HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 6:47 PM
ARTchitecture

Exactly. Toronto's CBD is the most beautiful CBD skyline Canada, now it is being overtaken by lifeless, lackluster architecture and those two horrific twin towers. I'm hoping that the design of some of these get altered to something a bit less terrible.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 6:49 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I'm sorry to say, but this isn't proper urbanism. Lifeless condo towers and wide boulevards don't make for good street life, or life at all.

It juts reminds me of this:

http://www.andifitsreal.com/2010/02/le-corbusier.html

It looks like a total dystopia. Scary thought.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 6:53 PM
gettin' rich!

Living beside a highway isn't that bad.. I thought you guys were new urbanist? Why are you so behind the times? You've really gotta get with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post

Rendering of Underpass Park

From here

http://www.thesquarefoot.ca/content/...Underpass-Park

Waterfront Toronto unveils Underpass Park

A derelict area beneath a series of overpasses in the West Don Lands is going to be transformed into an urban jewel. Waterfront Toronto unveiled plans for Underpass Park, the most extensive park to ever be built under an overpass in Canada, and the first in Toronto.

Located within the West Don Lands - home to the 2015 Pan American Games Athletes' Village - Underpass Park will cover a total of 1.05 hectares (2.5 acres) under and around the Eastern Avenue and Richmond/Adelaide overpasses, between Cherry Street and Bayview Avenue.

New pictures from andrioduk at UT

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...ss-Park/page11

More from Cityplace by drum118 at UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum118 View Post
Aug 06
Retail going in on the east end now.

thread here:
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...rangle)/page47

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 6:59 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by interchange42 View Post
The Towers

looking west-southwest

looking west-southwest

looking south

looking southeast

looking east

looking west

New Skyline Renderings of North Yonge with 501 Yonge in full view.

From interchange42 at UT

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...58s-x2)/page49

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 7:01 PM
Look at me!

Yeah, like that's gonna happen. Optimistic, to say the least.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 7:01 PM
ARTchitecture

We've had stuff similar to that in Vancouver for years under the viaducts and the Cambie Bridge. When Toronto actually starts to build it then I'll be impressed... but to be honest, that proposal is for the Don West, not for the Southcore. We were talking about the southcore being basically a horrendous mistake, not the West Donlands. One thing, possibly the only thing, that the southcore has going for it is that it is near the waterfront... so that in itself may allow it some semblance of a feeling of a "neighborhood", I hope that is the case.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 7:02 PM
gettin' rich!

I posted the pictures above, it's happening right now..

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 7:06 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
We've had stuff similar to that in Vancouver for years under the viaducts and the Cambie Bridge. When Toronto actually starts to build it then I'll be impressed... but to be honest, that proposal is for the Don West, not for the Southcore. We were talking about the southcore being basically a horrendous mistake, not the West Donlands. One thing, possibly the only thing, that the southcore has going for it is that it is near the waterfront... so that in itself may allow it some semblance of a feeling of a "neighborhood", I hope that is the case.
Southcore is built around Bremner, which is sure to become the number one entertainment street in Toronto.

ACC, Rogers Centre, Convention Centre, Ripley's Aquarium, CN Tower, Real Sports Bar & Grill (Best Sports Bar in North America), Longos,and Elleven.

Also I was just using the West Donlands as an example that living under the highway isn't such a bad thing.

Last edited by caltrane74; Nov 11, 2011 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 7:22 PM

^Until concrete pieces start falling onto your head. I'm ambivalent about the Gardiner. It is a vital vehicular artery, but it's also inarguably ugly, noisy, smelly, dirty, etc. Burying it, like in Boston, would be ideal, but the funds just aren't there, and the political will and public interest have all but disappeared.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 7:40 PM

Quote:
I posted the pictures above, it's happening right now..

and look how popular it is.

You can render in all the people you want in the brochures, but would you personally honestly want to spend time underneath the Gardnier? I know I sure wont be spending a minute at those "parks".

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 7:42 PM

Quote:

Yeah, like that's gonna happen. Optimistic, to say the least.
Actually it has already happened in many parts of the world.

Pics are my own: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3063463...7625100490367/

In Japan they use the space under viaducts extensively. They are often very cool urban spaces with lots of artists, venders and the general public utilizing them.

I think this is a great plan for toronto. I know that the skate park under the viaducts in Vancouver is always packed (strangely they have not taken from this cue and have left the remainder of space under the ducts undeveloped).

Also, Granville Island in Vancouver (one of my favorite urban spaces in the city) is largely located under what is essentially a viaduct (I know, it is a bridge)

I have always felt that one of the reasons why elevated structures are such in North America is that we have not learned how to properly incorporate them into the urban fabric (such as they have in Asia and to a lesser degree Europe)

Anyways, i think the best use they should do though in those Toronto renders is built outdoor sporting facilities such as community tennis courts, basketball courts and playgrounds, using the viaducts as a good shelter from rain and other bad weather

But, the ducts in Vancouver do seem to be built higher up and have a more open feeling than the Gardnier.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 7:49 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

You can render in all the people you want in the brochures, but would you personally honestly want to spend time underneath the Gardnier? I know I sure wont be spending a minute at those "parks".
My point exactly.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 7:50 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:

It was still under construction in that shot. - Also the area around the park will be built up. I don't know if you've heard, but it's called the West Donlands, also still under construction.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 7:53 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
My point exactly.
When the area is built up with all those monster skyscrapers that you're so frightened of get built, you'll see how fast those parks get filled up with people getting sick of their skyline and lake views for 75 floors up.

come'on Rico, thought you were a forward thinking progressive Montrealer not afraid to think outside of the box. You should be the leading cause for urbanism on this site, considering you come from Montreal. We urban neophytes in Toronto, are still adapting to the cards that have been dealt to us, and are playing the best we can with the hand given.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 8:36 PM

Quote:
It was still under construction in that shot. - Also the area around the park will be built up. I don't know if you've heard, but it's called the West Donlands, also still under construction.
You're missing the point.

Do you honestly see yourself going out of your way to go that park?

I personally don't see it as an attractive space to spend an afternoon and I doubt I'm in the minority.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 8:39 PM

Quote:

I personally don't see it as an attractive space to spend an afternoon and I doubt I'm in the minority.
there will be enough people living in the area to use the space, as well as the Pan Am games

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 9:00 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:

When you live there, it might become an attractive spot, versus say rolling up to Sherbourne and Dundas, or Moss Park.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 9:00 PM

Pan am games? what does that have to do with anything?

People living in the area does not guarantee the parks will be well used. People will not go sit under an elevated highway just because it is there, they will go to the lakefront or do what most people end up doing which is sitting inside.

I do really worry about the south core and its viability as a neighbourhood. It has so many negative hurdles to overcome, including the lack of green space, segregation from the rest of the city and soon to be incredible shadowing issues.

I have a feeling the area is going to be a bedroom community right in the heart of the city, with people staying in their condos and interacting with the streetscape in a very limited capacity.

I hope I am proved wrong, but it just seems that is the way the neighbourhood is shaping up.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 9:03 PM
gettin' rich!

I have no idea what your talking about, BREMNER BLVD is in now way a suburban Street. It is probably gonna be the most action packed street in Toronto. There will always be huge crowds on this street at all times, winter and summer both. All of these buildings are being built on Bremner or just off it. It will not be suburban. - I don't know what Suburb has an ACC on the corner, a Skydome on the other corner, a Harbourfront Center down the street, an Aquarium and CN Tower opposite, a Delta Hotel 7 office towers, and North America's Most Impressive Sports Bar, including Las Vegas all on one superblock.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 9:17 PM

I never said it was going to be a suburb cal, i said i was worried it would become a bedroom community, with people just going back to their condo and not going out and interacting on the street at all.

And all these condos are not going up on Bremner, the tallest of them will be going up between lakeshore/Harbour and the gardiner, which I am afraid will not be properly designed with respect to the street level.

Like i said I hope I am wrong, but I just have a bad feeling about the neighbourhood.

And outside of events at the ACC/rogers centre Bremner can be quite dead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada