HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 12:49 AM

^ I had no idea the Toy District was -that- bad... Jeez! It's amazing it took this long to get the police department on their asses.

I don't buy the argument that some of these business owners are unable to speak English and thus shouldn't get tickets. They know it's not okay to litter.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:18 AM

I used to hate LA before I even bothered to visit or educate myself about it. Sure there are many negative aspects about it, but the positive ones, the diversity and people, the energy, and natural beauty have made me do a 180 on the city. I loved visiting LA, there is no place quite like it on earth.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:46 AM
Registirred User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
The real photographers should be credited. It seems only fair.
My thoughts as well.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 6:08 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
That's the famous Skid Row. Gentrification will soon take care of all that garbage.
Okay but what are we going to do about/for the homeless?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 1:48 AM
Gatinois et fier

i don't know if it's normal for L.A but you would never see a city that dirty in Canada.

this one is WOW.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 485 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 2:05 AM

THat In an OUt of Buger must bet the most famous in the world!

Great pictures!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 6:47 AM
Environmental Sabotage

[QUOTE=gatt;2642811]i don't know if it's normal for L.A but you would never see a city that dirty in Canada.

No that's not "normal" for LA but it is common in that particular part of LA. LA has one of the largest homeless populations in the country and they tend to congregate at night in the toy district due to an ample supply of boxes from shipments every day and a lack of people at night. Ironic too because LA has a vibrant economy and a low unemployment rate but then again were talking of a metro area of 18 million people too.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 9:41 PM
Gatinois et fier

i see.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 485 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 1:04 AM
Registered Hipster

If I had a lot of money, I'd definitely relocate to the Los Angeles area, it has some of the best weather in North America.

I'd just make sure I live in one of those snazzy Orange County gated communities.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 2:26 AM

"i don't know if it's normal for L.A but you would never see a city that dirty in Canada."

To be fair, this is probably one of the only streets in LA that actually looks like this. And there are many, many streets in LA.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 2:30 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
"i don't know if it's normal for L.A but you would never see a city that dirty in Canada."

To be fair, this is probably one of the only streets in LA that actually looks like this. And there are many, many streets in LA.
Yes. There are plenty of dirty streets in LA but few streets are actually THAT dirty.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 7:47 AM

Some amazing photography. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 8:55 PM

I loathe LA. I've been about 5 times and every time I'm glad to leave. The smog alone is a reason I would never live there... its absolutely disgusting. Plus the fact that the whole metro area just seems like one massive sprawl of unimaginitive buildings, generic big box stores and nothing worth seeing in between. I would chose to live in San Francisco, New York or Chicago WAY before LA.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I loathe LA. I've been about 5 times and every time I'm glad to leave. The smog alone is a reason I would never live there... its absolutely disgusting. Plus the fact that the whole metro area just seems like one massive sprawl of unimaginitive buildings, generic big box stores and nothing worth seeing in between. I would chose to live in San Francisco, New York or Chicago WAY before LA.
Thats interesting because from my experiece, there actually arent that many big box stores. Far outnumbered by other stores anyway. Maybe you visited the parts of LA County that arent really LA

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 10:32 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Good for you! Though I don't know why you've been here 5 times if you hate it so much.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 2:12 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Fortunately you're just flat wrong about "unimaginative buildings" and there are few "big box stores" in LA proper except for a few malls in the valley and I guess the beverly center.

As far as sprawl I could only find the Sierra Club's 1998 top 10 rankings for the most spawled major cities in the usa which in order are:

Atlanta; St. Louis; and Washington, D.C.;Cincinnati;Kansas City, Mo.; Denver; Seattle' Minneapolis-St. Paul; Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.; and Chicago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the US Bureau of Census Data 2000 census:
"By 1990, Los Angeles was the most densely populated Urbanized Area in America. No other urban area provided so little land per resident."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep Los Angeles has crappy air pollution but that's more to do with weather patterns such as inversions that occur mainly western cities such as LA (the worst) Salt Lake City, Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas and the central valley cities of CA. Fortunately LA has some of the highest pollution standards in the country, but yes it still is the most polluted.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 4:28 AM

yea why is the downtown so small for the city of this size?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Urbaner View Post
yea why is the downtown so small for the city of this size?
For the sake of all the LA forumers... I hope nobody gratifies this comment with any kind of meaningful response.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 5:18 AM

Liked LA before I lived there, but I had really only experienced west LA and the valley. After moving there I found it to have too much dirt, graffiti, traffic, homeless people and garbage. It's not just skid row. With the exception of West LA and the valley the city is gross, boring and depressing. Try taking the blue line from downtown to Long Beach, or experience East LA, South Central, etc. Even Burbank/Glendale seems to be stuck in the 50s and is downright depressing. I much prefer Laguna Beach, where I now reside. The pics and essay are superb, BTW.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2007, 5:53 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by amel70 View Post
Liked LA before I lived there, but I had really only experienced west LA and the valley. After moving there I found it to have too much dirt, graffiti, traffic, homeless people and garbage. It's not just skid row. With the exception of West LA and the valley the city is gross, boring and depressing. Try taking the blue line from downtown to Long Beach, or experience East LA, South Central, etc. Even Burbank/Glendale seems to be stuck in the 50s and is downright depressing. I much prefer Laguna Beach, where I now reside. The pics and essay are superb, BTW.
Soooo... you know "with the exception of West LA and the valley" spans an area larger than most major cities in their entirety??? Too bad the areas that are "gross, boring and depressing" to you are in some of the most diverse neigborhoods in the world. Anyway, I suppose you're adverse to diversity and 50's nostalgia.

Last edited by dktshb; Feb 23, 2007 at 6:02 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos