HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Regardless of dates, it will be odd to lose the symbolism of having Macdonald representing 'Canada West' in western Ottawa and Cartier representing 'Canada East' in eastern Ottawa on prominent parkways.

This is the nation's capital and where else could this be achieved but immediately adjacent to the Ontario-Quebec border and leading towards the Parliament buildings from both directions.

I do understand reconciliation but we should not be totally ashamed of our nation's history and the significance that these two men brought in creating this country.

Would any of us have been better off if we simply allowed ourselves to be absorbed into the United States and much of our population sucked southward towards less frigid climates?
Problem was that Harper renamed the Ottawa River Parkways to John A. after we stared looking into the residential school system as a blemish on our past, and he "apologized" for it. For sure, I could understand the thought behind renaming the east and west Parkways for the two founding fathers, but it seemed unnecessary considering they are already well represented in Ottawa's toponymy.

Quote:
You know, there are Ottawa families who lost their sons in the second Riel rebellion and I am fairly closely connected to one of those families. It would be politically incorrect to honour those lost members of the NWMP.
I guess we better re-write the history books on Riel. Cop killer!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 2:26 PM

My biggest annoyance in Ottawa are street names changing constantly. I can somewhat understand the historical changes in our geography, resulting in the Somerset-Wellington West, Richmond, Robertson, for example. Trim though, with three or four segments, it would be fairly simple to rename all but one considering the few residents and businesses with addresses on the street along the northern segments.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:41 PM
You call that a knife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
We've already reached the point where streets are named after corporations (Home Depot Drive) which is almost certainly the biggest sin of all.
Hershey Drive is the greatest of all time and smells of chocolate for perpetuity and you can't convince me otherwise

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That's probably best nowadays.
And our cities will be even more bland than they already are as a result.

(I am more than willing to accept stuff named for prominent figures I do not like.)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 7:40 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
My biggest annoyance in Ottawa are street names changing constantly. I can somewhat understand the historical changes in our geography, resulting in the Somerset-Wellington West, Richmond, Robertson, for example. Trim though, with three or four segments, it would be fairly simple to rename all but one considering the few residents and businesses with addresses on the street along the northern segments.
I am lucky that my street has only changed from "place" to "rue" in the 16 years I've been here.

Which I still think is stupid. It's shaped like a letter Q and only has one way out.

I don't think anyone would mind changing Trim Rd. to something else. Sounds like a great place for hair stylists or lawnmower salesmen.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Regardless of dates, it will be odd to lose the symbolism of having Macdonald representing 'Canada West' in western Ottawa and Cartier representing 'Canada East' in eastern Ottawa on prominent parkways.

This is the nation's capital and where else could this be achieved but immediately adjacent to the Ontario-Quebec border and leading towards the Parliament buildings from both directions.

I do understand reconciliation but we should not be totally ashamed of our nation's history and the significance that these two men brought in creating this country.

Would any of us have been better off if we simply allowed ourselves to be absorbed into the United States and much of our population sucked southward towards less frigid climates?
Counter history always difficult but to completely reject McDonald you have to kind of argue the world is better off without Canada. That seems ridiculous.

If we actually had any concrete actions it would be easier to take but it's all empty symbolism and dollars thrown with very little impact.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 4:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Counter history always difficult but to completely reject McDonald you have to kind of argue the world is better off without Canada. That seems ridiculous.

If we actually had any concrete actions it would be easier to take but it's all empty symbolism and dollars thrown with very little impact.
I would just like point out that this morning I am posting from unced-

Uh... never mind.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 4:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I am lucky that my street has only changed from "place" to "rue" in the 16 years I've been here.

Which I still think is stupid. It's shaped like a letter Q and only has one way out.

I don't think anyone would mind changing Trim Rd. to something else. Sounds like a great place for hair stylists or lawnmower salesmen.
I wonder if you haven't misinterpreted that post by J.OT13.

I read it as a complaint about the same stretch of road changing names several times along its course. Like Old Montreal Road which becomes St-Joseph, then Montreal Rd., then Rideau, then Wellington, and so on.

I don't believe he was talking about taking Hunt Club Road and re-naming it Jim Durrell Boulevard or something like that.

That being said, it's quite common in big cities of the world for streets to change names multiple times even over short distances. For example in Paris and London most streets change names every couple of blocks, generally at ever major intersection in fact.

A street keeping the same name over a very long distance across the city is a very North American (or maybe "new world") thing. Most of the world does not do this, even if it might be more practical to do so in terms of navigating the city.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 6:20 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
I throw Manscape Avenue and Treasure Trail Way into the naming pot.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 9:33 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Ah yes, the wine district!
Aylmer also has the Animal district (Loup Gris, Raton-Laveur, Orignal, Canard, Carcajou, etc) and the Apple district (Spartan, Mcintosh, Lobo, Fuji, Cortland) to go along with the aforementioned Space and Museum districts.
The apple one I can understand. It used to be an orchard.

The Animal district is just dumb. Developers are just getting lazy.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 9:35 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post

Can't wait for them to open up the Brazilian Landing Strip.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Or just "Treasure Trail", prairie-style.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 9:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The apple one I can understand. It used to be an orchard.

The Animal district is just dumb. Developers are just getting lazy.
This is an interesting site. Helps if you can read French though. Not sure if it exists for Ontario or Ottawa.

https://toponymie.gouv.qc.ca/ct/toposweb/recherche.aspx

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is an interesting site. Helps if you can read French though. Not sure if it exists for Ontario or Ottawa.

https://toponymie.gouv.qc.ca/ct/toposweb/recherche.aspx
On the one hand, I wish we had a site like this for all Ottawa streets (or Canada wide anything, really). On the other hand, these may bring on a wave of controversy and name changes. Ignorance is often bliss.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 3:14 AM

The best street names in Ottawa will always be Mulder Ave intersecting with Scully Way.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 3:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
On the one hand, I wish we had a site like this for all Ottawa streets (or Canada wide anything, really). On the other hand, these may bring on a wave of controversy and name changes. Ignorance is often bliss.
I am too lazy to look it up now, but somewhere on the City of Ottawa website is a databank of approved new street names, that haven't been used yet.

I was on there a few years ago out of curiosity. Didn't find what I saw very inspiring.

Though IIRC Ottawa has approved a future street named for (Wayne) Gretzky.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 5:53 PM

I have been working on this project over the last two years. I welcome insights into street names not covered. Note that it only covers the area that was at one time part of Gloucester Township.

http://www.gloucesterhistory.com/Glo...et%20Names.pdf

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 6:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

An

Quote:
I have been working on this project over the last two years. I welcome insights into street names not covered. Note that it only covers the area that was at one time part of Gloucester Township.

http://www.gloucesterhistory.com/Glo...et%20Names.pdf
Wow! There is a lot of work in there.

One thing I noticed: for the "saints" streets in Convent Glen North, I've always thought they had a ski theme going on there: St-Jovite, Ste-Agathe, Fortune, St-Moritz, Vorlage, etc.

And one area that is not on your list is to the north of the wines sector around Voyageur Dr. There the theme seems to be the colonial exploration era: Paddler, Explorer, Raftsman, Acadian, Fairwinds, Arrowhead, Driftwood.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
The best street names in Ottawa will always be Mulder Ave intersecting with Scully Way.
https://goo.gl/maps/NFBiAVKkKAHvCZSw6 If you've ever watched the TV show (shown on TVO) called Heartbeat then this will be of interest.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Wow! There is a lot of work in there.

One thing I noticed: for the "saints" streets in Convent Glen North, I've always thought they had a ski theme going on there: St-Jovite, Ste-Agathe, Fortune, St-Moritz, Vorlage, etc.

And one area that is not on your list is to the north of the wines sector around Voyageur Dr. There the theme seems to be the colonial exploration era: Paddler, Explorer, Raftsman, Acadian, Fairwinds, Arrowhead, Driftwood.
Great! I have put this out a few times on other sites and I got some feedback. This is very helpful. Thanks Acajack.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion