HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 2:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This is too cute. Thanks, TO! :-)

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I didn't ask why Canadians don't pay attention to their own stuff like Italians do.

My point when I brought up Italians is that they don't pretend or claim to be hyper-organized and orderly when they actually aren't.

The thing about Canadians is that there is an obvious discomfort and denial when it comes to the proximity ("cultural") with the U.S. that comes out anytime this topic is discussed.

You don't get that nearly as much when you discuss with Americans, Italians, French or Russians about how their nationalities tend to be violent, disorganized, arrogant or boorish (respectively).
The folks cheering on the raptors don't even lend a second thought to any of this. I don't think you realize how absurd you sound.

Seriously, people enjoy the what they enjoy. Your obsession with dissecting every topic on this forum into some commentary on Quebec exceptionalism or the Canadian national psychology is the real pathology here. I suggest getting a life (I don't believe any of your anecdotes, as dull as they are, are real).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
I don't think you realize how absurd you sound.

Seriously, people enjoy the what they enjoy. Your obsession with dissecting every topic on this forum into some commentary on Quebec exceptionalism or the Canadian national psychology is the real pathology here. I suggest getting a life (I don't believe any of your anecdotes, as dull as they are, are real).
Thanks for the advice.

All of my anecdotes are true. Anyone who has spent 4-5 decades on the planet as I have and pays attention to the people and world around them is going to have plenty of anecdotes.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
The folks cheering on the raptors don't even lend a second thought to any of this..
Oh, I know they don't. That's kinda part of my point.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If the average price is $200+ then there will be empty seats, because that all but rules out the casual fan and there just aren't that many others left to buy all the tickets. But I guess having empty seats at preseason games is normal... Winnipeg will be no exception in that regard.
Further details I heard on the radio - there will be only 4 sections in the stadium (4 upper deck corners) that will be $75 so that's around 1000 tickets. Next cheapest price will be $140. The most expensive tickets will be $375. These prices are not far off from a regular season NFL game or a Grey Cup game.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 11:51 AM

I'm sure everyone knows this already, but going into the final round of the Canadian Open today there are 3 Canadians in the top 10 and one, Adam Hadwin, is T4 but only one stroke back. The last Canadian to win the Canadian Open was Pat Fletcher in 1954.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 11:36 PM

Can Mike Soroka be a rookie Cy Young candidate?
Chase Irle sportstalkatl.com May 16, 2019

It’s barely mid-May, and the Braves top pitching prospect has already emerged as an early candidate for the Cy Young award – quite a turnaround considering two months ago we didn’t even know if Soroka was going to pitch this season. Well, he is, and he’s already making light work of the competition.

Through six starts, the new Ace of the Braves already has a WAR of 1.6. His ERA is a minuscule 0.98, and his WHIP is not much higher at 1.01. Soroka has yet to allow more than one earned run this entire season; which is even more incredible when taking into account that he surrendered a run in the first inning of his first three outings. In his last three starts, he’s thrown 20 innings allowing just a single earned run. These are eye-popping numbers from a 21-year-old rookie, and while he won’t finish the year with a sub-one ERA, he does have the wherewithal to stick around in the NL Cy Young race for the whole season.

Beyond the numbers, Soroka has the mental makeup of a pitcher who can do this every time he toes the rubber. The Braves had no qualms sending him out to make his debut in June of last year when he was only 20 years old. All Soroka did was quietly toss six innings of one-run ball in a win over the division rival Mets. The word around this kid is that nothing phases him, and it’s pretty evident when looking at the speed bumps he has already faced.

A few starts after his masterful MLB debut, Soroka was shut down for the entire regular season with shoulder inflammation. No surgery was necessary, but he was still forced to watch the Braves magical playoff run from the couch. Then, before he even made his first appearance in spring training, a similar shoulder issue popped up. Soroka was forced to miss spring training and a large chunk of the first month of this season.

Finally, he returned on April 18th against the Arizona Diamondbacks. The snakes greeted him with a couple of base hits in the first inning and scored a run. That has to have a rookie pitcher, who has not made a major league start in ten months, thinking negatively, right? Wrong. Soroka took a deep breath and did what he does – force soft contact. He got out of the inning with minimal damage and pitched the next four innings scoreless.

Soroka’s repertoire revolves around his handy dandy sinker. He’s throwing it 48% of the time – up nearly 10% from last year – according to FanGraphs. That pitch is made for hitters to pound baseballs into the ground, and it’s what gets Soroka out of the majority of his jams – like the one last night in the third inning versus the Cardinals with the bases loaded and only one out. Even if it isn’t desperation time, Soroka has no problem sitting there all day and tossing sinkers. It’s the primary reason as to why he’s in the top 10% of the league in barreled balls and top 6% in exit velocity allowed.

What Soroka has that most sinkerballers don’t is 96 in his back pocket. He doesn’t often go to his straight four-seam fastball, but it’s an effective pitch for him that he can paint the corners with. Soroka pairs those pitches with a slider (his only breaking pitch) and a changeup that he throws less than 10% of the time. The movement on all of his pitches, even his fastball, is admirable, but the Canadian native wouldn’t be the pitcher he was without tip-top control.

Mike Soroka hasn’t even been at his best so far this year. It’s almost ludicrous to say because he’s been outstanding, but it’s true. Another staple of Soroka’s game is his pristine ability to throw strikes and avoid walks. Throughout his entire minor league career and last year in the majors, he’s never recorded a BB/9 innings of more than 2.5. So far in 2019, it’s at 3.4 per nine innings, and he’s somehow managed to hit six batters in six starts. Soroka’s been much wilder then his track record suggests, and I would expect those numbers to only improve as the season goes on.

Here’s a little history lesson for you: Since 1913, when the MLB officially started keeping earned runs, Soroka is the only pitcher to allow one earned run or less in eight of his first ten major league starts. Yesterday, he made himself the only one to do it in nine out of his first eleven starts – breaking his own record. You can say he’s too young, a rookie won’t ever win the Cy Young again (It’s only happened once, Fernando Valenzuela, 1981), or it’s too early – those are all valid points. They are also obstacles that aren’t going to slow down Soroka. This kid is as cool as they come, and when you have his tool kit, why wouldn’t you be?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 1:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Thank the Raptors and the Edge for 'basketball boom' in N.L., coaches say

Quote:

That effect is obvious at a high school gym in St. John's, where the 2021 Canada Games under-15 girls' team scrimmaged against the boys' team Wednesday night.

"I really like the Raptors, and they've been doing really good so far," said Brooke Le Dévéhat, 14, who started playing basketball about four years ago.

For Jesse Buckle, it's the Raptors' competitors — and the local favourites — who inspire him.

"Big Edge fan, big Warriors fan," he said with a laugh, when asked if he's been following the Raptors.

But the courts in Newfoundland and Labrador weren't always filled with kids, according to Scott Noftall, the owner of Next Level Basketball Training.

"The only way to describe it is a basketball boom," Noftall said.

In five years, he's seen enrolment in his training programs rise substantially — and can pinpoint exactly why.

"You have a triple threat. You had the St. John's Edge factor and Carl English — obviously huge," he said.

"And then you have the Toronto Raptors, which has just taken the country over right now."

The Raptors play in Game 6 of the NBA finals Thursday night in Oakland, against the reigning champions, the Golden State Warriors.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...m-nl-1.5173231

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The Raptors I can see, but I'm not sure U2's guitarist should get any credit.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 10:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Nice!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:29 AM

What a fantastic come-from-behind sports Win!

The team were underdogs for decades but a classy group of Canadians with high sportsmanship can now celebrate a Pro League Championship!

... probably the last Pro Sports League win by Canadian athletes in a North American Pro league this year
Bravo !!!

...and Saskatchewan played a major part in the achievement...

Here is the list of the Top 10 Saskatchewan players currently in the league:

..and now Brayden Schenn, Jaden Schwartz and Tyler Bozakthey are Champions!

..and will be bringing the Cup back home to Saskatchewan this Summer.

St Louis celebrated the Sasky boys in their main daily newspaper for the State of Missouri.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...fc242270a.html

Quote:
The Sasky Boys: With three Blues from Saskatchewan, team is a big deal north of the border

“They absolutely are,” said Rod Pederson, a Saskatchewan author and broadcaster. “Surfing everyone’s social media, if they’re not cheering for the Blues, they’re trying to get their friends cheering. There’s a groundswell of support for them in this part of the world.”

Last edited by SaskScraper; Jun 14, 2019 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 1:31 AM

Canadian women's 7s lock up spot at 2020 Olympics
Team competing at final World Seven Series event in Biarritz, France
CBC Sports Jun 15, 2019

The Canadian women's rugby sevens team has secured a spot at the 2020 Olympic Games after a 27-10 win over Ireland on Saturday in Biarritz, France.

Down 10-0 early against the Irish, the Canadians roared back with five unanswered tries — two from Bianca Farella, two from Kaili Lukan, and one from Brittany Benn.

The win means Canada will not finish outside the top four of the World Series Sevens standings, and automatically qualify for the Tokyo Olympic Games.

Earlier on Saturday, the Canadians scored a 22-19 win over Spain.

Early tries from Ghislaine Landry, Benn, and Farella gave Canada a lead it would not relinquish, despite a resilient Spanish effort. Breanne Nicholas added a second half try to seal the win for the Canadians.

Canada finished second in its pool after falling 27-14 to Australia in the final preliminary match and next plays Sunday in the Cup quarter-finals at 5:44 a.m. ET against France.

The Canadians looked to make it three wins when Farella scored an early try against Australia. But the Aussies powered back thanks to three tries from Charlotte Caslick and two from Evania Pelite.

Substitute Charity Williams had Canada's other try.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 2:17 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...m-nl-1.5173231
In Nova Scotia the path was a little different. There was a significant rise in interest all throughout the 1970s and 80. It was fuelled by university basketball and hosting the Final 8 so many times. Every junior/high school had a basketball team and basketball hoops in the driveway were not an unfamiliar sight. It culminated in the arrival of professional basketball in 1991 (Halifax Windjammers) and later teams in Cape Breton. At this point basketball was already a big sport. The subsequent arrival of the Raptors in Toronto (1995) kept interest growing with the last few Raptors' seasons giving the sport a big jolt.

I was not surprised in the slightest that Halifax had one of the first Raptors' viewing parties outside the GTA. People like to think that the Raptors are responsible for basketball's status nationally. For many parts of Canada that's probably true but Halifax has been a basketball town for decades. It's more accurate to say that in Nova Scotia the Raptors took an already popular sport to a new high.

Last edited by isaidso; Jun 16, 2019 at 2:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:40 PM

The Raps aren't the only good sports story for Canadians to follow

Plenty of history ahead for Canadian wunderkind Brooke Henderson
Adam Stanley sportsnet.ca June 16, 2019

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The only person who smelled of champagne more than Brooke Henderson Sunday evening was her father, Dave.

On Father’s Day, Henderson, the 21-year-old wunderkind, captured her ninth LPGA Tour title. It’s the most ever by a Canadian on either the LPGA or PGA Tours, and she made history. But history, is, well, just getting started.

Dave Henderson, who played golf himself at a decent level in Smiths Falls, Ont. but spent his life as a school teacher, has been honing Brooke’s swing since she was able to first follow sister Brittany (now her caddie) to the nine-hole course near their summer cottage, about 90 minutes southwest of Ottawa, or to their local course in Smiths Falls.

Brooke, as a youngster, would chase after golf balls thinking that the first person to get to the ball in the hole was a winner. Brittany and Dave would look away and Brooke would be running full-tilt to get her ball in the hole. She’d then stand with her hands on her hips if she hit her ball off-line by a couple yards.

Now he’s seen his youngest daughter become the winningest male or female Canadian golfer on the biggest tours in the world.

“It was fantastic,” said Dave, the remnants of a Californian rosé brut still on his shirt. “Brooke at every level has won tournaments. She was No. 1 amateur. To see that growth all those years, well, (golf) is a process-oriented thing, and we’re always looking at the next thing, but we’re very proud of Brooke.”

Sunday in Grand Rapids, Dave was doing his usual routine of following Brooke ahead of everyone else. He was a math guy, and he played the percentages and the probabilities. He knows where Brooke’s next shots are usually going to be.

“Brooke is able to change what she does from venue to venue,” said Dave, “and that’s what makes her special.”

But Dave was calculating the probabilities Sunday a little later than he probably would have liked.

Brooke started the day with birdies on Nos. 4 and 6, but the rest of the leaderboard was chock full of challengers, and they weren’t backing down.

Multi-time LPGA Tour winner Nasa Hataoka fired a 7-under-par 65. Su Oh was 5-under through nine holes. Brittany Altomare shot 4-under 68, while Lexi Thompson made eagle on the 72nd hole.

They all, however, finished at 20-under, one shot back of Henderson.

She just needed to make par on 18, a straightaway par-5, and she three-putted. But she made that par. She got choked up. Her father raised her hands in the air. Fellow Canadian Alena Sharp was there for a big hug — and more tears — along with Sharp’s caddie Sarah Bowman.

After Henderson fired the 36-hole course record through the first two rounds (her back-to-back 64’s were punctuated with an ace in the first round) she wasn’t able to keep the momentum going over the weekend. But it was enough.

“Everything was kind of going really easily for me the first two days. I was making a lot of birdies and really I felt like I could have shot a lot better than 8-under both those rounds. Just the way things were going, things were easy,” she said. “Then today I was just trying to make birdies. They weren’t seemed to be falling, but it was just good enough to stay ahead of the crowd.”

This was Henderson’s second win on the LPGA Tour of 2019 — she defended her title at the LOTTE Championship in Hawaii earlier this year — and the Meijer LPGA Classic is one she’s won before, too.

She says, specifically, this week’s layout reminded her of courses in Canada — similar grass and tree-lined fairways — but she says nothing makes her feel more comfortable than having had success.

“You kind of come in here knowing that you have a good opportunity to do the same thing,” she said, “and I think that kind of gets me excited and looking forward to the week maybe a little bit more.”

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:44 PM

Henderson is truly something special.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 2:00 PM

Agreed. What she has already accomplished at age 21 is phenomenal. It will be fascinating to watch her career develop in the coming years.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 3:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh, I know they don't. That's kinda part of my point.
Introspection really isn't our thing.

Which is fine, since a deep introspection might reveal some unsettling truths about ourselves to ourselves.

Congrats to the Raptors and Toronto! Enjoy the parade and the day!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 9:50 PM

Henderson will probably end up being one of the greatest female golfers of all time. She is well on her way already.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

(got scooped by baseball thread)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:58 AM
Go Chiefs!

Auger Aliassime wins 2 matches in a day (vs Dimitrov and Kyrgios). Off to the QF.

Next match is against Tsitsipas.

Already ranked 21st at the age of 18. And this ranking will go up. Maybe dramatically as he has ZERO points to defend for Wimbledon.
If he was smarter with his schedule and played the French Open (instead of burning himself playing an excessive numbers of tournaments before), I have no doubt he would already be approaching the top 10.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada