HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
A blessing in disguise.
Agree. I think Philly developers tend to be savvy/realistically attuned to market conditions. They know exactly when to stop to prevent overbuilding, unlike many other markets where unrealistic expectations of never-ending construction are much more common.

The last thing Center City needs is a stalled--or worse--half-finished project in a high-profile intersection.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 2:05 PM

Quote:
A blessing in disguise.
[/I]
Not even disguised. That project was hot garbage.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 2:41 PM

Quote:
A blessing in disguise.

Center City apartment development scrapped, retailer sought for space
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...velopment.html

Plans have been scrapped for a mid-rise apartment building on the western edge of Center City and the owner of the property is looking to lease the existing single-story building to a retail tenant.

“Prior to the Feds beginning this series of rate increases Trammell Crow had a couple of potential clients interested in working with them on this project,” Zeghibe said. “Once those interest rates started to rise, they backed away. The capital markets just went to the sidelines and they didn’t have a partner to work with.”

Zeghibe, who is also president of Patriot Parking, said the property is being leased and not sold because it’s unlikely it would sell for as high as Trammell Crow was willing to pay. The Patriot Parking entity has owned the site since 1995.

“There’s no reason to leap into another sale,” Zeghibe said. “I would like to see the market get a little bit stronger. And it will. It always does.”

Zeghibe wants to see development throughout Philadelphia pick back up before construction at the former Rite Aid will come back into focus.
Thank god. Abject proof that not all development is good development.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 5:14 PM

GOOD. Hopefully if it comes back one day it'll be entirely reimagined. That was one of the most awful proposals I've ever seen for Rittenhouse

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 6:33 PM
PHL

Quote:
A blessing in disguise.

Center City apartment development scrapped, retailer sought for space
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...velopment.html

Plans have been scrapped for a mid-rise apartment building on the western edge of Center City and the owner of the property is looking to lease the existing single-story building to a retail tenant.
Excellent news!! What a truly pathetic project.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 3:35 AM
Creative Ambitions

DJI_0323 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0322 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0319 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0314 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0306 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0305 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0303 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0302 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0301 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0300 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0295 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0292 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0291 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV05222 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV05218 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV05210 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV05202 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
That was def the general consensus. It’s funny bc my friend came in from Houston for the party and he’s a big traveler (lived in Germany for years), and he was comparing Philly party scene to Berlin after this weekend bc he said. “The city has an edge.” The staff at the Filmore were hilarious too…the clothing check ladies said to us as we walked out “the gays certainly party on a different level…and we’ve never made this much money doing coatcheck.” ������
I had a friend visiting from Atlanta and while he's generally impressed with Philly (has been many times), he said it was off the charts fun this weekend. The city was packed. In multiple scenarios he literally looked over at me and said, "I'm so happy right now", lol.

The city looked really good and from what I could see everyone was well behaved.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 7:22 PM
build awesome buildings

There was an awesome energy across the entire city this weekend - truly hope that it was sign that this summer will be equally as awesome.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 7:31 PM

There really was. Waiting for subway at City Hall on Sunday was really cool as lots of people were coming from all sorts of different events, mainly from Pride. Although it was annoying to wait 35 minutes for a northbound train (no surprises from our lovely SEPTA Sunday service), I loved seeing everyone riding the subway!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I had a friend visiting from Atlanta and while he's generally impressed with Philly (has been many times), he said it was off the charts fun this weekend. The city was packed. In multiple scenarios he literally looked over at me and said, "I'm so happy right now", lol.

The city looked really good and from what I could see everyone was well behaved.
He was right. Philly was 🔥 this weekend, absolutely. He picked a great weekend to visit!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:25 PM

Philadelphia needs to do something about the night lighting. Every other major city, even cities tinier than us (like Cleveland) coordinates their night lights every night to match each other and make a nice arrangement of lights. Philadelphia matches on some nights for a Phillies game or an Eagles game and on some other occasions, but we need them to match EVERY night imo. Also, if Comcast One can only change all those lights to one color at a time as we've seen so far, they honestly just might as well have not renovated the lights. What is the point in spending millions to redo lights just to have them be able to change to like 9 colors. That's literally 1980s technology. The new lights should be able to do animations and gradients and what not, similar to the Salesforce Tower in San Fran. Also, Liberty One needs to use their lights to the full potential. It has the capability of doing a rainbow animation and SHOULD be doing that all night, every night for Pride month, yet it just stays its basic color every night. I know I am ranting to probably no one who cares but it has always bothered me that the night lights in this city are taken so unseriously.

On a more positive note, I do have a contact at Comcast that says they are discussing renovating the Comcast Two light stick, so hopefully that will be renovated better and have more extensive lighting capabilities. Again sorry for ranting, rant over.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Philadelphia needs to do something about the night lighting. Every other major city, even cities tinier than us (like Cleveland) coordinates their night lights every night to match each other and make a nice arrangement of lights. Philadelphia matches on some nights for a Phillies game or an Eagles game and on some other occasions, but we need them to match EVERY night imo. Also, if Comcast One can only change all those lights to one color at a time as we've seen so far, they honestly just might as well have not renovated the lights. What is the point in spending millions to redo lights just to have them be able to change to like 9 colors. That's literally 1980s technology. The new lights should be able to do animations and gradients and what not, similar to the Salesforce Tower in San Fran. Also, Liberty One needs to use their lights to the full potential. It has the capability of doing a rainbow animation and SHOULD be doing that all night, every night for Pride month, yet it just stays its basic color every night. I know I am ranting to probably no one who cares but it has always bothered me that the night lights in this city are taken so unseriously.

On a more positive note, I do have a contact at Comcast that says they are discussing renovating the Comcast Two light stick, so hopefully that will be renovated better and have more extensive lighting capabilities. Again sorry for ranting, rant over.
I think this is one of those things you care about or you don't. I personally find over illuminated skylines to be tacky. I really don't care what Cleveland does. It probably does it for lack of meaningful density otherwise.

Is Chicago coordinating it's entire god damn skyline? New York? LA?

Maybe on rare occasions the big buildings are coordinated but otherwise who cares.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I think this is one of those things you care about or you don't. I personally find over illuminated skylines to be tacky. I really don't care what Cleveland does. It probably does it for lack of meaningful density otherwise.

Is Chicago coordinating it's entire god damn skyline? New York? LA?

Maybe on rare occasions the big buildings are coordinated but otherwise who cares.
Yes. Chicago has all of their buildings coordinated every night. NY coordinates most of the big buildings, they kinda have too many small ones to completely coordinate. LA does as well as far as I know

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Yes. Chicago has all of their buildings coordinated every night. NY coordinates most of the big buildings, they kinda have too many small ones to completely coordinate. LA does as well as far as I know
LA does not. Only for sports and holidays.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:26 AM
Philly Pholly

I think of what many Asian cities are doing.
Entire towers appear as giant animated screens coordinated with other towers.
I haven't decided whether I like it but it is impressive.
It's nice to coordinate sometimes, not necessarily all the times.

Shanghai
Shanghai Skyline Lighting 5b by , on Flickr

maxresdefault by , on Flickr

479d6530ad5b62acaa77742d7317951c by , on Flickr

Last edited by SEFTA; Jun 6, 2024 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:53 AM

Your rant is relevant, I agree. Positive note: I'm glad Comcast Center recieved a lighting renovation, REALLY happy One Liberty recieved a lighting upgrade, PECO lighting upgrade, the pyramid base of Mellon Bank Center was relit back in 2019, and we've had new additions with lighting like Arthaus, The Laurel, and the W .I love the W's lighting, but some sections have not been turned on at all, even before the tower was complete. The Laurel's lighting has been failing recently, Bell Atlantic Tower's lighting has multiple sections of lighting off depending on theme (only like four floors are lit up when pink), Cira Center's lighting is showing it's age and keeps flickering, Two Liberty not receiving any attention since 2007 ALONG with the FAA and spire lights turned off SINCE THE MID 90's. One Liberty Place's FAA lights at the base of the spire has failed too, four lights used to be on place, now there's just one. I believe one was removed for...broadcasting equipment. The Comcast Technology Center has some sections of lighting failing on the "spine" too. I had a brief conversation with someone about the lighting in Vegas and compared it to Philly. Yes the locations and themes are DRASTICALLY different, but imagine if we had more "life" onto our nighttime skyline. The only animations that are literally casted with light are on FMC, Cira, and PECO. I hear you and I too am not pleased. Not to mention the skyline is currently darker for the bird safe program, which is why One Liberty Place's spire lighting is off.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:07 AM

This is the original lighting of the Bell Atlantic Tower, not long after it was first flipped on. It was designed to intentionally look like a waterfall of light. Now some of the bottom sections are not lit, along with portions of the east and west face

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:37 AM
Philly Pholly

It puzzles me why the big screens of Market East aren't animated.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:57 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
This is the original lighting of the Bell Atlantic Tower, not long after it was first flipped on. It was designed to intentionally look like a waterfall of light. Now some of the bottom sections are not lit, along with portions of the east and west face
Woahh thats how the lighting is supposed to be on the Bell Atlantic tower?!

It's funny how when these buildings were originally built they had grand lighting schemes, but after exorbitant costs due to the type of lights at that time they were switched off.

Now that we have LEDs most towers are switching to them and turning their lighting back on, but its happening very very slowly.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:57 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
It puzzles me why the big screens of Market East aren't animated.
What do you mean? they are.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations