HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 6:09 AM
E pluribus unum

For those that care, Downtown isn't confined to just the highrises in the Financial District, but I sense this thread going downhill fast.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
Thats interesting because from my experiece, there actually arent that many big box stores. Far outnumbered by other stores anyway. Maybe you visited the parts of LA County that arent really LA
Thinking back, you're right. But pretty much all cookie cutter chain stores. The same fast food places, pharmacies and clothing sores with the same floor plans and lifeless exteriors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Good for you! Though I don't know why you've been here 5 times if you hate it so much.
Unfortunately every time I go to California with friends they want to go see LA. I've tried to see new parts every time I go hoping to find something I like, with little success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Fortunately you're just flat wrong about "unimaginative buildings" and there are few "big box stores" in LA proper except for a few malls in the valley and I guess the beverly center.
As I said above, thinking back I needed to change that comment a bit. Although I was by the Beverly Center last time.

Quote:
As far as sprawl I could only find the Sierra Club's 1998 top 10 rankings for the most spawled major cities in the usa which in order are:

Atlanta; St. Louis; and Washington, D.C.;Cincinnati;Kansas City, Mo.; Denver; Seattle' Minneapolis-St. Paul; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.; and Chicago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the US Bureau of Census Data 2000 census:
"By 1990, Los Angeles was the most densely populated Urbanized Area in America. No other urban area provided so little land per resident."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know when the word sprawl is used on here it is usually meant to describe very low density settlement. Los Angeles as a whole though is still a huge sprawling piece of human development, by far dominated by medium to low density. Look at downtown Chicago compared to downtown LA. I know LA has its reasons for a relatively small downtown, but what I'm talking about is how LA is a sea of low rise buildings where as Chicago is 20 stories plus for as far as you can see down the streets. When your in LA you don't really have a sense of where you are because as far as you can see, its all quite similar. In Chicago you just have to look in the distance for the immense skyline.

I'm not form Chicago, and I'm not trying to be a Chicago fan-boy, its just the last major city I visited and I was quite impressed and it makes for an interesting comparison for me being in LA just a couple months before.

Quote:
Yep Los Angeles has crappy air pollution but that's more to do with weather patterns such as inversions that occur mainly western cities such as LA (the worst) Salt Lake City, Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas and the central valley cities of CA. Fortunately LA has some of the highest pollution standards in the country, but yes it still is the most polluted.
For sure I understand its a function of weather. Lots of cities have the pollution blow right off. I'm from a city that experiences bad inversions as well (Calgary) and I actually chose my location in the city based on avoiding the reek of pollution on those inverted winter days. If it gets much worse I may find myself leaving here one day.

EDIT:

I will say, before people think I have a complete blind hate of LA, I do absolute love the neighborhoods on the hills. The steeper the better. There are some amazing places up some amazing roads winding up the hills. And one thing I really hated about Chicago was how flat it was. I've always been more attracted to hilly cities (San Francisco and Lisbon are two of my favorites).

Last edited by hulkrogan; Feb 23, 2007 at 6:45 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 7:05 AM
E pluribus unum

As stupid as this sounds, for all the attractions within metro L.A., the city and its surrounding areas really aren't all that "tourist friendly." I can't stress this enough: It really helps to have a guide of some sort (someone familiar with the city) if you really want to experience Los Angeles beyond Hollywood and Disney Land.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 8:57 PM
Technoaddict

Getting back on topic. Great pictures!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 9:09 PM
Priest = Cura

Your pictures speak of why, as perilously close as I am to the manicured trees, clean streets, overall perception of less crime, and "family values" of Orange County, I will always proudly identify with L.A. (the city, county, and state-of-mind) first and foremost.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 11:41 AM
perfidus acutus

I like LA, but you have to admit it's not really well, if at all, planned. many ideal settings for Dirty Harry-style shoot-outs here in the foreground

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amel70 View Post
Liked LA before I lived there, but I had really only experienced west LA and the valley. After moving there I found it to have too much dirt, graffiti, traffic, homeless people and garbage. It's not just skid row. With the exception of West LA and the valley the city is gross, boring and depressing. Try taking the blue line from downtown to Long Beach, or experience East LA, South Central, etc. Even Burbank/Glendale seems to be stuck in the 50s and is downright depressing. I much prefer Laguna Beach, where I now reside. The pics and essay are superb, BTW.
With the exception of W LA and the valley? Now you live in Laguna Beach? You must be one boring individual.

But really, that's why I love LA. It's so big with so many different parts. Laguna Beach is to far from the action for me. If I ever move back I'd move to West Hollywood or Venice Beach. The pics are absolutely fantastic.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 9:15 PM

^
Laguna Beach is very white, its too many minorities in LA for his taste. As you stated thats says something about his personality, BORING.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 3:03 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordUnum View Post
Your pictures speak of why, as perilously close as I am to the manicured trees, clean streets, overall perception of less crime, and "family values" of Orange County, I will always proudly identify with L.A. (the city, county, and state-of-mind) first and foremost.

They're not his photos.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 3:10 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^You seem to have a HUGE issue with that.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 8:31 AM
them bones

^Because the OP hasn't given credit where credit is due. Dozens of high quality photos by probably dozens of guys who actually go out and take their own pictures.

It's really not that difficult to see why that's an issue.

Hmmm...I think I'll go see what kind of photos I can find of Barstow on-line and start a thread...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 8:36 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

As long as he doesn't pass them off as his own, then I find nothing wrong with it. He didn't say he took them. He said that they were from flickr. Again, he did not pass them off as his own photos.

BTW, when I 'lifted' your photos, I didn't pass them off as my own. I quoted you. I find nothing wrong with that either.

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Feb 25, 2007 at 8:50 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 8:44 AM
them bones

^Well there you go...some of us have a little appreciation for others works. There's no art in pillaging the internet for photos.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 8:53 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Oops, I mean't to say "his own" not "my own."

Well, since it's obviously a HUGE issue here I'll be sure to give credit where credit is due next time.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 10:09 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

#1 is by svanes
#2 is by xxjetlab
#3 is by j.dubb
#4 is by Saucy Suse
#5 is by Berezin the Bear
#6 is by SophieMuc
#7 is by thepyrokinetic
#15 is by Fire Monkey Fish
#18 is by Matt (mistergoleta)
#23 is by eecue

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Feb 25, 2007 at 10:27 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 10:26 AM

Great collection of pics! LA looks great in those pics. I liked the essay too.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 11:32 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
That's the famous Skid Row. Gentrification will soon take care of all that garbage.
But what about the trash on the street also ? Just kidding ok.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos