HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 11:05 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

great update!! thanks!!

about going by "the broadway"....you might want to skip it for now. i was there about a week ago and they have a solid fence up so you can't see whats going on.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 12:17 AM

check out that traffic on 281n....i just hope i dont get stuck in traffic like that anytime soon. cuz summer is here, and my a/c is broke. haha

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 1:19 AM
Meh

Nice update, thanks.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 6:45 AM

Filling the gap

From this angle, the Hyatt is nicely filling the gap between the Mariotts.

Old Posted May 27, 2007, 1:09 PM

Interesting Article on Silver Ventures (Pearl Brewery developer)

Pace billionaire's latest efforts doing well, good
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...s.3556018.html
Web Posted: 05/26/2007 11:07 PM CDT

Sanford Nowlin
Express-News Business Writer

Pace Foods salsa billionaire Kit Goldsbury made headlines as far away as New York City earlier this month with a $35 million donation to the Culinary Institute of America.
The high-profile gift may have shone a bright spotlight on the media-shy Goldsbury for the first time since the mid-1990s, when he sold his hot-sauce company for $1.1 billion. But his current company, Silver Ventures, already has made a multimillion-dollar impact in San Antonio — with far less fanfare than the educational endowment.

Bankrolled by Goldsbury's Pace earnings, Silver Ventures is a major factor in downtown San Antonio's redevelopment, having thrown its weight behind the ambitious Pearl Brewery project and two high-end hotels developed with Hixon Properties Inc., the Westin Riverwalk and the Hotel Contessa.

The company's two fast-growing food businesses — tomato producer Desert Glory and bakery Ecce Panis (pronounced "EH-chay PAH-nis": That's Latin for "Behold the bread") — have made headway in the competitive grocery industry. Desert Glory, which employs about 5,000 in Mexico growing its NatureSweet tomatoes, may be poised to replicate Pace's success, observers say, and Ecce Panis is rising fast as it supplies East Coast grocers with artisan baked goods.

They're all bold business moves, but company officials said they go beyond book values and balance sheets.

Ask Silver Ventures officials about Pearl, and they'll talk about the project becoming an "educational experience" for visitors; bring up Desert Glory, and they'll talk about how its year-round growing cycle has helped workers who once toiled as migrant laborers.

They'll point out that Silver Ventures' successes help fund the Goldsbury Foundation, a charity that in eight years has given more than $35 million locally, mostly to children's initiatives.

"With Silver Ventures, I don't think it's being a pure financial capitalist — he's a human capitalist," said Douglas Hutt, the Dallas banker who helped finance Pace's growth. "He doesn't just think about what's going to be the best return on his money. It's what will also give a return to people in terms of jobs and what will give a return to the community."

In other words, Silver Ventures thinks big, spends big and goes for long-term projects that are as much about creating wealth as they are about boosting its hometown's fortunes.

For example, the company has spent a decade to redevelop the Pearl Brewery into an "urban village" that will include housing, retail and entertainment.

Ultimately, the project could extend downtown's tourist allure to lower Broadway while preserving a landmark. Silver Ventures officials say they're aiming high, drawing inspiration from world-class spaces like Seattle's Pike Place Market and Vancouver's Granville Island.

A local focus

The project flies in the face of real estate trends by largely eschewing big chains to focus on tenants with local ties and an educational component — among them, the Center for Foods of the Americas and Aveda Institute's beauty school.

Its development team has paid meticulous attention to preserving architectural features at the 120-year-old brewery, even slowing construction to restore some touches lost amid the brewery's periodic renovations.

"This isn't just about growing companies and revenues," said Silver Ventures Chief Operating Officer Ken Halliday. "It's also about growth on the people side. It's about improving our community."

Such lofty phrases tend to flow from Silver Ventures officials' lips when they describe the company's business, but they're also quick to point out that the company isn't a charity or a billionaire's hobby. Like any other business venture, it's about making money but making it in a way that takes a long-term, community-oriented view.

Its success helps fund the Goldsbury Foundation, which has made hefty grants to San Antonio institutions from Christus Santa Rosa Children's Hospital to the Bexar County Child Abuse and Neglect Court. This month, the foundation announced a $1 million challenge grant to help the hospital with child-abuse prevention programs.

"Silver Ventures and the foundation have been thoughtful and intelligent investors in our city, both with their charitable and business efforts," Mayor Phil Hardberger said. "I'd like to see more corporations and wealthy individuals in San Antonio take a page from their book."

Silver Ventures has bolstered its small corporate staff of 30 with advisers that are among the city's best-known businesspeople. Among them: former H-E-B President James "Fully" Clingman; attorney and one-time Design San Antonio leader Bob Sohn; and Ed Kelley, the retired president of USAA Real Estate who oversaw development of Fiesta Texas, the Westin La Cantera resort and the Shops at La Cantera.

"I'm not a real hands-on type of person," Goldsbury said during a recent interview about his gift to the Culinary Institute of America. "We've got lots of good people, and I believe in empowering them to do what they do best. They're smarter than me, anyway."

Officials with Silver Ventures wouldn't discuss financial information or say how much it's spending on projects like the Pearl redevelopment. They would, however, say they have no immediate plans to grow beyond their current holdings.

At various times, Silver Ventures has been an investor in businesses ranging from entertainment chain House of Blues to former Wal-Mart Stores Inc. subsidiary McLane Foods. However, company officials said it has since shed most of its peripheral investments to narrow its focus to Pearl, its hotels and two food businesses.

Last month, the company sold salsa-maker San Antonio Farms to TreeHouse Foods Inc. for $88.5 million. It bought the sauce producer, then called Van de Walle Farms, in 2002.

"When we started, we invested in a lot of different things," Halliday said. "Over time, though, we've tried to figure out where we can make the biggest impact, and that's in real estate and food."

Birth of a brand

The crown jewel of Silver Ventures' food holdings is Desert Glory, which the company purchased in 1996.

Since then, the company has expanded from a small growing operation with headquarters in a trailer in Devine into North America's largest producer of greenhouse tomatoes. Its small, homegrown-tasting tomatoes now sell in all the major grocery chains and in all 50 states.

Unlike other produce companies, Desert Glory packages its products and clearly brands them with its NatureSweet logo. It also spends "millions yearly" on ads to promote the brand, marketing Vice President Bryant Ambelang said.

"There's been a trend toward products like heirloom and greenhouse tomatoes, but actually branding what you produce is taking it a whole new step," Matthew Enis, an editor for Supermarket News, said of Desert Glory. "They can really set their product apart by having some consistency and then marketing that to the consumer."

Officials wouldn't reveal Desert Glory's sales but would say it produces about 2 million pounds of tomatoes a week. At its 1,000 acres of greenhouse facilities in the Mexican states of Jalisco and Colima, the company uses a special process that places plants under stress so they supply an abnormally high amount of nutrients to their fruit, giving them extra flavor.

The labor-intensive business draws its work force from the same parts of rural Mexico where it builds its greenhouses, and many on its payroll previously eked out a living doing migratory work across the U.S. border. The company prides itself in keeping about 90 percent of its employees on the payroll year-round and offering health benefits, training and advancement opportunities.

"We're going to get a more consistent product if we have people who are happy and comfortable working here," Ambelang said. "We're nice guys, and we think that's just the right way to treat people, but it's also good business."

People familiar with Desert Glory say the company bears a similar stamp to Pace, the business that Goldsbury built from a regional, family-owned salsa bottler into the nation's dominant hot sauce brand: focus on a single product, make it well, market aggressively nationwide.

"It's a similar concept, and I think it's one of those things that will probably end up doing what Pace did," said Lou Rasplicka, a former Pace vice president who now heads Triad Produce. "At some point, another company may end up saying, 'Hey, that's a good idea, I think I'd like to buy it.'"

Bread and sweets

While Ecce Panis, Silver's other food company, still is modestly sized compared to Desert Glory, officials say it has similar growth potential. Though the company has yet to expand much outside the Northeast, it already counts Wal-Mart and the Kroger Co. among its clients, according to former H-E-B President Clingman, who's acting chairman of the business.

The company employs 100 people at its New Brunswick, N.J., bakery, hand-shaping some 20 gourmet bread varieties, from rustic baguettes to Italian focaccia. It uses special ovens that carry the bread along on conveyors sheathed in baking stones to give the bread a crunchy exterior and soft interior distinctive to bread usually produced in smaller artisan bakeries.

The bakery cooks the bread until it's just shy of completion, then flash-freezes the loaves and ships them to groceries.

The store bakeries finish them in their ovens in just a few minutes and sell them alongside their own baked goods — although in Ecce Panis-branded packaging.

Clingman said the company's product could end up on San Antonio store shelves eventually, but Ecce Panis wants to dominate the Northwest and Midwest before going national.

"The nice thing about this company is you don't have Wall Street pressuring you to do short-term things, and you don't have the bankers telling you how to run your business," he said. "The focus here is on building value the right way and on taking a long-term view of things."

That long-term view also impressed Hixon Properties, Silver Ventures' partner in its hotel properties.

During its partnership, Silver Ventures has consistently focused on quality, from the construction materials to minute service details, Hixon President Jack Spector said. He recalls Silver officials insisting, for example, that drinks, sweets and cookies be served free to guests every afternoon in the Westin Riverwalk's lobby.

"It ended up being a nice surprise for our customers," he said. "Little ideas like that show the kind of attention to quality. There's always a lot of brainstorming going on."

And that eye for detail appears to be paying off.

The 473-room Westin Riverwalk and the 265-room Contessa are among the top 10 San Antonio hotels ranked by daily average room revenues, according to hotel consultancy Source Strategies, which counts 35,000 rooms in the metropolitan area.

Former USAA real estate honcho Kelley, an adviser on the Pearl project, said that Silver Venture's ability to focus on lofty, long-term goals factored into his decision to work for it after he retired in 2005.

In the torrid commercial real estate market, Silver Ventures has resisted the urge to fill the former brewery site with national tenants and flip it for a quick buck, Kelley said.

"When I came over here, I thought, 'Well, we'll just do the same thing we did with La Cantera — go after some big national tenants and fill it up,'" he said. "To my surprise, they said, 'No, that's not what we want.'

"They've an honest-to-God commitment to doing this right."

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 11:08 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Conceptual image of River North area...

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:03 AM
Meh

I notice they left in that building with the sloped roof down the street from Bank of America Plaza. This image gives me a better idea of its height. I'd say it's probably around 345 feet or so give or take. The Adam's Mark Hotel, which stands a few blocks behind it, is 335 feet tall according to the building's manager. This yellow tower in the lower right looks to be about ~240 feet or so.

Does anyone know what the different colors mean?

That's nice, but man, I'm hoping for more highrises there. Since there seems to be a "no no" rule against building high anywhere near the Alamo or Riverwalk in downtown, I should hope that River North would allow for increased heights, even along the river.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; May 29, 2007 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:26 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^^^ RE: color explanation for rendering above...

From Andres Andujar:
Quote:
In the foreground is River North, and the color schemes represent:

Yellow - residential (over 5000 units and 12,000 people, hopefully)
Orange - parking (typically inboard, not visible from the street like the Triangle in Austin at Guadalupe and Lamar)
Red - retail
Blue - office

In the background you see the Sketchup model we have built of San Antonio for the purpose of our studies. we have brought the model into Google Earth, so that the missing block buildings are now present, and controlled by us.

Tan - existing
Green - 3D/I projects completed
Red - 3D/I projects studied

The red building near the Nix is the 27 story next to the Kress.
The red building on hte right is the library showing the expansion, conceptually designed by Legorreta.
just to the left of that is a study for a project that is not going forward yet, on Lexington by the Tropicana.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 4:28 AM
Meh

Thanks!

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 7:57 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Vidorra Update 05/30/07

Vidorra Update:
Email from Vidorra says that the tower crane is expected to be assembled by late June or early July.

Also stated that the building is over 50% pre-sold.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Vidorra Update:
Email from Vidorra says that the tower crane is expected to be assembled by late June or early July.

Also stated that the building is over 50% pre-sold.
I thought that was a given for construction to start

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 2:03 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I thought that was a given for construction to start
Ya, I actually thought the number was closer to 60% required for construction. Maybe they're confident that they'll get more commitments once the building actually becomes a reality.

I take one thing from this: I don't plan on ever seeing a second Vidorra tower.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 8:25 PM
James

My thoughts exactly, people are still skeptical about the area... But there is still hope, give or take about 5 more years.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 12:25 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^^^ Ya, my wife and I looked at homes over there, actually about 2 years ago, just east of the Alamodome. There are signs of rebirth,wonderfully restored homes, and then there are 4 burned out crack houses the next street over. Tough to be the first to dive into such a thing.

And it doesn't help that the news leads every night with a murder, drug bust, or fire from the east side.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 8:32 PM
James

With all of the new development going one, property taxes are sure to rise. And then all of the less fortunate citizens living on that side of town will not be able to afford to live there anymore. A shame I know, but the area has to improve.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 7:48 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

A couple more renderings from Andres Andujar, for your viewing and planning pleasure:

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 12:28 AM
Endless Moments...

build them all...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 3:13 AM
Meh

The Vistana heights

Thanks to a certain forumer, (you know who you are), I've obtained the heights for The Vistana. Unfortunately, they don't show the entire height, since they don't show the very top height.

The highest height shown is 209 feet, 2 inches. However, measuring the height on a different point and comparing it, it equals 224 feet, and slightly higher than that, maybe by a couple of feet. The 209 foot height on the building is to the bottom of the cylindrical "lattern". Not the entire crown itself, just that cylinder near the very top.

179 feet, 2 inches to the top of the 1st setback in the crown. (First from ground).

The mainroof "floor" is 153 feet, 2 inches high. The parapet, or barrier wall, is 155 feet, 2 inches high.

The top floor, the 14th floor, is 142 feet, 6 inches high.

The 12th floor setback is 125 feet, 0 inches high.

The 11th floor setback is 110 feet, 4 inches high.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 3:45 AM
JACKinBeantown

Too bad it's not taller, but I love it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 8:12 AM

Anybody notice this small project across from UTSA at 1604 & Chase Hill?

I've always thought some dense resident retail would be great there to serve the on & off campus residents there in the neighborhood. All three of UTSA dorm complexes on the north side of campus are right there (Chisholm Hall, Chaparral Village and the new Laurel Village) with a total of 2300 students within an 1/8th of a mile. Dont know how many students are in the nearby apts of Chase Hill, Maverick Creek, Alpin Park, and Los Colinas. But it will be nice to have some retail nearby other then the SACU, Chevron, and Whataburger.

http://www.galoproperties.com/var/up...ite%20Plan.pdf

From their site descript:

Promenade Place
San Antonio, Texas

Galo Properties is developing a Mixed Use Project adjacent to The University of Texas at San Antonio. The development will be called Promenade Place and is located at the corner of Loop 1604 and Chase Hill Blvd. Promenade Place is planned for a 100 room hotel, 120,000 Sq. Ft. office building, and 30,000 sq. ft. of retail.

Promenade is adjacent to The Shops at La Cantera. The Shops at La Cantera is an open air mall with retailers Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Macy’s, and Dillard’s. The development will draw traffic from the mall to a more modern center where visitors can dine, shop, and stay.

Galo is currently in discussions with UTSA to lease 75,000 sq. ft. of the office building and is planning to build a Four Points Sheraton Hotel. Galo is marketing ground leases on three pads site for bank or retail use.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations