HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
J1772 is L2 charging and already dominates. CCS is what you're thinking. It's slow but happening, mostly because VW was forced to create the EA network as their punishment for diesel-gate.
CCS is part of the J1772 standard, as Combo 1. But yeah. Technically I guess it's the prevalence of CCS as the fast charging alternative we are discussing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is another plug also that is apparently going the way of the dinosaur.

ChaDeMo or something like that.
Until a year or two ago, ChaDeMo was more prevalent than J1772. They lost the standards war when most of the major OEMs settled on J1772. Cars like the Leaf used to use ChaDeMo until recently. Unfortunately, those plugs are out there and will be out there for a while taking up space.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is another plug also that is apparently going the way of the dinosaur.

ChaDeMo or something like that.
Yeah that is the Japanese standard, popularized by Nissan in the early days as they were one of the only companies making an EV (the Leaf).

I'm not sure if new models ship with that connector now. Mitsubishi had it too. It's still on most fast charging stations as they just need to add another cable.

I have the Chademo adapter for my Tesla.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Until a year or two ago, ChaDeMo was more prevalent than J1772. They lost the standards war when most of the major OEMs settled on J1772. Cars like the Leaf used to use ChaDeMo until recently. Unfortunately, those plugs are out there and will be out there for a while taking up space.
Most stations are dual, they aren't really taking up extra space.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Most stations are dual, they aren't really taking up extra space.
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 5:45 PM
你的媽媽

It'll also be interesting to see where the development of wireless charging technology goes.

Quote:

Volvo has launched a new wireless EV charging trial in Gothenburg. The company has allocated a small fleet of electric XC40s to Cabonline – the largest taxi operator in the Nordic region – who will use the cars and the wireless charging pads over the next three years to see how well the system works in the real world.

The system doesn’t require the car to be connected to a charging station via a cable. Drivers can charge their cars by simply parking over a pad, and the electricity is transferred to the battery pack via inductive charging in the same way as a wireless smartphone charger.

Volvo’s says its wireless EV charging system is almost four times quicker than an 11kW wired connection. At 40kW, in fact, speeds will be comparable to a wired 50kW DC rapid-charger, meaning the XC40 taxis should be able to charge from 20 to 80 percent capacity in just over an hour.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electr...does-it-work-/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 5:47 PM

Question for EV owners:

One large difference in terms of how EVs interact with society is noise level. On one hand, they will result in quieter cities as there won't be all the exhaust noise that comes from IC engines. A definite plus.

On the other hand, at least during the early transition period - but maybe longer than that - is that the lack of noise may cause pedestrians who (lazily) rely on engine noise to detect an approaching car before they actually look, to be unaware of an approaching vehicle in a parking lot or lightly travelled road situation.

On some hybrids and PHEVs that I'm familiar with, they play a nondescript music-like sound when in full electric mode to alert pedestrians, but I haven't noticed the same when I encounter EVs in the real world. That said, it may just be drowned out by all the IC vehicles surrounding them.

My question is: Do most EVs have that feature built into them now? Can you adjust the volume or turn it off? (I guess that's two questions...)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
One large difference in terms of how EVs interact with society is noise level. On one hand, they will result in quieter cities as there won't be all the exhaust noise that comes from IC engines. A definite plus.
It's not as quiet as you think. Over about 30-40 kph, road noise dominates engine noise.

Video Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
My question is: Do most EVs have that feature built into them now? Can you adjust the volume or turn it off? (I guess that's two questions...)
I'll let others answer the question of tuning. But there are legislated noise requirements at various speed thresholds. Just gonna quote Wiki here:

Quote:
Japan issued guidelines for such warning devices in January 2010 and the U.S. approved legislation in December 2010. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued its final ruling in February 2018, and requires the device to emit warning sounds when travelling at speeds less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) with compliance by September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019. In April 2014, the European Parliament approved legislation that requires the mandatory use of acoustic vehicle alerting systems (AVAS). Manufacturers must install an AVAS system in four-wheeled electric and hybrid electric vehicles that are approved from July 1, 2019, and to all new quiet electric and hybrid vehicles registered from July 2021. The vehicle must make a continuous noise level of at least 56 dBA (within 2 meters) if the car is going 20 km/h (12 mph) or slower, and a maximum of 75 dBA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elec...ptember%202019.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 6:05 PM

I believe newer EVs have it built in, and I'm not sure if it's optional. My 2018 model doesn't have it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 6:33 PM

Quote:
I believe newer EVs have it built in, and I'm not sure if it's optional. My 2018 model doesn't have it.
I was under the impression new models were required to have an exterior sound.

On another note ( ) the interior sounds Hans Zimmer composed for the BMW i4 are pretty cool.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I was under the impression new models were required to have an exterior sound.

On another note ( ) the interior sounds Hans Zimmer composed for the BMW i4 are pretty cool.
I think they are, but some are hard to hear.

I believe you can customize the sound on Tesla's external speaker. They removed the feature allowing you to play music while driving...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 8:21 PM

My Tesla makes a UFO sci-fi sound every time you put it into reverse. I find people always look at the car when I'm backing up haha.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:22 AM

I am this close to getting a Hyundai Ioniq 5, hopefully soon, and then I saw a Kia EV6 the other day, and it's really nice too.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Well you have 3 choices today:

1. Gas vehicle
2. Electric vehicle
3. No vehicle

Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
^^^^ The vast majority of people can't afford a Tesla.

The reason why electric cars still make up such a small percentage of total vehicle sales is obvious...........they are too damn expensive and for millions, there is no where to charge them. If these two problems were not at all issues then everyone would be buying electric.
This^ Is there currently a market for used EVs? Not a chance in hell myself, or most Canadians, could afford a new one. And to everyone comparing their price to new ICE vehicle, most people can't afford new ICE vehicles either (and we know what a waste of money purchasing a new vs. pre-owned one is as they decrease significantly in value once they're driven off the lot). The used market is incredibly important and many folks rely on it, so until there is a huge influx of EVs in this market it's not reasonable to expect a lot of Canadians to drive them

Last edited by Hawrylyshyn; Apr 8, 2022 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Your point?
The point is you have 3 choices. Two of them cost a lot of money, but when you drill down, EVs are cheaper over the lifespan of the vehicle. Most people finance vehicles and are looking at a monthly payment anyway. Now factor gas vs. electricity into it.

Of course not everyone can afford a new car, or any car. What's your point?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
It's not as quiet as you think. Over about 30-40 kph, road noise dominates engine noise.
Depends on where you are relative to the road, I suppose.

I live about 100m from a thoroughfare with regular traffic (speed 40-50 km/h) and about a km from a busy highway that is going 24/7 (speed 100 - 120 km/h).

The traffic sounds I hear are mostly the low-frequency reverberations of exhaust sound from both locations. I don't hear road noise at all, except for the louder truck tires on the 100 km/h highway late at night, when all other traffic noises have calmed.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Kind of what I was wondering, but it sounds like all new vehicles will have it to some extent. I was asking because I had never noticed it in parking lot situations, but I will pay more attention from here on.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
My Tesla makes a UFO sci-fi sound every time you put it into reverse. I find people always look at the car when I'm backing up haha.
I like it when they add features that are kind of fun. Thanks for the info!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Your point?

This^ Is there currently a market for used EVs? Not a chance in hell myself, or most Canadians, could afford a new one. And to everyone comparing their price to new ICE vehicle, most people can't afford new ICE vehicles either (and we know what a waste of money purchasing a new vs. pre-owned one is as they decrease significantly in value once they're driven off the lot). The used market is incredibly important and many folks rely on it, so until there is a huge influx of EVs in this market it's not reasonable to expect a lot of Canadians to drive them
I need to wait for the secondary market to fill up before I’ll ever purchase one. Not that it’s and EV, I can’t afford to purchase any vehicle new! Though, at least here in AB in these current times, the secondary market is almost as expensive as new vehicles, that you might as well be buying a new vehicle… and while people are saying the are affordable, I think they mean the are getting affordable relative to new ICE vehicles… that said though, that is relatively speaking, but for an average Canadian to buy a new vehicle, they need to finance it, adding to their already overburdened debt, which is not good!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I am this close to getting a Hyundai Ioniq 5, hopefully soon, and then I saw a Kia EV6 the other day, and it's really nice too.
Wait until Hyundai gets smart and puts a rear wiper on the car. There are lots of complaints about this omission. Any vehicle with a close to vertical rear window needs a wiper. The EV6 might be okay without because with rear window on that car is more raked.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 5:12 PM

Quote:
The point is you have 3 choices. Two of them cost a lot of money, but when you drill down, EVs are cheaper over the lifespan of the vehicle. Most people finance vehicles and are looking at a monthly payment anyway. Now factor gas vs. electricity into it.

Of course not everyone can afford a new car, or any car. What's your point?
That saying everyone should be switching, and suggesting they're asshole if they don't drive an EV, is unwarranted. I understand many of the people here are privileged and buying a Tesla is affordable to them. To many Canadians its not and it's wrong to act superior to those who cant afford it and rely on older ICE vehicles

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada