has been nothing but positive, I guess they have close to 1000
workers now, and more expansion is almost a sure thing. The area is positioned to go after whatever jobs they can and that's good.

From The HSV Times
"TVA commissioned the megasites through McCallum Sweeney in March 2004 in response to the growing need for large industrial properties appropriate for auto manufacturing.

For that reason, the megasite could sustain two 1.7-million-square-foot buildings suitable for auto manufacturing. Other allures to prospective industry include close proximity to Huntsville International Airport, port access on the Tennessee River, quick access to major roads and a possible dual-service rail.

Tom Hill, president of the Limestone County Economic Development Association, said the site could be developed for other purposes, such as technology, but the hope is to attract an auto manufacturing plant.

"We really want to see an assembly plant on this site," he said.

Neal Wade, director of the Alabama Development Office, emphasized the importance of certification in competing for economic development projects.

"One of the most important roles of local governments and their development agencies is providing quality products - sites and buildings - that are ready for prospective industry," Wade said in a statement. "Certification of this site is a major step toward competing for future projects."

The megasite is just south of a proposed interchange in Tanner that could steer more traffic through Limestone County. Cramer has secured $4.3 million for the interchange so far."

and a little more info from the Decatur Daily

"Three years in the making, the 2,010-acre site extends from U.S. 31 to Interstate 65. Officials unveiled plans for it during a presentation at Calhoun Community College.

The land fronts I-65 from about mile marker 343 to mile marker 345. That places it within two miles of a planned interchange at Brownsferry Road, scheduled for construction beginning this fall.

The site's southern border, along Garrett Road north of Pryor Field, is one mile north of the Decatur city limits.

As a prerequisite for Megasite status, the property already has water, sewer, electric and natural gas access. It also has the potential for rail access. Although there are no specific plans for it, a concept drawing of the site includes an interchange at Garrett Road and I-65.

Tom Hill, president of the Limestone County Economic Development Association, said no specific industry or industry type has been identified for the site.

He said the Tennessee Valley Authority designed the site to meet the criteria of an automobile assembly plant, but those same criteria would meet the requirements of many other industries.

TVA retained McCallum Sweeney Consulting to design the site. McCallum also assists large companies in site location. Its clients include Nissan and Mitsubishi.

Ideal site

"U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer, D-Huntsville, said the idea of establishing a TVA Megasite originated several years ago when he and U.S. Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Tuscaloosa, were pitching North Alabama to Toyota. Toyota's North American president told them the ideal site would be close to I-65, close to the river and near the Tennessee state line."
The spring pygmy sunfish — about one-inch long when mature — is found only in two locations, both in Limestone County, according to the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Some inhabit the Beaverdam Creek watershed, which drains into Wheeler Reservoir. Others inhabit Pryor Spring. Biologists successfully stocked the fish in Pryor Spring in the 1980s. The first spring pygmy sunfish was discovered in Cave Spring, Lauderdale County, in 1938.

Robinson said TVA had to design the Megasite so as to avoid disrupting the wetlands, which could have upset the rare fish's environment.

This is TVA's ninth Megasite, and the first in Alabama. In February, Toyota chose a 1,700-acre Megasite in Tupelo, Miss., for a Highlander sport utility vehicle assembly plant. Toyota said the $1.3 billion plant will create 2,000 jobs.

Steel manufacturer SeverCorr bought a Megasite in Columbus, Miss., where it is building an $880 million, 450-employee plant.

McCallum Sweeney certified the Mississippi site.

"Having a certified Megasite ready for development in Limestone County along with access to affordable, reliable power gives the North Alabama region an advantage in recruiting new automotive assembly plants or related industries," said TVA President Tom Kilgore, who attended the presentation."

Last edited by HSVTiger; Apr 10, 2007 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 12:48 PM
America's Mars Rocket

This has been an action item, to take full advantage of our local universities.
This is a good step in that direction.

From staff reports
Huntsville Times
Universities to work together in on-site counseling services

Under a new agreement among Alabama A&M University, the University of Alabama in Huntsville and the Huntsville/Madison County Chamber of Commerce, both universities will add staffed small business development centers at their campuses and maintain a presence at the chamber.

The arrangement will take advantage of the expertise, advice and economy of campus-based business graduate students and faculty to help provide small business support.
Together, the universities will provide on-site counseling services to individual small businesses and continue a series of small business seminars at the chamber.

"The rapid growth of the Huntsville regional economy, which continues as a result of opportunities arising out of the Base Realignment and Closure process, has driven this very strategic move by our universities and the chamber," said Alabama A&M President Dr. Robert Jennings.

"The Huntsville and North Alabama region is a very healthy environment for small business development and technology-based entrepreneurship, and we look forward to providing this leading edge economic development service through the universities' on-campus programs and at the chamber of commerce," said UAH President Dr. Frank Franz.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 1:07 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Get ready,
any day now Steak n Shake will open it's first HSV store
at it's freestanding location in front of Madison Square Mall.
Is the food that spectacular? not really but it's very good, and the shakes are excellent. It's just a fun place to eat. Good luck in getting in for the next
month or so, Macaroni Grill next door will be a good backup plan.

Even better will be Red Robin gourmet burgers opening within weeks in Jones Valley.
http://www.redrobin.com/redrobin/home/menu.aspx

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 1:36 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Get ready,
Is the food that spectacular? not really but it's very good, and the shakes are excellent. It's just a fun place to eat. Good luck in getting in for the next

Even better will be Red Robin gourmet burgers opening within weeks in Jones Valley.
The Steak N Shakes in Mtgy and Prattville suck(ed). The MTGY ones are closed, and the Prattville one is always dirty, and really bad service (ok... it was dirty and had really bad service the 2 times I went there... I won't go back). It may be just local management... but yuck.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 1:49 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio View Post
The Steak N Shakes in Mtgy and Prattville suck(ed). The MTGY ones are closed, and the Prattville one is always dirty, and really bad service (ok... it was dirty and had really bad service the 2 times I went there... I won't go back). It may be just local management... but yuck.
Hopefully this one will be better, the one in Decatur seems to be ok, very busy. The HSV store looks nice in any case, big bucks for that location,
has a upscale quality feel to it.
Restaurants , really no in between , either good or bad. Makes you wonder how Hardees can stay in business.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Get ready,

Red Robin might be good, but the best burgers in Huntsville handsdown is at Soulburger located on Bob Wallace Ave. just west of Triana Blvd.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 5:00 PM
Midtown Montgomery

You Hunstvillians need to try Hamburger King.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast