HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 5:11 PM

I really hope they learn something from how well the patios have done with Covid, and pedestrianize the market as much as possible.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 10:45 PM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Technically food and water are bigger needs, but point taken.

Giving someone with addiction and mental health issues housing does not solve the market’s problems. Those with addiction issues will still need drugs and money for drugs, both of which provide an incentive to continue to hang around the market area.

“Housing first” was trendy a few years ago but had largely failed.
If people can't see the basic humanity of providing people with housing, then I really don't know what will sway them.

drug addiction /mental health issues in and of themselves are not morally wrong.
forcing people to sleep rough on the other hand...

I don't think all the housing first arguments really need to be rehashed, but if you have stable housing it puts you in a much better position to deal with addiction, while mitigating the trauma and violence of a life on the street.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBuoy View Post
If people can't see the basic humanity of providing people with housing, then I really don't know what will sway them.

drug addiction /mental health issues in and of themselves are not morally wrong.
forcing people to sleep rough on the other hand...

I don't think all the housing first arguments really need to be rehashed, but if you have stable housing it puts you in a much better position to deal with addiction, while mitigating the trauma and violence of a life on the street.
They already have housing. Yes it's only a bed and they have to be out during the day.

If we give them small basic apartments what about the thousands of almost homeless people. Can anyone who turns 18 get one of these apartments or do you need to prove addiction or sustained sleeping rough?

I'm not against the idea. With our publicly funded healthcare system a housing first strategy could pay for itself but once started it would likely quickly expand. Like our subsidized housing there would be demands for it to be high quality housing eventually distorting the market.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
They already have housing. Yes it's only a bed and they have to be out during the day.
Yeesh. An emergency shelter is not "housing". We should be looking to minimize the size of our emergency shelter system by ensure the folks staying there often are put into some kind of proper housing.

And I don't buy that providing proper housing is going to create some kind of moral hazard problem as you seem to be suggesting.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
They're called homeless shelters. Not housing. If you don't have a safe place to go any time of day, your own private space, to go at anytime of the day, it's not housing.

A full transition to housing first is probably not feasible, but we have to start somewhere. It doesn't need to be 2-3 bedroom apartments with quartz countertops. It can just be basic bachelors with supportive services within the building. Maybe at first, with limited supply, we only offer these units to those without addiction and those who want to seek help.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:

If we give them small basic apartments what about the thousands of almost homeless people. Can anyone who turns 18 get one of these apartments or do you need to prove addiction or sustained sleeping rough?

I'm not against the idea. With our publicly funded healthcare system a housing first strategy could pay for itself but once started it would likely quickly expand. Like our subsidized housing there would be demands for it to be high quality housing eventually distorting the market.
Maybe we should consider a better housing strategy while we're at it. A lot of people are priced out of the market and are never going to get the investment return people who can buy in will earn. This is the kind of strategy that would help many people living in precarious situations actually have the stability needed to just live.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:16 PM

Homeless people are only a problem for one corner of the Market area. There's much bigger fish to fry.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Homeless people are only a problem for one corner of the Market area. There's much bigger fish to fry.
Have you been to the market in the last ten years?!?! It's bursting at the seams day and night with homeless people, from Major's Hill Park to past King Edward...from Sussex down to Laurier.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 12:19 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Busking returns to ByWard Market as pandemic restrictions ease

Krystalle Ramlakhan · CBC News
Posted: Jul 05, 2021 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: July 5

After more than a year of COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, busking returns today to the ByWard Market — and for musicians like Roxanne Delage, it can't happen soon enough.

"Everything's been shut down for musicians. It's been very hard," said Delage, who runs a T-shirt shop in the market and is planning to busk for the first time this summer.

"I'm looking forward to it, to work out some of the songs that I wrote in isolation. And it'll be nice to get out and sing out loud. I live in an apartment, so sometimes I have to be a little quiet."

Ontario is now in Step 2 of its reopening, and according to the authority that oversees the ByWard Market, buskers will face some initial restrictions.

They won't be able to use amps, so as to not encourage tightly packed crowds. They're also asked to limit themselves to one-hour sets.

Those who do come out to listen are asked to physically distance.

"It's going to be a bit of an education for everybody," said Zachary Dayler, executive director for Ottawa Markets.

"But we do want to sort of begin to get some animation back into our streets, and so we're excited."

Dayler said he thinks big busker shows will eventually return, but the ByWard Market isn't ready for that yet, given the COVID-19 safety and health restrictions still in place.

One new initiative by Ottawa Markets this year will see QR codes at busking sites, which will provide people with a link so they can donate directly to charities.

The first charity will be The Ottawa Mission, and they'll rotate each month. Ottawa Markets is also waiving the registration fee for buskers, in the hopes they'll pass that along to charity, too.

Dayler said he still wants people to donate to buskers directly.

"It's been a long time since these folks have been able to get back. And I know that people are really excited to see them in the area," he said.

Still, one long-time busker isn't pleased with the QR code initiative.

"I'm an artist, and as an artist, my image and my performance ... that's my choice," said Thomas Brawn, a classical flute player who's performed in the ByWard Market for more than four decades but says he won't this year.

"An arbitrary decision for me to be associated with any charity, no matter how wonderful, is problematic. And it's disrespectful to me as an artist, quite frankly."

Brawn, who has also played in orchestras for decades, said he wasn't consulted on the QR code idea and plans to busk on Sparks Street instead this year.

Dayler said the goal of the donation decals is simply to create a way for people to easily donate to charities and support the local community.

Ottawa Markets is happy to take suggestions for potential charities from artists, he added.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...emic-1.6089702

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Mathieu Fleury
@MathieuFleury

A sunny morning in the ByWard Market to announce close to $1.7M in COVID19 Resilience funding ������

✅Self cleaning public washroom
✅ByWard Market Building upgrades

This is just the beginning ! More investments to come with the vision of the ByWard Market Public Realm Plan

10:45 AM · Jul 20, 2021·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/MathieuFleury/st...95771017003012

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 3:26 PM

I feel like this is the umpteenth time these washrooms have been announced. Build them already!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 4:48 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

'Why should I have to deal with that every day?' Murray Street business owners decry increase in area crime
The merchants feel they are collateral damage, having to contend with frequent thefts and other incidents.

Matthew Lapierre, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Sep 15, 2021 • 4 hours ago • 5 minute read

Merchants on Murray Street are concerned about the increasing number of thefts and assaults in and around the ByWard Market, which, they say, are scaring off clients and preventing them from running their businesses.

“It almost feels like daily where there is an incident, an assault, a break and enter, petty theft,” said Pamela Coulston, owner of Disegno Fine Jewellery on Murray Street. “There was even a hostage-taking. There were numerous incidents of drug addicts passed out on the premises of private businesses, et cetera.”

Coulston is part of a group of Murray Street business owners who have become frustrated with the number of people using drugs in the open and stealing or damaging property. Many of these drug users are, ostensibly, clients of homeless shelters in the neighbourhood and of the nearby Shepherds of Good Hope, where there is a safe-injection site.

The problems have become worse since the COVID-19 lockdowns, Coulston said. “When we started to come back, we found it exceptionally difficult. Much more than before we closed down for COVID,” she said.

The pandemic’s effects have also made it more difficult for those who work with drug users and the homeless.

“A lot of the service providers are saying that they are a bit overwhelmed by what we’re dealing with here,” said Caroline Cox, senior manager of communications fir the Shepherds of Good Hope.

Workers are now grappling with a toxic drug supply, a rise in crystal meth use, an increase in mental health crises and a lack of drop-in centre access due to COVID-19.

The Murray Street merchants feel they are collateral damage, having to contend with frequent thefts and other incidents. Coulston said it was common for business owners to arrive at their shops in the morning to find needles, drug users inside, sometimes unconscious, or for their employees and clients to be harassed or aggressively panhandled.

The police are helpful, several business owners said, but they see officers as a temporary solution to the problem. Take the robberies at Scott Adams’ bakery, The French Baker, which is also on Murray Street. The same man returned to Adams’ shop three times in August. He would pretend to be a customer, but then he would steal the tip jar or some other piece of merchandise.

Each time, Adams watched police arrest the man, write him up and take him to jail. But each time he returned.

“(The police) say, ‘You know, there’s nothing we can do about it. We can only process the arrest and then, after that, it’s up to somebody else to decide what happens to them.’ More often than not, they are just turned around and brought back again — a Band-Aid solution,” Adams said.

“Why should I have to deal with that every day?”

The recent string of incidents has placed a strain on Adams, his staff and his customers.

“A lot of my clients don’t feel safe coming to the ByWard market anymore,” he said. “I am an advocate for marginalized people and I believe 100 per cent that they need help, but I’m just saying that I can’t be the one that bears all the responsibility for that, nor should I be required to.”

Councillor Mathieu Fleury, whose Rideau-Vanier ward includes the area, says the problems are caused in part by a concentration of social services in the area. He has heard from the business owners and says the city is trying to find solutions.

“We’re not ignorant to the issue,” Fleury said. “It’s not an issue that will go away if residents and businesses are silent. Quite the opposite. We need them to continue to be vocal, continue to be engaged.”

City-funded workers on the ground 24/7 can help in the short term, Fleury added, but sustained investments in housing and other services will be required to have an impact in the long-term.

Such long-term solutions remain elusive, however, in part because the drug addiction and homelessness issues stem from many roots: inter-generational trauma, mental illness and lack of affordable housing, according to Cox.

A new multi-purpose building under the umbrella of the Shepherds of Good Hope is slated to be built on Murray Street in 2022. The building would include permanent housing and a 16-hour-a-day drop-in centre. Local merchants feel the building will only aggravate the problem, but Shepherds of Good Hope staff see it as a necessary salve for the area.

“I strongly believe it will (help),” Cox said. “Obviously we want to build it to house people that are already in our shelter, but we also strongly believe that it will help alleviate some of the pressures on the neighbourhood. I think, when you give people permanent housing with supports and you give people a place where they can be during the day and engage in programming and heal, it can only help these problems.”

The business owners have reached out to city leadership, but say they have become frustrated with a lack of action. They fear speaking out and being labeled a NIMBY or a finger-pointer when really, they say, they are just trying to run their businesses.

“These issues that they’re talking about, they’re not unfounded issues. They’re valid concerns and ones I think that we all share,” Cox said, but she added that she thought it would be good if a productive dialogue could be established: one where the experiences of clients of the Shepherds of Good Hope are understood and emphasized with.

“We need to see the people we’re working with here as people,” she said. “I have heard, unfortunately — I’m not pointing fingers at anyone in the business community or anything like that — but you do hear stigmatizing language used and we really do need to consider who these people are and what their needs are.”

Adams hears that stigmatizing language, too. It’s easy to be dispassionate when your store is being robbed and clients are afraid to come to the neighbourhood, but he fights that instinct. “I feel sick about that,” he said, “because I’m a giver, not a taker. My company donates tens of thousands of dollars to the local women’s shelter every year. All of our products, at the end of the day, are donated.

“We’re helping the community and we just need a little help in return. That’s all.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-in-area-crime

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 4:32 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City to roll out community engagement team, mental health strategy for ByWard Market, Lowertown

Taylor Blewett, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Dec 12, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 6 minute read

Amid a confluence of challenges that include a homelessness crisis, toxic drug supply and pandemic disruptions to businesses and services vital to community well-being, one thing is clear: the Lowertown-ByWard Market neighbourhood needs some help.

In hopes of addressing this, work has started on a mental health strategy for the community. In the interim, the city will be rolling out an engagement team of dedicated staff – which will also cover the Sandy Hill neighbourhood – tasked with listening to the concerns of residents and local businesses and trying to coordinate responses to some of the complex challenges the area is grappling with.

“As in many communities across the City, the pandemic has had a visible and negative impact in the densely populated communities in the ByWard Market and Lowertown areas,” community and protective services associate GM Laila Gibbons told this newspaper, via email.

“The concentration of businesses, residents and social services has highlighted the need for a new strategy aimed at improving the health of the entire community.”

It’s still early days with planning ongoing, and stakeholders’ feelings about initiatives range from relief to optimism to wariness.

The new community engagement team, “really is a model of coordination of services and relief for the community in terms of making the calls and ensuring that the gaps in the community for response … are addressed, frankly,” said Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury. “Because people get tired of calling 911 or 311, and then never get the resolution.”

What would the team actually look like? City staff who are visible in the community, Fleury explained, connecting with businesses and residents. As issues emerge – maybe it’s a pattern of petty crime or activities related to mental health or addiction challenges – staff could take that information and work with partners to respond.

They’re expected to start their outreach work in the first quarter of 2022.

When you take the historic concentration of social services and supports in a single geographic area, and add to it changes in the drug supply, mental health and housing challenges, “it really starts to create a pressure cooker of a situation,” said Ottawa Markets executive director Zach Dayler, “where residents are frustrated, businesses are frustrated and absolutely, those who need these services are frustrated.”

For Dayler, it’s critical to not just identify the problem but to consider what he called “action-oriented solutions,” and if community stakeholders are on board, to find ways to contribute to those solutions.

Take the engagement team as an example. Ottawa Markets could step up and offers space in their ByWard building for that team to operate out of, Dayler suggested.

“I actually think if we’re going to have a robust solution to the problem, we have to dig a little bit deeper collectively in those things.”

Meanwhile, Ottawa Markets is doing its own planning to address one of the challenges it sees – the morning-after disarray from ByWard Market nightlife – in the form of an employment program offering a few hours of work cleaning up and resetting the area for low-income residents served by local organizations. There’s also a plan to provide a space next season for those who are creators to sell their wares.

The median household income in the ByWard Market and Lowertown areas are $54,686 and $34,677, respectively, according to Ottawa Neighbourhood Study data.

“When I compare that to our Parkdale market, for example, where the average income is over $100,000, you think, ‘Gosh, well, yeah … We need to structure the space for those who are here.’ And start building in more ownership,” said Dayler.

Sandra Milton, whose portfolio on the Lowertown Community Association executive involves community safety, said the association wants to work with the city, and understand more about the community engagement team pilot project and whether it will address the issues they have.

These include improperly discarded drug supplies, public drug use and bathroom behaviours. “Really we are looking for decentralization of services, said Milton. “We have many social services, many shelters, the injection sites … We cannot continue this way.”

Sandy Hill is seeing many of the same challenges, according to Action Sandy Hill Community Association president Susan Khazaeli. Longer-term solutions also include, in her eyes, stopping the concentration of social services in the ward, as well as a safe-supply drug policy approach and significant affordable housing investment. More immediately? Additional needle drop boxes, garbage receptacles, some public bathrooms and more proactive patrolling in the community to connect people in distress with the appropriate services.

Ottawa Inner City Health Executive Director Wendy Muckle said she thinks the community engagement team is a great idea. Area residents and businesses see around them a community that has changed, and Muckle believes it’s important to understand their perspective.

“I do think that the conventional way that those voices have been heard isn’t working for people right now. They don’t feel like they’re being heard. And so this is a great way to make sure that … people are asked directly and do have a voice in things.”

As for the broader ByWard Market and Lowertown mental health strategy, it’s a model the city is working on with Ottawa Inner City Health, public health, the police service, social service providers, businesses and resident representatives, said Gibbons, which will be piloted in the area. The project has been allocated $435,000 from the police budget, and Gibbons said implementation is slated for Spring 2022.

The plan is to develop a 24/7 community response team “to assist local residents and business owners in resolving issues using a neighbour-helping-neighbour model,” she said, as well as to increase “clinical care outreach” to people struggling with mental health or addiction, and to “facilitate seamless transitions to existing programs, services and sectors.”

There’s an app being designed for residents and businesses to report, in real-time, incidents of concern.

“Information from the app, combined with expert knowledge, will be analyzed and actioned in an effort to reduce social disorder, provide support and care needs of individuals and make changes to service systems to better support the community,” said Gibbons.

Muckle also sees community-derived data as an important tool. It can help determine if something is a pattern, rather than a one-off incident and whether a situation can be resolved through an individual intervention or calls for a system-level change.

“This is really a process to bring people together for them to decide as a community, what’s a problem, what’s not and what do we want to do about it?” she said.

Lowertown Community Resource Centre executive director Matthew Beutel sees potential for the mental health strategy to be beneficial. “The devil, of course, will be in the details and how it’s rolled out and how folks are involved,” he said.

For Beutel, the process has to be “properly inclusive,” and involve adequate consultation and consideration of all stakeholders – including those residents who live in Lowertown but don’t have organized representation.

It also wasn’t clear to him by this point the extent to which the initiative would lead to “an increase in the appropriate services by the appropriate people,” and whether increased resourcing and investment to respond to needs would be provided.

“Because if it’s just a strategy of what should be done without accompanying resources to get it done, then it’s not going to be worthwhile.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...rket-lowertown

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 4:33 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I moved the public toilet discussion over here:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=215810

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 12:40 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Church's 'temporary' parking lot drives talks about future parking solution for ByWard Market

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jan 19, 2022 • 1 hour ago • 3 minute read

Ottawa’s landmark church on Sussex Drive could continue having a “temporary” parking lot, driving the frustrated local city councillor to pursue a proposal that could solve a future parking problem for the ByWard Market.

Under the city’s zoning, about 40 per cent of the parking lot behind the Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica is considered temporary, requiring the Catholic Archdiocese of Ottawa-Cornwall to apply for multi-year exemptions if it wants to keep operating the commercial lot.

The city’s planning committee on Jan. 27 will be asked to endorse a three-year exemption, to the dismay of Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury and the Lowertown Community Association.

The first exemption was granted in June 2005 and it has been extended three times since then, with the last one expiring in May 2018.

Meanwhile, the city is moving ahead with its plan to transform the public realm of the ByWard Market , including replacing the Clarence Street parkade with a destination building.

According to Fleury, the city plans to release a request for expressions of interest in February to develop the building. The city sees an opportunity to move parking to an underground structure somewhere on the edge of the Market, making the church parking lot an attractive site.

The city has a reserve account for parking projects “and this would fit the bill,” Fleury said.

“There’s a unique opportunity here where the source of funds to build underground parking might not need to come from the archdiocese,” Fleury said. “The city might be interested in that. Striking a working group and advancing that will be my intention.”

Fleury said a turnover in administration at the archdiocese has delayed conversations, which he said went quiet during the pandemic.

The 142-spot parking lot behind the church has two different planning approvals attached to it.

The south part has 85 spots and was made permanent by city council before amalgamation. The 57-spot north section, which once had two buildings, has been considered a temporary parking lot to help the archdiocese raise funds for redevelopment and church maintenance.

The archdiocese’s current position is laid out in significant detail in planning application documents filed at city hall on behalf of its planning consultant, Fotenn.

There have been various redevelopment schemes for the parking lot, but the work has been impacted by several events, including the amalgamation of the Ottawa and Alexandria-Cornwall dioceses, relocation of head offices, the COVID-19 pandemic and the instalment of a new archbishop.

According to a planning rationale by Fotenn, the archdiocese “is not in a position of financial or administrative stability to resume the long-term planning of the parking area.”

The temporary portion of the parking lot has been in non-conformance since 2018, leaving the archdiocese to either use the lot for church-specific purposes only or apply for another exemption to use it as a commercial lot to generate revenue.

It’s a complicated moment in Ottawa’s planning history to be considering a “temporary” parking lot.

The city is in between official plans — the new council-approved official plan awaits provincial approval — and the latest update generally has stronger language deterring surface parking lots downtown.

Still, both versions of the official plan allow temporary land uses, like a parking lot, and planning staff endorse another three-year extension for parking at the church. The current parking arrangement is “functional,” the planning department said in a report.

For years, the Lowertown Community Association has been on the city’s case about allowing the temporary parking lot.

Warren Waters, planning chair with the association, says people need to understand the history of the temporary lot to appreciate why residents are upset.

The two buildings that once stood there were heritage structures and the community, through the city, was assured there would be a replacement development when the former Ontario Municipal Board approved a site plan in 2005.

“The whole city should care about that, regardless of who the developer is,” Waters said.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-byward-market

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 2:35 PM

I had posted an article on this a few weeks ago on the General Rumors thread. To reiterate my position, I don't see why this parking lot is being targeted. It's surrounded by stone walls and trees. It's probably the least offensive surface parking in the Market, and a little out of the way to boot.

As for an underground parking structure that would replace the Clarence garage, we have thing think of the broader transportation plans. If Alexandra stays open for cars, then this site makes sense. If the new bridge is for trams, peds and cyclists only, it's no longer an idea site.

Digging a deep parking garage next to a near 200 year old church should also be questioned (condo building might be 1 or 2 levels, but as the main Market garage, it would need to go deeper).

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I had posted an article on this a few weeks ago on the General Rumors thread. To reiterate my position, I don't see why this parking lot is being targeted. It's surrounded by stone walls and trees. It's probably the least offensive surface parking in the Market, and a little out of the way to boot.

As for an underground parking structure that would replace the Clarence garage, we have thing think of the broader transportation plans. If Alexandra stays open for cars, then this site makes sense. If the new bridge is for trams, peds and cyclists only, it's no longer an idea site.

Digging a deep parking garage next to a near 200 year old church should also be questioned (condo building might be 1 or 2 levels, but as the main Market garage, it would need to go deeper).

How do you figure? For traffic coming from the east, at least, it would be more convenient than the existing parking garage, no?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:30 PM

Wow!!! Thats great news didn't know they were already going ahead with the Destination Building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Church's 'temporary' parking lot drives talks about future parking solution for ByWard Market

Publishing date: Jan 19, 2022 • 1 hour ago • 3 minute read

Meanwhile, the city is moving ahead with its plan to transform the public realm of the ByWard Market , including replacing the Clarence Street parkade with a destination building.

According to Fleury, the city plans to release a request for expressions of interest in February to develop the building. The city sees an opportunity to move parking to an underground structure somewhere on the edge of the Market, making the church parking lot an attractive site.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-byward-market

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
How do you figure? For traffic coming from the east, at least, it would be more convenient than the existing parking garage, no?
Yes, but coming from the west, they would have to drive deep within the Market. Might be better to have two smaller garages at each end (ex. the Cathedral and the Courtyard Marriott) then one big one.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 9:50 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Planning committee blesses two-year extension of 'temporary' parking behind Notre Dame church

Publishing date: Jan 27, 2022 • 15 minutes ago • 2 minute read

The Catholic archdiocese’s prayers were partially answered Thursday when the city’s planning committee allowed an extension of a paid parking area behind the Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica.

Instead of the requested three-year exemption, the committee would only allow two years.

At issue are 57 parking spaces of the 142-space lot behind the landmark church on Sussex Drive. The 57 spaces at the north end of the lot have temporary zoning that allows paid parking. The rest of the lot has permanent zoning for paid parking.

The archdiocese has applied for three-year zoning exemptions for the north portion of the lot since 2005 after it demolished two heritage buildings, vowing to pursue a redevelopment plan for the area.

Bernard McDonell, interim chief administrative officer for the Catholic Archdiocese of Ottawa-Cornwall, told the committee there’s a lack of organizational capacity to pursue a development and archdiocese staff are still assessing the impact of COVID-19 on revenue sources, which largely come from parishes.

McDonell said the archdiocese hasn’t been making gobs of money off the paid parking and the money is going into a redevelopment fund.

The archdiocese has had to consider what kind of development would be financially sustainable.

The archdiocese considered a new head office and a retirement home for priests, but McDonell said COVID-19 has called into question the need for downtown head offices and the retirement home wouldn’t fund development costs.

“We are back to square one, not because we don’t want to develop the land, but because this needs to be studied,” McDonell said.

The Lowertown Community Association has called on the city to stop granting zoning exemptions to the archdiocese.

City planning policy generally frowns on surface parking lots in the downtown area.

The archdiocese has been in violation of the zoning bylaw for three years since it didn’t have an active exemption for public paid parking in the north area of the lot.

Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury said it’s the right time to move on a development project. Borrowing interest rates have been low, construction costs will go up and the city could be an interested redevelopment partner, he said.

Fleury has floated the idea of the city partnering with the archdiocese on an underground parking project at the site, since the city wants to redevelop a municipal parkade in the ByWard Market.

“We need two to tango,” Fleury said. “We need a partner to dance here.”

Accepting or rejecting the archdiocese’s request doesn’t get the city closer to a redevelopment of the church parking lot, observed Coun. Glen Gower, co-chair of the committee.

If the committee didn’t allow the extension, the church could still using the parking for its own purposes, but not for public paid parking.

The opposing councillors in the 8-3 vote allowing the two-year exemption were Jeff Leiper, Shawn Menard and Scott Moffatt. Council votes on Feb. 9.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...re-dame-church

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues