HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 2:51 PM

127 Bannatyne Ave

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 11:09 PM

A great project for the area!!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 2:10 AM

A little off topic but I've noticed a recent listing on a commercial real estate that the Masonic Temple is for sale. I imagine it's a heritage building so it can't be redeveloped, but it seems like it's just rotting away. What a shame. I bring it up to pick your guys brains - what would you do with the space?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 2:25 AM

That building has been for sale for over 10 years, it will never sell until Ginakes dies I swear.

I haven’t been inside to see the layout to guess what it might be good for. Historically it’s only been restaurants/nightclubs as far back as my memory goes (Mother Tucker’s followed by Blue Agave).

A history

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/masonictemple.shtml

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
That building has been for sale for over 10 years, it will never sell until Ginakes dies I swear.

I haven’t been inside to see the layout to guess what it might be good for. Historically it’s only been restaurants/nightclubs as far back as my memory goes (Mother Tucker’s followed by Blue Agave).

A history

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/masonictemple.shtml
Dan Wolfrom from Wolfrom Engineering had a 30 month option lease to own deal with the Ginakes/Harris owner group in 2008 to redevelop the building for his business and lease out the main for a restaurant, but his staff said they wanted to stay in their existing offices so the deal never completed.

Free Press article in the fall of 2010 about 335 Donald said that Wolfrom had spent about $150,000.00 in prep work before his option expired.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 3:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

it was brought up to code minmums if im not mistaken and just sits

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 3:07 AM

A couple very chilly photos of the Bannatyne development. Couldn't get more, my cab showed up after dinner at Corrientes and it was too bloody cold to hang out!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 12:07 AM

If the website for 90 Alexander Ave is to be believed, the apartments there are filling up really slowly. It says 26 out of 27 units are available in the old Great West Metal Building (90 Alexander Ave) and 160 out of 179 units are available in the new black building (100 Alexander Ave).

You can see the availability here (you have to scroll over the picture):

https://thebendwinnipeg.com/find-your-suite/

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 2:40 PM

How long have they been available? I'll admit I haven't been paying much attention. But this is the first I've heard of occupancy.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
How long have they been available? I'll admit I haven't been paying much attention. But this is the first I've heard of occupancy.
I think people started moving in around Nov. 1. I have a post from Nov. 12 on here saying that some of the apartments looked occupied.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 5:56 AM

I was on Pacific & Alexander a number of times last week and the area was busy. Nonsuch and Patent5 were lively and the Bend is a very welcomed addition to the area. What did surprise me was their limited parking area on the westerly side of the building was vacant of vehicles. As parking is only available to the project’s larger 2 bedroom units, it would suggest these accommodations have not rented yet or young people sharing a larger unit just don’t have cars and are embracing Wpg urbanism with the use of Peg City Car co-op.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
A little off topic but I've noticed a recent listing on a commercial real estate that the Masonic Temple is for sale. I imagine it's a heritage building so it can't be redeveloped, but it seems like it's just rotting away. What a shame. I bring it up to pick your guys brains - what would you do with the space?
I'm dreaming here, but I wish it could be converted into a music venue. That would be so cool.

Also, the old Eaton's Warehouse (130 Galt Ave) would make a great indoor market, kind of like The Forks. Does anyone know what that building is used for nowadays?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Also, the old Eaton's Warehouse (130 Galt Ave) would make a great indoor market, kind of like The Forks. Does anyone know what that building is used for nowadays?
I thought it was still a functioning warehouse for Scott-Bathgate, though with them recently closing up Nutty Club, that may no longer be true.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
I thought it was still a functioning warehouse for Scott-Bathgate, though with them recently closing up Nutty Club, that may no longer be true.
This is correct. A Byward style market would be so cool in that building. It'd take some doing but I imagine a well appointed and varied year round market would be huge for that part of town. It'd fill the supermarket void too.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
This is correct. A Byward style market would be so cool in that building. It'd take some doing but I imagine a well appointed and varied year round market would be huge for that part of town. It'd fill the supermarket void too.
Plus with the Alexander Ave Docks hoping being revitalized, that area could potentially be like a mini Forks.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Plus with the Alexander Ave Docks hoping being revitalized, that area could potentially be like a mini Forks.
Wasn't there some discussion a while of Forks North Portage Partnership's mandate changing to drop the "North Portage" component in exchange for Waterfront/Point Douglas? That would certainly jive with the pending sale of the Portage Place Parkade and acquisition of Alexander Docks.

If the Forks was patterned on Granville Island, the Scott-Bathgate warehouse should be patterned on Atlanta's Ponce City Market.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Wasn't there some discussion a while of Forks North Portage Partnership's mandate changing to drop the "North Portage" component in exchange for Waterfront/Point Douglas? That would certainly jive with the pending sale of the Portage Place Parkade and acquisition of Alexander Docks.

If the Forks was patterned on Granville Island, the Scott-Bathgate warehouse should be patterned on Atlanta's Ponce City Market.
That would be perfect. If that gets done, have some nice docks with a water taxi to St B and the Forks and goddamn, we'd have a cool fucking waterfront. I wonder if anyone at the city has the same idea. Anyone here work for the Forks Developmental side of the house?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 6:29 PM

Wasn't there some recent (last week) news or discussion on Alexander Docks and having a small dock for personal watercraft use?

Edit: News here on RFP to look at the docks.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...te/ar-AA1n3pgv

The Forks has leased the docks site for a 99 year term at $1 cost and will oversee the redevelopment.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Wasn't there some recent (last week) news or discussion on Alexander Docks and having a small dock for personal watercraft use?

Edit: News here on RFP to look at the docks.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...te/ar-AA1n3pgv

The Forks has leased the docks site for a 99 year term at $1 cost and will oversee the redevelopment.
I can't wait to see what they come up with. That whole area has such good bones and being adjacent to the cultural district it could truly be a nationally notable area.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:

They have to shed the Portage Place asset first.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan