HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Right from the top:

Video Link
Its bad, and the admiral is being very charitable to CFRG. That org needs a severe kick in the ass to move from recruiting for normal rate of replacement for an institution at full Trained Effective Strength (TES). It needs to think that we have taken a Stalingrad level of loss and the CAF needs to be reconstituted yesterday!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Its bad, and the admiral is being very charitable to CFRG. That org needs a severe kick in the ass to move from recruiting for normal rate of replacement for an institution at full Trained Effective Strength (TES). It needs to think that we have taken a Stalingrad level of loss and the CAF needs to be reconstituted yesterday!
The odd industry event I have been to where there is an admiral priesting how they are addressing this they are quick to reference a pilot program the Navy has on the go to bring people who are on the fence about joining on year long commitment to tryout the Navy lifestyle and see if it is a fit or not before enlisting. No idea how well that program is working in practice.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The odd industry event I have been to where there is an admiral priesting how they are addressing this they are quick to reference a pilot program the Navy has on the go to bring people who are on the fence about joining on year long commitment to tryout the Navy lifestyle and see if it is a fit or not before enlisting. No idea how well that program is working in practice.
It’s getting people in the door. We’ll see how many stay after the year.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 3:23 AM

Quote:
It’s getting people in the door. We’ll see how many stay after the year.
Maybe they need a program to fast track permanent residency for immigrants willing to join the Forces.

If not, they may need to start taking TFWs ....

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 1:18 AM

Some details for the apologists:

Family of American 4-year-old released by Hamas hopes she can still live a good life
“It’s 50 days and having seen her parents murdered, but at least she is home safe,” Liz Naftali, Abigail's great-aunt, told the "TODAY" show Tuesday.
Nov. 28, 2023, 5:47 AM PST
By Patrick Smith

The family of a 4-year-old Israeli American girl who was released after seven weeks in Hamas' captivity have described her as a "miracle" and said they hope she can return to normality.

Abigail Mor Edan was freed from Gaza along with 16 other hostages Sunday, the third day of a tentative truce between Hamas and Israel that came after weeks of intense fighting across the Gaza Strip.

Abigail’s parents were killed at the Kfar Aza kibbutz during the Oct. 7 attack that triggered the current Israel-Hamas war. Her older brother and sister survived by hiding in a closet.

...Earlier this month, Naftali told NBC News' Lester Holt that Abigail was in her father's arms when he was shot by a Hamas gunman. The girl then “crawled out from under her father’s body … full of his blood,” she said....(bold mine)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lif-rcna126948

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 5:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Canada moving forward with sole-source contract to replace military surveillance planes
Government facing calls to launch open and fair competition for multibillion-dollar contract
Ashley Burke · CBC News · Posted: Nov 29, 2023 10:58 AM AST | Last Updated: 9 minutes ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pro...anes-1.7042751

Quote:
The federal government will award a multibillion-dollar, sole-sourced contract to Boeing to replace its aging military surveillance planes, Radio-Canada has learned.

I guess there is a God.........

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Canada moving forward with sole-source contract to replace military surveillance planes
Government facing calls to launch open and fair competition for multibillion-dollar contract
Ashley Burke · CBC News · Posted: Nov 29, 2023 10:58 AM AST | Last Updated: 9 minutes ago

Interesting. Boeings Canadian based supply chain is very Western Canada focused. With their own manufacturing in Manitoba and a large software/analytics team in Vancouver. There are also some component manufactures that supply Boeing in the Vancouver area. I guess a legacy of being closer to Seattle.

What is interesting is they are going to open up an innovation center in Montreal as part of the deal. They already have a software subsidiary in Montreal.

I guess a combination of playing to local politics and wanting to poach some of the skilled workers from the other players in the Montreal area. Good move on their part.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 5:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

I wonder how Modi will react...

Quote:
Prosecutors charge Indian man in attempted murder-for-hire plot against Sikh activist on US soil

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/29/polit...ist-on-us-soil

US federal prosecutors have charged an Indian national in an alleged murder-for-hire plot to try to assassinate a Sikh political activist in New York City, according to an indictment unsealed Wednesday.

Authorities say Nikhil Gupta, 52, paid an undercover officer he believed to be a hitman $100,000 to target the victim, a US citizen who is unnamed in the indictment but described as an attorney and vocal critic of the Indian government.

US officials familiar with the case told CNN the victim is Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, who runs a New York-based outfit called “Sikhs for Justice,” which has held referendums for a separate Khalistan state. The organization is considered unlawful in India, where its website is not accessible.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

There was always only one choice.

Last edited by VANRIDERFAN; Nov 29, 2023 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Maybe they need a program to fast track permanent residency for immigrants willing to join the Forces.
If not, they may need to start taking TFWs ....[/QUOTE]

The CAF has started taking in PRs who are within a year of qualifying for citizenship. The hope is that by the time the screening, basic training and their trades training is done, they'll have citizenship before actually employed. There's some big challenge with this.

1) Security clearances take a lot longer for those who don't have a long history in Canada. Especially, if they come from countries is concern.

2) Our training system is massively short personnel because line units are usually given priority. This limits throughput. The CAF is undergoing a transformation to prioritize training units.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 8:57 PM

Quote:
There was always only one choice.
As I said earlier, there was never much interest in the BBD proposal internally. And honestly, they need to understand that if they want a shot in this market, they need to at least have a demonstrator built and flying.

The next battle is going to be much worse than this one. AEW is on the RCAF wishlist. And Bombardier actually has an airplane that has actually sold in that market. The GlobalEye built on the Global airframe with Saab's Erieye radar. But the RCAF preference would be the Boeing E-7 Wedgetail built on the same 737 NG platform as the P-8 with Northrop Grumman's MESA Radar. The Wedgetail has much longer detection range, longer endurance and is capable of Air-to-air Refuelling. But the GlobalEye has a newer radar using Gallium Nitride transceivers. I expect this fight, when it comes, to be nasty.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 9:00 PM

Looks like Canadian news will still appear in Google searches, as the federal government and Google have agreed to terms with respect to the Online News Act (C-18):

Quote:
CTV News: Canadian government reaches C-18 online news deal with Google

The Canadian government has reached a deal with Google over the Online News Act that will see the tech giant pay $100 million annually to publishers, and continue to allow access to Canadian news content on its platform.

Canadian Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge announced the "historic development" regarding the implementation of Bill C-18 on Wednesday, after the tech giant had threatened to block news on its platform when the contentious new rules come into effect next month.

"We have found a path forward to answer Google's questions about their process and the Act. Google wanted certainty about the amount of compensation it would have to pay to Canadian news outlets," St-Onge said, backed by Liberal MPs in the House of Commons foyer.
Quote:
CBC News: Federal government reaches deal with Google on Online News Act
Google and the federal government have reached an agreement in their dispute over the Online News Act that would see Google continue to share Canadian news online in return for the company making annual payments to news companies in the range of $100 million.

Sources told Radio-Canada and CBC News earlier Wednesday that an agreement had been reached. Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge confirmed the news Wednesday afternoon.

"Many doubted that we would be successful, but I was confident we would find a way to address Google's concerns," she told reporters outside the House of Commons.

The federal government and Google agreed on the regulatory framework earlier this week, a government source familiar with the talks told Radio-Canada.

The federal government had estimated earlier this year that Google's compensation should amount to about $172 million. Google estimated the value at $100 million.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Angry denial.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 3:39 AM

Interesting situation brewing in South America. There was always a fear that Venezuela would invade Guyana. And now it looks like Venezuela is gearing up to do just that. And the worst of it is that Venezuela's military could pull it off and even hold off a Brazilian intervention. Only the US can stop them.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:00 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Interesting situation brewing in South America. There was always a fear that Venezuela would invade Guyana. And now it looks like Venezuela is gearing up to do just that. And the worst of it is that Venezuela's military could pull it off and even hold off a Brazilian intervention. Only the US can stop them.
Jeezus!

My Aunt actually lived in Caracas for a year or so in the 1980s when Venezuela was regarded as a decent country of South America and Caracas was seemingly modern/cosmopolitan. She came close to getting engaged to a local. The entire family came to Canada to visit my grandparents.

Ian Bremmer posted this on Twitter the other day. Look at Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and Guyana!

I have an online acquaintance from Colombia that told me around 4 million Venezuelans have fled to Colombia because the Venezuelan currency is so worthless you could wallpaper your house with it!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:09 AM

Guyana now has more oil per capita than any country on Earth. And unlike the oilsands, it's actually decently sweet and light. Venezuela has less oil and is sour and heavy, just like Alberta (which is why Alberta got so many Venezuelan petroleum engineers).

If this kicks off, I expect an American intervention. And I expect the US to ask Canada to participate. We have a large Guyanese diaspora in the GTA. The second largest I believe.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:29 AM
Great White Norf

Tn, the last freaking thing the world needs is another War. Ugh

Yes there was a noticeable amount of Venezuelans in Calgary. I never made the connection until now.

And yeah there must be tens of thousands? of Guyanese in Canada. GTA seems like it anyway.
One of the coolest people I met immediately post HS (19) was a Guyanese gal from Scarborough. We were friends but fooled around once I'll always remember Renu

Last edited by Wigs; Nov 30, 2023 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 7:29 AM

Quote:
For reference, given tonight's news, the RCAF of the 2030s will have, assuming no one else makes additional orders:

• The world's third largest fleet of F-35s

• The world's third largest fleet of A330 MRTT

• The world's second largest fleet of P-8s
https://twitter.com/NoahGairn/status...24463662465462

Given the news that the RCAF will be sole-sourcing P-8 over any Bombardier offering

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
https://twitter.com/NoahGairn/status...24463662465462

Given the news that the RCAF will be sole-sourcing P-8 over any Bombardier offering
It's optimistic to assume other customers aren't going to up their orders over the next ten years. Or that an incoming government won't cut the F-35 purchase. The last time the CPC was in power, they arrived that Canada only needed 65 F-35s. We're buying 88 because the LPC came up with some strange capability gap that they said required 88 jets to solve and more they are stuck with that number. An incoming CPC government won't be boxed in on that. All that said Noah is right overall, 2035 RCAF will actually have some decent capabilities. It's the force the Liberals have actually most invested in.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I am curious where all the voices are that made this all a partisan failing of Trudeau instead of recognizing that we (as a country) were being picked on. We need to start pressuring larger allies like the US to take a firmer stance with India.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada