HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 2:43 AM
BANNED

I just hope that no one signs onto this like they didn’t for the other two proposals and that this, like those, dies. We need fresh blood that doesn’t include Larry or Foster.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 4:41 AM
Fake News

Seeing this now I’ve had flashbacks to when I first joined this site watching this development closely. It’s been 2 decades and still nothing has risen. This new version has some positives and some negatives and a lot will depend on materials. Ultimately though I’m not sure anything will live up to the expectations that have been built up around this site.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 4:24 PM
JoeCooper

God what a mess. I'm really hoping this is just practice and not the final product. The obstruction of Tower 1, especially from this, from the Brooklyn Bridge is just sinful...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
God what a mess. I'm really hoping this is just practice and not the final product. The obstruction of Tower 1, especially from this, from the Brooklyn Bridge is just sinful...
Pretty sure that view is gonna be blocked by Tower 2, no matter the design.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
In my 3d model:

The design is growing on me. The top of it leaves a lot to be desired. The rest, though, is quite nice. It adds a lot of texture to the WTC complex. The setbacks are quite nice in relation to the other buildings. It's not bad at all, like a solid B+.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 5:11 PM

There is no way to know how current or accurate this design is but as far as what it is I will say that it is a nice look and fits in but needs a little more heft at the pinnacle. I like the traditional look.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 5:28 PM

too bad they can't cover up that mess of a "spire"!

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 5:44 PM
BANNED

The ridiculous thing about this tower is that it doesn’t even have that many outdoor spaces. LAME!!!!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
The ridiculous thing about this tower is that it doesn’t even have that many outdoor spaces. LAME!!!!
from what I can tell, this design has a lot more outdoor spaces than the Foster design with the diamonds.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 6:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
from what I can tell, this design has a lot more outdoor spaces than the Foster design with the diamonds.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Why does it need outdoor spaces? It looks fine other than the thin wedge on top.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 6:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySky View Post
Why does it need outdoor spaces? It looks fine other than the thin wedge on top.
Outdoor spaces drove the redesign. Silverstein said that the original design was””is outdated.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Outdoor spaces drove the redesign. Silverstein said that the original design was””is outdated.
I apologize for not knowing that but it does have setbacks and terraces. What type of outdoor space do they want without making the building look gaudy?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySky View Post
I apologize for not knowing that but it does have setbacks and terraces. What type of outdoor space do they want without making the building look gaudy?
Who knows? I just hope that this latest iteration fails like the prior ones did.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 7:35 PM

I would cut the spire of 2 wtc to see better the roof of 1 wtc

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
I would make it wider. The size and height of the building will block the view from certain angles regardless.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 9:15 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
Why? Who the hell cares about seeing the value engineered spire and roof of 1WTC, a building thats only slightly less of a let down than this 2WTC concept, if that's even what it is.

Lets face it, 1WTC's mehhh both in height and sculptural beauty set the stage for the mehhh of the rest of the WTC complex. 4WTC is my favorite, but really the rest is and is on its way I'm afraid of being kind of forgettable architecturally. It started with the ill-conceived Libeskind height plan and sort of sailed more or less downhill from there. The painful likely truth is that if developed now probably would have seen 1 and 2 WTC built at 1,700+ feet.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Credit: bmosborne
It fills the gap but at the same time, not only is it out of place with the rest of the WTC complex, it is out of place with the rest of the buildings in Lower Manhattan. The texture in this render makes the future 2 WTC seem like a beach condominium skyscraper that belongs in some place like Miami but is randomly placed as a last resort to fill the gap in the WTC complex. In other renders like the ones posted by rgarri4, it looks like a taller, tweaked version of 125 Greenwich Street, specifically when viewed from the Brooklyn Bridge.

Even with the rise and popularity of quirky designs, this would be the most random addition to the WTC complex and Lower Manhattan as a whole. I can't imagine why anyone would approve such a design when the site has been vacant for as long as it has and every possible design of 2 WTC has been closely scrutinized and changed at the last minute.

There has been no other news about this reported in more detail anywhere except New York YIMBY so it isn't even certain this is the final design. If it is, I have to wonder whether the developers' goal at this point is to fill the gap in the skyline as soon as possible and in any way. It doesn't seem like that has been a priority for a long time and they were more than happy to let the site lie vacant.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtrade2021 View Post
It fills the gap but at the same time, not only is it out of place with the rest of the WTC complex, it is out of place with the rest of the buildings in Lower Manhattan. The texture in this render makes the future 2 WTC seem like a beach condominium skyscraper that belongs in some place like Miami but is randomly placed as a last resort to fill the gap in the WTC complex. In other renders like the ones posted by rgarri4, it looks like a taller, tweaked version of 125 Greenwich Street, specifically when viewed from the Brooklyn Bridge.

Even with the rise and popularity of quirky designs, this would be the most random addition to the WTC complex and Lower Manhattan as a whole. I can't imagine why anyone would approve such a design when the site has been vacant for as long as it has and every possible design of 2 WTC has been closely scrutinized and changed at the last minute.

There has been no other news about this reported in more detail anywhere except New York YIMBY so it isn't even certain this is the final design. If it is, I have to wonder whether the developers' goal at this point is to fill the gap in the skyline as soon as possible and in any way. It doesn't seem like that has been a priority for a long time and they were more than happy to let the site lie vacant.
If it does move forward, I hope they chose the glass carefully to minimize the quirk. I don't like it in this rendering, but if they skin it like 1 WTC or 4 WTC, it would look a lot better.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 5:00 AM
JoeCooper

Now that one thinks about it it kinda resembles the Willis Tower in Chicago; especially from the southwest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction