HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
I must be thinking of a different Camelback/7th Street. To me, that area seems seems ritzy compared to any of their other locations when they began.
The entire block south of Camelback and east of 7th Street is high risk to development, granted they are on the absolute edge of that block they're still in it. We have had several buildings just south of the canal between 7th and 10th Streets, it's not for the weak of hearts.

That all said, like I previously stated I think wood has the ability to pull it off and help the area transition.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 5:07 AM

Sorry, I don't see how 7th Street/Camelback is high-risk; I'd even say this is one of the more "upper class" stretches. Compared to 7th Ave/Fillmore where Alta Fillmore is being built, this new project site might as well be the Biltmore. Between Central and Camelback, there is Uptown Plaza, St. Francis, SunUp Brewery, and a series of other local businesses in relatively decent buildings that makes for an almost pedestrian-friendly block. Unfortunately, the intersection of 7th St/Camelback is awful with a gas station, Walgreens, Chase, and Denny's.

I also fail to see how this project is any different than Mark Taylor complexes out in the 'burbs. It's 4-stories, single-use, and set behind a gas station along one of the highest trafficked intersections in Phoenix. There's nothing urban or progressive about the design, and the location ensures that it will have 0 impact in a pedestrian sense- who in their right mind would choose to walk anywhere along those roads when you have your car conveniently cooled in the attached garage?

Wood Partners' projects - except what is now Skyline - are absolute shit. Calling a garage wrapped in residential units "an innovative solution" is really sad, I seriously would love to know which professor one day decided to teach his class that somehow private fitness centers and clubhouses create the exact same pedestrian-oriented benefits to a street as a series of various businesses/stoop-fronts/restaurants. An area doesn't become pedestrian-friendly because storefront glass is installed along a wall; there has to be something that those pedestrians are going to use inside. Why is that hard to comprehend?

Without a real possibility of any of the 4 businesses at the intersection being redeveloped, retail probably didn't make sense in this location, so whatever - but, when this thought process is applied to a project like Alta Fillmore, it really diminishes the impact that could be had on some neighborhoods. Given the Fillmore RFP included retail uses along Fillmore, the existing mixed uses to the north, and the proximity to Grand Ave, they could have created the beginnings of a safe connection between Grand Ave, 7th Ave, the west side of downtown, and downtown.

Anyway, if tearing down a building that was already housing local businesses and had potential for additional reuse for a car dealership and shitty car-oriented apartment building is what "revitalization" means for the 7th St/Camelback area, I'll take it in its previous "slum" environment. Here is the project coming to the land that once housed That's A Wrap! :

http://orbarch.com/index.php/mies_po...on-the-boards/

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 11:59 AM

Because it's on the wrong side of 7th Street, I'll reiterate though wood can pill it off and help the neighborhood transition. 700 block and 300 block are not comparable despite whatever you said in that novel I didn't read.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 3:54 PM

Micro-apartment project may receive property tax incentive

New details on the Derby Roosevelt Row. Of course they are getting tax incentives, but I don't think I have seen before where an actual school district gets into a separate agreement to offset the loses?

And sounds like there will be some very rich tweakers running around as well

http://downtowndevil.com/2016/02/04/...tax-incentive/
Quote:
The lease revenue would begin at $10,000 and end at $250,000, said Christine Mackay, Phoenix’s Community and Economic Development Director. At the end of the 25-year agreement, the amount of revenue collected by the city would be $3.2 million. If the developer was paying a normal property tax, the revenue paid to the city at the end of the period was estimated to be $14.5 million.

The Phoenix Elementary School District has negotiated a separate agreement with the developer to help offset any loss in tax revenue due to the GPLET agreement. This agreement, which wasn’t presented to the subcommittee, calls for the developer to pay the district annually for the duration of of the agreement, including the eight-year abatement, Mackay said.

Earl estimated rent for the units in the complex to be between $1,000 and $1,200.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 4:06 PM

Did someone say these will be full of "tweakers"? There's a market currently for small apartments, the generation that's currently moving into downtown wants the opposite of 2-car garage, crushed rock, red tile roof big homes; small apartments are very attractive for singles and couples.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 6:33 PM
Skyriser

^ Yes, I did, based on Phoenix's crummy existing microhousing structures.

I take it back, given the rents (which were much higher than I figured), but who knows how desirable this tower will be in the future. I'm still skeptical about how much this tower is needed or its demand given that its residents will be trading plenty of space compared to nearby projects for a view for nearly the same price.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 6:39 PM

It ultimately doesn't matter from a development standpoint because you can build a building like this and ride the wave. This is one that will be sold within a few years of opening and it will be someone else's problem if it is/isn't profitable in the future.

As for a local's perspective on what kind of neighbors they'll have living there I think your worries are bit unfounded. This isn't the Coronado Hotel or Campaige which are marketed as transitional housing on short-term basis with no lease. The building we are currently discussing will be market-rate apartments with traditional leases which alone will ensure it isn't going to be "tweaker" housing.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 8:19 PM
BANNED

Well, if it turns out it is tweaker housing, they should get a dental office for the retail portion.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:30 PM

So, the fact that Alta is moving forward with their 7th St. and Camelback project must mean that Elevation on Central is doing well. Wouldn't make much sense building basically the same thing a half a mile east if Elevation opened to a disappointing start, right??

Last edited by Tylerrrr; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 10:14 PM

One of the bids for Barrister Place proposed that it house the Barry Goldwater Museum and Archives, which had been slated for Mesa but never broken ground. It's a loss for downtown any time something like this or the Musical Instrument Museum are built in the suburbs. Both proposals selected for Barrister Place, each offering around 100 units in the existing building and 6-story additions, are pretty unimpressive for the location: the # of units doesn't make a dent among the several 250+ unit apartments being built, the 6-story height proposed heights will be dwarfed by any future Jefferson development, and neither were inspired by using a historic site whatsoever. Regardless of what stood on that land, each would have proposed residential units.

At least the Museum makes sense contextually with the Barrister's architecture and past, Luhrs, and govt district. I hope this makes the City aware that it needs a new location and encourages them to get it downtown. The Personnel Building would work since it has limited options otherwise and is close to the City govt., Wells Fargo Museum, etc. Of course, a 20-story tower with this at the base, with ASU Law and law firms/non-profits above would have been a great, *mixed use* project by ASU that actually fits within a city campus.

Too bad the County can't be kicked out of the Security Building for this. Even a library/museum and cafe would be nicer and more accessible than the existing blacked-out windows.

I am sure it will be built in Gilbert.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-downtown.html

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 2:34 AM

Metrowest took all their dirt away this week.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 11:39 PM

The Goldwater didn't go thru in Mesa because they missed their fundraising deadline. This was after they left Phoenix because the City DEMANDED that they include apartments as part of their development. Ironic that now they are being included as part of a residential development proposal. Anyway I wouldn't mind it here in Gilbert- the Mesa renderings were nice and I think it would be a better fit for the booming downtown here.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 12:14 AM
METRO: Encanto

Some information on Derby

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 1:36 AM
Skyriser

The Goldwater Library ought to be built on that obnoxious little parking lot next to Hanny's that will never see any other sort of development and is already entrenched in civic bureaucracy. It's too small to park for any other sort of use, but maybe some single-use glass and copper concoction would add some culture and dazzle to that part of downtown without sacrificing space for something bigger. I think most people would be OK with something like that overhanging the right of way even given its public purpose.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 2:57 PM

The Derby looks awesome! I have no doubt that retail will be leased. Also great to bring more residents to that intersection to keep FilmBar, Cobra and Angel's Trumpet busy!

Can't wait to see the project proposed for circles now. These two, along with Portland on the Park really do wonders to extend the skyline and start bringing high-rises closer to Roosevelt.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The Goldwater Library ought to be built on that obnoxious little parking lot next to Hanny's that will never see any other sort of development and is already entrenched in civic bureaucracy. It's too small to park for any other sort of use, but maybe some single-use glass and copper concoction would add some culture and dazzle to that part of downtown without sacrificing space for something bigger. I think most people would be OK with something like that overhanging the right of way even given its public purpose.
That's a good idea. I wish the City would at least issue an RFP to see if there is any interest since at one point, it was worth it to try and build a 5-story Aloft on the lot. I would rather see a lifestyle hotel with its own bar/lounge on that part of Adams, but I wouldn't mind the City actually being proactive about its abundance of empty land. And, a Museum fits into a strategy aimed at convention guests, since it's a unique, "authentic" attraction.

The Derby is great. Such a difference between the architecture of a highrise vs. the 5-story apartments that all look rather similar. I like the varied use of materials and colors, and that parking podium is one of the best I have seen. I'm especially happy to see two retail spaces, and that there will be frontage on both 2nd St and McKinley since both streets are filling up with other businesses. I'm not sure how easily they'll be leased, though, since most of the retail success of late has been in adaptive reuse. Maybe with the GPLET, they can subsidize the rent? The restaurant would likely get filled first, but I think it's good long-term for a boutique or something to go in the other space. *ETA: AND, they located the garage ramp off the alley. This one design feature would improve every other project out there. Cool.

Also, Fuego at CityScape closed. That follows Charming Charlie's closing its second level, and RED leasing the majority of that level to office users. Both closures suck, since the shopping component has been dwindling over time and is now down to just UO, Charming Charlie's, and Jos A Bank. And, 1st Street was definitely the most active and well-designed part of the entire project. Considering RED's failure to do much at all with Colliers, I wouldn't be surprised to see some more vacancies.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
That's a good idea. I wish the City would at least issue an RFP to see if there is any interest since at one point, it was worth it to try and build a 5-story Aloft on the lot. I would rather see a lifestyle hotel with its own bar/lounge on that part of Adams, but I wouldn't mind the City actually being proactive about its abundance of empty land. And, a Museum fits into a strategy aimed at convention guests, since it's a unique, "authentic" attraction.

The Derby is great. Such a difference between the architecture of a highrise vs. the 5-story apartments that all look rather similar. I like the varied use of materials and colors, and that parking podium is one of the best I have seen. I'm especially happy to see two retail spaces, and that there will be frontage on both 2nd St and McKinley since both streets are filling up with other businesses. I'm not sure how easily they'll be leased, though, since most of the retail success of late has been in adaptive reuse. Maybe with the GPLET, they can subsidize the rent? The restaurant would likely get filled first, but I think it's good long-term for a boutique or something to go in the other space. *ETA: AND, they located the garage ramp off the alley. This one design feature would improve every other project out there. Cool.

Also, Fuego at CityScape closed. That follows Charming Charlie's closing its second level, and RED leasing the majority of that level to office users. Both closures suck, since the shopping component has been dwindling over time and is now down to just UO, Charming Charlie's, and Jos A Bank. And, 1st Street was definitely the most active and well-designed part of the entire project. Considering RED's failure to do much at all with Colliers, I wouldn't be surprised to see some more vacancies.
Is Derby definitely happening? If so, that's something I'd get really excited abou. TThe design is just so-so. But I'm jonsing for something tall to go vertical. AAndiIllove thecconcept.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPhx View Post
Is Derby definitely happening? If so, that's something I'd get really excited abou. TThe design is just so-so. But I'm jonsing for something tall to go vertical. AAndiIllove thecconcept.
I don't see any mention of the project's name in the above rendering. Where did this come from?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 11:04 PM

Seriously? Those photos show a tower with exactly the same components that have been announced with regards to The Derby, and a site plan which indicates the tower shown will be built on exactly the same lot as The Derby. There's no doubt that those are materials for The Derby.

Is it "definitely" happening? Who knows. I have to imagine there is a demand for a lower price-point rental given the students and relatively young population downtown. These aren't cheap, but the location is perfect and the other projects will be asking 2-300 dollars more per month. I think it will get built, especially having received the GPLET.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 11:19 PM

Rogue Columnist has an article up dedicated to the Warehouse District; it contains fantastic historic images of what was once there. He posted it in reaction to the many articles coming out about the so-called revitalization happening down there.

It's sad to see that its value has been reduced to simply being affordable space for businesses to relocate. Creative/tech businesses in the District would be great if part of a bigger plan that determined how to use its assets for continued growth: its history, connection to South Phoenix, multicultural background, affordable space for arts-related small businesses etc.

The McGinnis warehouse on Buchanan/Central + the adjoining lot to the west have been sold to a Church. This building would have made a fabulous nightclub or music venue, and the parcel could have easily supported a midrise down the line.

roguecolumnist.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest