HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 7:47 PM

For South of the Fraser river, we have needed something for a long time. In Abbotsford and Chilliwack, the fastest way to get to Vancouver now via public transit is the greyhound bus and up until recently, this was the only option. Via car, of course, in off peak periods you can get downtown in under an hour from Abby but the traffic is getting worse and worse and worse.

I wonder if an ART LIM system, like I think is being used with the new regional transit system in Montreal could handle the grades of a line down the highway 1 meridian? or at least from 176 St further east. Further west would be more complicated (and maybe more options to end up at Waterfront) - and Highway 1 misses a lot of major population centres but it would make acquisition and construction a lot simpler, and it does pass through some key commuter neighbourhoods - Fraser Heights, Walnut Grove, West Abbotsford. I am doubtful that putting modern DMUs on the old SRY line would be able to achieve realistic commuter times, or useable service.

Putting in regional rail to Abbotsford would of course have massive implications for development and densification in the Valley, but I think it would make a significant difference with housing affordability in Langley, Surrey, and North of the Fraser. Having the option to live further out, while enjoying similar commute times would I think be very attractive to much of the commuting population.

Alternately, have you looked at Moose Rail? If that project can actually go somewhere, perhaps something similar could be tried here, or some similar method of funding could be used for a new build?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesheh View Post
For South of the Fraser river, we have needed something for a long time. In Abbotsford and Chilliwack, the fastest way to get to Vancouver now via public transit is the greyhound bus and up until recently, this was the only option. Via car, of course, in off peak periods you can get downtown in under an hour from Abby but the traffic is getting worse and worse and worse.

I wonder if an ART LIM system, like I think is being used with the new regional transit system in Montreal could handle the grades of a line down the highway 1 meridian? or at least from 176 St further east. Further west would be more complicated (and maybe more options to end up at Waterfront) - and Highway 1 misses a lot of major population centres but it would make acquisition and construction a lot simpler, and it does pass through some key commuter neighbourhoods - Fraser Heights, Walnut Grove, West Abbotsford. I am doubtful that putting modern DMUs on the old SRY line would be able to achieve realistic commuter times, or useable service.

Putting in regional rail to Abbotsford would of course have massive implications for development and densification in the Valley, but I think it would make a significant difference with housing affordability in Langley, Surrey, and North of the Fraser. Having the option to live further out, while enjoying similar commute times would I think be very attractive to much of the commuting population.

Alternately, have you looked at Moose Rail? If that project can actually go somewhere, perhaps something similar could be tried here, or some similar method of funding could be used for a new build?
I had commented previously that Hwy 1 was a good candidate for some form of ground rail due to the median. There's very few crossings and most of them are overpasses (ok so some might require digging to get clearance but that's not a bit deal). A line there could run from Carvolth Exchange (202nd St) out to Clearbrook Rd with minimal road work required - expand the median at Clearbrook and it could continue on to McCallum Rd.

That combined with an eventual Expo Line extension down Fraser Hwy to Langley would make a lot more 'far flung' areas more appealing.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 12:52 AM

Something like this with 15 min frequency would do wonders to open up the valley, and also perhaps provide infrastructure for future HSR.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 1:25 AM

With commuter rail trains capable of speeds of 160 km/h, a 1 hour commute from Chilliwack should be possible, with complete traffic separation and proper station spacing. Skytrain averages 45 km/h with 1.5 km station spacing. Stockholm commuter rail averages 60 km/h with around 4 km station spacing so extrapolate from there.

Politicians will say that we don't need such a system but I think we do when you look at the astronomical cost of housing due to our geographical restraints (and other lesser factors).

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 5:45 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
With commuter rail trains capable of speeds of 160 km/h, a 1 hour commute from Chilliwack should be possible, with complete traffic separation and proper station spacing. Skytrain averages 45 km/h with 1.5 km station spacing. Stockholm commuter rail averages 60 km/h with around 4 km station spacing so extrapolate from there.

Politicians will say that we don't need such a system but I think we do when you look at the astronomical cost of housing due to our geographical restraints (and other lesser factors).
Housing cost is not a good reason to build commuter rail. Ridership is. Housing goes up and down... and in any case, it seems like we're on a cusp of a long-downward trend now anyhow.

The only way you're going to get a train to Chilliwack is if MOST of it is on already existing rail. It's going to have to be cheap to start. You have to grow the traffic gradually.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 5:49 AM

South of the Fraser commuter rail has as much chance of happening as the BNSF moving from the White Rock waterfront. Zero!! The WCE works because the CP rail line is relatively straight from Mission to Waterfront with very few restricted speed zones. The CN Rail line runs into a bottleneck west of the Surrey yard and doesn't even go downtown. I guess it could run from the Via station on Main with a Skytrain connection at Science World but it would be slow just getting out of the city until it gets through Surrey yards. Commuter rail is supposed to be fast. This option would not pass that test.

Running commuter rail down the #1, as has been suggested, won't work either because all the overpasses are not built to accommodate the height nor width a rail line requires.

Last edited by Trainguy; Nov 4, 2016 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
South of the Fraser commuter rail has as much chance of happening as the BNSF moving from the White Rock waterfront. Zero!! The WCE works because the CP rail line is relatively straight from Mission to Waterfront with very few restricted speed zones. The CN Rail line runs into a bottleneck west of the Surrey yard and doesn't even go downtown. I guess it could run from the Via station on Main with a connection at Science World but it would be slow just getting out of the city until it gets through Surrey yards. Commuter rail is supposed to be fast. This option would not pass that test.

Running commuter rail down the #1, as has been suggested, won't work either because all the overpasses are not built to accommodate the height nor width a rail line requires.
Overall, would it be faster?

If person one was in a car taking the most direct route, and person one was using transit taking the Skytrain/future WCE to White Rock, and they both left from Waterfront Station, who would get to their destination fastest?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 5:38 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
South of the Fraser commuter rail has as much chance of happening as the BNSF moving from the White Rock waterfront. Zero!! The WCE works because the CP rail line is relatively straight from Mission to Waterfront with very few restricted speed zones. The CN Rail line runs into a bottleneck west of the Surrey yard and doesn't even go downtown. I guess it could run from the Via station on Main with a connection at Science World but it would be slow just getting out of the city until it gets through Surrey yards. Commuter rail is supposed to be fast. This option would not pass that test.

These are my thoughts as well. Any commuter rail line to the Valley would just be too indirect, and it also doesn't hit any existing urban nodes or transportation hubs. It would wind through Surrey stopping at major street intersections that don't really have anything around them, and would likely have to be served by large parking garages. Unless we do a London-style Crossrail project, I don't think it would really be all that useful.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 7:35 PM

Quote:
The CN Rail line runs into a bottleneck west of the Surrey yard and doesn't even go downtown. I guess it could run from the Via station on Main with a connection at Science World but it would be slow just getting out of the city until it gets through Surrey yards.
Why does it keep coming up that any rail line *must* go to downtown Van? Surrey Central is becoming the South of Fraser downtown - rail lines could easily terminate there instead. Downtown Van is not the be all and end all.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Why does it keep coming up that any rail line *must* go to downtown Van? Surrey Central is becoming the South of Fraser downtown - rail lines could easily terminate there instead. Downtown Van is not the be all and end all.
Ok, based on that senario.. how many commuters are travelling from Chilliwack, Abbotsford, Langley, only to terminate in Surrey? The numbers have to be there to justify the huge upfront expense to purchase equipment and run the service on existing rail lines ( assuming CN Rail even agrees to it ) or somehow build a completely new set of tracks. If this were a priority, money and effort would flow its way.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Ok, based on that senario.. how many commuters are travelling from Chilliwack, Abbotsford, Langley, only to terminate in Surrey? The numbers have to be there to justify the huge upfront expense to purchase equipment and run the service on existing rail lines ( assuming CN Rail even agrees to it ) or somehow build a completely new set of tracks. If this were a priority, money and effort would flow its way.
I doubt there are any. The modus operandi of the half dozen people who want to revive the interurban still hinges on that bottleneck at New West, and since there are no interurban tracks/SRY beyond Surrey that is where it would have to terminate if it were to be like WCE. But Surrey has no place for a train terminus, especially if they build that LRT. New tracks would have to be built parallel to the Alex Fraser Bridge, and then navigate two more swing bridges. Then it could go all the way up Arbutus. It's a whole lot of nowhere industrial land between New West and Arbutus. There would be a lot of gnashing of teeth if the industrial areas were again bought up and redeveloped so I don't see anything, be it LRT or Commuter rail going through that area.

So that gives three scenarios:
- Commuter rail terminates at Surrey, anyone going into Vancouver takes the Skytrain at Scott Road, requires building a rail station and acquiring land.
- Commuter rail crosses the river at NW (either with a new bridge or the congested existing bridge) and terminates at Main street, drawing conflict between Via/Amtrak's use of facilities and rail ROW. But ultimately the cheapest solution.
- Commuter rail crosses the river at NW and goes along the Marpole/Arbutus ROW and terminates at Olympic Village (but there is nowhere to park trains except at that empty space between Cambie and the Olympic Village dog park.

Incidentally the Arbutus rail has been deleted from google maps.

The cheapest solution of course is to do nothing since there is nothing for commuter rail to service in Surrey or in New West/Burnaby/Vancouver. It's all industrial until you get to Sullivan station (museum), and then it's all industrial areas again until you get out of both Surrey and Langley.

Like this is why an LRT shouldn't be built down Fraser Highway, because it makes more sense to reuse the interurban ROW to connect Surrey and Langley with an LRT/commuter rail/anything, but it only services industrial areas, and there's no place to park trains for either in Surrey.

So a commuter rail from Chilliwack really has no place to take people unless it's only servicing industrial areas (which is similar to the area between Mission and Coquitlam.)

Surrey would of course be incredibly short-sighted and still build their LRT to terminate at Newton and then want to connect it to the SRY there or build a station at King George/64th to transfer to a commuter rail.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

because existing rail lines don't go to Surrey Central. Nor do good rights of way. Rail lines do go downtown, and downtown is, more than anywhere else, the sort of place that lots of people want to go and lots of people don't really want to drive to.

I think we should get the idea of a West-Coast-Express-style service out of our heads. There are no routes that make sense left that don't require a considerable investment, and it's simply not worth a whole lot of investment to have peak-oriented, mono-directional, infrequent stop, heavy locomotive-hauled trains.

If we're talking then about something that's going to require any serious investment, we should be talking about small multiple-unit trains that go both ways, all day, provided rapid transit service over railways for cheaper than alternatives rather than as a commuter shuttle. This is not the sort of service that runs between Waterfront and Mission.

I think that there are two places where this sort of service *could* make sense with existing rights of way - the former V&LI interurban between New Westminster and Marpole. This line has few remaining freight customers, is fairly straight (thus can support fast speeds), serves development sites like the River District and better connects regional town centers, providing a more direct route between Coquitlam, Surrey, and New Westminster with Richmond by Skytrain connection. Freight could probably be handled at night or over specified times, and rolling stock could be done for cheap-ish with off-the-shelf DMU like the Trillium Line or eBart or at a higher investment (and assumed better frequency and lower operating costs) with electrified EMU or LRVs.

At the inflation-adjusted per kilometer cost of the Trillium Line in Ottawa, such a project would cost about $60 million, though it might be necessary to construct extra track east of Queensborough Bridge in order to bypass the freight yard, which would drive up costs.

This would plug a gap in our regional transit system, in a similar way that the Lougheed Branch of the Expo Line provides cross-regional connectivity, enable more town centre-town centre travel, and provided the travel times on the line of a century ago, would be considerably faster and more reliable than equivalent bus service (25 minutes New West-Marpole), and could be bundled with service over Arbutus and through to Port Coquitlam if such was ever desired.

I think there's actually less of a case for the Fraser Valley Line, however, let's look into it. I don't think you would ever want to go beyond Langley City. The line starts being out in the middle of nowhere and less direct for further destinations, to start. Assuming a new Fraser Bridge is out of the cards, that terminates us at Scott Road, which will require a bit of new right of way to be a convenient connection. This skips Surrey Central, but Surrey Central is of far more paper importance than actual importance (fun fact, Langley City has more jobs) and the connection at Scott Road or to the express bus at Newton enable access, while also enabling access to New Westminster, Metrotown, etc. You hit central areas on Scott Road, Newton, Cloverdale, and Langley City all in a direct-enough line.

To be most useful, you'd probably want to rebuild the line through Cloverdale, rather than the bypass and rebuild the old right of way into Langley City which appears to include a trail now. This might necessitate a short stretch of street running, but it's a not unreasonable trade off. You could build a new terminus in the Army-Navy parking lot. If this wasn't desired, you could use the Langley Bypass and build a terminal on one of the industrial spurs to gain access to the commercial area.

Now, Fraser Highway rapid transit is probably going to be built in some form. If it's the skytrain, I would be quite willing to believe that there just wouldn't be enough overhead traffic to make the interurban route viable, but remember the interurban hits Cloverdale, Newton, and Scott road while Fraser Highway doesn't. I suspect an at-grade LRT line on Fraser would be much less competition, but it still has a straighter route through more immediately residential areas.

At Trillium-line costs, that'd run about $90, though the necessary additional track construction would likely cost more than New West - Marpole. The point isn't that these lines would generate hundreds of thousands of riders, but that you could potentially generate respectable ridership for a given capital cost.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 1:25 AM

Quote:
This has been posted on here before:
Interactive map shows Metro Vancouver commuting patterns

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdawe View Post
because existing rail lines don't go to Surrey Central. Nor do good rights of way. Rail lines do go downtown, and downtown is, more than anywhere else, the sort of place that lots of people want to go and lots of people don't really want to drive to.

Good points.

With the exception of extending existing Skytrain lines, I haven't been committed to specific rail technologies - only that it's not mixed in with car traffic (like Surrey's LRT plan).

We as a region really need to start looking at joining up town centres via public transit without requiring people to travel through downtown Van to do it. We also need to consider why so many people South of Fraser drive everywhere...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 4:46 AM
(daka_x)

The thing is everyone seems to discuss re-using the interurban rail like it's the only good solution to facilitate a transit alternative for inter-regional movement. As pointed out building rail down the Highway 1 median could be a great option, esp. given it's much straighter than the BCER, and I think it's worth discussion but none of the numerous advocacy groups clamoring for some sort of Valley inter-regional rail have been open to this option.

I personally think that another great option could be to outfit the Highway 1 corridor for expanded RapidBus service similar to what exists on I-5 north of Seattle. Inter-regional service by buses could offer a combination of all-stops service (similar to ST's 512) along with a non-stop service (ST's peak-hour 510) combined with end-to-end HOV and/or transit lanes, busway stations and transit exchanges given easy access to the highway. Additional lines could diverge from the highway and service key corridors, without requiring transfers - i.e. one that diverges at HighGate and then continues as a B-Line type service down South Fraser Way, providing a real connection to/from the metro from all points along Central Abbotsford. Certain routes could diverge at Highway 10 to connect to Langley Centre and a future Expo Line terminus, and another route could provide a regular service to Abbotsford Airport. With the considerable variation in potential destinations both in the Metro and in the Valley, I'd have to opine that rapid buses are going to be the most versatile solution for regional service to the Valley for the foreseeable future.

Committing to rail exclusively would eliminate these potential options that would be relatively inexpensive to eventually set up with rapid buses.

Remember, up until a few years ago, there wasn't any transit connection to the Fraser Valley and no way we could gouge the demand. We now have the 66X, but the relative demand of the service is very light. It still operates at hourly frequencies. How do we know that rail in the next 10 years would be financially sustainable over the long-term, from an operations perspective - let alone capital costs to build? Most Valley rail advocates gunning for some sort of LRT-type transit are asking for a type of service that doesn't actually exist anywhere else in Canada and is largely not proven to be sustainable - any such intercity commuter services in other cities in Canada are either facilitated by commuter-oriented buses (often operated separately from the main city's transit system, and with separate fares) or they are WCE-style commuter rail (i.e. GO, and AMT).

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 6:31 AM

For starters, I don't think that the interurban is useful for passenger travel beyond Langley City. I'm certainly not talking about Abbotsford or Chilliwack

Getting that out of the way, freeway transit tends to suck. Why does it tend to suck? Because hardly anyone wants to live or work by the side of the freeway . Highways work for car travel because the first and last mile is relatively simple, but for transit, where the first and last mile is relatively difficult, the fact that they repel development means that freeway transit is going to be nearly entirely dependent on transfer traffic or park-and-ride traffic - thin gruel for an effective system. You can look at all the rail lines build down the medians or along the flanks of freeways in the US and the disappointing ridership that goes along with them.

Now, it might very well be that the only functional right of way to get service out to Abbotsford and Chilliwack, especially from Langley and Surrey, is going to be by the highway. Perhaps it is the case that bus transportation will always meet the demands of the corridor, but that's a different situation than the interurban route west of Langley City

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 6:45 AM
loafing in lotusland

Just a point of reference. Commuter rail need not be quick, as long as it's competitive, comfortable, and convenient.

Does it compete with the car for time to crowded destinations, within reason? Has anyone taken the Amtrak downtown? I'd be curious what that line does from Surrey to Vancouver. That's the slowest part of the line.

Is it comfortable? That's a yes. It's more comfortable than SkyTrain by a large margin.

Is it convenient? If it goes to where the people are, then it could work. If it goes to where the people want to go, then it could work.

Remember that people moved to Maple Ridge and Port Moody and Coquitlam BECAUSE of the train. They could get to their downtown office jobs on the train and afford a house in the burbs.

Could a similar solution work for Surrey?

The big issue is that Pacific Central is on the edge of town. It's not quite close enough to the main businesses downtown. However, when the M-Line west opens up to Arbutus, a station at Commercial St or more likely closer to VCC would really open up possibilities for jobs along the Broadway Corridor.

I don't think a FVE is an impossibility. I DO think it has some hurdles to climb and I DO think there needs to be a political champion... but it's not dead in the water.

Besides, it'd give us an excuse to rebuild the New West Bridge to support faster more frequent trains and maybe give us a fighting chance at getting a sub-3-hour ride into Seattle on some faster trains.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
The big issue is that Pacific Central is on the edge of town. It's not quite close enough to the main businesses downtown. However, when the M-Line west opens up to Arbutus, a station at Commercial St or more likely closer to VCC would really open up possibilities for jobs along the Broadway Corridor.
I don't think there is a reason to terminate at Pacific Central, there is track that connects the Granville cut with Waterfront station.

I like the idea of expanding Commercial/Broadway station to include heavy rail (honestly it just comes down to redesigning the station to have platforms one level below the skytrain tracks. The probably need to double or triple track within the cut.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 4:54 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
The thing is everyone seems to discuss re-using the interurban rail like it's the only good solution to facilitate a transit alternative for inter-regional movement. As pointed out building rail down the Highway 1 median could be a great option, esp. given it's much straighter than the BCER, and I think it's worth discussion but none of the numerous advocacy groups clamoring for some sort of Valley inter-regional rail have been open to this option.

I personally think that another great option could be to outfit the Highway 1 corridor for expanded RapidBus service similar to what exists on I-5 north of Seattle. Inter-regional service by buses could offer a combination of all-stops service (similar to ST's 512) along with a non-stop service (ST's peak-hour 510) combined with end-to-end HOV and/or transit lanes, busway stations and transit exchanges given easy access to the highway. Additional lines could diverge from the highway and service key corridors, without requiring transfers - i.e. one that diverges at HighGate and then continues as a B-Line type service down South Fraser Way, providing a real connection to/from the metro from all points along Central Abbotsford. Certain routes could diverge at Highway 10 to connect to Langley Centre and a future Expo Line terminus, and another route could provide a regular service to Abbotsford Airport. With the considerable variation in potential destinations both in the Metro and in the Valley, I'd have to opine that rapid buses are going to be the most versatile solution for regional service to the Valley for the foreseeable future.

Committing to rail exclusively would eliminate these potential options that would be relatively inexpensive to eventually set up with rapid buses.

Remember, up until a few years ago, there wasn't any transit connection to the Fraser Valley and no way we could gouge the demand. We now have the 66X, but the relative demand of the service is very light. It still operates at hourly frequencies. How do we know that rail in the next 10 years would be financially sustainable over the long-term, from an operations perspective - let alone capital costs to build? Most Valley rail advocates gunning for some sort of LRT-type transit are asking for a type of service that doesn't actually exist anywhere else in Canada and is largely not proven to be sustainable - any such intercity commuter services in other cities in Canada are either facilitated by commuter-oriented buses (often operated separately from the main city's transit system, and with separate fares) or they are WCE-style commuter rail (i.e. GO, and AMT).
I agree. For the foreseeable future, expansion of the 66 concept along with improvements to Highway 1 will be more than enough to increase mobility options as demand continues to grow.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I don't think there is a reason to terminate at Pacific Central, there is track that connects the Granville cut with Waterfront station.

I like the idea of expanding Commercial/Broadway station to include heavy rail (honestly it just comes down to redesigning the station to have platforms one level below the skytrain tracks. The probably need to double or triple track within the cut.
Well, the good reason to not terminate at Waterfront is that 1) as long as there are so many grade crossings on the Burrard Inlet line, it will remain an 8 mph line. 2) as long as the junction with the CP line is configured as it is currently, you can't join the CP line without fouling all three tracks, and then having to cross all the way over to the other side of the tracks again to get to station. This is why there has been relatively sparse traffic through the Burrard Inlet Line or the Cut since co-production.

With repspect to the grandview cut, how many trains do you think we'd be squeezing through there to necessitate more than two tracks?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure