HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I believe it has substantially more square footage too. Allowing for more people to use it at the same time.
while the square footage may have changed some, it would not be substantial because there were no real additions to the structure, it was taken down to the skeleton and then just "re-fleshed". While the usable sq feet might have changed in that hallways are revamped or the cafeteria might be taken out, the actual square footage shouldn't see a significant difference. Plus it was/is in the top 10 of LDS temples for size related to square footage and one of only four temples that had/has? six instruction rooms.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeights22 View Post
Is Ogden still pretty ghetto and rundown? I haven't been up there in about 2 months. When I was up there 2 months ago, it was a dump. Has it changed? The Ogden airport is a dump as well.

I don't know what part of Ogden you saw, but, man, downtown Ogden is no dump. Did you check out 25th street or the new developments with the new theater, indoor/outdoor sports rec center? or all the new rehabilitated old warehouse buildings full of new ski companies?

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 1:51 AM
Engineer

Route for West Davis Corridor chosen-and environmentalists aren't happy. Neither are residents. Does this really need to be built? I don't get it . . .

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...overs.html.csp

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Route for West Davis Corridor chosen-and environmentalists aren't happy. Neither are residents. Does this really need to be built? I don't get it . . .

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...overs.html.csp
The 26 people whose homes are in the path of the road are upset, but that's hardly a majority. I live in west Davis Co., and for better or worse, most people are happy to see the new highway built. UDOT has gone to great lengths to minimize the impact this is going to have as much as possible.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 8:48 PM
Bring out the cranes...

No matter where it goes somebody's going to be upset. Nobody wants a freeway in their backyard but will be one of the first to drive the new road. Can't build it more east since that would cus even more homes to be removed and can't have it more west since then the tree huggers will then cry about the wet lands so......UTA is damned if they do or damned if they don't. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 11:42 PM
Engineer

I went to Syracuse once. It is clear and the heck out there. I thought I should have been halfway over the lake by the time I arrived to my destination. The freeway will be convenient for those who live out there. I wasn't aware that many people even lived there, which is why I was sort of confused as to why the WDC was even getting built. I certainly don't sympathize with those who are complaining about it being "in their backyard." That's a risk you need to weigh when you move a long distance from the freeway, or to an area that is sparsely developed. You don't know what the land around you will be used for, unless it's in a master plan community.

I just hate to see a freeway get built after the streetcar in South Davis County was proposed, but South Davis residents were adamant about it not getting built. Mayor Joe of Bountiful was all for it, but business owners on Main Street started putting anti-rail signs in their windows, and residents complained that a rail would put their children at risk because it would bring transients to the area and there would be the risk that the cars would hit their children. All this even though a streetcar is probably safer than a car. Then they complained about the tax increase, which would have been a sales tax less than a quarter of a cent for every dollar spent, which is next to nothing. But I guess you've got to give the people what they want, and they want more freeways, not public transit, which I don't understand, but maybe my mindset will change if I ever get married and have kids and decide to move out to the bleeding edge of development.

Last edited by airhero; May 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 11:50 PM
Engineer

The streetcar would have been like 4 blocks from my parent's house, which would have been awesome. That's why I was so bummed out by the opposition to it, but I guess if I really want to go home using public transit, I can just take the bus.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 6:25 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Let's clarify; If I'm not mistaken the Davis Transit proposal was trax was it not? If it was streetcar then it was a stupid idea anyway, because street car is slower moving, and single car, meant for local transportation and not for commuting, while Trax(light rail) is designed for higher speeds and commuting.

You are correct though, that trax would be much safer than all the commuters. 30-100 people on one vehicle driven by one driver, who's job it is to simply drive a train and be aware of what's happening around and in front of them, vs 30 - 100 cars driven by 30 - 100 commuters doing several things at the same time, because they are awesome at multi tasking while driving.

Building freeways has never once been proven to reduce congestion in the long run, it simply provides more options for more people to feel like they can move to the burbs, resulting in ultimately at least the same amount of congestion as there currently is.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 6:05 PM
Engineer

To be honest, I'm not sure what it was. I think the proposal was initially trax but it got very little support. I think the move toward a streetcar happened because proponents of a rail line thought that would ease some of the worries that residents had, but people saw trax and a streetcar as one and the same. Im not sure what the plans for the streetcar would have been because, like you said, it's kind of a long distance for a streetcar.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 9:18 PM
Engineer

Here's an article about it:
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14501854?source=rss

This one is a fairly recent article:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/neighbo...ounty.html.csp

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:33 PM

300-500 Residential Units will be added in a mixed-use project to be built on the current UTA parking lot adjacent to the Farminton FrontRunner Station:

Quote:
The Thackery Garn Company was awarded the contract to oversee that development, which will be called “Farmington Station.” A development of similar use and size is being planned for the Clearfield Transit station, and the same developer has been awarded that project.

It is expected that 300-500 residential units will be built within the eight-acre property, and a full range of amenities will be offered for the residents.

Due to the loss of the majority of parking stalls within the current UTA parking field, parking structures will be built to accommodate the Frontrunner riders as well as the residents and customers of Farmington Station.
Read more: The Davis Clipper - UTA to make more cash off Station Park property

http://www.davisclipper.com/view/ful..._news_1st_left

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:44 PM

Fantastic News!! I have been predicting this would come about from the very beginning, and sooner than later. I know a few folks seemed to think that it wouldn't happen for years or perhaps never. However, as I'm sure most of you will agree, it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that major residential was in the cards as a no brainer for this Station Park Project. Infact, I was thinking about this exact same situation earlier this morning, in relation to there being sooo many great things going on right at this location.

Hey IMO, if I'm thinking this is a place where I would really put at the top of my list as future apartment/condo search,(if the option existed)then there must me a lot of others thinking exactly the same thing.

Could someone refresh my memory as to the convenience of Lagoon to Station Park? Trails, easy walking distance, bicycle paths, shared parking, etc.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Could someone refresh my memory as to the convenience of Lagoon to Station Park? Trails, easy walking distance, bicycle paths, shared parking, etc.
They're pretty close as the crow flies, but across 2 freeways and 3 sets of tracks from each other. There is a shuttle bus that runs between the station and Lagoon.

The area in red below is what will be redeveloped:

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 5:38 PM

Wow, the dreams a developer could dream looking at that area!

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 6:09 PM

Being the skeptic here, it's probably just going to be some typical apartment looking building, just a little more urban.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 6:32 PM

Well, I don't know about that. I imagine the new area will be along the same pattern as phase I. I mean, from reports by many picky forumers like Ark,(I mean that as a compliment Ark) the set-up, designs, quality materials, etc. are impressive at Station Park. Also, if we're to believe the article, we're looking at a lot of mid-rises with ground level commercial/retail. Hopefully, they'll offer a walking village type set-up. I imagine they will

UTA to make more cash off Station Park property

The Davis Clipper | BY EMILY THOMPSON

Clipper Correspondent

FARMINGTON — A recent approval from the Utah State Legislature will allow the Utah Transit Authority to contribute its real property in exchange for an interest in a joint venture company. That means the transit centers are allowed to become moneymaking zones for UTA, in addition to earning revenue from ticket sales and getting a share of tax money.

Project managers for UTA have chosen to develop such an area within the property it owns at Station Park, and a developer has been chosen to begin a mixed-use residential and retail zone.

The Thackery Garn Company was awarded the contract to oversee that development, which will be called “Farmington Station.” A development of similar use and size is being planned for the Clearfield Transit station, and the same developer has been awarded that project.

It is expected that 300-500 residential units will be built within the eight-acre property, and a full range of amenities will be offered for the residents.

Due to the loss of the majority of parking stalls within the current UTA parking field, parking structures will be built to accommodate the Frontrunner riders as well as the residents and customers of Farmington Station.
Meanwhile, similar parking structures in Salt Lake County stand empty and have been called albatrosses by civic leaders there.

A variety of sought-after stores is expected to be added to the retail portion of Farmington Station, increasing the retail base within the entire Station Park area.

Read more: The Davis Clipper - UTA to make more cash off Station Park property

Last edited by delts145; Jul 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 6:38 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Great news. Now if only the strip mall on the Far East could be redevelop as well then this overall development could be a lot more Urban.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 11:33 AM

Utah’s third Apple Store coming soon, likely in Farmington

Retail » Location headed for Farmington’s Station Park shopping center.

By Vince Horiuchi | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...-utah.html.csp

Apple is planning to open a third retail store in Utah, according to its corporate website.

The job listings for the electronics giant state only that it is hiring for a new location in Salt Lake City. But the widely read Apple news blog, Apple Insider, says the site will be the Station Park shopping center in Farmington...

Last edited by delts145; Jul 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 2:45 PM

The Centerville City Planning commision site has two short videos posted showing renderings for the MTC (Management Training Corporation) 3 story expansion and the new Chick-fil-a

http://www.centervilleut.net/communi...ment.main.html

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 4:31 PM

These "luxury" apartments are being built on 500 West and 1800 South in Bountiful. Quite a large development for Bountiful and with them being 4 stories tall right along 500 West where they sit elevated from the road, it is quite a presence along the street.

Eaglewood Lofts

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West