HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
No, time is not the issue here but the cheap housing the governess wants here. We would see what the new RFP will provide on this.

And who says this?
Time is the issue here. The affordable housing can be easily provided on a nearby site.

Who say this? Economics mostly. Building proposals don't usually get built in different cities. Design elements often get reused, but whole building designs? Not really

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
And who says this?
Umm. Logic? Common sense? Pick one.

Any other site would have to have either unlimited FAR, waived caps, and/or require zoning changes which involves CBs and other groups. This is a state site so it bypasses a lot of the usual local nuisances.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 1:57 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, because this is a state owned site, it doesn't have to go through a new ULURP process. But also, because it was rezoned as part of the Hudson Yards development, it's using that existing zoning to get built. The state will, however, step in to provide any extra necessary approvals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Btw, are there any sites next to this that would also be suitable for a 1,600 ft + building close by? I assume it would have the same benefits that this one would (javits, transit, highline, Hudson Yards Phase 1 and 2 and all the benefits that they bring) but I don't know how the zoning, air rights, and other stuff would work out.
This is actually one of the smaller commercial sites, as far as zoning goes. There's a larger office site to be built in phase 2 of the railyard development. But it's also smaller in size than 30 Hudson, 50 Hudson, the Spiral, and probably 3 Hudson. It gains it's height because of the way it's built. It's similar in a way to the Tower Fifth proposal, where the bulk of the space begins up in the air.

With the Civil Rights Museum now officially a part of the proposal, as well as the NAACP headquarters, the tower has picked up a little momentum. But I'd still bet Peebles would have to build affordable housing on another site if this proposal were selected.

Original HY zoning...(707A)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 25, 2022 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 5:10 PM
New Yorker for life

I should point out that the financing is already in place for the $3.6 Billion proposal from Peebles. Depending on how the state moves forward, it could become more complicated.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 5:27 PM
New Yorker for life

https://commercialobserver.com/2022/...o-the-peebles/

Sunday Summary: Power to the Peebles!

BY THE EDITORS
MARCH 27, 2022

Quote:
Don Peebles has a vision: The developer with projects in New York, Los Angeles and Miami is busy at work with plans to build the biggest, and most inclusive, mixed-use project in history. Full stop.

This means a 2 million-square-foot mega-project called Affirmation Tower across from the Javits Center that will have a Black builder (Cheryl McKissack Daniel, president and CEO of McKissack & McKissack), a Black architect (David Adjaye of Adjaye Associates) and tenants like the Museum of Civil Rights, which is headed by the Rev. Al Sharpton, as well as the NAACP.
Quote:
The real question is whether Peebles (and Steve Witkoff who’s partnering with him) can win control of the 1.2-acre site at the state-owned 418 11th Avenue.

An initial RFP for the site was issued by then-Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s administration in March 2021, but Gov. Kathy Hochul decided to throw out the original RFP with the hopes of including an affordable housing component to the plans.
Quote:
”Obviously, affordable housing is a sensitive issue and an important issue,” Peebles told Commercial Observer in a far-reaching conversation about his plans. “But it doesn’t belong across the street from one of the largest convention centers in the United States — a tourism and economic engine for New York.”

This is a project to watch closely. Heavies like Brookfield, Related Companies, Rockrose and Tishman Speyer submitted proposals for the initial RFP. The competition should be stiff, even though Peebles is extremely confident.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 1:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 3:47 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

At least on the bright side something eventually will rise. I'm hoping for the Affirmation tower as is but with other bids, it won't go to waste. Speyer, Brookfield, Related... a ton of potential.

It's just a shame that they have to throw a wrench in a prime site. I think we are all for affordable housing but when it comes to prime sites, with projects that can completely alter the skyline for the better, and also the functionality... there are many opportunity for affordable housing but this is a site that isn't one of them, at least if that's the crutch to essentially stifle a project to begin with. For what its worth, those units, even if 300 affordable units, can go elsewhere.

I do agree with Pebbles:

"
”Obviously, affordable housing is a sensitive issue and an important issue,” But it doesn’t belong across the street from one of the largest convention centers in the United States — a tourism and economic engine for New York. "

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 5:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, it’s also a shame all of the proposals weren’t released to the public. With no affordable housing included, Hochul probably didn’t want to create an uproar over it.

Meanwhile, Peebles gets his project in LA with affordable housing moving…

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...oval?_amp=true

BY ROGER VINCENT
MARCH 28, 2022

Quote:
The developers have secured environmental approvals to build, made affordable housing commitments and completed deals with labor leaders, they said — all key elements required to proceed.

Pushing forward with the project through the economic uncertainty of the pandemic reflects the developers’ expectation that the city will bounce back, Peebles said.

“This is a bet on downtown Los Angeles,” he said.

Peebles and MacFarlane, who each have their own firms and are among the country’s best-known Black developers, won a competitive bidding process in 2017 to build a large-scale project on the site next to the historic funicular railway and a modern Metro subway stop

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 5:39 PM
New Yorker for life

https://metroairportnews.com/keeper-...toried-legacy/

BY JULIA LAURIA-BLUM
MARCH 8, 2022

Quote:
During a recent interview with Cheryl McKissack Daniel, she spoke of the completed LaGuardia Central Terminal B as ‘beautiful’, saying “The whole project took place while the airport never closed. If thinking about the traffic that goes through LaGuardia, it is amazing…restricted land, not a lot of space, the materials and equipment required for the construction…where does it go? Where do you lay down all this stuff and still have room to build a terminal? What it says to the world is that in New York, we can do just about anything! We work in small spaces. The bottom line is we get it done, especially when we have leadership that pushes through all the red tape to get it done. It’s unbelievable how New York gets any structure done, but we do it all the time.”

… McKissack & McKissack was named as the program manager who will oversee the design and construction of the new Terminal One at JFK, valued at $9.5 billion. The company will provide MWBE and community outreach management services with MWBE and veteran goals clearly set from the onset of development at 30% participation. The project will include 2.4 million square feet of space to be built on the site of the existing Terminals 1, 2 and the former Terminal 3.
Quote:
When McKissack Daniel thinks about advancing her firm in this day and time, she is grateful that she chose New York as the company’s homebase. She believes that opportunity in New York is the largest in the country with respect to construction, and that it has opened up other avenues for her family. One of those opened avenues is McKissack’s role as the developer and construction manager of the new ’Affirmation Tower’, to be located at 35th and 36th Streets, one block from the High Line, Hudson Yards and the #7 subway line.

While the Tower’s RFP has been recently pulled back by the Governor to redefine what they want to see in the actual structure, McKissack is waiting for the RFP to come back out. “We believe it’s going to be built. If it’s not built for the State, it could be for the City… or it could just be private. So, we are pushing and forging ahead on making this project happen.”

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Peebles and McKissack recently discussed this tower on a radio show called The Breakfast Club. I never heard of the show.

I tried to copy and paste the interview from Youtube but could not for some reason. Maybe someone else can.

I'm very optimistic that this will be built.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:57 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

I've seen that movie a million times and I don't remember any such discussion...

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:07 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The Breakfast Club is like THE top Hip-Hop radio show in the country, is based in NY on Power 105.1, but is syndicated nationally via iHeart Radio. It features Charlamagne Tha God, who is pretty well-renowned, and in terms of pop culture radio hosts, is up there with Ryan Seacrest and Steve Harvey as one of the top radio personalities out there at the moment. To have them bring a developer on to expose to that audience to this development is kind of cool, in my opinion.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
The Breakfast Club is like THE top Hip-Hop radio show in the country, is based in NY on Power 105.1, but is syndicated nationally via iHeart Radio. It features Charlamagne Tha God, who is pretty well-renowned, and in terms of pop culture radio hosts, is up there with Ryan Seacrest and Steve Harvey as one of the top radio personalities out there at the moment. To have them bring a developer on to expose to that audience to this development is kind of cool, in my opinion.
That explains why I never heard of it. For me, listening to Hip Hop should be among the Geneva Convention's proscribed forms of torture.

If this show is that big though, I agree that it's a big deal.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
That explains why I never heard of it. For me, listening to Hip Hop should be among the Geneva Convention's proscribed forms of torture.

If this show is that big though, I agree that it's a big deal.
You don't like Hip Hop? Lol what?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You don't like Hip Hop? Lol what?
I like Classical. Hip Hop is traumatizing in my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:23 PM
BANNED

https://patch.com/new-york/harlem/ha...harpton-wavers

Harlem's One45 Project Thrown Into Confusion As Sharpton Wavers

Nick Garber,
Patch Staff
Posted Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 2:41 pm ET

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:31 PM

Quote:
I like Classical. Hip Hop is traumatizing in my opinion.
Classical is exceedingly boring.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Classical is exceedingly boring.
That's what my kids tell me.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
That's what my kids tell me.
Eh whatever. Different tastes. Point is it's a big radio station and they had an architect on. Which is cool I guess.
Frankly Charlemagne is an idiot if you ask me but whatev.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Eh whatever. Different tastes. Point is it's a big radio station and they had an architect on. Which is cool I guess.
Frankly Charlemagne is an idiot if you ask me but whatev.
I agree.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals