HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 4:36 PM

I see the proposal is out in the Chronicle Herald today (not posting pics or link due to paywall)

Looks good. Essentially a modular stadium with two covered grandstands (north and east sides) with amenities. Seats 8500, can add a 3rd grandstand in future if demand allows to expand to 13-15,000. Being modular, it is built offsite and assembled at the grounds in 8-12 weeks.
Cost $40 M.

Two things I didn't like. They appear to keep the ugly seacans on the south side (Sackville street across from the Gardens). Probably don't want permanent construction here in case of adding 3rd grandstand.
Secondly, they are replacing the grass with artificial turf. They spent a lot of time and money re-leveling and grassing the turf, and it seems in good condition. I like the natural grass, and there are few quality natural fields in town.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 4:42 PM

New render:

Full presentation here:
https://cdn-uploads.canpl.ca/app/upl...osal_final.pdf

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 4:49 PM

What I'm most happy is that there is no proposal for additional parking.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
What I'm most happy is that there is no proposal for additional parking.
Plenty of very close parking between the new QE 2 parkade, Cineplex and the Nova Center.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 6:31 PM

Is that a wooden frame? Looks great, infinitely better than what is currently there. I wish it was feasible to shift the entire project north to leave room to build permanent bleachers on the Sackville St. side if needed in the future. Do we really need a horse stable in such a prominent location (I know nothing of horses and their needs, or what the lancers bring to the community, but I am a football fan with an incredibly biased take, lol)

$40M seems very reasonable for the project and what it brings to the surrounding businesses. I wish they offered up some of the cost, but they are really trying to push the fact that it is a community venue, which is semi-true I suppose.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 6:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Lancers have been there for well over 100 years, and is a right-of-passage for the pampered daughters of the landed gentry and aristocracy of greater Haligon. It is ideally situated close to Young Avenue and the other lesser neighbourhoods of the deep south end.

I doubt the Lancers are going anywhere. They have right of first occupancy and are as deeply networked and connected with the power structure of the city as humanly possible.

Plus, everyone loves horses (except perhaps for soccer hooligans).........

BTW, I like the design of the stadium. The location is perfect.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Lancers have been there for well over 100 years, and is a right-of-passage for the pampered daughters of the landed gentry and aristocracy of greater Haligon. It is ideally situated close to Young Avenue and the other lesser neighbourhoods of the deep south end.

I doubt the Lancers are going anywhere. They have right of first occupancy and are as deeply networked and connected with the power structure of the city as humanly possible.

Plus, everyone loves horses (except perhaps for soccer hooligans).........

BTW, I like the design of the stadium. The location is perfect.
As the Uncle of one of these Horse Princess's I can concur. The Lancers OWN that piece of Halifax.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 8:37 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
As the Uncle of one of these Horse Princess's I can concur. The Lancers OWN that piece of Halifax.
Interesting that nothing has been said about the colonial holdover that represents private control over common land.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 9:17 PM

Love the design!

Here is a higher detail image:

More here:

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/wanderers-grounds

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 10:21 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Is that a wooden frame? Looks great, infinitely better than what is currently there. I wish it was feasible to shift the entire project north to leave room to build permanent bleachers on the Sackville St. side if needed in the future. Do we really need a horse stable in such a prominent location (I know nothing of horses and their needs, or what the lancers bring to the community, but I am a football fan with an incredibly biased take, lol)

$40M seems very reasonable for the project and what it brings to the surrounding businesses. I wish they offered up some of the cost, but they are really trying to push the fact that it is a community venue, which is semi-true I suppose.
Hope the wooden frame is redwood or western cedar.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 1:04 AM

Wrong location.
Having been to stadiums in Scotland,England and Wales, pro and amateur, I continue to be amazed that public money would be spent on what will be a privately controlled venue and with the primary customer being a 6th or 7th level team - I am being very generous. You will see better soccer games at the Mainland Common. In the UK i never went to a reserve team game. If a child has the talent he will be spotted well before the age of 10. The profession has long since moved on from muddy pitches and part-time game officials. Not sure why the folks in Hamilton are so heavily involved in the Wanderers.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 1:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Secondly, they are replacing the grass with artificial turf. They spent a lot of time and money re-leveling and grassing the turf, and it seems in good condition. I like the natural grass, and there are few quality natural fields in town.
I guess the artificial turf is so that it can also host events like concerts where attendees walk around on the field?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 2:06 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wonder about the possibility of just doing away with that portion of Sackville Street or making it transit and pedestrian only, and basically a part of the Commons again. It dead ends at Summer Street.

Putting the stands close to the Public Gardens wouldn't be a bad thing from a shadow perspective since the stadium would be to the north.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I see the proposal is out in the Chronicle
The reason is so the community can use it for amateur sports and events like concerts. Right now you can't have that because it has to be in good condition for Wanderers games.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Plenty of very close parking between the new QE 2 parkade, Cineplex and the Nova Center.
Not a fan of depending upon hospital parking to support a sports field.

Maybe it won't matter as Halifax will have amazing transit by the time this gets built...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 5:36 AM

According to Saltwire https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-ca...ted-100892174/ They are paying about about $2800 per game to rent the field. At that rate it would take them 250 years to pay off the $700,000 the city paid to upgrade the field before they took "possession". They are going to have to up their game to pay for a $40 million dollar stadium in 30 years! Did not have any tears when he said his sons had to leave the penninsula to play. Field was supposed to be available for public use. Didn't happen - who dropped the ball? Inept city or Wanderers pulling the wool. Should have been foreseeable.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insigne View Post
Field was supposed to be available for public use. Didn't happen - who dropped the ball? Inept city or Wanderers pulling the wool. Should have been foreseeable.
How is it not available for public use? It's on the Halifax website, ready to be booked like just any other sports field in the city

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 12:52 PM

That is what I thought too but if you watch the presentation it is seldom if ever available due to need to keep the field pristine for the Wanderer's games. Thus the proposal for artificial turf.

Last edited by Insigne; Sep 15, 2023 at 1:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 4:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insigne View Post
They are paying about about $2800 per game to rent the field. At that rate it would take them 250 years to pay off the $700,000 the city paid to upgrade the field before they took "possession".
~0 HRM projects have 100% cost recovery from user fees.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 5:34 PM

HRM Major Capital projects :
Police HQ : $80+ million
Fast ferry : $100 million
Hammond Plains Fire HQ : $40 million
Electric Bus garage : $100 million
Halifax Forum : $100+ million
Plus roads,sidewalks etc

Why is the Hamilton sports group, including the Forge soccer club, calling the shots for the proposed stadium ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth