HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I wouldn't quite call it bait-and-switch. CF and Shindico aren't in the game of sitting on undeveloped prime real estate. Target folded and the retail landscape has changed significantly in the last 5 years. I'm interested to see this plan come November as I've long said this should be a mixed-use development.

And Cory I agree – this will start to be redeveloped in the next couple years (if not sooner) and they will begin to make some of that money back. I have a strange hunch the province is doing the write-down as a political move to further sour the NDP. It's not like they shied away from directly targeting Selinger in the interview.
The whole stadium plan was a clusterfuck from the get go, a responsible govt. wouldn't have entered into such a risky repayment scheme. The NDP had little regard for tax dollars then or in the future.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:16 PM

^I agree with that, but the issues have nothing to do with CF/Shindico (for once) trying to be shady in any way. They would definitely prefer this space to be making money than sitting empty.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:20 PM

The idea of financing this loan based on speculative retail developments was/is stupid.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 5:25 AM

Don't think anyone would disagree with that, haha. Even the developers.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The whole stadium plan was a clusterfuck from the get go, a responsible govt. wouldn't have entered into such a risky repayment scheme. The NDP had little regard for tax dollars then or in the future.
To be fair the high risk portion of the IGF repayment plan was actually David Asper's. When he walked away from the deal and the shovel was in the ground with the three levels of government already having kicked in money what other choices were there? Being the smart businessman he likely is Asper no doubt had put a legal separation between the Bombers/BBB/IGF, his other businesses and his personal holdings meaning court action would effectively go no where.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 6:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
To be fair the high risk portion of the IGF repayment plan was actually David Asper's. When he walked away from the deal and the shovel was in the ground with the three levels of government already having kicked in money what other choices were there? Being the smart businessman he likely is Asper no doubt had put a legal separation between the Bombers/BBB/IGF, his other businesses and his personal holdings meaning court action would effectively go no where.
Seems to me Asper already new his high end outlet mall plan for the old Winnipeg Stadium site was dead in the water before he off loaded the marginal Investors Stadium plans to the province.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 8:04 PM

Not sure the exact timeline on when The Elms died v the shovels where in the ground for IGF. Either way Asper was still involved past shovels hitting the ground and the $75 million loan against the old stadium site development was basically a knee jerk reaction to Asper walking away and not putting any more money in.

--

In terms of IGF development, I am looking forward to the bronze statue of "Fire" Joe Mack outside Gate 4. Clearly the powers that be had been over indulging at the Rum Hut when they brought him in as GM and continued to employ him for many seasons. Having his statue at that gate would be a fitting tribute. /s

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 1:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Seems to me Asper already new his high end outlet mall plan for the old Winnipeg Stadium site was dead in the water before he off loaded the marginal Investors Stadium plans to the province.

....and yet he was rewarded with his old spot on the Bomber Board of Directors.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 2:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
....and yet he was rewarded with his old spot on the Bomber Board of Directors.
Well they only did give him a measly $5M for his faulty stadium plans and brilliant stadium repayment scheme.....leaving him on the BB board was the least they could do.........

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 5:11 AM
BANNED

Mmmmmmmm

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 5:37 PM

David Asper was also given rights to develop a hotel on the IGF site in exchange for "loaning" the team money to fix up the press box (the need to be enclosed issue). The "loan" is also being considered a payment against future seasons for his suite at IGF.

--

In terms of IGF design, Friday night showed there is a potential drainage issue on the field. near the hash marks on what is best described as the southeast corner of the field water significantly in that one area v the rest of the field under the same rain conditions.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 8:07 PM

Is David Asper still in Winnipeg or has he taken off to Toronto finally like his brother? Out walking the dog on Park West north of Grant I noticed the statues in front of his place (high fenced so hard to see but a wall of glass above the garages) were gone and then later noticed the place was in the city's residential sales book for this year as a 4.5M transaction that must have been off the market. Can't think of any similarly extravagant homes that sold this year that he would've bought. Nothing excessive on Wellington has been built lately other than 1021 where the fire happened. (Not that he would move there since he already lived in one of the biggest houses on the street)

Speaking of grand homes, if in Headingley take a drive off Roblin down a new street called Hermitage Rd. Some of the homes on this street are insane and make Wellington Crescent and Tuxedo look pretty underwhelming in comparison. If the residents are not hockey players then there are some seriously wealthy people in this city now.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 8:17 PM

Isn't that the old Chipman farm? But yes, there are hockey players that live out that way. Which makes sense in that its the Chipman land (possibly) and IcePlex is right there.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Isn't that the old Chipman farm? But yes, there are hockey players that live out that way. Which makes sense in that its the Chipman land (possibly) and IcePlex is right there.
I think what you refer to is actually called The Oaks and is on the north side of the river tucked behind Chapel Lawn Cemetary and Camp Manitou, and is fairly close to the perimeter. It's nice too but not as custom as the homes on Hermitage, which is on the south side of the river by Breezy Bend C.C. and seems to utilize a natural grassland environment. In the link below you can see, along with one of the nicer homes, how the entire frontage of every house to varying depths maintain the natural look. I drove through it once and the noise of the wildlife and birds was extremely peaceful.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/11+...!4d-97.3515276

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberfan68 View Post
Is David Asper still in Winnipeg or has he taken off to Toronto finally like his brother? .
He was appointed chairman of the Winnipeg Police Board in the spring of 2017 so he is very much still here in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberfan68 View Post
I think what you refer to is actually called The Oaks and is on the north side of the river tucked behind Chapel Lawn Cemetary and Camp Manitou, and is fairly close to the perimeter. It's nice too but not as custom as the homes on Hermitage, which is on the south side of the river by Breezy Bend C.C. and seems to utilize a natural grassland environment. In the link below you can see, along with one of the nicer homes, how the entire frontage of every house to varying depths maintain the natural look. I drove through it once and the noise of the wildlife and birds was extremely peaceful.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/11+...!4d-97.3515276
Ah, thank you. A couple of those houses on Hermitage were pretty intense.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ah, thank you. A couple of those houses on Hermitage were pretty intense.
I thought I head heard a bunch of hockey players bought out that way.

I visited a friend at his rather "small" home on Loudoun. One house across the street, I thought was a damn school!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 7:39 PM

Off topic slightly, but speaking of houses. Took a drive through old Tuxedo on the weekend.

Wow, some of those places that are new or renovated in the areas of Wellington and Handsart, etc. Unreal..

Like this one.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.87322...7i13312!8i6656

And the one across the street.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 8:39 PM

It will be interesting to see if the Bombers implement any changes to their event day management plan at IGF in response to the events in Edmonton this past weekend.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 10:30 PM

^I was shocked that they kept the game going considering what was happening right outside. It's not like they knew at that point that this guy was acting alone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan