HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 11:53 PM
Rachacha rez

I can live with 4 story buildings in that part of town. As far as Nate's goes, I'm guessing the big part of the issue was that the people living there were unable to replace their mobile homes with something more modern and safer, due to the rezoning. While I'm not a big fan of mobile homes, having lived in one growing up, I can understand the reasoning behind why someone would purchase one to live in, and can especially understand this. The only thing I'm unsure about is who owns the pads. If it is under one ownership, at some point in the future, the odds are that it will be bought out and redeveloped without mobile homes. If it is individual lots, then this will remain a mobile home park for quite some time.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:29 AM
Missing the Gorges

Okay Ex, I'm gonna have to bust your chops...

"It's Ithaca, where are the hippies?"

I laughed my behind off when I saw you managed to piss off the SSC Syracuse thread guy by mentioning snow. He needs to get a thicker hide if he let that get to him.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 2:31 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Hey Vis, I was kind of shocked that he got so worked up over a throw-away joke like that. Must be something deeper I've done to him, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be.

BTW, Ithaca is NOT all hippies, and stop saying that.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 3:14 PM
Missing the Gorges

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...705220322/1002

and the daily news-the 44-unit Marinelli Cliff Street is up for vote tonight. The only new data I have on this is that it's "loft-style" housing. The 17-unit Iacovelli project is also up for vote (that's the one replacing the auto parts store on Buffalo Street). Remember, these are 3+ and 2 floors respectively, so don't expect much height.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 4:37 PM
Old Fart Forumer

That Marinelli project has been in the works for quite a while (typical Ithaca, hurry up and wait).

Not to be a smart ass, but the headline for the below article make it sound like he's being raffled off.

Tickets for Dalai Lama on sale today

ITHACA — Tickets for the Dalai Lama’s three public events in October are now on sale.

Tickets will be available for purchase at www.namgyal.org, and for each event there will be four ticket prices, $125, $75, $50 and $20.

The three events are:

Ï “A Human Approach to World Peace,” a lecture from 2 to 4 p.m. Oct. 9 in Cornell University’s Barton Hall.

Ï “Prayers for World Peace,” 10:30 a.m. to noon Oct. 10 at the State Theatre.

Ï Teachings on Buddhist texts, from 2 to 4 p.m. Oct. 10 at Ithaca College’s Ben Light Gymnasium.

For the Cornell event, to insure new students the opportunity to attend, the school will hold a limited number of tickets exclusively for the Cornell community, and they will go on sale Aug. 15.

Originally published May 23, 2007

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 5:42 PM
Missing the Gorges

As I recall, the original Marinelli project was for three commericial buildings on the site (professional buildings), but they were voted down for some reason or another.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 12:52 AM
Rachacha rez

Rednecks and Hippies, and Drunks, oh my.... Just wait until the Grassroots festival is in town, VIS.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 1:42 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ true dat whit.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 10:28 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Brief update about projects at Ithaca College.

Williams outlines IC building projects
Gateway office building to break ground today
By Tim Ashmore
Journal Staff

ITHACA — Three major building projects Ithaca College developed in 2002 as part of its campus master plan are all supposed to be under way or completed by 2008, according to Ithaca College president Peggy Williams.

Williams was the keynote speaker at the Tompkins County Area Development annual meeting Thursday morning at the downtown Holiday Inn. Local business owners, politicians and members of TCAD gathered to listen to recent progress made in Tompkins County and the challenges TCAD hopes to address in 2007 and beyond.

TCAD President Michael Stamm said the group has helped Ithaca College with several projects. Most recently, TCAD issued the school $28 million in tax-exempt bonds, which will help them get lower interest rates on the funds they have to borrow to construct the new administration building, he said.

“We pursue tax-exempt bonds aggressively for our local not-for-profits because we understand what an enormous impact they have on the (local) economy and have a significant impact on the quality of life,” Stamm said.
Last week, the college received approval from the board of trustees to continue with plans for a 130,000-square-foot athletics and events building, Williams said. The new athletics facility would be unique in the Ithaca area by providing athletics facilities as well as a venue available to the community for various events.

“This is a very exciting facility for us,” Williams said. “It will be used mostly for on-campus events, certainly during the school year, and then obviously as a complement for hosting events related to athletics, a speaker for whom our Ben Light Gymnasium is too small, and community use.”

The college also began construction on a $20 million, 40,000-square-foot business school building on May 12, 2006, and the project is scheduled to finish in November 2008. The business school facility will be Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) level platinum. Platinum is the highest LEED standard; the college's facility will be the only platinum-level business school in the country, Williams said.

Construction on the new Gateway building, a 60,000-square-foot building adjacent to the new business school, breaks ground today. The new facility will provide space for enrollment services and executive offices, Williams said. Currently admissions, bursar and the registrar are at one end of campus while the financial aid office is at the other, and institutional research is in another building. The project is scheduled to be finished in the fall of 2008.

TCAD also laid out three major five-year goals at the meeting. Stamm said TCAD is committed to increasing and diversifying the housing supply, improving the workforce and revitalizing commercial districts such as the downtown area.

These new goals are part of the new TCAD economic development strategy that was rewritten this year for the first time since 1999.

tashmore@ithacajournal.com

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 3:30 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I don't mean to make light of the poor woman's death, but the comments at the end of the article are so Ithaca. (btw, this bridge is a couple of blocks from my old apartmant building, and not the first suicide from it either)

Auburn-area woman dies in fall from bridge
2 passersby say they witnessed jump into Cascadilla Gorge
By Raymond Drumsta
Journal Staff

ITHACA — Ithaca Police are investigating the death of a 36-year-old Auburn woman who apparently jumped into Cascadilla Gorge from the Stewart Avenue bridge Thursday evening.

Emergency personnel responded to the scene at about 8 p.m., police said. Two witnesses saw the woman climb onto the railing of the bridge and fall into the water below, they added.

The woman's identity is being withheld, police said.

The bridge was blocked to vehicle traffic by emergency trucks as personnel from the Ithaca Police Department, Ithaca Fire Department, Cornell University Police, Cornell Environmental Health and Safety and Bangs Ambulance reached the body by taking a footpath that descends to the bottom of the gorge from bridge's north end.
On the bridge above, police taped off the scene. Pedestrians continued to walk across the bridge and some onlookers gathered as the muggy evening gave way to darkness lit only by streetlamps and the red glare of emergency lights.

After police investigated and took pictures, emergency personnel secured the body and carried it along the gorge to the intersection of Linn and Court streets, fire officials said. From there, Bangs Ambulance personnel transported it to Cayuga Medical Center.

Police also investigated and took pictures of a car parked nearby on Stewart Avenue. At about 9:30 p.m., police had the car towed from the area.

Police said the investigation is continuing and not foul play is suspected.

rdrumsta@ithacajournal.com

Originally published May 25, 2007

Post a Comment View All Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yoda the proof reader he is.

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:59 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Police said the investigation is continuing and not foul play is suspected"
The writing is so good not at the Journal.

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:52 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 3:48 PM
Missing the Gorges

Now, browsing through my digital photos, I found two pics of the Stewart Avenue Bridge, taken May 4th. Looking down:

And a second photo I took of some guys from my fraternity. But, due to what may or may not be the presence of alochol around those under 21, I won't post it.

I personally think this is the scariest bridge in Ithaca. It scares my family when they try and cross it to visit me, and I still hold reservations about walking it after a bus caught my umbrella a while back and blew me into the railings.

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 4:03 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Nice shot Vis. And that is an imposing site, but I think the bridge she jumped from is the Stewart Ave bridge over Cascadilla gorge. Same result either way though .

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 4:16 PM
Missing the Gorges

Oh...oops, didn't catch that. My mistake!

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 11:35 AM
Rachacha rez

Why is it that the bridges make such a tempting target for suicidal people? Anyhow, I'm a bit in shock that no one tried to rush over to stop her as she jumped.

Old Posted May 27, 2007, 12:27 AM
Missing the Gorges

Whit- it's one heck of a way to go. nothing gets attention like leaping from a bridge.

So, IC's Gateway Building (note from Ex's article, there are three IC projects: the Robert A.M. Stern designed Business School Building, the Athletic Building, and this one, the Gateway Building. Groundbreaking was last weekend.)

From the SW-it links to Dillingham Hall

Old Posted May 27, 2007, 12:54 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Good stuff, thanks for the renderings Vis.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 11:46 AM
Old Fart Forumer

This will definately liven things up along Aurora Street, and there is a parking garage in the 200 block of Aurora, so what the heck. As long as they can find the money.

SIDEWALK DINING UP AGAINST THE WALL
Aurora St. eateries seek bigger sidewalks
By Jennie Daley
Journal Staff

ITHACA — Business owners on the 100 block of North Aurora Street are beginning to see the construction outside their restaurants as not just an inconvenience but, possibly, an opportunity.

Unrelated to the road work, the City of Ithaca this year began strictly enforcing the space limits for outdoor seating at restaurants on the block. Stenciled knives and forks were painted on the sidewalk to delineate how far from the building tables and chairs can sit. With the restrictions, some businesses lost more than half their seating.

Since the road is already torn up and traffic interrupted, restaurateurs see this as the perfect time to discuss eliminating the metered parking and extending the sidewalk to allow more room for tables, pedestrians and amenities like trees and trash cans.

Discussions about the reconfiguration are on a fast track in an effort to keep the sidewalk work on the same schedule as the road work, which is being done to replace an aging sewer system. Tom West, assistant city engineer, said plans and funding would have to be finalized by the second week in June for the sidewalk project to go forward this year.
To that end, West said the City of Ithaca's Board of Public Works gave him the OK Wednesday to take the preferred design to a meeting next week with business owners.

The suggested plan would eliminate the 13 metered spaces and have three areas where cars could pull over. Two of the loading zones, one in front of Simeon's and the other in front of the Commons Market, would be carry-overs from the current configuration with the zone in front of Commons Market potentially extended slightly. The third area for cars, in front of Contemporary Trends, is not defined yet and could be a loading dock or handicapped parking.

Along the rest of the block, sidewalks would be extended by about six feet. That extension would apply to the sidewalk from Viva Taqueria to Hal's Deli on one side of the street and from Ragmann's to Micawbers on the other.

That's great news for people like Doug Gruen, owner of Blue Stone Grill. He went from 16 outdoor seats to eight that are pushed right up against the building.

“It's kind of pathetically ridiculous how we have to squeeze everybody in,” Gruen said.

Tomas Harrington, general manager of Viva, said that in addition to having to try to appease customers unhappy with the outdoor seating arrangements, Viva has calculated that the eight seats they've lost cost them $5,000 each between May and August.

That lost revenue is especially tough on Viva, which pays an extra $7,000 to $8,000 per year for more expansive liquor liability coverage to insure their outdoor seating.

“There are businesses that are going to say it's not worth it,” Harrington said.

Mahogany Grill and Ithaca Ale House were notably impacted by the change. The Ale House's seating dropped from 22 chairs to 10.

The loss of such seating, restaurant owners contend, impacts not only their bottom line but also visitors' impression of the neighborhood.

“Really it is just so important when people drive by to have a vibrant bustling area,” said Harrington. “It's good for the Commons area, it's good for the whole town.”

Not everyone is sure giving up parking is such a great idea. Carolyn Grigorov has owned Contemporary Trends at the corner of Aurora and Seneca streets for 51 years and is the only non-food business on the block. While she's a supporter of outdoor dining, she'd like to find a solution that doesn't include the loss of so much parking.

“A lot of people don't go anywhere they can't park close to,” Grigorov said.

If the parking is removed, it's unclear who will be paying for the work. West said they haven't drawn up estimates yet but the project was not included in the city's 2007 budget. Normally, sidewalk repairs done by the city are charged to property owners but none of the involved parties is sure yet who would foot this bill.

West said the Department of Public Works hopes to have those questions answered in time for the Board of Public Works voting meeting June 13, when the board could make a decision on whether to proceed with the project.

jdaley@ithacajournal.com

Related news from the Web
Latest headlines by topic:
• Restaurant Management