HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 7:14 AM

Wow, I had no idea to the extent. Cannot wait to see the city in just 5-10 years.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 9:29 PM

Wachovia Tower rising, can be seen from Marshall Park now. NASCAR Office tower to the left behind the hotels.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 10:46 PM

Cool Has 210 Trade stopped?

I have been monitoring the progress on 210 Trade for a month or so. It seems to me that the vertical "growth" of this new addition to Charlotte's magnificent skyline may have stopped. Go to the 210 Trade website and look at their webcam. It appears to me that they have installed the air conditioning units on the roof. These would normally be placed on the roof of high rises. If this is indeed so, then the construction will have stopped with the 14th floor or so, far shy of the anticipated 53 floors. Could those of you from the Queen City check this out for me?

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGreatOne View Post
I have been monitoring the progress on 210 Trade for a month or so. It seems to me that the vertical "growth" of this new addition to Charlotte's magnificent skyline may have stopped. Go to the 210 Trade website and look at their webcam. It appears to me that they have installed the air conditioning units on the roof. These would normally be placed on the roof of high rises. If this is indeed so, then the construction will have stopped with the 14th floor or so, far shy of the anticipated 53 floors. Could those of you from the Queen City check this out for me?
That is probably for the hotel portion. The condo tower will start going vertical soon I hear. Probably in June or July.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 12:55 AM
Oak City

I think you may be confusing the different tower projects seen in the 210 Trade construction webcam, which is very understandable. Here is a screencap of the construction webcam this afternoon:

Here it is with the various towers labeled.

In the very back is the outline of the new Bank of America tower which will be 32 floors. Last I saw it a couple weeks ago, it was still about a 4 story hole in the ground. Directly in front of it is the Ritz-Carlton hotel building which will be 17 floors. It should still has a floor or two to go before it tops out. The block closer to the camera is occupied by the mixed use development known as Epicenter. This included the building closed to the camera, the 14 or so floor Aloft Hotel, which has topped out. To the right of it is the outline of the 53 floor 210 Trade. This project was held up for a couple months due to permit issues. The developer and city have pretty much worked it out and construction is scheduled to resume on the condo tower portion in June.

Here is a photo tI took from the opposite direction, showing the Bank of America hole in the ground and the Ritz-Carlton behind it:

Here is a rendering with Bank of America on the left, Ritz-Carlton on the right:

Here is an older rendering of 210 Trade. The Aloft Hotel was added to the project later, and is where the word "Epicenter" is located. The construction cam is located in the black glass tower on the right:

A newer rendering:

I hope this helps clarify things.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Based on what I've read over on UP, it has never restarted, but is scheduled to start back up within 30 days.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 8:05 PM

Epicenter progress

The Vue
Tower crane going up on Monday June 02

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 1:39 AM
Oak City

Thanks for the update. I see the first photo of Epicenter was taken during Speedweek, as the large banner advertisement is clearly visible.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 12:47 AM
BANNED

Wow!

Utterly and completely blows Nashville out of the water. Charlotte is 25 years ahead of Nashville! Atlanta is 50 years ahead.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 1:31 AM
Thread Killa'

Charlotte is not 25 years ahead of Nashville, and would love to have some of Nashville's older stock of buildings. Charlotte is undergoing a boom right now that Nashville is not, but that's not a slight against Nashville at all.

I've never been to Nashville, but I've always pictured it and Charlotte as basically the same size, with Nashville's downtown having a more lively scene based on the live music. Charlotte obviously has a stronger business climate, but honestly we're just now turning our downtown into a livable city.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillJames View Post
Charlotte is not 25 years ahead of Nashville, and would love to have some of Nashville's older stock of buildings. Charlotte is undergoing a boom right now that Nashville is not, but that's not a slight against Nashville at all.

I've never been to Nashville, but I've always pictured it and Charlotte as basically the same size, with Nashville's downtown having a more lively scene based on the live music. Charlotte obviously has a stronger business climate, but honestly we're just now turning our downtown into a livable city.
You have to forgive blueraider. He blows a lot of smoke.

Though they are about the same size, I'd say the Queen City is a step ahead of Nashville in terms of the scale of its' development and its' commitment to urbanizing. Nashville is going through quite the boom itself but our projects aren't nearly as tall and as exciting as some of Charlotte's. There is a great deal of civic pride here but not quite the same aggressive attitude towards comprehensive urbanization that Charlotte currently has.

Honestly, our downtown is just now becoming livable as well. Up until recently, it has been primarily commerce and tourist-driven entertainment. Instead, our midtown has been the lure for urban residents for a while. I'd gladly trade a few of our notable tourist traps for an awesome LRT line like LYNX down Broadway and West End Ave. You guys have a great deal to be proud of in Charlotte.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:04 PM
Closed account

Dang, Charlotte is on the move!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 10:17 PM
Always out of place...

I must admit, I have found development in general, and Charlotte's skyline in particular, to be intriguing. I always enjoy a drive down there when I get the chance to see how things are going. And I like what I see.

I remember reading somewhere, sometime back in the C of C's website about Charlotte's future plans, there was a proposed capping of the John Belk Freeway, so that there would be a greenbelt of sorts over top of it and in the city...while I like the idea of "green" in cities, I think it would be unfortunate if that plan ever got carried out, because driving along I-277, one gets a nice eyeful of the ever developing skyline (if you can enjoy it without some road-rage idiot on your tail trying to force you to go 100 mph). Has anybody heard of that plan, and (hopefully) know if the proposal has been dropped?
I don't think the link regarding the project is still on the C of C's website, but it is still online and working, and from what I can tell, it looks like a capping of the freeway could still happen. The site, for anybody interested, is http://www.charlotte2010.com/

Last edited by wkiehl101; Jun 25, 2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Need to clarify post and add details

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 10:28 PM

Cool

Could someone do me a favour? I have noticed over the past few days, (after having monitored the oxblue web cam), that 210 Trade construction may have resumed. However, this appears to be in a most unique way. Comparing several webcam images over the past days leads me to believe that the site is in the process of being disassembled! Look closely and see if you concur. This could be in preparation for further construction, however. Could those in the Queen City once again check this out for me?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 11:40 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Could someone do me a favour? I have noticed over the past few days, (after having monitored the oxblue web cam), that 210 Trade construction may have resumed. However, this appears to be in a most unique way. Comparing several webcam images over the past days leads me to believe that the site is in the process of being disassembled! Look closely and see if you concur. This could be in preparation for further construction, however. Could those in the Queen City once again check this out for me?
The future of the 210 Trade condo tower portion of the Epicenter development is in doubt. There has been a quite public battle between developers over the project. For an in depth look at the issues; Ghazi, Flaherty battle in court; contractors stuck with unpaid bills from the Charlotte Business Journal. Doug Smith (Charlotte Observer development writer) offers some commentary.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 2:36 PM

Unhappy

It seems to me that the once mighty Epicentre project has degenerated into a pissing contest between Ghazi on one side and Flaherty & Collins on the other. Meanwhile, nothing gets built.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 4:01 PM

^ Yeah the Epicentre seems to be a dream more then reality now!
Some of the other projects here are not looking as well either.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 7:29 PM

Cool

I knew that 300 S. Tryon was probably on hold and the Trump tower(s) were in doubt. I haven't heard of any other developments, though. Could someone tell me if The Vue has emerged from the ground. The last that I heard was that the construction crane was to have been installed the first week in June, but that was over three weeks ago.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 9:59 PM
Oak City

Quote:
I knew that 300 S. Tryon was probably on hold and the Trump tower(s) were in doubt. I haven't heard of any other developments, though. Could someone tell me if The Vue has emerged from the ground. The last that I heard was that the construction crane was to have been installed the first week in June, but that was over three weeks ago.
Yes, a crane is up and the Vue is officially above ground. I just took some photos of construction projects but I won't be able to post them until tomorrow. It started raining and I didn't get any of the Vue.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
Yes, a crane is up and the Vue is officially above ground. I just took some photos of construction projects but I won't be able to post them until tomorrow. It started raining and I didn't get any of the Vue.
The developer that is building the Vue was building a condo in Buckhead when their financing got pulled. They were on the 4th of 25 floors. What have the pre-sales been? Has anyone in Charlotte mentioned what happens if Wachovia gets bought? Do they keep building their HQ and condos?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast