HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:29 PM

We got our Wheely-Bins yesterday. Man these things are huge! It'll take me a month to fill it up!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:31 PM
HVAC guru

^^ LOL. So, what because I once lived in Calgary, but don't anymore I am not allowed to comment on things going no there ? If anyone has an issue having civil discourse, it is you.

So now not heaping praise on your town = trolling ? That's prety sad.

I got a baggie of BC bud I'd be glad to share if you need help lowering your blood pressure.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:55 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^^ LOL. So, what because I once lived in Calgary, but don't anymore I am not allowed to comment on things going no there ? If anyone has an issue having civil discourse, it is you.

So now not heaping praise on your town = trolling ? That's prety sad.

I got a baggie of BC bud I'd be glad to share if you need help lowering your blood pressure.
Busy server swallowed my response. Here's a lesson on trolling:

1. I disagree with you, and here's why - not trolling.

2. Hey, here's something weird, let's discuss - not trolling.

3. Y'know, you don't need to take anything that isn't fawning praise of your city as some sort of direct insult. You need some thicker skin.- trolling.

Where did I see some sort of insult, precisely? I point out positive things that I observed about Alberta's recycling programs in the 1980s and I'm getting upset about a lack of fawning praise?

Seriously dude, you trot out this tired canard every single time you get involved in any discussion about Calgary. You've been called on it by many people, and it's getting really annoying. Comment on Calgary all you want, and (gasp!) by all means point out its shortcomings. But the minute someone says something positive about Calgary, and your first response is Y'know, you don't need to take anything that isn't fawning praise of your city as some sort of direct insult. You need some thicker skin."?

I'll call you on your BS every time.

The funnier part of course is that I was mentioning Alberta's recycling. But don't let it stop you, it never has before.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 5:02 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Why are Edmonton and Vancouver forumers so fascinated by this thread?
I assume this was rhetorical.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 5:08 PM
HVAC guru

Now you're just being rude and combatative. I'd love to carry this on, it's pretty comical to watch you try & defend your ridiculous and self-riteous assertions and to make groundless accusations but instead I think I will take the high road and just add you to my ignore list.

Buh-bye, fellow troll.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 5:09 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
And maybe you need to stop commenting in Calgary-named threads, if you're incapable of having civil discourse.

No, I will not calm down when habitual trolls come in and try to hijack a thread.

Speaking of Calgary's recycling program (I know, the nerve of talking about the thread subject) - is the city ever going to implement bag limits for garbage? I know most other places have done something similar to "encourage compliance", so to speak.
I hope not. It won't work IMHO.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 5:16 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I hope not. It won't work IMHO.
For Calgary, or you're just not a fan of the idea in general? Seems like just about everywhere went through those discussions over the past 10-20 years, and many places implemented it - how well has it worked?

I know I'd be looking forward to making a tidy profit off my extra tags as we average only about one bag a week as it is, and that's before recycling anything...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 5:37 PM

We have a bag limit of 5 bags in my recollection. If we were to ever implement organics pick up as well, I could see tag a bag with two bags a week as the standard level. It possibly would help defray the cost of the organics program.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
We have a bag limit of 5 bags in my recollection. If we were to ever implement organics pick up as well, I could see tag a bag with two bags a week as the standard level. It possibly would help defray the cost of the organics program.
Calgary city council tossed out the idea of a bag limit for at least a year until after the curbside recycling is in effect from what I recall (and what cbc has posted) during the budget talks in late 2008.

That said, we've had a bag limit in Cochrane for over a decade now, recently dropped from 3 to 2 bags (or equivalent sized garbage cans), with extra bags available for $3 each. We still have no curbside pickup for recyclig, though I suspect theres a chance it may be proposed here before the next election as our current recycling depot which has been in operation for only a few years now is currently running at 5 times its design capacity so its either build new depots or do curbside, which I suspect may be easier to get in on now that Calgary is doing it.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 6:11 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
For Calgary, or you're just not a fan of the idea in general? Seems like just about everywhere went through those discussions over the past 10-20 years, and many places implemented it - how well has it worked?

I know I'd be looking forward to making a tidy profit off my extra tags as we average only about one bag a week as it is, and that's before recycling anything...
I'm just not a fan in general. It could lead to either people leaving their extra bags on their neighbor's driveway, or dumping it into the nearest dumpster at the local store. Tags would just lead people to either sell theirs to neighbors or give them away. I don't see how the net result would result in any less garbage going into the landfills so al you end up with is more bureaucracy (sp?) and higherst cost for no gain.

Or people would just shift from regular sized garbage bags to oversized ones like I use from Costco.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 7:13 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
I keep hearing that it's being rolled out by quadrant. Maybe it's alphabetical WITHIN quadrants, but certainly not across the entire city.
Yeah, I only looked at the NW, but it was definitely completely alphabetical.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Calgary's recycling program (I know, the nerve of talking about the thread subject)
Really Freeweed? That's sure rich coming from you.

(Not intended as a flame. I'm just poking fun. Although you are consistently way off topic in the Calgary Construction Thread, at least you've admitted to it in the past. You're usually a voice of reason, so I often appreciate your off-topicness)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 8:07 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Hey, self-effacing humour is still funny, ain't it?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 10:37 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Regarding curbside recycling programs in the past:

We discussed it briefly in one of my college classes (I can't remember why it came up, as the class had nothing to do with the topic), but some of the early programs were HUGE money-losing endevors - not that recycling necessarily need to be a money making venture - but they were also quite limited in effectiveness as there was no market for the collected goods.

After hearing the stats I heard (I can't remember what they were any more), I was glad that Calgary did not have a curbside pickup system at the time, as programs back in the (early?) 90s were generally not much more than green-washing wastefulness.

I'm glad to see that recycling has become a more profitable venture. I do recycle some things, but I don't have space to store much recycling until such time as I can take it all to a depot. I know that my household will start recycling a lot more materials when the blue bin program starts. Right now, I really only do milk jugs - and pop bottles of course.

Of course, many people forget about the other 2 "R's" out of the three Rs, and unfortunately, they are the most important ones. "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" is listed in that order for a reason - its a list starting from most important to least important. It ticks me off when products are grossly overpackaged, and unfortunately, that's more often than not.

Frankly, I can do a lot more in all three areas then I currently do.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Why are Edmonton and Vancouver forumers so fascinated by this thread?
umm because I used to live in Calgary most of my life, therefore I still have an interest of what goes on in the city.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 6:54 PM

Quote:
I assume this was rhetorical.
It garnered a response...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 8:23 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
umm because I used to live in Calgary most of my life, therefore I still have an interest of what goes on in the city.
Yeah, and didn't you post in a Vancouver thread about how THRILLED you were to escape Calgary?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 2:59 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Yeah, and didn't you post in a Vancouver thread about how THRILLED you were to escape Calgary?
It must have been the poor recycling program. And the fact that Calgary doesn't dump enough raw sewage into the ocean for his tastes. *cymbal crash*

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 8:27 PM

Quote:
yikes, you pay way too close attention to my posts. That's creepy. Yes I am happy I don't live in Calgary but that doesn't mean I don't have an interest or I'm curious still! Why do you care so much anyway? I wasn't bringing anything negative to the discussion or trying to start anything. Sorry, I'll check the rules on where I can and cannot post from now on. Sheesh.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 8:28 PM

Quote:
It must have been the poor recycling program. And the fact that Calgary doesn't dump enough raw sewage into the ocean for his tastes. *cymbal crash*
yup that's it. *sigh*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy