HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
The facade? The crown? The plaza? Anything that isn't just the massing?
Yes, exactly that. Also the layout and configuration of what's inside, or outside as amenity space goes. But the facade would be among the most important of the details we don't have.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:58 PM
BANNED

But I'm talking about the shape of the tower (including the number of setbacks, etc.). I think that these "massing models" depict almost precisely what it will look like from the outside.

There is no reason to believe that the shape of the towers will be anything different from what has been revealed thus far. I think that they're both decent towers.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2018/11/270...manhattan.html

Last edited by JMKeynes; Nov 14, 2018 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:12 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
But I'm talking about the shape of the tower (including the number of setbacks, etc.). I think that these "massing models" depict almost precisely what it will look like from the outside.

There is no reason to believe that the shape of the towers will be anything different from what has been revealed thus far. I think that they're both decent towers.

Nobody is saying that the massing will change, although it certainly can. We're still almost two years away from this thing being under construction, and there are still options with more development rights. The massing that was depicted is where it stands now. But it gives us none of the design details of the tower.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:27 AM
BANNED

I’m quite pleased with this tower. All I’m saying is that this is very likely the shape that it will have. We’ve seen the design. I also suspect that the facade shown in the rendering of the plaza for the taller version is what we’ll get since Foster is intent on making it “respect” its neighbors.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I’m quite pleased with this tower. All I’m saying is that this is very likely the shape that it will have. We’ve seen the design. I also suspect that the facade shown in the rendering of the plaza for the taller version is what we’ll get since Foster is intent on making it “respect” its neighbors.
That was basically a rehash of the tower as it stands. We've only seen the massing (shape) as far as what the design entails, but the details will offer far more.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:02 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Happens all the time. A general idea to give to the city planning, and the details follow later on. As we've all be seen, proposals are submitted to city planning, but once further revisions are added, and a project continues to develop in the design change, alterations are made. Sometimes, even the massing change.

I think we are all just very excited and impatient. I know I am (the suspense hurts).

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:26 AM
BANNED

I’m pleased with the design and the height. If Norm delivered a black 1,000’ version of 50 HY, I would have been disappointed.

It’s a shame that we likely won’t get the 1,566’ height, but I’ll gladly take 1,400’.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:37 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

CTBUH has this listed at:

Quote:
Height: Architectural 426.7 m / 1,400 ft
Height: To Tip 426.7 m / 1,400 ft
Floors Above Ground 70
Tower GFA 224,882 m² / 2,420,610 ft²
I think the consensus is the "action with condition".

Shame too because I tell ya, from a design perspective, assuming massing design but with facade changes, the "no action" base looks better.

On a side note, this might be an incredibly quick "demo" job.

Quote:
Proposed 2018
Construction Start 2020
Completion 2024
Pretty much a year for demo, which with a 700 ft tower, is quite quick and historical in that respect!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:40 AM
DENNAB

^^^ Sometimes CTBUH info is outdated. They know what we know much of the time. Figures could be likely to change a bit (hopefully higher )

Quote:
I’m pleased with the design and the height. If Norm delivered a black 1,000’ version of 50 HY, I would have been disappointed.

It’s a shame that we likely won’t get the 1,566’ height, but I’ll gladly take 1,400’.
I think the 1,400 figure is without a crown/architectural element etc. It could be a bit higher...

I like it too, I don't mind simplicity (I loved the original Twin Towers).

I'm not sure how I feel about the setbacks though. It would be nice to have at least one side where you can look ~450 meters straight up on such a massive building.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Shame too because I tell ya, from a design perspective, assuming massing design but with facade changes, the "no action" base looks better.

On a side note, this might be an incredibly quick "demo" job.

Pretty much a year for demo, which with a 700 ft tower, is quite quick and historical in that respect!
Chris,

Have you ever seen the Japanese machine that demolishes skyscrapers? I wonder if it will be used here.

https://www.fastcompany.com/1681268/...the-inside-out

Last edited by JMKeynes; Nov 15, 2018 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 1:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
^^^ Sometimes CTBUH info is outdated. They know what we know much of the time. Figures could be likely to change a bit (hopefully higher )

I think the 1,400 figure is without a crown/architectural element etc. It could be a bit higher...

I like it too, I don't mind simplicity (I loved the original Twin Towers).

I'm not sure how I feel about the setbacks though. It would be nice to have at least one side where you can look ~450 meters straight up on such a massive building.
That’s true. The Madison side has less setbacks though.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 1:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

They only use what information is available, and that's what the massing diagram says (although it does say + 1,400 ft, they're not going to use that). And that 1,400 ft figure itself was to the top of the bulkhead, not exactly the architectural tip. But that's the type of design information that hasn't been released.

Anyway, there was a negative determination, meaning they find no cause to go against the "with action" or enclosed plaza scenario.

It's currently at the community board and borough president level for input, both advisory.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 1:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Chris,

Have you ever seen the Japanese machine that demolishes skyscrapers? I wonder if it will be used here.

https://www.fastcompany.com/1681268/...the-inside-out
That's pretty cool. First time hearing it.

I wonder how they will demo it because its a very quick time table especially as they can't implode it.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 2:56 PM
New Yorker for life

It's pretty much glass and steel. I predict we will be amazed at the speed of which this will come down.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's pretty cool. First time hearing it.

I wonder how they will demo it because its a very quick time table especially as they can't implode it.
It is a cool machine, and if it diminishes the need for union labor, so much the better.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:52 PM
BANNED

^Let me elaborate on your anti-union sentiment. Public sector unions are the enemy of taxpayers, not private sector unions. Private sector unions (think construction workers) are comprised of hard-working people whose high labor rates are usually worth the cost for quality workmanship. Their costs are passed onto consumers. Consumers aren't forced to pay for any product, unlike taxpayers who must pay for public sector unions. Hope this made some sense.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Let me elaborate on your anti-union sentiment. Public sector unions are the enemy of taxpayers, not private sector unions. Private sector unions (think construction workers) are comprised of hard-working people whose high labor rates are usually worth the cost for quality workmanship. Their costs are passed onto consumers. Consumers aren't forced to pay for any product, unlike taxpayers who must pay for public sector unions. Hope this made some sense.
I respect your opinion, but I oppose all unions. They're essential in developing economies, but they're an anathema in developed economies. As they say, "We can agree to disagree."

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Take this union discussion elsewhere. Everyone knows New York is a union town, and the vast majority of the projects here get built with union labor. The discussion of whether you are for or against unions has nothing to do with the discussion here.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
Jesus, is it really gonna be this fat? It's like MetLife on steroids.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:58 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Oh, yes indeedy it will.

Don'r forget that this and 277 have the huge bases set apart from the main "shaft". 245's sits atop the podium, which isn't much wider.

And all three's ft^2'age are justabout equal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction