HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 5:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Did you notice if they were wetting it down? If so that's usually a sign of asbestos in the debris and the demo contractor has to control the dust so they don't get a stop work order.
I would think that since they were actively renovating the building into 50 apartment units the asbestos piece would have already been taken care of since it was gutted.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
The Métis are going to own half of downtown soon. They just bought 333 Main, 191 Pioneer and the parking lot at parking lot 179 Pioneer. At least someone is investing in these buildings. Hopefully they build something on that parking lot but it'll probably be staff parking from what I can imagine.
Asking price was $33mill, that's alot of office space considering they just consolidated into 200 Main (old ACU/Wawa building). I'm assuming they don't need all that space and will be looking for tenants to fill it. BellMTS & Patterson Foods are 2 of the largest lessors.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 6:20 PM

Quote:
They could have given that money to a "real estate consultant" and gotten a fancy report like some other groups do, instead of quality brick and mortar.

I'm guessing that the MMF is not tax exempt so they pay reality taxes on all their reality holdings in Winnipeg like any other investor?
The Métis have really taken the economic reconciliation bull by the horns. Good on em. They don't have a lot of the benefits the first nations receive from the feds but still are finding ways to make money for their people. I like Mr. Chartrand's comment that economic growth goes both ways and the Métis owe it to the city to help make downtown a better place. Very classy.

Also yes, I think the MMF pay taxes.

Last edited by FactaNV; Jul 18, 2024 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 6:29 PM

I would assume MMF will sell the building on henry in the near future and clear out of that area.

MMF also have the building Number 10 designed in Selkirk, and the one planned for Roxy Lanes site on Henderson. Doing big things.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Did you notice if they were wetting it down? If so that's usually a sign of asbestos in the debris and the demo contractor has to control the dust so they don't get a stop work order.
I didn't notice anything, though I just got a quick glance from my bike on William. There was a fair bit of dust in the air, too.

Speaking of William, the pair of burned out crack shacks close to Ding Ho were also being demoed today.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I would assume MMF will sell the building on henry in the near future and clear out of that area.

MMF also have the building Number 10 designed in Selkirk, and the one planned for Roxy Lanes site on Henderson. Doing big things.
Do you happen to know of there are any renderings of the Roxy lanes site? That would be a big change for the area.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

I'm not sure how old the plan is but there was a proposal by the Metis Economic Development Organization to develop the land around 150 Henry using it as the focal point.

Even if that was just a pipe dream, in 2022 the MMF spent over $8 million to renovate the building to make it more energy efficient. I think with that investment they won't be selling soon.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how old the plan is but there was a proposal by the Metis Economic Development Organization to develop the land around 150 Henry using it as the focal point.

Even if that was just a pipe dream, in 2022 the MMF spent over $8 million to renovate the building to make it more energy efficient. I think with that investment they won't be selling soon.
I wonder if it's a commercial building in which a residential conversion would work out?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post
Do you happen to know of there are any renderings of the Roxy lanes site? That would be a big change for the area.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 9:48 PM

^Is that project still going ahead? Haven't been down Henderson in a while.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 10:36 PM

Nothing has occurred on site yet, unsure if the lanes are still open or not

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Nothing has occurred on site yet, unsure if the lanes are still open or not
I live in EK and as far as I know its closed.

The MMF did not want to operate it once they took possession of the building. I have no idea if the bowling lanes were removed or are still there pending the start of renovations.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 12:08 AM

So MMF did follow through on acquiring it? I grew up in EK, and sad as I would be to see Roxy Lanes torn down, a clone of their Selkirk building would be a big net benefit to the area.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
So MMF did follow through on acquiring it? I grew up in EK, and sad as I would be to see Roxy Lanes torn down, a clone of their Selkirk building would be a big net benefit to the area.
As far as I have heard they have bought the building but I don't know where it is on their project list.

MMF is currently doing a housing project up in the 200 block of Edison Ave in North Kildonan as of a few months ago.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 2:22 AM

From this Free Press story about the acquisition: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...ell-mts-exodus

Quote:
He [MMF President Chartrand] hinted at a future announcement regarding 280 Fort St., a building the MMF purchased years ago. The Métis government’s Winnipeg plans include applying for a permit to demolish the former Roxy Lanes bowling alley on Henderson Highway, building an apartment for seniors and affordable housing in its place.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 8:49 AM

You mean the downtown building isn’t filled up with bell employees? But it’s the western Canada corporate headquarters. It must be very full. /sarcasm

The MMF had interest in the building next to their Henry location to use for parking.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 2:24 PM

The lanes are closed. The husband of the couple that owned it passed away. The wife sold it to MMF. Was sad in the end..

IIRC that render is from the Selkirk development. Maybe TV can clarify.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 2:26 PM

Quote:

Good to know, that is a lot of money. With all the buildings there scooping up on Main St. Feels like they have a glut of space. But like was said, maybe they're just planning to be the landlord.

It's good to see them investing the money they have into real estate.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 2:57 PM

Here is the proposal the Metis Economic Development Organization had for the area around 150 Henry

https://www.themedo.ca/docs/SPD%20De...Proposal-1.pdf

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 3:05 PM

And interestingly when CP rail built the 150 Henry building it was designed to have another 3 stories added to it if the railway needed more space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan