HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 2:55 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Prospect of further LRT delay hangs over transit commission budget debate, proposed bus service improvements

Taylor Blewett, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: February 20, 2019

OC Transpo’s Draft 2019 budget, approved by the city’s transit commission Wednesday, promised a list of service improvements that address many of the concerns about bus reliability, capacity and coverage raised by transit users in recent months.

However, as Gloucester-Southgate Coun. Diane Deans pointed out, “this budget is built on the assumption – I think fair to say, false assumption – that there’s going to be a handover March 31.”

Until Ottawa’s new LRT system is up and running, OC Transpo will not implement these budgeted service improvements, which include new routes and connections, extended and more frequent service and shorter travel times.

“Injecting more change right now, especially when we don’t have the reliability that we need from the system … (it) won’t improve things,” said transportation general manager John Manconi.

That being the case, the timing of these improvements remains just as nebulous as the date the first paying passenger will set foot on a light rail train. While the Rideau Transit Group has insisted it will make the March 31 handover deadline, staff and elected officials have predicted that’s not going to happen.

In the meantime, as Manconi himself pointed out, “our customers are going through a lot of pain.”

When the transit boss discussed the draft budget, he was sympathetic to the plight of riders relying on bus routes that have been altered to make way for the new Confederation Line.

“The system has not been reliable. Everybody’s raising that with me, and I’m not denying it,” he said.

And with that in mind, OC Transpo’s 2019 draft budget has put a $5.1-million investment into expanding OC Transpo service. The improvements, said Manconi – from new north-south local service in Orléans to Connexion routes from Kanata North and Bells Corners –– were designed based on city councillor and customer feedback.

Nearly eight million capital dollars will also be put toward the acquisition of 12 new 40-foot buses to service the expansion.

But, riders will have to wait for the launch of LRT for these improvements to their bus rides. And the inherent uncertainty of this is exactly what concerned Deans, who’s not a member of the transit commission but was in attendance and posed questions at Wednesday’s meeting.

As she pointed out, “it’s become increasingly evident that the handover of the LRT system is not going to take place on March 31.” The budget, however, is based on this assumption, including a planned 2.5-per-cent fare increase come July 1 that will help pay for these improvements.

Financially, RTG is on the hook for every additional month of LRT delay-related costs, Manconi explained, noting that the city has $262 million in payments for RTG from which it can deduct these costs.

Even if council elects to extend its fare freeze past July 1 in the event of yet another LRT delay, as several councillors mused about, RTG, rather than taxpayers, will be expected to shoulder the cost of doing so, Manconi said.

“We suggest that we shouldn’t be increasing fares to our riders if we haven’t got LRT up and running. But does RTG agree?” Deans questioned.

“Quite frankly I don’t care what they think. We have to take care of our customers right now,” Manconi replied. “If it takes going to court, which would take years, that would be what we would have to do in the worst-case scenario.”

Later, pressed on the decision to budget for a March 31 handover that may well not come to fruition, Manconi said that “you do not mix policy with budget. That’s a dangerous recipe for a lot of things going wrong.”

Just like a contractor for your home, OC Transpo has entered into a partnership with RTG, he explained. “If they’re telling you you’re moving that day, and you book the mover, and then just shortly before the mover shows up at your door they say, ‘No we’re not going to have the house ready for you’ – you’re stuck with that. We’re adapting to it.”

Which means OC Transpo users can’t know, exactly, when they will get their expanded bus fleet, improvements to 30 bus routes, and 45,000 hours of additional service promised in the OC Transpo 2019 draft budget.

“I feel sorry for these customers that are out there waiting for a bus that doesn’t show up or a packed bus,” said Manconi. “The accountability rests with RTG in terms of the delays.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...e-improvements

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Can they fine RTG? Does anyone other than me suspect the RTG has some sort of corruption leading to the contract? Cough Cough SNC Lavalin Cough Cough

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Overbrook, Westboro, Sandy Hill, Cardinal Heights, Pineview, Alphabet City, Alta Vista, Mechanicsville, Cyrville (if LRT ever opens).
Which of those neighbourhooods have good local bus transit service?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Which of those neighbourhooods have good local bus transit service?
Route 49 is a perfect example of excellent service through the heart of Alta Vista. What do they get? three mid-day trips? And further service cuts on the way for Smyth Road.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
Can they fine RTG? Does anyone other than me suspect the RTG has some sort of corruption leading to the contract? Cough Cough SNC Lavalin Cough Cough
They can and have, it's been noted on the news.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Route 49 is a perfect example of excellent service through the heart of Alta Vista. What do they get? three mid-day trips? And further service cuts on the way for Smyth Road.
To be fair, most of Alta Vista (and especially the immediate vicinity of Pleasant Park Road) does not have the density to support much more than the frequencies they currently have.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaresident View Post
Can they fine RTG? Does anyone other than me suspect the RTG has some so tort of corruption leading to the contract? Cough Cough SNC Lavalin Cough Cough
They will be fined when they miss the contract again, right now we're assuming it's 2 million in penalties including the last fine. The rest involves lawsuits over the 30 million or so in extra costs that will be incurred by the city, but that will take forever to settle.

There doesn't seem to be any signs of corruption here, just incompetence

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Sigh. This is the way Ottawa works ... See signature

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
To be fair, most of Alta Vista (and especially the immediate vicinity of Pleasant Park Road) does not have the density to support much more than the frequencies they currently have.
Whatever happened? It supported a local bus route for decades at 30 minute frequency. My grandparents lived on Pleasant Park and when they were older, they were dependent on the bus getting them to Billings Bridge.

Ridership often depends on providing reasonable frequency. In the case of Route 49, it became a matter of not taking people where they wanted to go. In shopping hours, it meant taking them to the shopping centre. The service now pretty much only works for commuters. Hurdman Station is a poor transit destination for non-commuters.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Whatever happened? It supported a local bus route for decades at 30 minute frequency. My grandparents lived on Pleasant Park and when they were older, they were dependent on the bus getting them to Billings Bridge.

Ridership often depends on providing reasonable frequency. In the case of Route 49, it became a matter of not taking people where they wanted to go. In shopping hours, it meant taking them to the shopping centre. The service now pretty much only works for commuters. Hurdman Station is a poor transit destination for non-commuters.
Couldn't they still go to Elmvale Acres for most daily shopping needs? I'm not sure if the change in terminus to Hurdman was the cause of the route's decline. More likely a change in demographics and habits of the general population.

I am by no means an expert in the route and don't live in the area, I'm just not surprised that an area that looks like a low-density single family home suburb is getting service that reflects that.

*Edit* Also going to once again have a quick rant about one of my pet peeves - the R1 zoned housing around Pleasant Park station... if the City was serious about TOD they would upzone that to R3 or R4, but no its a "mature, stable, residential neighborhood" or something to that effect... well too bad, its next to a transit station and should accommodate transit users not whoever is rich enough to be able to own a single family home on a quarter acre next to transit station in the center of the city!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
To be fair, anyone who would be using the 49 is also within walking distance of either the 44 (15 minute all-day service on Alta Vista Dr), or the 48 or 55, which both look to be every 30 minutes all day.

Given the choice to add extra trips to the 46, 48, 49 or 55, my choice would be any of the routes other than the 49.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:

The Baby Boomers happened. They decided that they needed multiple cars per family even if they couldn't afford it, and all those car payments would drive them into debt. To be fair, they were the richest generation and could best afford those car payments, but they set the expectations for future generations.

Your grandparents likely only had one car (as did their neighbours) so they relied on bus service when they wanted to go to different places. Once their generation moved out, the new residents had multiple cars so transit was only needed if they worked downtown (if that).

We are starting to see a reversal of trends with Generation Z (those born between mid to late 90's and about 2009) and transit will be more important for them, though their transportation needs are fewer so it won't be a full reversal. They haven't quite started buying homes yet, but soon will. Having said that, it is unlikely they would want to live somewhere like Alta Vista though, so it will mostly be for the Millennials, who act more like the Baby Boomers.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 8:16 PM

If OC revised the 49 so that, outside of rush hour, it headed south on Riverside to Data Centre Rd and then served Billings Bridge before heading back to Hurdman via the Transitway, do you think that would help ridership?

It would provide a 1-bus connection to Billings Bridge but at the expense of making the trip to Hurdman significantly longer.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
If OC revised the 49 so that, outside of rush hour, it headed south on Riverside to Data Centre Rd and then served Billings Bridge before heading back to Hurdman via the Transitway, do you think that would help ridership?

It would provide a 1-bus connection to Billings Bridge but at the expense of making the trip to Hurdman significantly longer.
I think the primary draw of the 49 (like most routes) is commuters headed to/from downtown.

Much like how the 48 was recently extended to Hurdman on weekends, I don't think it would make a lot of sense to reroute the 49 to take a longer route to get to Hurdman.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 8:28 PM
BANNED

Maybe a new route from the area to Hurdman and beyond or a loop could be added.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 8:42 PM

I noticed on the bus stops along Tremblay Rd eastbound the indication "No transit fare required" (at least, it looked like that from across the street riding westbound). Searching online I couldn't find the reason why - any ideas?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveat.doctor View Post
I noticed on the bus stops along Tremblay Rd eastbound the indication "No transit fare required" (at least, it looked like that from across the street riding westbound). Searching online I couldn't find the reason why - any ideas?
It's because of the closure of the pedestrian access to St Laurent station. Will go away once that access re-opens.

Last edited by TransitZilla; Feb 21, 2019 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 8:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveat.doctor View Post

My best guess would be due to it being so close to the train station.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 9:07 PM

I don't know how we generate ridership on any route inside the Greenbelt based on token service.

I understand that there may have been a demographic change since the days of my grandparents, but it is more than that.

Any local route is dependent on transit destinations to generate ridership. In the day, Route 49 (then 85) served Elmvale, Canterbury (High School and apartments), Billings Bridge and Carleton University. For a while it went beyond to St. Laurent.

Then they decided to merge the local and express routes, eliminated transit destinations, straightened the route eliminating density, local access, and wondered why ridership fell. This is a case where straightening a route backfired.

They should have never done what they did. They should consider reverting to a compromise with peak service going to Hurdman and off-peak to Billings Bridge.

We shouldn't assume that the transit planners are experts on service in every neighbourhood without flaw. They have made mistakes in other areas, and continue to make mistakes. Whether the mistakes get rectified depends on how effective local residents are in voicing their displeasure.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
It's because of the closure of the pedestrian access to St Laurent station. Will go away once that access re-opens.
Ah, thanks. Now that I know to add "St Laurent" to my Googling the story comes up (https://www.ligneconfederationline.c...ion-Begins.pdf). Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation