HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 1:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This comment was found on Spitfire Design's Facebook page:

Quote:
Welcome to 200 Robinson St, Moncton

This 6-storey building in the heart of Downtown Moncton offers modern urban living with a large rooftop patio, 2 levels of secure indoor parking and main level commercial spaces.

Construction is set to begin late summer 2022
So, it would appear that construction of the Robinson Residences will begin in just a couple of months. The timing might be perfect for the relocation of the tower crane currently working on the Ashford Living building at Highfield & Campbell.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 11, 2022 at 1:31 PM. Reason: typos

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 11:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Forms are going in the ground for the new Codiac RCMP headquarters building.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 6:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's a T&T article about this today.

This will be a long construction project, not expected to wrap up until late 2024 or even early 2025!

Why does it always take twice as long to build any civic building than it does for a private construction project???

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 8:34 PM

I like the brick looking cladding but those alternating windows is so amateurish. Please stop Spitfire.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonDowntown View Post
I like the brick looking cladding but those alternating windows is so amateurish. Please stop Spitfire.
Yes, I get it, but its not being done well on these renders or on the actual building in Dieppe, I honestly would like to see some more lighter colours to the buildings

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 1:21 AM

37 St George apt almost done. Small but packs a big punch. Like seriously, look at all the different textures. Isn't this supposed to be an affordable housing project?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 1:26 AM

An update on the Weldon townhouse/apartment. Looking good! If I had a $2200-$2500/mth budget for rent, greater Moncton area has some really nice options.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 3:19 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Love the lighting on this building. This accent really makes this building look classy.

Just imagine if there were another half dozen or so similar (but not identical) 6-8 storey apartment buildings in the downtown west end. This would give a huge boost to gentrification of the neighbourhood, and would do a lot to change the character (and public perception) of the area.

I am convinced that the downtown west end will ultimately become a popular residential neighbourhood which will be in high demand. This is in large part due to the Avenir Centre.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 12:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Huddle article about the Comic Hunter's move to the old Staples Pharmacy on St. George Street.

https://huddle.today/2022/06/17/the-...-moncton-home/

This move will be really good for St. George Street. They expect to move in by the end of summer.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 2:06 PM

Yeah that should be a net positive for Comic Hunter and George Street.

But it is a loss for Downtown/Main street area, since it is the loss of an extended hours business. Most of CH's gaming events would be on the weekend and evenings, which spurred activity "after work" and on the weekends.

As a Card gamer myself, I know when I went to events (in Freddy mainly), I'd often grab dinner at a nearby restaurant after work/before the event, and I'd often see other gamers doing similar; so that's extra foot traffic that's being lost from Main Street.

Looking at their new location, that does seem to be a minor down note as well; there doesn't seem to be as many food options around the store. But if George street continues to redevelop, I'm sure they will see more food opportunities coming up. Still, I expect Shoppers across the road will be the main Gamer snack depot.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 12:15 AM

Another big announcement for downtown, I think much bigger than anyone expected for the corner of Vaughn Harvey and Main St. I don’t have the photos, but you can find them on the mayors Facebook page.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Another big announcement for downtown, I think much bigger than anyone expected for the corner of Vaughn Harvey and Main St. I don’t have the photos, but you can find them on the mayors Facebook page.

From the T&T

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 1:20 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are the photos that Dawn Arnold posted:

Looks like nine storeys equivalent.

The T&T article states the design was submitted based on an RFP issued by the city.

The building would include some ground floor commercial, with the remainder being residential, except for the top floor which would be "common space." The building would include some affordable housing units beginning at $1142.00 per month.

Note the extension of Atlantic Avenue through to Main Street, although access to Atlantic would be westbound only, and egress would also be westbound only.

I personally consider this design to be preliminary only, and that it could change. There has been no information released as to whom the potential developer is. This is all very preliminary, but this will be a substantial and welcome addition to the downtown west end.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 11:23 AM
Mud

Shame the Tide & Bore is losing that nice little green space next to their patio but all those new customers next door are a nice consolation I'm sure.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 11:29 AM

Nice to see more residential coming for downtown Moncton, but $1142/month qualifies as the baseline for affordable in NB these days?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

There's a T&T article about this today.

This will be a long construction project, not expected to wrap up until late 2024 or even early 2025!

Why does it always take twice as long to build any civic building than it does for a private construction project???
It takes the government twice as long to do anything! For example, my wife and I got married in October and she still doesn’t have her new updated Medicare card. One of the times they apparently lost it in the mail. The bureaucracy gets in the way of so many things.
Any other example is look at the DOT managed highway from Moncton to River Glade compared to the privately operated highway that is past that. They have basically paved the whole highway from Riverglade to Sussex in the last 3 years by the section by the truck weigh ins outside Salisbury is a mess.

Government is inefficient. However I’ll take the inefficiency over a dictatorship any day lol.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here are the photos that Dawn Arnold posted:

Looks like nine storeys equivalent.

The T&T article states the design was submitted based on an RFP issued by the city.

The building would include some ground floor commercial, with the remainder being residential, except for the top floor which would be "common space." The building would include some affordable housing units beginning at $1142.00 per month.

Note the extension of Atlantic Avenue through to Main Street, although access to Atlantic would be westbound only, and egress would also be westbound only.

I personally consider this design to be preliminary only, and that it could change. There has been no information released as to whom the potential developer is. This is all very preliminary, but this will be a substantial and welcome addition to the downtown west end.
This is an absolutely MASSIVE project for downtown!! Even if this is not the final design, the scope of the project is huge!!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 1:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
This is an absolutely MASSIVE project for downtown!! Even if this is not the final design, the scope of the project is huge!!
When I say that I don't think this is the final design, that doesn't mean I expect any massive changes in the scale or the form of the building. I could see changes in the cladding, colour or window accents however. We saw that with the Ashford Living building at Highfield and Campbell for instance.

The two storey atrium-like crown of this building I find intriguing. I wonder what could go up there? The T&T article stated it would be "common space", but the square footage would be massive, and while there will no doubt be tenant amenities up there, I wonder if they could put other things up there too, like a public restaurant. It would have a view...........

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I'd hope they keep that design, I quite like it. But regardless of the design, seeing that be built up would be great.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 3:21 PM

Needs an underground tunnel to get to Sobeys!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces