HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 2:34 AM

Waterpark III is complete sh!t. These developers really like to test the limits of economical.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 3:01 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
imo, Montreal is basically like Canada's Atlanta.... or as close as we can get to an Atlanta looking skyline.
what? How so?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 6:07 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
what? How so?
Yep, that's just a bizarre thing to say. Montreal was a dominant metropolis when Atlanta was still some hick town in the middle of nowhere. What's next, Vienna the Edmonton of Europe?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 2:28 PM
gettin' rich!

Did you guys realize Atlanta has 1 million more people than Montreal and the Worlds largest airport. It is also the financial capital of the US southeastern region with 30 million people there are as many people there as in all of Canada.

IMO Steveve was giving Montreal a compliment, no need to act like snobs, this is Canada and we have the same development timeline as The US.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 3:15 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Yep, that's just a bizarre thing to say. Montreal was a dominant metropolis when Atlanta was still some hick town in the middle of nowhere. What's next, Vienna the Edmonton of Europe?
Actually, I believe Atlanta was quite an important city back in the days, even when Montreal was a 'dominant Metropolis'

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 3:25 PM

alright, i need to reword it, "LOOK" wise, Montreal's skyline is as close as we're gonna get to Atlanta.... so exterior wise

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 9:05 PM
The good old days are now

These shots also show the approved (although the office buildings won't go up without tenants) and under construction buildings in red. The yellow line is the general height limit.

Images pulled from page 16 of the City of Montreal's proposed height limit revisions: http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/port...SION-9A-CR.PDF

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 10:51 PM

very well done.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 1:55 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
These shots also show the approved (although the office buildings won't go up without tenants) and under construction buildings in red. The yellow line is the general height limit.

Images pulled from page 16 of the City of Montreal's proposed height limit revisions: http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/port...SION-9A-CR.PDF
Wicked Graphics.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 6:10 PM
Registered User, Maybe

They really stretched the vertical there, it makes Montreal's tallest 5 look around the 900-1000ft range. Anyhow, hopefully those proposal's get built.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 11:47 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Actually, I believe Atlanta was quite an important city back in the days, even when Montreal was a 'dominant Metropolis'
It was important to the US south, but was not on the same level of Montreal at all. Montreal still has a far higher profile than Atlanta around the world. Atlanta is viewed as a provincial backwater despite its size.

Last edited by isaidso; Jun 27, 2011 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 11:57 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Did you guys realize Atlanta has 1 million more people than Montreal and the Worlds largest airport. It is also the financial capital of the US southeastern region with 30 million people there are as many people there as in all of Canada.

IMO Steveve was giving Montreal a compliment, no need to act like snobs, this is Canada and we have the same development timeline as The US.
Of course I'm aware of Atlanta's airport, it's population, and importance to the US southeast, but comparing Montreal to Atlanta is an insult to Montreal on a monumental scale. Montreal is one of this continents great cities and was a fitting host to the Summer Olympics in 1976. People around the world were floored when Atlanta were awarded them 20 years later; many people still consider it shocking. I'm utterly speechless that you're attempting to compare these 2 cities. HOLY CRAP!!@!!###@@

It has nothing to do with snobbery and everything to do with reality and history. I'm stunned that a Canadian knows so little about how prominent and powerful Montreal once was. Next you're going to tell me that Las Vegas is on the same level as Vienna because it has more people and more airport passengers????

Last edited by isaidso; Jun 27, 2011 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 12:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Depends on which days you're talking about. Atlanta was a small town until the 1880-1930 period. It only had a couple thousand inhabitants in the mid-1800s and other regional cities like New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah were much more important. In terms of history and development it's more like Calgary than Montreal.

I don't find the skylines of Atlanta and Montreal very similar either.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post

Oh Heavens no, the yellow arch is higher than Mount Royal!

That's madness!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 12:27 AM
gettin' rich!

I dont think that belittling atlanta is anyway to pump up Montreal. Firstly Steveve was comparing skylines, which should have been obvious, but still excited the proto typical Canadian snob response visa via the united states.

If you guys need a history lesson in the civil rights struggle to which Atlanta played a preeminent role, you can go to the Martin Luther King foundation and they can tell you all about the fundamental change they began in the United States bases right out of Atlanta.

Instead of living in the past live in a present, in which Atlanta has added 2 million people to there population in the past 13 years, has 2 or 3 times as many head offices as Montreal and seems to be attracting more each day.

Do you guys wanna live in the past or the present? Can you compare New York to London or Paris?

If Montreal doesn't want to handle the competion with up and coming cities, Toronto would gladly take that challenge here.

Bring on your Dubai's, Atlanta's, and Calgary's, the competion and comparison with the Young upstarts excites us, and does not breed the contempt I see here.

Don't worry guys we'll dig up Ur and Babaylon for you guys to play with.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 12:40 AM
I am the law!

Mississauga's skyline reminds me of Atlanta with the airport corporate centre standing in for Buckhead.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 1:40 AM

This thread is confusing as hell now.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 1:46 AM
gettin' rich!

Some confused a skyline comparison, with an ethno-cultural and historic comparison between Atlanta and Montreal. It was an honest mistake and I can see how that happens from time to time on Internet chat boards.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Instead of living in the past live in a present, in which Atlanta has added 2 million people to there population in the past 13 years, has 2 or 3 times as many head offices as Montreal and seems to be attracting more each day.
Looking at satellite view on Google Maps/Earth, you would never know that Atlanta has added 2 million people the past 13 years, or that its metro area at over 5 million is almost as populous as the GTA. To me it looks like a city of 2-3 million total, so I'm always taken aback at the real population figures.

Perhaps their CMA stretches even further out than I think, or the density is just disguised somehow, but it's pretty amazing how even a few km outside of their downtown, which in itself we all know is nowhere near as densely populated as Toronto's or Montreal's, most of the housing is wooded suburban area (much less dense than Toronto suburbs too, I'm talking giant lots with dozens of mature trees).

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 3:05 AM
gettin' rich!

I believe Atlanta has 5.3 million people, GTA has 6.1 or 6.2 and Toronto CMA is 5.5 million, we are just keeping pace with Atlanta at present.

Scary Part: I think Atlanta has more Fortune 500 corporations than Toronto.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada