HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
Poster over on A.net said an internal memo at Envoy has them creating a maintenance base for the E175 at AUS. Has anyone else heard this? Also does anyone know if a new hanger will be built or if an existing one refurbished for the work or will the work be done on the ramp. Another sign AA is planting deeper roots at AUS.
I would hope for the mechanic's sake that a hangar would be built for part storage and to keep the aircraft and mechanic out of the elements. If the hangar is coming I would assume that we likely won't be seeing AA E175 ops leaving Austin anytime soon. Speaking of A.net, the guys and gals over there seems to be discussing the prospect of AUS transitioning to Bravo airspace, or even an AUS/SAT Bravo metro. Seeing AUS become Bravo airspace would be very cool, but also probably far fetched.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:48 PM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I would hope for the mechanic's sake that a hangar would be built for part storage and to keep the aircraft and mechanic out of the elements. If the hangar is coming I would assume that we likely won't be seeing AA E175 ops leaving Austin anytime soon. Speaking of A.net, the guys and gals over there seems to be discussing the prospect of AUS transitioning to Bravo airspace, or even an AUS/SAT Bravo metro. Seeing AUS become Bravo airspace would be very cool, but also probably far fetched.
I can confirm that Bravo airspace, while highly desired among controllers, is not in the cards even with the second concourse. We simply don't have the IFR numbers at AUS to qualify for it.

Combining SAT and AUS tracons into a central Texas tracon is also far fetched, at least in the near term. That would require a lot of negotiations between the FAA and NATCA.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCZERO View Post
I can confirm that Bravo airspace, while highly desired among controllers, is not in the cards even with the second concourse. We simply don't have the IFR numbers at AUS to qualify for it.

Combining SAT and AUS tracons into a central Texas tracon is also far fetched, at least in the near term. That would require a lot of negotiations between the FAA and NATCA.
Thanks for your input. I figured the Bravo wouldn’t happen for a multitude of reasons. Do you know anything about a mx hangar being built for Envoy or any other airline that you can disclose? I believe Allegiant is making Austin a base as well so they might be considering a hangar. Allegiant is making my home airport of ATW a base too and they are moving into a hangar here.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I figured the Bravo wouldn’t happen for a multitude of reasons. Do you know anything about a mx hangar being built for Envoy or any other airline that you can disclose? I believe Allegiant is making Austin a base as well so they might be considering a hangar. Allegiant is making my home airport of ATW a base too and they are moving into a hangar here.
The ALP for this airport on opening day had hangar space for American on the east side of the Maintenance Ramp. Once updated the hangar disappeared.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
The ALP for this airport on opening day had hangar space for American on the east side of the Maintenance Ramp. Once updated the hangar disappeared.
Possible a hangar could go there, if that is the maintenance ramp I am thinking of it will be right in the middle of the new terminal. There is plenty of space to build a hangar on Charlie south of the South Terminal. AUS is lucky it has a lot of open space to grow, unlike SAT.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 12:02 AM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
I haven't heard anything about a maintenance hanger and I have no idea where they would put one. There are no construction crews that I can see from the tower that would give it away.

Allegiant making us a base just means they will park 3 aircraft overnight on the mx ramp. At least, that's how I understand it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 12:07 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by llintner View Post
Monday saw 35,298 departing passengers. Previous record set on 11/4/2019 was 31,912 departing passengers.
Additionally, there were 30,010 passengers on October 8, 2021, on the Friday of the 2nd weekend of ACL Fest.

https://www.kvue.com/article/traffic...d-09a8076a9958

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 1:12 AM

Quote:
I haven't heard anything about a maintenance hanger and I have no idea where they would put one. There are no construction crews that I can see from the tower that would give it away.

Allegiant making us a base just means they will park 3 aircraft overnight on the mx ramp. At least, that's how I understand it.
Alright, thanks again for the info!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 9:24 AM
Meh

F1 race cargo related. This was on Monday.

https://www.facebook.com/AustinAirpo...80033022046500

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 1:10 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

That was a photo from October 25...not this past Monday (Nov. 1).

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 1:40 AM
Meh

I thought that was odd timing with the F1 race. What threw me off was that they did say Monday, which November 1st did fall on. I just wasn't paying attention. Late night postings equals

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 4:25 PM

Two articles from today that discuss AA's growth at AUS.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...in-new-routes/

https://simpleflying.com/american-ai...austin-growth/

Airport Admin. needs to get going on the new concourse yesterday.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 7:30 PM
Member since 2001

^^^The 3-gate extension to the BJT will occur prior to commencing construction on the satellite concourse. At least that is what was reported recently.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
^^^The 3-gate extension to the BJT will occur prior to commencing construction on the satellite concourse. At least that is what was reported recently.
I know. That and the hardstand op's have to be completed in order to provide Allegiant and Frontier an alternative for the demo of the ST. Once the hardstand op's are running, I'd be full steam ahead on the new concourse build. Get the lawyers involved, settle the leasing dispute and start construction.

It's wishful thinking and will never happen though. I think 2027 is when they will break ground on the new concourse with a 2030-31 opening.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I know. That and the hardstand op's have to be completed in order to provide Allegiant and Frontier an alternative for the demo of the ST. Once the hardstand op's are running, I'd be full steam ahead on the new concourse build. Get the lawyers involved, settle the leasing dispute and start construction.

It's wishful thinking and will never happen though. I think 2027 is when they will break ground on the new concourse with a 2030-31 opening.
OUCH.... that's waayyy too long. We are going to experience pain if that's the case.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 11:30 PM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
OUCH.... that's waayyy too long. We are going to experience pain if that's the case.
We are already experiencing the pain. It's a daily occurrence now with both AAL and SWA where there is almost always at least one plane waiting for a gate to open up.

And now with AAL adding a few more over the next few months and SWA boosting their departures by 20 per day in March?? I hope all those passengers like being delayed on their plane...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
We are already experiencing the pain. It's a daily occurrence now with both AAL and SWA where there is almost always at least one plane waiting for a gate to open up.

And now with AAL adding a few more over the next few months and SWA boosting their departures by 20 per day in March?? I hope all those passengers like being delayed on their plane...
I'd be ecstatic to be proven wrong on timeframes but things tend to move at a snails pace at the airport. According to the AEDP power point presented to the Airport Advisory Commission, hardstand op's out of gate 13 are scheduled to begin this quarter. Time will tell as the planes wait for an open gate.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=363404

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 4:21 PM

American Airlines will break ground on a new 15,000+ square foot Admirals Club at AUS.

https://simpleflying.com/american-admirals-club-austin/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
American Airlines will break ground on a new 15,000+ square foot Admirals Club at AUS.

https://simpleflying.com/american-admirals-club-austin/
"The new lounge will be located near Gate 14. The current Admirals Club at AUS is located near Gate 22. Most of American’s departures leave from gates numbered in the 20s. It will not be a long walk and it is all in the same terminal, making it easy for customers to visit the new space before boarding their flight."

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx-adam View Post
"The new lounge will be located near Gate 14. The current Admirals Club at AUS is located near Gate 22. Most of American’s departures leave from gates numbered in the 20s. It will not be a long walk and it is all in the same terminal, making it easy for customers to visit the new space before boarding their flight."
....but it's still a little closer to the international gates with the
few AA int'l destinations and their BA codeshare partner. Add to that the new codeshare partnership with Alaska Airways who has a significant (Boise, Los Angeles, Portland (OR), San Diego, San Francisco,San Jose (CA), Seattle and Palm Springs ) west coast presence in Austin. Finally the American and jetBlue. The “Northeast Alliance” partnership lets the airlines start codesharing on each other’s flights in the Northeastern U.S., providing better connectivity at major airports like Boston (BOS) and New York-JFK and Newark,

For American, Austin is the largest non hub/focus city. In the above mentioned article "American expands in Austin once again, adds 2 new routes, more flights" the author ( Zach Griff) stated " It might not be too much longer until Austin officially becomes a focus city for American Airlines. "

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin