HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Great to see. Let's pray for decent weather.

I still find it absurd to be playing outdoor soccer, in mid-November, in Edmonton.
Take it with a big grain of salt, but it looks to be not too bad for the Mexico match.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/ed...t/52478?day=21

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:34 PM
Community Guy

Honestly, I hope it is -20 and blowing. Reason being it will be quite the news story.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
I still find it absurd to be playing outdoor soccer, in mid-November, in Edmonton.
Is that any more absurd than playing in near 40C, smog and altitude. I don't want it to snow but why would we want to make life easier for these other teams. It is probably the first time we haven't bent over backwards for these guys, hospitality wise, when they greet us with horns blaring all night outside of hotels and bags of piss.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Take it with a big grain of salt, but it looks to be not too bad for the Mexico match.
I never figured it would be too bad but I'd like to see it near zero. And that's no guarantee, they're both good teams (hopefully Costa Rica will run out of steam) and Mexico are likely still better than us, this is our ploy to get us a little closer to them.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:56 PM

This shows how the league where a player is playing affects the points they accrue to getting a work permit to play in England

If Canada cracks FIFA’s top 50, English interest in TFC’s Laryea could spike
Matthew Scianitti tsn.ca October 20 2021

The FA also allots points for the quality of league that a player plays in, and previous club season results. European leagues like Germany's Bundesliga, Spain's La Liga, France's Ligue 1, and Italy's Serie A are considered top tier countries, while Major League Soccer is considered a tier 4 league. More points are also given to players who feature in the UEFA Champions League.

The Football Association - Governing Body Endorsement Requirements for Men’s Players

The Football Association Men’s Players - Points Based System
2020/2021 Season (1 January 2021 Onward)

Band 1: English Premier League, the Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1 + UEFA Champions League, Copa Libertadores & various youth FIFA/ confederation/Olympic/Toulon competitions.

Band 2: Portuguese Primeira Liga, Eredivisie, Belgian First Division A, the Turkish Super Lig and the English Championship + UEFA Europa League and the Copa Sudamerica

Band 3: Russian Premier League, Campeonato Brasileiro Série A, Primera División of Argentina, Liga MX and the Scottish Premiership.

Band 4: Czech First League, Croatian First Football League, the Swiss Super League, La Liga 2, Bundesliga 2, Ukrainian Premier League, the Greek Superleague, the Colombian Categoría Primera A, the USA’s Major League Soccer, the Austrian Football Bundesliga and Ligue 2.

Band 5: Serbian SuperLiga, the Danish Superliga, the Polish Ekstraklasa, the Slovenian PrvaLiga, the Chilean Primera División, the Uruguayan Primera División and the Chinese Super League.

Band 6 means all leagues not in Band 1, Band 2, Band 3, Band 4 or Band 5.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:43 PM

Business of Sport: The English coach transforming Canadian football

Mark Chapman is joined by The Athletic's Matt Slater as they speak with Canada Men's Football coach John Herdman.

Herdman is bidding to qualify for men’s World Cup in Qatar next year for the first time since 1986, having previously seen success with Canada's women's team at the Olympics, winning two bronze medals. Listen to his story and the way that he's been able to transform a nation's prospects, whilst not always receiving the best support out there.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:53 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I suspect cold weather snow will be to the home field advantage of Canada regardless of the players just because of this fact. The average daytime high in November is around 0c which is decent playing weather and in fact is shorts weather for many a canuck, myself included... Can't wait to see the game, although I won't be attending live because that would be one hell of an experience!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:57 PM
Community Guy

0C for 3mins of the day and no wind.

I suspect it will be -5-7C with a feel of -10.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
I suspect cold weather snow will be to the home field advantage of Canada regardless of the players just because of this fact. The average daytime high in November is around 0c which is decent playing weather and in fact is shorts weather for many a canuck, myself included... Can't wait to see the game, although I won't be attending live because that would be one hell of an experience!
I have to keep saying this but there are no guarantees that this will ensure us victory (but it sure ain't gonna hurt)

Another factor in our favour is we will have several more days than our opponents to acclimatize (even moreso vs Mexico), it's not like both teams will be flying in on the same day

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 8:33 PM

Quote:
0C for 3mins of the day and no wind.

I suspect it will be -5-7C with a feel of -10.
Even then that's not terrible especially with a good chunk of the seats out of the wind. There is however a case to be made for Commonwealth upgrades and an ETFE roof, at least over the stands... Personally I think the time is now for a total retractable dome using ETFE since that tech has largely eliminated both the tearing and weight issues which doomed the first gen stadiums... Get er done for 2026 and the World Cup since Edmonton will be probably be the largest and most high profile stadium in Canada for the event...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:30 PM

Some Commonwealth Stadium roof history (edited from Wikipedia)

By 1974 there was consensus that Clarke Stadium would not be sufficient and that an all-new stadium should be built. Several locations and sizes were discussed, with Edmonton City Council in January 1975 landing on building a 40,000-seat venue next to Clarke Stadium. The venue was designed by Ragan, Bell, McManus Consultants. They based their design on Jack Trice Stadium in the US city of Ames, Iowa.

The largest discussion was related to whether the stadium needed a roof or dome. As the roof would cost $18.2 million, there was limited public support, and the stadium was built without one. In an attempt to further the roof process, the Eskimos offered to pay $1.6 million towards the roof. The Commonwealth Games did not permit an enclosed stadium, so the design would have to call for the roof to be added afterwards. Among the opponents of the roof was Commonwealth Games Foundation President Maury Van Vliet, who said experience from construction of the Olympic Stadium in Montreal showed the necessity of building a simple structure. An alternative design, which would have cost an additional $7.3 million, was launched by the Eskimos in August 1975, but rejected by the city council. A major concern for the city council was the large cost overruns being experienced in Montreal at the time.

The decision to not enclose the stadium was taken on December 10, 1975.The venue was thus not designed to allow a roof, air-filled or stiff, to be retrofitted.

Construction of the stadium was completed within budget and time. When the venue opened it had a capacity for 42,500 and a natural grass turf. Additional proposals for a roof, ranging from $10 to $32 million in cost, were presented in 1979, but since then the discussion of covering the stadium died out.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 11:06 PM

The lack of a roof is not a huge deal but it's unfortunate that a canopy over the seats was never built. When it rains all but a tiny handful of seats under the lip of the upper deck are directly exposed to it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:02 AM

Nope not a huge loss since it's still the best sports and arts venue however adding a roof would extend the usable season to year round. It's a great place, I just wish was used more. And since both tech and times have changed why not. Plus Edmonton could should and would make a great Olympic host one day. Provided the graft and corruption and scope creep were minimized. Then again that's the trend already with Brisbane 2032.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:14 AM
Community Guy

'Plus Edmonton could should and would make a great Olympic host one day.'

Now I have a special place for our fair city, but that is one of the most misguided comments in a long time.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 5:45 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
'Plus Edmonton could should and would make a great Olympic host one day.'

Now I have a special place for our fair city, but that is one of the most misguided comments in a long time.
Why do you say that?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 9:33 PM

Edmonton does an outstanding job hosting some international sports events, as evidenced by numerous examples, but in no way shape or form would the city be a suitable Summer Olympic host.

Lack of direct international connections to major cities, lack of suitable rapid transit infrastructure compared to larger cities, lack of hotels for such a large scale event, sports facilities...I'm sure I am missing a few things. Indy car, Grey Cup, World Hockey Championships, even the long ago World Track and Field Championships pale in comparison to what would be required for a 16 day international sporting event.

The smallest city in Canada which could host the Summer Olympics that would meet most, if not, all the requirements would be Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 9:58 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Why do you say that?
Different calibre, hotels, facilities, flights, dollars, transit etc. etc. etc. etc.

We do an amazing job at hosting what we host but this is another level to which only certain cities really are capable of hosting.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 4:16 AM

Lillehammer, Norway population 27,028 (2014) hosted the 1994 winter olympics.

Never say never...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 6:32 AM

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 3:35 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Lillehammer, Norway population 27,028 (2014) hosted the 1994 winter olympics.

Never say never...
1. That was 1994
2. It's very close to Oslo
3. It's the Winter Olympics (summer is an order of magnitude different)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada