HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Those are reasonable concerns; however, that woman seemed much more about prohibiting development and festivals altogether. Certainly, festivals should be good neighbors and creating a permitting system that allows them to do that is fine by me.
While that seems to be the case I can tell you the city itself is more interested in ensuring that these festivals pay their fair share of infrastructure costs. Personally the only problem I have is that with the explosive growth of festivals post-K we are putting a strain on our already limited resources. I want the festivals to continue and flourish, but at the same time they need to be reasonable and quit expecting the city to pony up additional resources without additional fees. So far as charging for anything else that occurs on Bayou St. John, I'm in no way for any type of usage fee or premium. I enjoy kayaking for free just fine!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:27 PM

Former Six Flags Site...

Industrial Development Board launches selection process for development of former Six Flags park

New Orleans' Industrial Development Board on Tuesday (Jan. 14) opened the 150-acre former Six Flags amusement park site in eastern New Orleans to proposals from developers, as city leaders prepare to select a new vision for the site...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._river_default

Not holding my breath on this one...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Legend View Post
While that seems to be the case I can tell you the city itself is more interested in ensuring that these festivals pay their fair share of infrastructure costs. Personally the only problem I have is that with the explosive growth of festivals post-K we are putting a strain on our already limited resources. I want the festivals to continue and flourish, but at the same time they need to be reasonable and quit expecting the city to pony up additional resources without additional fees. So far as charging for anything else that occurs on Bayou St. John, I'm in no way for any type of usage fee or premium. I enjoy kayaking for free just fine!
Agreed!

Heres a new project on Magazine:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:03 PM
life is good

Originally Posted by UPT View Post
If I'm looking at this report right, it appears RTA is one of the fastest growing public transportation systems in the country. Through September, total ridership was up 12.05%. Nationwide growth was only up 0.21%.

Great trend!
That is a great trend and it shows that not only is the population growing but that the percentage of people in this city who view it as a viable way to get to work etc is increasing. All around looks like Veolia is doing a great job!"

Good comments ya'll. Let's not forget there is the large bus service expansion coming this year which should further juice the numbers, the Rampart St extension opening next year and further densification downtown and all over the city. Exciting!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Agreed!

Heres a new project on Magazine:

Those are the plans for "Il Mercato"

"Also on the City Planning Commission docket on Tuesday was the Il Mercato reception hall redevelopment from Joel Dondis — founder of Sucre, La Petite Grocery and Grand Isle — at 1911 Magazine Street in the Lower Garden District.

The building was constructed as a market by the Works Progress Administration in 1931, but has been closed for years, and Dondis plans to renovate it for use as a reception hall. Most of the food will be prepared at his catering facilities off-site, he said Tuesday, and all parking will be provided by valet to a lot about two blocks away."

Also, looks like they have started working on the "Triangle" apartment building on Howard ave.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 11:28 PM

Mayor will be making an airport announcement tomorrow at 11 a.m., per e-mail from the city.

Says that the North Terminal was granted "no significant impact" by the EPA on 12/30.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 11:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Mayor will be making an airport announcement tomorrow at 11 a.m., per e-mail from the city.

Says that the North Terminal was granted "no significant impact" by the EPA on 12/30.
wonder what its about... construction starting or design picked out?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post

http://www.nola.gov/mayor/press-rele...port-advisory/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 4:44 PM
life is good

^^Yep. Be interesting to see if we get a top notch design.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
^^Yep. Be interesting to see if we get a top notch design.
from Mitch Landrieu's twitter account:

Certainly looks like an upgrade to me! Can't wait to see the rest of the renderings.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 5:57 PM

Very impressed.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:11 PM
life is good

Love it!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:16 PM

Wow...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 7:06 PM

New Terminal

Mayor Landrieu, Aviation Board unveil conceptual design for new world-class airport terminal complex

JANUARY 16, 2014
NEW ORLEANS, LA – Today, Mayor Mitch Landrieu joined the New Orleans Aviation Board (NOAB), regional elected officials, business and tourism leaders to announce a major milestone in the plans to build a brand new, world-class airport terminal that will serve as a crucial economic driver for the New Orleans metropolitan region and provide a lasting impression to visitors due to its modern design and open architectural concept...

http://www.nola.gov/mayor/press-rele...irport-design/

Renderings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiqq1...OhiNNSMcVwKMAQ

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 7:09 PM
TL;DR

Yep, pretty much what I expected after seeing that site plan. This is definitely world class. It shares more in common with the Beijing airport than anything in America. The tower has a cool Miami/Rio feel to it as well.

What I didn't expect was the heavy landscaping inside the arrival/departure loops... Looks like the designer is trying to create the feeling of arriving in the bayou, instead of some concrete suburban wasteland.

My only question is: can we afford this? Seems like a billion-dollar project, not a $600M one. Even other low-cost cities like Indianapolis had no problems exceeding $1B on new terminals.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 7:59 PM

I think 826 million is the pricetag right now, and I agree that the price will likely be higher once construction starts. Southwest Airlines is completely onboard with the new airport terminal, so that's a positive sign.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 8:24 PM

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 9:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yep, pretty much what I expected after seeing that site plan. This is definitely world class. It shares more in common with the Beijing airport than anything in America. The tower has a cool Miami/Rio feel to it as well.

What I didn't expect was the heavy landscaping inside the arrival/departure loops... Looks like the designer is trying to create the feeling of arriving in the bayou, instead of some concrete suburban wasteland.

My only question is: can we afford this? Seems like a billion-dollar project, not a $600M one. Even other low-cost cities like Indianapolis had no problems exceeding $1B on new terminals.

Your forgetting why this is actually so cheap compared to other airports. We dont have to spend anything on new runways. If that were the case this would be a 1.5 billion dollar airport! Thats why this is a much better idea than relocating to a whole new area. ALso you save cost in time and expenses of security by building in an area that doesnt need much screening for security reasons!

Good to see the revitialization of St Claude is spreading into neighboring Arabi in St Bernard Parish!!!

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Arab...240392581.html

ARABI, La. -- Drivers making their way down St. Claude Avenue might not see it yet, but changes are coming to St. Bernard Parish.
Some of it's starting inside what used to be an Arabi movie theater.
Glass artist Mitchell Gaudet is on the front line of Old Arabi's revitalization.
“Instead of gentrification, I see myself as an ratification. We're the first wave of ruining a neighborhood,” he said with a laugh.
Gaudet has done it before. In 1991, he started Studio Inferno in the Bywater neighborhood. As the neighborhood grew in popularity, property taxes ballooned from $3,000 to $15,000, so he started looking for something new.
He's converting the building into a fine art studio to display his glass work, and there's also plenty of room for studio space.
“It was kind of like the initial reception I got in the Bywater,” he said. “Very positive. Everybody's very excited. Arabi is very hungry for development.”

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 9:45 PM

It would be wonderful if the much fanticised light rail could be integrated within this design. If it were to ever be built in the future I would be afraid that it would look and function as an after thought.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
It would be wonderful if the much fanticised light rail could be integrated within this design. If it were to ever be built in the future I would be afraid that it would look and function as an after thought.
Agreed. I say incorporate the plan in now (which doesn't look like it's happening) or put the whole thing on the southwest side next to the traintracks and use the money saved from flyover ramps and parking garages to pay for some trains!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations