HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 4:01 PM

Maybe chrysler will go to cabelas . if it would make a good rv dealship it will make a great car dealership..

Probrably up for a firesale price..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The current location is cramped, and they did purchase the property next to the Hampton Inn for a relocation. Perhaps they've decided that a relocation is not worth the cost.

There have literally been tens of millions of dollars spent on new, expanded or relocated auto dealerships in greater Moncton over the last several years. Moncton Chrysler actually stands out a bit by staying put.......

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
If you pushed me for an opinion, I would generally agree with mmmatt's speculation above.

I think the fact that Kelsey's is locating in Wheeler Park is a strong vote in support of the future of this particular retail district. I presume this to mean that additional redevelopment is in the offing, development that will offset the loss of Costco. I imagine the owner of the Kelsey's franchise is aware of this.

Similarly, I don't think Kelsey's would be locating here if the Cineplex complex were planning on leaving Wheeler Park. The synergy between a movie house and a neighbouring restaurant is just too great. For this reason, I really don't take the rumour of a Cineplex move to the old Cabela's site seriously.

I do think the Cineplex at Wheeler Park is due for an upgrade. The current interior layout with two wings containing theatres radiating off a central ticketing and concession hub is a bit awkward. The layout at their Champlain Place location is much better. In addition, as I have previously stated, IMAX wants into Moncton. Cineplex is also rolling out their Rec Room concept in the east (opening soon in the Avalon Mall in St. John's, and maybe sniffing around Halifax (at least according to Halifax ReTales blog)). I honestly think Moncton might be on their horizon too.

So, does Cineplex renovate the current location in Wheeler Park, or do they start fresh in the old Costco location? The current multiplex is hemmed in, so to locate an IMAX and Rec Room here would be difficult. Sacrifices would have to be made. The number of screens would have to be reduced.

To me, the obvious thing to do would be to build afresh in the old Costco location. This would be plenty big enough for an eight cinema multiplex, an IMAX theatre and an attached Rec Room. There would likely be enough room for an exterior restaurant pad too. Such a complex would be a huge draw for Wheeler Park.

This is purely speculative however. I have no inside information, but I can see the stars aligning.........
The current Costco is a Tilt-Up style building. I don't think it is too far fetched nor expensive to add onto such buildings.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:38 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Good to see you back mmmatt!!
I’m always here lurking in the shadows...something about two kids under 5 keeps me too busy to post much though

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:10 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

CF Champlain Update:

Bikini Village has moved into their new permanent location between Jump+ and Hot Topic.

Pizza Delight renovations are now complete.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 10:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Huddle article about the new Moncton Costco, and the Granite Centre in general:

http://huddle.today/new-moncton-cost...bpwcmbvBK-0GbQ

- Costco will probably be ready to open November 23rd.
- No time frame yet for Home Hardware, but their relocation to the Granite Centre is confirmed.
- Collier's states they are working closely with three other retailers planning on opening in the Granite Centre. Announcements may be made by the end of November.
- They have been approached by other retailers expressing "strong interest", some new to market "premium, experienced-based stores."

Quote:
“The goal is to grow the Greater Moncton Area as a retail destination area,” Hennessey said. “In doing so, we’d end up with more hotel rooms booked, we end up with more sit-down restaurant sales, and that’s the overarching theme of what we’re trying to do with the development – it’s to make it more and make it different than what’s already here.”

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 7:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Signage going up for the new Kelseys:

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 11:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Huddle article about the new Moncton Costco, and the Granite Centre in general:

http://huddle.today/new-moncton-cost...bpwcmbvBK-0GbQ

- Costco will probably be ready to open November 23rd.
- No time frame yet for Home Hardware, but their relocation to the Granite Centre is confirmed.
- Collier's states they are working closely with three other retailers planning on opening in the Granite Centre. Announcements may be made by the end of November.
- They have been approached by other retailers expressing "strong interest", some new to market "premium, experienced-based stores."
UPDATE - The T&T says Costco has confirmed an opening date of November 16th.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to this post on the Wrap City FB page, they will be starting construction of their new store at the Mapleton Centre (former Pannizza location) very soon.

https://www.facebook.com/wrapcitymon...location=group

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I would say that the opening date for the new permanent lululemon store at CF Champlain is imminent. I peeked through the crack in the door of the construction barrier this evening and you could see store employees moving inventory around.

This weekend I wonder? Certainly very soon......

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
According to this post on the Wrap City FB page, they will be starting construction of their new store at the Mapleton Centre (former Pannizza location) very soon.

https://www.facebook.com/wrapcitymon...location=group
Quote:
I would say that the opening date for the new permanent lululemon store at CF Champlain is imminent. I peeked through the crack in the door of the construction barrier this evening and you could see store employees moving inventory around.

This weekend I wonder? Certainly very soon......
both positive news. I had gone to Pannizza after they had opened, and thought there location, products, and pricing might not have been properly set for the market I hope Wrap City does better in this location. They seem to have a better selection of items, and better pricing.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 11:35 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to respected online retail blog Retail Insider, iconic Maine retailer LL Bean is planning on entering Canada in a big way.

Plans are for immediate e-commerce and warehousing in Canada (shipping from Canada rather than the US), and an expectation of opening up to 20 bricks and mortar retail stores within the next decade.

The first store (not surprisingly) will open in Toronto, but there is no information on further roll out. Given what LL Bean has done in the States, I would suspect the vast majority of their Canadian stores to be in the top 10 largest Canadian cities.

It is not beyond the realm of possibility however that, given the historical relationship and loyal customer base for LL Bean in the Maritimes, that one or maybe two stores might end up being located here too. I predict Halifax, and maybe Moncton.

Personal note - if the timing were right, something like this would be ideal for the Granite Centre. It would also be a nice fit for the former Cabela's store, but I can't imaging BPS selling (or leasing) this location to a direct competitor.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 1, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
According to respected online retail blog Retail Insider, iconic Maine retailer LL Bean is planning on entering Canada in a big way.

Plans are for immediate e-commerce and warehousing in Canada (shipping from Canada rather than the US), and an expectation of opening up to 20 bricks and mortar retail stores within the next decade.

The first store (not surprisingly) will open in Toronto, but there is no information on further roll out. Given what LL Bean has done in the States, I would suspect the vast majority of their Canadian stores to be in the top 10 largest Canadian cities.

It is not beyond the realm of possibility however that, given the historical relationship and loyal customer base for LL Bean in the Maritimes, that one or maybe two stores might end up being located here too. I predict Halifax, and maybe Moncton.

Personal note - if the timing were right, something like this would be ideal for the Granite Centre. It would also be a nice fit for the former Cabela's store, but I can't imaging BPS selling (or leasing) this location to a direct competitor.
I have previously stated that LL Bean would be a great fit for the old Cabellas building. Perhaps Cordova buys it from Bass Pro and try’s to convince LL Bean to locate there, as I doubt Bass Pro would sell it to LL Bean directly and allow a competitor into the market.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 1:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I have previously stated that LL Bean would be a great fit for the old Cabellas building. Perhaps Cordova buys it from Bass Pro and try’s to convince LL Bean to locate there, as I doubt Bass Pro would sell it to LL Bean directly and allow a competitor into the market.
Yes, the old Cabela's store would likely be perfect for LL Bean, both in terms of style and size.

The only sticking point is that Bass Pro Shops owns the building and would likely be disinclined to have a competitor in Moncton for their current Dieppe store.

Even if Cordova bought the building back from BPS, they would likely stick a clause in there stating that the building couldn't be used for a similar style business......

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, the old Cabela's store would likely be perfect for LL Bean, both in terms of style and size.

The only sticking point is that Bass Pro Shops owns the building and would likely be disinclined to have a competitor in Moncton for their current Dieppe store.

Even if Cordova bought the building back from BPS, they would likely stick a clause in there stating that the building couldn't be used for a similar style business......
That is quite common. There was restrictive wording attached to the sale of the old Canadian Tire building on Mountain Road.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 2:44 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:

You got to admit though. If they don't want anyone putting a store in there of similar nature, that's pretty bold of them considering it could only be used as an outdoor store. I mean the cost to renovate that building so it suits any other type of business, you might just as well build a new building from scratch.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 1:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a good article from the Financial Post regarding LL Bean's intentions in Canada.

https://business.financialpost.com/n...to-boost-sales

I found this quote interesting:

Quote:
Bean will benefit from strong brand awareness, Kastner said, partly because many Canadians have shopped in the company’s flagship store in Maine.

“Everybody that I mention L.L. Bean to has a story or a fond memory. There’s an emotional attachment to the brand, much like there is in the U.S.,” he said
Maritimers certainly have a strong emotional attachment to LL Bean. Many people I know (including myself) would make annual pilgrimages down to the LL Bean store in Freeport. This has tailed off with the thickening of the US border, but if I am passing through Freeport, I will still drop in.

If this "emotional attachment" is a major part of the LL Bean expansion strategy, then there is no way that Bean will ignore the Maritimes in their expansion plans.

If I were in charge of property development at Wheeler Park, Mapleton Crossing or the Granite Centre, I would be on the phone right now discussing the virtues of partnering with LL Bean. Having an anchor like this in any shopping development would be huge, and would help to draw other destination retailers in as well.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:03 PM

I'm a bit surprised by LL Bean wanting to come to Canada, there's a certain anti-american sentiment going on and people are trying to patronize Canadian based retailers and companies. I recently read a piece in the Globe and Mail or National Post, that said that american based retailers don't have the same panache or attraction that they once had. I could see their attraction here in New Brunswick, but I'm not sure if they would succeed elsewhere in Canada...

Right now international (non-US) retailers are very attracted to Canada and are wanted on the Canadian retail scene, particularly the high-end and luxury segment.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 6:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Reposted from the Moncton (East) thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
This post appeared on my FB account.
FRI, NOV 16 AT 8 AM
Grand Opening Costco Moncton
Costco Moncton · Moncton, NB
I wonder how early in the morning the line-up will begin forming.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Reposted from the Moncton (East) thread:

I wonder how early in the morning the line-up will begin forming.
I wonder what the price of gas will be and how long the line-ups at the pumps will be?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 7:29 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I wonder what the price of gas will be and how long the line-ups at the pumps will be?
I've been told 6 cents per litre less than the city average so depending on where it comes down or up between now and then we should except it 6 cents under that. Example would be today it should come in around $1.125

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces