HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 6:35 AM
Hello World

I propose a much bigger amusement park be built on the Richmond Nature Park ground. It will go from No.5 Road to Garden City Road. Right beside it will be the 99 Hwy and the Canada Line for excellent transportation option. There are farmlands south of the Westminster Hwy that can be expanded into if the park turns out to be extremely popular. It's the perfect place to build a mega amusement park in Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 6:48 AM

even at best Vancouver has maybe 2 million within range of it - within a reasonable 3 hour drive - a few more if you count seattle - but people aren't that willing to cross the border these days - Kelowna is too far, the island involves an expensive ferry ride and takes a long time

Toronto has what 11 million or so within 3 hours of it?

I don't know the stats for Kentucky but I am sure there is a much larger reach than here in a 3 hour radius

anyway - I would support anything but I remember all the news articles from the 90's when they were going to build a park in surrey - michael jackson was suppossed to be involved in one

and than that idea fell through and than someone said we should move the PNE there and that fell through

and than someone was going to build the worlds largest water studio for movies in the same spot

but none could ever happen cause really vancouver is just too isolated and doesn't have the population to support it

the park in seattle is no better than playland - it just looks prettier and it has the bonus of the waterpark as part of it - attractions don't look any better than what we have

anyway - what we do end up having is the natural wonders and people seem to support those - capilano bridge does well

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 6:19 PM

Actually no, Louisville has a metro population of just over 1 million and the whole state is at 4 million people. Metro Vancouver's population is OVER 2 million

Also, the planned theme park in Surrey was always contingent on the PNE moving out there. When that fell through, so did the theme park proposal. The current PNE site was also considered, but would have had to be drastically altered. (which obviously would have never been allowed).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 6:48 PM

Another tidbit to consider when worrying about the mythical population problem; when the PNE came into existence nearly a century ago, Vancouver had a smaller population than Winnipeg! And yet somehow, magically, they drew more people to there fair than ANY OTHER CITY IN CANADA, including much larger cities like Toronto and Montreal.

If they would have had the same type of attitude as some of you here, they wouldn't have even tried to get it off of the ground. The "can't do" attitude of this region boggles the mind

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 6:58 PM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Actually no, Louisville has a metro population of just over 1 million and the whole state is at 4 million people. Metro Vancouver's population is OVER 2 million

Also, the planned theme park in Surrey was always contingent on the PNE moving out there. When that fell through, so did the theme park proposal. The current PNE site was also considered, but would have had to be drastically altered. (which obviously would have never been allowed).
But if you look at Louisville's location within the state, you'll see it is right along the border with Indiana. Large metros such as Indianapolis and Cincinnati are within a closer driving distance than Seattle is to Vancouver. Within the 2.5-3.5hr driving range there is also Dayton, Columbus, and Nashville. Those 5 metros add about another 8.2 million people within a reasonable driving distance. Within that time, most people in the state of Kentucky can reach Louisville as well, adding another 3 million. Within that time about half the state of Indiana can reach Louisville as well adding at least 1 million more excluding Indianapolis. So those metros including Louisville, the state of Kentucky and half the state of Indiana are roughly 13.5 million people.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 7:00 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
even at best Vancouver has maybe 2 million within range of it - within a reasonable 3 hour drive - a few more if you count seattle - but people aren't that willing to cross the border these days - Kelowna is too far, the island involves an expensive ferry ride and takes a long time
sadly, you're right in your observation that people aren't willing to cross the border as much these days.

however, your population figures are grossly underestimated. considering Metro Vancouver has a population of 2.4 million, if you include anything within a 3 hour drive of Vancouver, you're looking at around 6.6 million people.

a reasonable 3 hour drive will take you to Seattle (metro is 3.3 million), as well as places like Chilliwack (metro 81,000), Abbotsford (metro 160,000), Bellingham (metro 186,000), Victoria (metro 384,000), and Nanaimo (metro 92,000).

that may be half of what Toronto has to offer, but thats still a massive and impressive chunk of people.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 7:40 PM

Kamloops and Kelowna can both be a 3 hour drive.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 7:56 PM

^^^ Yes. According to google maps Kamloops to Surrey is 3hrs 22mins. considering people will most likely drive over the speed limit it is very likely that you can make it there in under 3 hrs. Kelowna however is quite a bit further 3hrs 47mins. But I think if the park is good enough people will come from places even further away.
Ooh and neglecting any major traffic problems and no waits at the border Seattle is only 2hrs 10 mins! If only we could speed up getting people across.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 8:19 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

^yeah, i did Vancouver to Kamloops, and it was 3h 42min. Kelowna i didn't even consider as i thought it was further away.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
But if you look at Louisville's location within the state, you'll see it is right along the border with Indiana. Large metros such as Indianapolis and Cincinnati are within a closer driving distance than Seattle is to Vancouver. Within the 2.5-3.5hr driving range there is also Dayton, Columbus, and Nashville. Those 5 metros add about another 8.2 million people within a reasonable driving distance. Within that time, most people in the state of Kentucky can reach Louisville as well, adding another 3 million. Within that time about half the state of Indiana can reach Louisville as well adding at least 1 million more excluding Indianapolis. So those metros including Louisville, the state of Kentucky and half the state of Indiana are roughly 13.5 million people.
Yes that is true, but remember most of those cities listed have large amusement parks all of their own. So when you break down the number of parks found in the area to the ratio of population, Vancouver is still under-served in that area.

Also, refer to my above post regarding the birth of the PNE. If they had used population as the sole deciding factor to open a fair, then surely they never would have even put one shovel into the ground. However they did and out drew the CNE which in its location had a much larger proportionate population than exists between the 2 cities (Toronto and Vancouver) today.

The current PNE draws fewer people to its park than it did 20 years ago. But wait...surely that can't be....the population has almost doubled during that time period. But the site hasn't improved....in fact its regressed and has been bypassed by the CNE, the Calgary Stampede (which is only 10 days and whose attendance the PNE USED to dwarf) and is now even in danger of being unseated by the piss poorly run Klondike Days (or whatever they are now called). It is a total disgrace. Also, even with the shitty Playland, the city of Vancouver seriously considered closing it and only didn't since Playland brings in the only source of revenue to help pay for the maintenance of the moat which costs between $2-4,000,000 a year to upkeep.

Also, take the case of that splendid mega-metropolis that is Edmonton, Alberta. They have a waterpark AND amusement park all under one roof. Not to mention at the time of its construction, the largest mall in the world. (guess somebody forgot to deliver the memo telling them they had much too small a population to pull off such a feat). Ditto to the operators of EXPO 86 which doubled the attendance of the 82' worlds fair in Knoxville. Again if you solely used a 5 hour driving distance as a factor, that feet should have been impossible to accomplish. In short, think big; and even if you fall short, you get something good, think small, and you get nothing even if you succeed.

Last edited by EastVanMark; Mar 25, 2009 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 9:39 PM

^^^^Could not have agreed more with that post.

Playland needs to build something new to keep the demand up. It's not going to draw a North American wide crowd so to keep the locals coming, there needs to be something there that is new and exciting(other than a mini-golf course which doesnt cut it). Why would I want to go to Playland every year when its the same year after year. There might be a problem with land(not really sure of the legistics there but Im sure there are alternatives) but amusement parks have to be new and exciting. Don't get me wrong the wooden rollercoaster there is a classic and I enjoy it everytime I go there, but other than that there is nothing else. Unless I want to pay $20 or whatever to go on the "Revelation" which is really the only thrilling ride there.

Last edited by KPELLY; Mar 24, 2009 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:

no there was a theme park idea that involved michael jackson and some arab investors were looking into a theme park - it had nothing to do with the PNE

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 11:17 PM

anyway we can all agree playland is a crapfest at best

if the numbers jived and it was possible we would have had a spanking new theme park already - the 90's there was lots of buzz about it

calgary has calaway park http://www.calawaypark.com/ its small and works well enough

we have enough of a population to support something like that I think but even than Playland would need to shut down for someone to do something

I don't know if anyone remembers a small park out in langley that shut down in the 1980's - just off hwy #1 - does anyone remember the name of it?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
no there was a theme park idea that involved michael jackson and some arab investors were looking into a theme park - it had nothing to do with the PNE
That was a rumor and a pretty crappy one at that. Total B.S. Too see other fake rumors check out who the papers at the time had buying the Grizzlies and saving them from moving. A good reference point to any good BS rumor is that they almost always contain "mysterious unnamed investors" usually rich oil sheiks as was the case here, or an eccentric Asian Billionaire.

Last edited by EastVanMark; Mar 25, 2009 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 1:24 AM

I am glad that there are some people on here who agree with me. No, a giant ferris wheel, a decent year round water park, a decent theme park, a 6 flags, brighter and more vibrant lighting/signage in commercials areas, a better night life, decent waterfront public markets, etc... do not make a city world class on their own, but they are all components that help create a world class city. Just the same way having dense housing in the downtown core and trees along your roads alone does not make a city world class. We need to put all these pieces together. Also, this is not just for tourists, but for the youth and families and general public at large within the metro area and indeed all areas within that 3 hour drive limit who crave more variety and fun in their home town. Not everyone has the mega bucks to take vacations to Florida, California, Asia or Europe. Of course the nay sayers can pick out every little problem with such ideas, and yes some of these ideas are far fetched, but it is this kind of thinking that does lead to solid proposals and a city that does not stop evolving and becomes innovative. I am sure 30 years ago if you told someone that the False Creek flats were going to become one of North Americas premier communities and that Whistler was going to become North America's #1 ski resort they would have laughed at you, said that those projects are economically silly and that "Vancouver does not need such touristy things and does not need to be dense like an Asian or European city."

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:41 AM

i'm not poo pooing ideas I am just playing the opposite side to do so

i am sure if you had the opposite view I would oppose it just to do so - to spark discussion...

you know whats sad or funny this exact theme park was discussed at skyscraper city in 2005 according to the archives

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:42 AM

Quote:
That was a rumor and a pretty crappy one at that. Total B.S. Too see other fake rumors check out who the papers at the time had buying the Grizzlies and saving them from moving. A good reference point to any good BS rumor is that they almost always contain "mysterious unnamed investors" usually rich oil sheiks as was the case here, or an eccentric Asian Billionaire.
no one said it wasn't a rumour

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 2:28 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Focusing on local needs is the #1 piority for Metro Vancouver. Like Metro-One said, adding a theme park or some other tourist attaction does not make us a world-class city. We must focus on our needs first, improve our infrastracture, build more community centres, schools, etc. I don't want to see our traffic in the future like L.A.'s. Once we get all the componets going, that's the time when we can put it all together.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Canada Day Parade – July 1st
The organizers of Vancouver’s very successful Santa Claus Parade have been asked by Heritage Canada to present a proposal for a Canada Day Parade to tie in with the Canada Day Celebrations at Canada Place. At this point in time no response to the proposal has been received, so no specific work has been done to determine a route. However, if Council gives approval in principle for such an event, FEST will work with the organizers to determine a
route that would either pass or end at Canada Place, allow good access for viewers and participants and cause the least possible disruptions to transit service in the area.
Does anyone know if the parade is a go ahead?

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPELLY View Post
^^^^Could not have agreed more with that post.

Playland needs to build something new to keep the demand up. It's not going to draw a North American wide crowd so to keep the locals coming, there needs to be something there that is new and exciting(other than a mini-golf course which doesnt cut it). Why would I want to go to Playland every year when its the same year after year. There might be a problem with land(not really sure of the legistics there but Im sure there are alternatives) but amusement parks have to be new and exciting. Don't get me wrong the wooden rollercoaster there is a classic and I enjoy it everytime I go there, but other than that there is nothing else. Unless I want to pay $20 or whatever to go on the "Revelation" which is really the only thrilling ride there.
Agreed, the wooden coaster and the Revelation are the only things worth going on. I don't know why Playland thinks that replacing an old crappy ride with a new crappy ride is going to make it more popular. They keep increasing prices, but nothing has improved except for fright night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment