HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 7:51 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
Can anyone name another city or suburb of the same size that even comes close?
There is Benidorm with a 2020 population of 70,450 but agree that New Westminster is impressive for a small suburb of less than 80,000. Benidorm's skyline is due to it being a beach resort town.

Benidorm, Spain

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...n-8781491.html

Last edited by isaidso; Mar 20, 2024 at 8:14 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
It will be interesting to see how the skylines of Ottawa and Montreal progress over the coming decade. Ottawa has far fewer restrictions on it's skyline, just some specific protected viewplanes. Montreal has a blanket restriction on it's core at 200m or so based on relation to Mont Royal. Ottawa has a far taller building proposed than Montreal allows (900 Albert T1) and no restrictions on further proposals outside of the protected viewplanes.
Albert T1, if it gets built, won't really do much for Ottawa's skyline IMO. The towers will form a mini-cluster that will be visually detached from downtown, kind of like a smaller version of the Humber Bay cluster in Toronto, which is large enough to be its own thing at this point. Maybe the same thing will eventually happen around the Albert towers.

I'm interested in how the various restrictions evolve, particuarly in the context of high prices and housing shortages. I can't speak for Ottawa and I don't expect the 200m limit to be lifted any time soon, but there are murmurs that it might be outdated, which eventually will lead to a broader conversation/consultation. A new masterplan for the island is being developed and a tripling of the minimum density threshold is on the table.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeej View Post
Albert T1, if it gets built, won't really do much for Ottawa's skyline IMO. The towers will form a mini-cluster that will be visually detached from downtown, kind of like a smaller version of the Humber Bay cluster in Toronto, which is large enough to be its own thing at this point. Maybe the same thing will eventually happen around the Albert towers.
It will help once LeBreton Flats is built-up and forms a continuous skyline from Rideau to Bayview and beyond. At this rate, the Flats might be fully built before the Trinity at Bayview project.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 9:03 PM
Ham-burgher

A view of Hamilton's core from the south-east along this road, farther distant than most such angles of the city, shared by thomax in the Hamilton subforum.

The TV tower in the background has replaced the one at bottom centre of the satellite view, which was recently fully demolished.

View towards Downtown Hamilton from Glover Mountain Rd. by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^ First place I thought of was your “Location”
Kelowna is quite a bit larger than 80,000 and not a suburb, although it isn't bad for its size!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
There is Benidorm with a 2020 population of 70,450 but agree that New Westminster is impressive for a small suburb of less than 80,000. Benidorm's skyline is due to it being a beach resort town.

Benidorm, Spain

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...n-8781491.html
Awesome! I had no idea Benidorm had such a low pop. Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The population in this context is irrelevant. New West isn't a standalone city of 80,000 people, it only exists as it is because it's part of a larger metropolitan entity - arbitrarily shrinking or expanding its boundaries further into Burnaby or Surrey wouldn't change the basic nature of the TOD development or make it any more or less impressive.
I never said a stand-alone city. I said Suburb. A couple times actually.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Awesome! I had no idea Benidorm had such a low pop. Thanks!
I don't think that includes the swarms of low rent Brits that plague the place.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:35 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
I never said a stand-alone city. I said Suburb. A couple times actually.
The point being that the population of a suburb is irrelevant. A suburb only exists as part of a larger entity and is therefore affected by the population & development patterns of that metropolitan area - not the population contained within that suburban jurisdiction alone (the boundaries of which being fairly arbitrary).

If New Westminster were a standalone city of 80,000 people it would be a very impressive skyline. But it's not. It's just one of many similar high-rise nodes throughout Metro Van; one that just so happens to be contained within a geographically constricted municipality. Its skyline would look the same though whether New West were the size of Surrey, or if were cut in half; because the potential demand for towers is not induced solely from within the municipality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Apparently Benidorm's population can swell by up to 400,000 people in the summer months (probably mostly British). Few of those towers are populated by its 70,000 permanent residents.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 9:40 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

What about Niagara Falls' skyline then?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 11:12 AM

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What about Niagara Falls' skyline then?
I have a soft spot for NF. They skyline is a bit of a cluster #%$@ but I kind of love it:

https://skylinespace.nyc3.cdn.digita...05_0025_up.jpg

I saw this rendering for their future skyline....not sure how accurate it is but it looks crazy!

https://media.blogto.com/articles/20...365&quality=70

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

That extremely fugly Hilton with the pathetic cupola on the roof takes the cake. I am embarrassed to say that I stayed there once.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:17 PM
Closed account

Very Canadian 'Las Vegas' take on those Niagara Falls shots.

Less tacky than Vegas, but also less fun and ostentatious.

Clifton Hill, a family-friendly version of The Strip.

The Falls are nice though.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post

That is a favourite vacation spot for the worst of Briton. I would never go there. It's like a warm Sunnydale Park.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
That extremely fugly Hilton with the pathetic cupola on the roof takes the cake. I am embarrassed to say that I stayed there once.
I stayed there as well, the views were awesome though.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Most nations have their tacky tourist cities. Niagara Falls doesn't bother me in the least. The more schlock the better I say!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 3:55 PM

I too share a particular fondness for Niagara Fall's skyline. It may not be my favourite collection of buildings from an aesthetic point of view, but I don't mind them at all. Can't wait to see if a) the new proposals get built and b) what impact they'll have on NF's skyline.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:31 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
I too share a particular fondness for Niagara Fall's skyline. It may not be my favourite collection of buildings from an aesthetic point of view, but I don't mind them at all. Can't wait to see if a) the new proposals get built and b) what impact they'll have on NF's skyline.
Agreed. Hell, I haven't been to NF in over a decade, it'd be nice to see the parks and such by the river, which is the only part of the city I find worth while, unless you're with a group of people who want to partake in the usual fare of the area.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 8:25 PM
Registered Drug User

I don't know the aesthetic school of thought for this, but Toronto is a prime example of the appeal of borders.

Quote:
When the great invisible hand tossed skyscrapers onto the ground in New York and Chicago, and Hong Kong too, the shoreline borders created definition, a decisive break between buildings here, no buildings there. Central Park works in this way too. As does Plaza Mayor in Madrid, in an inversion of my thesis.

Toronto, damn it, just doesn't have any clearly defined borders for you to thrill to a decisive line between chaos and order. It grew linearly away from the lake, not along the lake. Why is it that pressing finely-grained things up against the edge of a wall or something is so visually appealing? Am I just a bit OCD? Imagine pushing the stray buildings in this photo back to one side of Bay Street and plopping a Central Park down against it. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Quote:
This is a bit better per my aesthetic ideology. But still no lake or Millennium Park in Chicago.

Quote:
I don't like this much. It's just monochrome sloppiness. Maybe redeemed a bit by the dystopian bleakness of it.

The only solution is for Toronto to keep building towers until they bump up en masse against natural or articficial borders. There's a reason no one really cares about Sao Paolo's skyline, after all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada